Shar Melee Ranger vs Nightshade

Started 2 Apr 2020
by joqin
in Hibernia
I plan to level a stealther for solo play. I plan to stop through BGs briefly and enter level 50 rvr once i have a few ranks and some experience. What are pro's and cons to each class?

Which class do you think I'll enjoy more?

Which class has a higher skill ceiling?

Which class can 1vX better?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Fri 3 Apr 2020 1:54 AM by gotwqqd
I’d go with ns just so you can climb into keeps
Fri 3 Apr 2020 12:06 PM by thirian24
I never tried either, but if I were going to, I'd pick NS.
Fri 3 Apr 2020 6:24 PM by protege
Melee Ranger if you want to fight once every 15 minutes at level 50. Purge & IP 4-5 are a must for every fight pretty much versus a competent assassin.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:41 AM by joqin
Ranger is that bad??
Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:58 AM by protege
joqin wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:41 AM
Ranger is that bad??

They're not bad at high RR. A couple of them are tough fights... but again, only tough fights once every 15min or so =)

Imagine losing to someone after you timer camp for 15min. Would that upset you? Then try the assassin out, imo.
Fri 17 Apr 2020 8:10 PM by daytonchambers
protege wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:58 AM
joqin wrote:
Ranger is that bad??

They're not bad at high RR. A couple of them are tough fights... but again, only tough fights once every 15min or so =)

Imagine losing to someone after you timer camp for 15min. Would that upset you? Then try the assassin out, imo.

This.

Shar melee ranger has become more popular for their survivability but is heavily dependent on RAs vs an asassin.

Personally I went the other route and focused my ranger on ranged dps and play a shade for up-close stuff
Sat 18 Apr 2020 12:04 AM by dbeattie71
protege wrote:
Sun 5 Apr 2020 12:58 AM
joqin wrote:
Ranger is that bad??

Meh, I do t wait for any timers, idgaf and head back out lol.
Sun 19 Apr 2020 8:08 PM by darkstar00
In most cases you're waiting for purge back up as an assassin, so it's really no different.

I fight without my purge up a lot but if I get stunned its usually game over.
Tue 21 Apr 2020 10:10 AM by protege
darkstar00 wrote:
Sun 19 Apr 2020 8:08 PM
In most cases you're waiting for purge back up as an assassin, so it's really no different.

I fight without my purge up a lot but if I get stunned its usually game over.

purge... 7-10min timer vs 15min for IP =)

Not the same at all, imo.
Tue 21 Apr 2020 10:24 AM by inoeth
in my experiance you can easily kill assassins without any active RA if you manage to get off the side stun as opener because mostly thats not going to be purged but in those 5s you can do really high "undebuffed" dmg, thats really underestimated imo

on high rr assassins you will mostly always need ip thats true though
Sun 26 Apr 2020 7:16 AM by Noashakra
inoeth wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020 10:24 AM
in my experiance you can easily kill assassins without any active RA if you manage to get off the side stun as opener because mostly thats not going to be purged but in those 5s you can do really high "undebuffed" dmg, thats really underestimated imo

on high rr assassins you will mostly always need ip thats true though

it was nerfed to 4s on phoenix
Mon 11 May 2020 8:22 AM by Anelyn77
NS is more challenging to play well, because you need to learn to swap weapons (sometimes several times during same fight) and knowing precisely what poisons you put on which and where etc, plus you have no IP to rely on to save you, if you fk up, you vanish or die (more often than not die after vanish too vs competent opponent), while ranger can still give you a comeback with IP.

On the other hand if you don't camp CD's on Ranger and run into competent sins, you'll find yourself back at healer so fast that you won't know what happened.

The fact that you can self buff yourself with superior buffs to combi is irrelevant vs sins as you will be super debuffed and weakened all time (except when you get the opener for few swings).

Sins can climb tower / keeps, Ranger melee spec shouldn't ever get close (if you wanted to leech rps in zergs vs zerg / sieges, you would have made a sniper and not a melee anyway) and you can pick up lonely casters trying to hero mezz or bolt some poor soul downstairs

IMHO if you want to be a stealth bad$ss melee, make a szerk / mercfil (even with DS nerf it's still damn strong) and you should beat easily CS spec'd sins and have a good fight vs melee archers - tho with all due respect am not 100% certain how viable szerk / mercfil is on phoenix compared to OF live (I played both back then and had a blast tbh), so others could chime in and shed some light on it
Tue 12 May 2020 12:00 PM by Chihuahua
Make a NS if you want a melee stealther

Make a Ranger if you want ranged stealther. For sure easier RP's due to upped bow dmg and more layd back class.

Respec Ranger at high RR to melee & race to shar if you still wanna play melee by that time.

Also Nightshade template will cost you about 100p if you want to be competetive.
Tue 12 May 2020 2:38 PM by Noashakra
Chihuahua wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020 12:00 PM

Make a Ranger if you want ranged stealther. For sure easier RP's due to upped bow dmg and more layd back class.

Respec Ranger at high RR to melee & race to shar if you still wanna play melee by that time.

Also Nightshade template will cost you about 100p if you want to be competetive.

Depends, if you use 99% rogs lifetaps instead of 100% (the difference is minimal), mine costed 40 plats.
Wed 13 May 2020 8:10 AM by Chihuahua
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020 2:38 PM
Chihuahua wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020 12:00 PM

Depends, if you use 99% rogs lifetaps instead of 100% (the difference is minimal), mine costed 40 plats.

Then yes, but it will still depend highly on weapon choices. I use for example 4 galla weapons (Sword of Sorrow & D/Q debuffs) first and then switch to lifetap/dot procs. In total i use 12 weapons which makes my template rather expensive.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics