Mentalist solo AE DoT farming?

Started 16 Jan 2020
by Horus
in Hibernia
1. Is it even possible or worthwhile?

If so..

2. Is it best to just go full mana and look for camps where mobs are close enough together to get a few in the AE DoT radius or is better to put some points into light to charm a pet and send that in to aggro mobs into a bunch, sacrificing some AE DoT damage?
Thu 16 Jan 2020 9:50 PM by gotwqqd
Just get good at casting at mob farthest away and triple cast on him so you add more as they come

Or change target

Then run and bunch up for subsequent casts
Sat 18 Jan 2020 10:27 PM by Lipsi
Horus wrote:
Thu 16 Jan 2020 9:23 PM
is better to put some points into light to charm a pet and send that in to aggro mobs into a bunch, sacrificing some AE DoT damage?

I doubt this option can work on mentalist /
- the pet you will charm with just some points into light will be too low level and will not sustain damage and will die -almost- instantly.
- The sacrifice of AE DoT damage however will persist and make it even more complicated than your 1st option.
- Also if you try charming a higher than reasonable level pet, to make it more tanky, you'll take the risk of charm being resisted while in fight, having your own pet + all the mobs aggro you instantly.
- Each tick of charm will cost power and can make power management an issue / induce resting time
- will need to find a spot where you take your pet very close to the spot where you farm mobs because your pet will die and you will need to take fresh one very often
Sun 19 Jan 2020 8:53 PM by daytonchambers
instead of putting points in light put some points into Mentalism

As of now, you do not need a pet to collect mobs. Use confusion. The way it's coded on this server makes it perfect, since when you cast it on a mob every nearby mob now sees your target as an enemy and they all attack it. It's an easy way to ball them up for a follow up aoe dot to then pull the batch.
Sun 19 Jan 2020 10:04 PM by gotwqqd
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 19 Jan 2020 8:53 PM

As of now, you do not need a pet to collect mobs. Use confusion. The way it's coded on this server makes it perfect, since when you cast it on a mob every nearby mob now sees your target as an enemy and they all attack it. It's an easy way to ball them up for a follow up aoe dot to then pull the batch.

Wow nice
Tue 21 Jan 2020 2:53 PM by Horus
daytonchambers wrote:
Sun 19 Jan 2020 8:53 PM

Hah, funny you mention this. I tried this technique on my own just to see how it would work as I remembered using confusion on my sorc back in the day....and I was surprised that it did.

Still a little tricky at low levels. The spell is resisted alot and I suspect it will only get worse. For me the jury is still out on the AE DoT technique. At 31, so far, it sometimes seems more trouble than it is worth....even with confusion seems most camps are too spread out to collect more than 3 or 4 mobs...but for certain camps it works well. I dunno...guess I'll keep messing with it.
Tue 21 Jan 2020 10:13 PM by daytonchambers
What I did as I was leveling solo since respecs are essentially free is put all my points into mentalism starting the level after getting a new aoe dot. Then when a new aoe was available empty out the mentalism spec and get the new dot, then repeat the cycle.

There are some really dense mob spawns around that are great for aoe farming, the SI expansion island N of Galla has a bazillion animals and humanoids there, good starting in your mid 30s. At lv 31ish you could still do the dampwood mites near Innis, the're a little low but you make up for that with massive pulls.

Between crack buff for groups and the aoe farming you should have no issues rocketing your way to 50. Good hunting!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics