Should I re-roll valewalker

Started 8 Jul 2019
by Lukeyluke
in Hibernia
Hi guys I'm a returning player, I haven't really played much since ToA was launched but this server seems awesome, I'm also completely new to hib.
I started playing a VW but I've been reading that they're not that great for getting into groups at higher levels.
I already don't get much time to play as it is so I want to make sure I'm investing my time In a character that will be worth my while.
If what I've read is true what class would you guys recommend for a newbie I'd like something that decent solo and I'm groups but also fairly easy to play.
Thanks in advance.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 9:04 AM by Druth
It's a must to be able to strafe side/back stun if you want to play it well, so it's not a newb friendly class.
Champion is a much easier solo class, and arguably also a better one.

If VW's were immune to archery, I'd say they were a good solo class, but you'll be torn to pieces by the hunters (and few scouts) out there without a shield.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 11:44 AM by Lukeyluke
Thanks for the reply the characters I'm currently looking at playing instead are champion/warden/enchanter.
Out of those would you say the champion is still the best/most newb friendly?
Mon 8 Jul 2019 12:10 PM by Druth
3 very different characters

Warden+ench will get groups, champ not so much.
Enchanter is okay solo, just expect to die fast to stealthers.
Warden can solo but really only in sieges, but just group when a BG is up, people will love your TWF.

All of them are fairly easy to play.

I enter territory that hibs are better at answering. But I played VW, and it's not a newb class.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 12:33 PM by Lukeyluke
And how are those characters in PVE for solo/grouping ?
Mon 8 Jul 2019 12:35 PM by Lollie
VW are a great class in the right hands, but it's held back a lot by it's combo chains, trying to pull off 3 chain blizzard blade while moving is a feat in it's self. The class does well in a the zerg, but it doesn't bring anything to the table that isn't covered better by other classes.
It is a very fun class and in one of the more easier classes to pve in since you have very little down time, it just needs a little love from the devs by lowering the combo chains a little and desperately needs a to hit bonus on its taunt style (which is your go to anytime style). All of this is just my opinion ofc.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 12:39 PM by Sepplord
Agree with Druth there....

Valewalkers definitely aren't easy to play succesful, though if you just want to zerg around in the keep-BGs having both melee and casts could be more entertaining than pure melee

Champions are king of 1vs1, it's not even funny...if you want to cruise a bit solo and bait stealthers into attacking you, then this is a good choice. Not sure how they find grps though and in sieges you are basically a melee

Wardens are popular in grps, but imo they are quit underwhelming to play. They aren't hard and can be fun, but don't expect to excel in any area of your abilitites. mediocre healing, mediocre meleedmg etc...
But still a nice addition to groups because of resists/TWF/auto-bubble

Enchanter would be my choice, it can lvl solo quite decently, is absolutely wanted for levelgroups and farmgrps, has speed and a snare-pet etc... overall imo a very goodchar to get started

but similar to druth, i don't play hib here...maybe my perecption is flawed, so get some input from actual hibplayers before making a decision
Mon 8 Jul 2019 3:50 PM by Campjr
Druth wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 9:04 AM
It's a must to be able to strafe side/back stun if you want to play it well, so it's not a newb friendly class.

If VW's were immune to archery, I'd say they were a good solo class, but you'll be torn to pieces by the hunters (and few scouts) out there without a shield.

What... they have 2 instas to keep archers interrupted.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 4:08 PM by Lollie
They also have nature's shields style, works similar to engage with the exception you don't need a target to activate it. Jusy click on the style and you get your block arrows buff
Mon 8 Jul 2019 4:33 PM by gotwqqd
Play the enchanter you have some speed do you have a pet super easy to play
Mon 8 Jul 2019 9:32 PM by Leandrys
TBH, you'll need like 50 plats+, maybe even more, or its equivalent to build a nice VW's temp'.

So... Do not play VW as a first char, very bad idea imo.
Wed 17 Jul 2019 11:40 AM by Elekur
As far as I understand you have limited time. So you dont wanna wait for grps to form since this takes time.

Champion would be your best choice.

Since people are misinforming you about VW, Template for VW is around 15-20p and champ is just 35p+++.

What i would do is get 4x lvl and join galla raids since there are more now this past few days. If you can spare 3Hours.

You need 40k feathers, thats like 4 Raids after that every feather is a gold gain.

Your goal should be to get boss credits for galladoria and Legion.
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:00 AM by Leandrys
Legion 8 plats, torso 8 plats, it's allready 16, and you still do only have one armor and one item !
Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:37 AM by Elekur
Leandrys wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 3:00 AM
Legion 8 plats, torso 8 plats, it's allready 16, and you still do only have one armor and one item !

As I said there are more raids atm which was never the case the past 6 weeks. VW Template is the easiest thing since you need only 2 MPs to cap if you dont cap arboreal.

With more Raids and the new instance the price will go down too :>
Sun 21 Jul 2019 11:29 PM by MacPrior
Lukeyluke wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 8:46 AM
Hi guys I'm a returning player, I haven't really played much since ToA was launched but this server seems awesome, I'm also completely new to hib.
I started playing a VW but I've been reading that they're not that great for getting into groups at higher levels.
I already don't get much time to play as it is so I want to make sure I'm investing my time In a character that will be worth my while.
If what I've read is true what class would you guys recommend for a newbie I'd like something that decent solo and I'm groups but also fairly easy to play.
Thanks in advance.

Forget the VW, make a reaver if you like hybrids. As a Reaver you are welcome in each Group - PvE and RvR, Small, 8 vs 8 and Zerg BG. The same in PvE Raids.
With lvl 25-30 with a bit skill you will be able to kill solo lila con mobs in shortest time and without downtime.
Or roll a Theurgist. You are welcome in each group too, but you don't actually need a group for PVE.
Sun 21 Jul 2019 11:36 PM by Leandrys
With VW you are welcome in
Mon 22 Jul 2019 11:37 PM by Pirhana7
Druth wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 9:04 AM

Um......
VWs are immune to archery, they have Natures Shield style which is exactly the same as engage with a shield except you don't need to target anyone and can block every arrow from multiple archers at once.
While Champs are a little better 1v1, VWs will do a lot more damage in a group as well as disease the main target, not allowing them to get away. Every smart 8man will want atleast 1 VW.
Tue 23 Jul 2019 7:08 AM by Druth
Thats a major improvement from Beta, the nature shield didn't really seem to work very well there.

Does it also negate npc archers? Volley? And are there no downside to it? Guess you can't use other attacks while it's active?
Tue 23 Jul 2019 8:08 AM by Leandrys
Can't use any other style of course, can't cast, work on NPCs, no damages ofc, don't know about the volley, i would be surprised if it did block it tho.
Tue 23 Jul 2019 1:55 PM by Druth
Leandrys wrote:
Tue 23 Jul 2019 8:08 AM
Can't use any other style of course, can't cast, work on NPCs, no damages ofc, don't know about the volley, i would be surprised if it did block it tho.

Sounds nice. I had fun as vw in beta, fear thane made me to lazy to manage positional stuns now. Slam is just sooooooo sweet (op.....)
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics