Minstrel Pets breaking Charm....A LOT

Started 30 Mar 2019
by Shadanwolf
in Albion
I have a 15+4 instrument minstrel(char level is 15). I'm stunned at the frequency my blue pets break charm. It is often.The result is I have two opponents in a fight and die too often. Is this a function of low instrument level (19), or is minstrel charm ability gimped ? I'm giving this char to level 20 to see if this improves.RIGHT NOW....its *)$ frustrating. I would appreciate any education on this you can provide.

THANKS.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 6:02 PM by Turtle006
Are you sure your pets are blue? (I only ask because there have been a few people that saw purple as blue due to monitor settings or bad eyesight, colour blindness etc.)
If you do not know, there will be a - after the name if they are blue, and a +++ if they are purple.
I have a 30 something mincer and I have had yellow pets since about your level with no issues. Maybe just a run of bad luck?
Sat 30 Mar 2019 7:07 PM by SaintRon
Shadanwolf wrote:
Sat 30 Mar 2019 4:36 PM
I have a 15+4 instrument minstrel(char level is 15). I'm stunned at the frequency my blue pets break charm. It is often.The result is I have two opponents in a fight and die too often. Is this a function of low instrument level (19), or is minstrel charm ability gimped ? I'm giving this char to level 20 to see if this improves.RIGHT NOW....its *)$ frustrating. I would appreciate any education on this you can provide.

THANKS.

It may get better with total skill. In RvR it doesn't seem like it breaks for them that often.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 9:28 PM by Elva
Perfectly normal. If the charm is resisted, just cancel it and relaunch it as many time as it takes. It's a time/focus consuming mechanic, takes a while to get used to it, gets worse in rvr with all the things you have to do. But you can charm monsters 10+ levels above yours (havn't seen more than +13, with a 90% resist chance), if you are willing to lose a finger for it (or just stayed pressed on your charm key all the time).
Sat 30 Mar 2019 9:46 PM by Saerol
Could be mistaken but I believe your instrument itself (condition, quality and level) also factors in to charm resist/success rates. If you are using an un-repaired or low level harp it may be the reason.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 10:17 PM by Elva
From my own testing on this serv, only combined skill level and charisma have an impact. What you say about harps might be true on live though.
Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:42 AM by Shadanwolf
I just hit level 20 got new upgraded charm ability....charmed yellow pet which promptly turned on me when i told to attack. 2 yellow npc were enough to kill me.....AGAIN.
Sun 31 Mar 2019 3:16 AM by Saerol
Shadanwolf wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2019 1:42 AM
I just hit level 20 got new upgraded charm ability....charmed yellow pet which promptly turned on me when i told to attack. 2 yellow npc were enough to kill me.....AGAIN.

Probably a silly question, but are you charming the pet, then changing to another chant/song (as this would cancel the charm). If you're actually having charm chain-resisted and it's only a yellow pet that doesn't make sense if you have Instruments at level even if you don't have any +skill or capped charisma.
Sun 31 Mar 2019 3:32 AM by Shadanwolf
Yes,I recall...I have charmed a pet then started a heal song or power song. That undoes the charm ! ??
Sun 31 Mar 2019 4:35 AM by Saerol
Shadanwolf wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2019 3:32 AM
Yes,I recall...I have charmed a pet then started a heal song or power song. That undoes the charm ! ??

Yes, your "charm" is a chant which you can only have one running at a time. Minstrels have to twist to keep a pet and maintain their other songs (ablative, run speed, healing or power)
Sun 31 Mar 2019 4:55 AM by Shadanwolf
I noticed the pet charm has a 10 second timer....so i guess i have 10 seconds to twist other songs then re charm.....?
Sun 31 Mar 2019 8:12 AM by Elva
Yes. There can only be 1 chant active (pulsing) at the time. While a chant is active, it applies it's effect on cast, and then it pulses (meaning every X seconds, it will apply again). So if you charm a pet, then cast heal chant, the heal chant applies, and the charm chant's next pulse is canceled. The pet is charmed until the previous charm pulse expires, and then you lose it, so you need to recast charm.
Sun 31 Mar 2019 2:53 PM by Shadanwolf
Thanks. Got it now :-)
Sun 31 Mar 2019 8:10 PM by frosty374
pet does break charm a lot, but thats just life. As you level a bit you should be able to charm oranges by level 30. They will have a 25-35% resist chance (2 consecutive resists means the spell breaks)

As for twisting, I like to hit one song (speed) then count 1..2...3..and recharm, then 1..2..3..respeed etc etc. Im not sure if this is the max window but it allows a rythym so Im down with it.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 12:48 AM by MMOWarrior
Shadanwolf wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2019 3:32 AM

Bingo!

this is the problem... only one pulse at a time... you can twist but for straight up leveling with a pet its best to just hold the pet... later in RvR or with a group you'll twist your chants more often... for now.. just hold your pet and exp...
Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:29 AM by dudis
Get used to re-targetting and charming your pet over again A LOT. This will absolutely be required later on.

Basically you do an action then charm pet, do another action and charm again, etc... It may sound annoying at first but you get used to it quickly.

Tips:
Shift-click your pets HP bar in the pet window to create a quickbar button for easy targetting
Shift-click attack and passive to make quickbar buttons for these
Hold the charm key down to spam charm. You can reliably hold red and low purple pets.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:51 AM by Cami
dudis wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:29 AM
You can reliably hold ... low purple pets.
Don't say that too loud, the whiners read every thread! It might be reliable with RR10, but at low to mid RR, it is impossible. 80% resist rate with the implemented charm cooldown is way too much.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:53 AM by dudis
Cami wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:51 AM
dudis wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:29 AM
You can reliably hold ... low purple pets.
Don't say that too loud, the whiners read every thread! It might be reliably possible to hold low purple pets with RR10, but at low to mid RR, it is impossible. 80% resist rate with the implemented charm cooldown is way too much.

Sorry I meant while leveling where you dont have much else to worry about. Just keep your finger on the button!
Fri 6 Dec 2019 1:21 AM by gotwqqd
frosty374 wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2019 8:10 PM
pet does break charm a lot, but thats just life. As you level a bit you should be able to charm oranges by level 30. They will have a 25-35% resist chance (2 consecutive resists means the spell breaks)

As for twisting, I like to hit one song (speed) then count 1..2...3..and recharm, then 1..2..3..respeed etc etc. Im not sure if this is the max window but it allows a rythym so Im down with it.
Is it 2 resists in a row or three?
Mon 16 Dec 2019 2:23 PM by kensing
Spam that charm button to keep red pets, even below lvl 20. When low hp, get rid of it by putting it on passive and body pull by using "go to". No aggro for you. Grab a new pet - rinse and repeat ad infinitum with zero downtime :-)
Mon 16 Dec 2019 2:25 PM by kensing
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 6 Dec 2019 1:21 AM
frosty374 wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2019 8:10 PM

Is it 2 resists in a row or three?

No amount of consecutive resists will make you lose control over the pet - only the fact that you didn't manage to recharm it within ten seconds.. Did I misunderstand the question?
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics