Melee solo class for new-player?

Started 16 May 2020
by dalinvar
in Albion
Hey guys,

I would like to try a melee class for mostly solo in RvR.
My favourite melee class is the Reaver because I like the necro/fighter lore. But I am lvl 20ish with him and i'm litterally struggling with all the skills I have to use in combat. And flex is really hard to use because lacks of anytimes and i've found crush/slash/thrust to be way more easy for me.. Furthermore I've read many topics on the forum that say if enemy purge your slam you are gone. So I would like to try a better rounded class that doesn't depends just from one skill (Levi).

So i'm reconsidering the idea of try another class.

I have to say I'm not a pro player and this is my first time in RvR and I'm understanding the game step by step.

This being said, this is the question:
which melee class would you suggest for a new player, that is fun, solid, not that hard to master and able to solo in RvR?

Thanks a lot for the time ^^
Sat 16 May 2020 5:46 PM by Quik
Any non-stealthier is not going to do real well solo because of lack of speed and lack of stealth.

If you happened to find a solo fight it won't stay solo very long and it will take you forever to find much.

Well unless you are Mid then you can assume as soon as you leave the Uppland gate by the docks there will be 3-5 stealthers/archer there or a 5-6 man group of hib/alb waiting.
Sat 16 May 2020 5:55 PM by thirian24
Merc has to be THE strongest melee imo. Especially solo.

Roll one, see if you like it.

Figure out which weapon type you like, pick a race from there.
Sat 16 May 2020 6:35 PM by dalinvar
thirian24 wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 5:55 PM

for the mercenary, any pros and cons about going trust/saracen or HO/crush?

and I guess there is a spec for full dps that is 50DW/50Weapon (no shield) and one with shield right? which one is the best for soloing?

TY!!
Sun 17 May 2020 1:12 AM by Parole
dalinvar wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 6:35 PM
thirian24 wrote:

and I guess there is a spec for full dps that is 50DW/50Weapon (no shield) and one with shield right? which one is the best for soloing?

TY!!

HO crush w/ cap swing speed imo - crush is best vs hib sneaks and neutral vs mid sneaks. great styles w/ DW and low endurance for xping to 50. You can also run in an 8man if you make friends.
Sun 17 May 2020 6:31 AM by MacPrior
dalinvar wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 5:23 PM
Hey guys,

My favourite melee class is the Reaver because I like the necro/fighter lore. But I am lvl 20ish with him and i'm litterally struggling with all the skills I have to use in combat. And flex is really hard to use because lacks of anytimes and i've found crush/slash/thrust to be way more easy for me.. Furthermore I've read many topics on the forum that say if enemy purge your slam you are gone. So I would like to try a better rounded class that doesn't depends just from one skill (Levi).

I have to say I'm not a pro player and this is my first time in RvR and I'm understanding the game step by step.

which melee class would you suggest for a new player, that is fun, solid, not that hard to master and able to solo in RvR?

The only Melee good for solo RvR is a Skald in Midgard - speed, good weapon ability, battle crys, instant mezz and snare. This is only a way to be competitive in solo RvR as a non-stealther.

In Alb is a Minstrel very good for your purpose, but you have to learn to twist your chats, second, Minstrel ist not really a melee. A Paladin is quite good, but he has no speed. And you have too learn how to use and always switch you auras.

Lot of players like a friar in solo. But a use to run RvR each day primetime, some times till very deap in the night. And I dont see many non-stealther in RvR, excepted very experienced Players who are able to fight solo against whole group.

Generally, DAoC is a community game, so be ready to play in a group if you would like to have fun. Each class over here was developed to be a part of group.

For solo we have archers and assassins. Just pick scout or infi!

And about Reaver:
1. You could spec another weapon - a sword, rapier or a hammer as well. Its your choice.
2. Reaver has quite no open styles, but he doesnt really need them much - just use after parry, after block, after evade and if you parried or evaded/blocked - use the whole chaint of this style. Leveled such way I was able to kill purple con mobs whithout any down time. Just take a care mobs are to be spirit and your damage art vulnerable.
3. Each class has own bad and positive sides. Just learn them.
Sun 17 May 2020 4:18 PM by Ajvar
I play higlander 50/50 crush merc and i solo most of the time,im specced for solo play.
And as people mentioned you have to be prepared to get rolled by smallman/groups on regular basis ,if you ok with that there is pretty solid amount of action for visible solo's.
Most of the action is around bridges,i tend to avoid task areas, and most of the fights are vs stealthers,the latest archer boost is kinda tricky.

As for merc,yeah its pretty solid class ,when you get some experience on how to counter different classes you can stand your ground ,if you have all your toys up you can win in 1v2 or even 1v3 situations,DT is really powerfull vs melee specially when you get hit by multiple enemies,specially dual-wielders.
Flurry and charge are broken here ,and i guess it will never be fixed.

If you roll pure melee class keep in mind that you gonna get your ass handed back to you by classes with ranged dmg and classes that can kite,they really have the upper hand and there is nothing much that , unless they are really bad at playing their class (and there are bunch of people here that are kinda high rr since its really easy to earn rp here but don't know how to play).

Reaver is worth playing if for nothing else then TWF.

This probably won't be popular opinion but i think Paladin played right (they get extra points here so you can spec 2h/weapon/shield) could be really good solo visible class.

Btw. speed here is not really that much of an issue since there are docks/towers/keeps where you can always grab it.

Hope i helped,good luck!

- Debeli
Sun 17 May 2020 5:03 PM by imweasel
If you like taking a long time to get any where and getting ganked left and right, play a pure melee class solo.

Other than that, skald is going to be the best bet for a melee oriented solo.

Hybrid melee classes can do well in a duel settingFriars, champs, thane's, etc. However speed is a must to really get anywhere solo outside of stealth.

The core of the game was built around group play. It's hard to go against it...
Mon 18 May 2020 12:21 AM by thirian24
dalinvar wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020 6:35 PM
thirian24 wrote:

TY!!

TBH you can do any of them. Saracen thrust is strong. HO crush is strong. 50dw/50weapon rest parry is good, 42shield is good. Literally any of those will be strong.

Personally, I did HO crush. Slow MH and slow OH. 50dw/50crush. I didn't bother with any swing speed RAs and I was able to do just fine 2v1 3v1 and sometime 4v1. The 3v1/4v1 came once I got some pretty decent rank on me. Like mentioned, you wont have speed and youll get run over by smalls and FG a lot. I enjoyed my merc more than any class just about and I think I have almost all of them. The only reason I don't play the merc anymore, is b/c of the toxic alb community.

GL
Mon 18 May 2020 4:10 AM by Ceen
For a new player the only melee solo class that makes sense is a skald.
Ignore all others, turst me. =)
Mon 18 May 2020 11:52 AM by Ajvar
Well if you want no brain,1 button, 0 skill just roll BD.
If you want a really OP melee class then Champion,he basically debuffs you to lvl 40 and you cant counter it in any way.

Btw i forgot to mention, dunno if you aware of this ,the crush line has lvl 15 combo that has 6sec stun qhich is quite enough to get the side combo off ,not that it matters that much tbh ,in 9/10 cases people will purge.
Oh and if you see a keep/tower take nearby leech on it for claws and get the stealth lore potions,they can be very handy.

- Debeli
Mon 18 May 2020 12:19 PM by Razur Ur
[quote=dalinvar post_id=108082 time=1589649798 user_id=21227 2]
Hey guys,

[/quote]

go to lvl 50 with your reaver give him a temp and spec at first MOB9 and IP3 more you dont need for solo XD
Mon 18 May 2020 12:22 PM by Razur Ur
thirian24 wrote:

vs champion is hardly to win as causal player with merc ^_^. best alb solo class is the reaver with master of block 9, ip3 and purge 3 + twf3 is
a reaver not rly beatable.
Tue 19 May 2020 5:42 AM by trawetsnivek
Razur Ur wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020 12:22 PM
thirian24 wrote:

vs champion is hardly to win as causal player with merc ^_^. best alb solo class is the reaver with master of block 9, ip3 and purge 3 + twf3 is

It's situational really. Yes reavers may be best at dueling certain classes such as champions but mercs excel at being able to handle multiple stealthers with Reflex attack. Merc also has DT at his disposal as well. And speccing for Mob9 to get an additional 13% block rate over say MOB5 is not good value for your points. Especially since many of your targets will be Dual weilders and they reduce your block rate by 25%. Better off going MoParry5 MoBlocking 5 imo for best bang for buck.

I have a rr9 Merc that exclusively solos fyi.
Tue 19 May 2020 9:48 AM by inoeth
trawetsnivek wrote:
Tue 19 May 2020 5:42 AM
Razur Ur wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020 12:22 PM
thirian24 wrote:

It's situational really. Yes reavers may be best at dueling certain classes such as champions but mercs excel at being able to handle multiple stealthers with Reflex attack. Merc also has DT at his disposal as well. And speccing for Mob9 to get an additional 13% block rate over say MOB5 is not good value for your points. Especially since many of your targets will be Dual weilders and they reduce your block rate by 25%. Better off going MoParry5 MoBlocking 5 imo for best bang for buck.

I have a rr9 Merc that exclusively solos fyi.

afaik its 33%
Wed 20 May 2020 11:57 AM by imweasel
*delete"
Wed 20 May 2020 1:59 PM by gotwqqd
imweasel wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 11:57 AM
With mounts coming in, pure melee solo is back on the menu. If that is the case I like a champ for that role....

He’s asking in the Albion sub forum
Wed 20 May 2020 2:53 PM by imweasel
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 1:59 PM
imweasel wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 11:57 AM
With mounts coming in, pure melee solo is back on the menu. If that is the case I like a champ for that role....

He’s asking in the Albion sub forum

Crap. Thought I was in hib board. Thanks for correcting me.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics