Pally Tank/Peel Build

Started 8 Dec 2019
by Gainsboreaux
in Albion
I'm just now getting into Phoenix, having played live version for over 10 years starting in around December 2001. Most of my play time was spent between Hib and Mid, and I mostly played Stealthers and casters. This time around I wanted to try something I havent done before, so I've started out with a Paladin. From what I recall from original meta, as well as the research I've done about Phoenix, I understand that pallies are not just overly desirable for 8 mans and that's okay with me. Nonetheless, my goal was to come up with a build that could be at least somewhat viable as an 8 man peel as well as a block tank for PvE farming. The following is what I was considering:

Spec:
49 Chants
44 Thrust
42 Shield
36 Parry

R.A: (5L1)
Det 9
Purge 2
MoBlock 4
Long wind
Tireless

Later on at higher RR, possibly picking up AoM?

The build is designed to be a peel tank - Slam, thrust slow, switch target. Hits 9 second stun followed by 27 second melee slow. One thing I am pretty clueless about is how high Chants should really be. I put it at 49 for the matter resist chant, but I'm not sure how useful this is in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said, I know armsman are more appealing for this role because of Stoicism, better damage, weapon swaps, etc. But I've always liked the idea of Paladins and thought I'd give it a whirl.

I was mainly looking for any input to see if there is anything I'm overlooking or not realizing because of how long I've been away from the game. Any criticism or advice welcomed! Thanks guys.
Wed 25 Dec 2019 12:17 AM by Forlornhope
The matter resist chant is probably the least important resist imo. But honestly I would build a pally pretty similar and there's not much else you can throw it into.
Thu 26 Dec 2019 4:09 PM by shintacki
I have never played a pally so I cant offer much advice but just so you know you can get 12 slash for free. That means you get the side style snare from that line without needing to spend any skill points. Its a shorter duration than the 44 thrust style but it also isnt the second style of a chain so maybe there could be a situation where it might be better to try to use it over the thrust snare.

Also AoM is a great passive to have so definitely pick up a few levels once you get some rank. Still plenty of hib casters out there and decreased CC time is always a plus.
Thu 26 Dec 2019 4:59 PM by gromet12
Why not 2hander?

It seems like such an underutilized line, yet has everything a peeler would want. I would love to have access to alb 2hand on my melee toons (my only albs here are sorc/reaver)

2-part anytime melee speed debuff/snare
    1-part side/rear snare
    Follow-up stuns side/rear
    Good dmg GR's
    Can either go high parry or 35shield for rear/side stun, plus can be s/s for protection during sieges with good enough block for caster against arrows if desired
    Can solo when not needed to peel
Thu 23 Jan 2020 8:58 PM by imweasel
There really is no reason to take chants over 48.

I would recommend taking your one handed weapon skill to 50. Pallys need all the help they can get.

You really don't need all that parry.

48chant/50weapon/42+shield/rest parry...
Mon 27 Jan 2020 2:38 PM by Razur Ur
Have the Pally not to huge base dmg difference with 2h without skillpoints on 1h specline?
Mon 3 Feb 2020 7:51 PM by Ashenspire
There's no reason to put Parry that high.

If you're guarding someone else, Parry doesn't matter.

Paladin shouldn't realistically be the tank in a one tank pve group end game group, so again, parry shouldn't matter.

In RvR group fights, if you're being attacked by something you can party, the fight is over at that point, win or lose, and the parry won't make a difference.

Just go 50 thrust 48 Chants 50 Shield rest into parry if you want to be a peel/block bot.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics