Speccing Bow while leveling...

Started 9 Apr 2019
by DinoTriz
in PvE
I constantly hear people saying that on archer classes you shouldn't go above 35 Bow.

Does the same apply while leveling? As soon as I hit 35 Bow, I can stop? Or is it better to spec high bow for leveling?
Tue 9 Apr 2019 4:31 PM by cere2
Wouldn't go above 29 personally when leveling. Damage increase drop substantially after that and better served killing faster when mob gets to melee.
I would train PF to level, Bow to 29 rest in blades/pierce and cd with leftovers.

Just remember to change final spec before you hit lvl 50 or rr3
Wed 17 Apr 2019 2:00 PM by dudis
Bow benefits your damage until composite level i think?

At least it felt like higher bow spec increased my damage while leveling, although I only ever had a couple of extra points from gear.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 10:17 PM by waffel
Did max bow while leveling my ranger. Rest in PF with a dab of melee to finish mobs that made it to me.

Use an orange/yellow bow with it being the slowest you can find. Even if it means DPS is lower, use the slowest bow. Go max range, switch arrow for damage type that gives bonus and use elevation.

Did all my leveling solo on my ranger and mobs rarely made it into melee range.
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:34 PM by Dominus
waffel wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 10:17 PM
Did max bow while leveling my ranger. Rest in PF with a dab of melee to finish mobs that made it to me.

Use an orange/yellow bow with it being the slowest you can find. Even if it means DPS is lower, use the slowest bow. Go max range, switch arrow for damage type that gives bonus and use elevation.

This is the right answer. I also suggest at level 1, go ahead and spend 30 minutes to get Fletching to 500 and craft yourself the best broadheads so you'll hit harder. If you have the means, a tinder will also dramatically increase both your bow and melee damage.
Thu 18 Apr 2019 4:07 PM by waffel
Dominus wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:34 PM
waffel wrote:

This is the right answer. I also suggest at level 1, go ahead and spend 30 minutes to get Fletching to 500 and craft yourself the best broadheads so you'll hit harder. If you have the means, a tinder will also dramatically increase both your bow and melee damage.

Yep. Tinders are amazing. I did a lot of leveling in the frontiers once I got high enough. Spots off the top of my head:
Mt Collory:
North of West (can't remember) is a camp with multiple hillock changelings (level 38 or so mobs) with the benefit being they're at the bottom of a very steep hill. I got max distance on that hill and chain killed them for 2-3 levels.
Then I killed trees in Mt Collory for a few levels
I did 45-50 super fast by killing fomorians East/South east of Behnn. They are giants so they gave huge exp bonus. There are also elementals very close too. Keep in mind you may get ganked if you hunt during popular times.
Wed 1 May 2019 12:58 PM by Periander
waffel wrote:

Thank you for the information. Did you stop at 29 bow like someone had previously mentioned or did you go higher? If so, how high did you go with Bow while leveling? I just rolled my Ranger last night and leveled my Fletching to 545 so that I can make my own arrows and am looking to start the grind tonight haha

Thanks again!
-Periander
Wed 1 May 2019 1:21 PM by waffel
Periander wrote:
Wed 1 May 2019 12:58 PM
waffel wrote:

Thank you for the information. Did you stop at 29 bow like someone had previously mentioned or did you go higher? If so, how high did you go with Bow while leveling? I just rolled my Ranger last night and leveled my Fletching to 545 so that I can make my own arrows and am looking to start the grind tonight haha

Thanks again!
-Periander

I kept it at my level the entire time I leveled. I also had the benefit of having another char so at 30 I used combined buffs and end regen the entire time.

Around 35 or so I leveled a decent amount in the frontier. I almost always would respec to PF, respec my RAs to Master of the Arcane, and fully buff with max level buffs. Then I would respec back to bow, more melee, and a decent level of PF for when my super buffs wore off if I was still killing stuff.

Other than that it was pretty easy and straightforward.
Wed 1 May 2019 2:16 PM by Periander
waffel wrote:
Wed 1 May 2019 1:21 PM
I kept it at my level the entire time I leveled. I also had the benefit of having another char so at 30 I used combined buffs and end regen the entire time.

Around 35 or so I leveled a decent amount in the frontier. I almost always would respec to PF, respec my RAs to Master of the Arcane, and fully buff with max level buffs. Then I would respec back to bow, more melee, and a decent level of PF for when my super buffs wore off if I was still killing stuff.

Other than that it was pretty easy and straightforward.

Excellent, thank you for the quick response!
-Periander
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics