Why is it only Midgard uses tank classes?

Started 2 Apr 2019
by dekayius
in PvE
So I've noticed something on Midgard that really stands out from Alb or Hib. The use of tanks. Full shield tanks, MOB4-5. Easily holding 6+ Mobs. I mean, they could just as easily use SM Pet to Focus pull like alb, but I have not once been in a group that opts for that. (Which I'm glad for. It's nice to see melees thrive.) I can only assume it has to do with the power of Celerity to make good use of melees?
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:11 AM by jelzinga_EU
dekayius wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 1:29 AM
So I've noticed something on Midgard that really stands out from Alb or Hib. The use of tanks. Full shield tanks, MOB4-5. Easily holding 6+ Mobs. I mean, they could just as easily use SM Pet to Focus pull like alb, but I have not once been in a group that opts for that. (Which I'm glad for. It's nice to see melees thrive.) I can only assume it has to do with the power of Celerity to make good use of melees?

Celerity, yeah it helps melee-groups a big deal. The other thing is that the focus-shield is in the matter-line in Albion which also has AoE-DoT which is nice for farming and leveling. In Hibernia it's in the same line as PBAoE - once again good for leveling. In Midgard it's in Summoning, which has nothing going for it to help leveling except the focus-shield. So Spiritmasters don't spec Summoning unless they dead set on soloing - the moment you consider grouping it's way more efficient to go Supp or Dark
Tue 2 Apr 2019 6:25 AM by majky666
When I came to Hib, I was surprised how few melee (if don't count wardens) are on. So I tried roll a hero, but I deleted him,, because no grp wanted me!!!. If I want play solo, I will not play MMORPG and choose some singleplayer videogame.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:40 AM by Durgrim
Midgard either builds a AOE group with SM, RM or Melee groups for efficiency.
Either group setup uses tanks.

This may be because our powerlevel groups are based on bombs which need to be protected. If Alb or Hib wanna go powerlevel, they use Ani or Necro. Different mindset.
Thu 4 Apr 2019 4:30 PM by Rook
Unless you're killing really high level mobs to your group you really don't need melee's on mid either. Fastest XP I've ever seen in this game was PacHealer/Sham/SuppSMx6 at shredders in DF. The ironic part about melee's being more used during leveling on mid is that mid has the highest risk vs reward for leveling with no tank and just AoE stunning. All that's required is a critical mass of SMs and even then partial stuns is good enough.

After having said that, no one wants to just level healers, shamans, and SMs.
Fri 5 Apr 2019 11:55 AM by majky666
On ALb tanks are leveling and playing, they are common in epic dungeons/DR/Legion events, also in RvR. But I am curious, how Hibs doing that with few tanks on?
Fri 5 Apr 2019 12:18 PM by Padatoo
majky666 wrote:
Fri 5 Apr 2019 11:55 AM
how Hibs doing that with few tanks on?

Like this
Fri 5 Apr 2019 10:24 PM by Luluko
alb / hib grps have tanks and there are also some soloing sometimes even tho very few, mids have lots of skalds and they are great in smallman and solo because of speed and so would be minstrel but to solo on a minstrel without having access to 2 chants and not running a pet is pretty shitty if you wanna fight anything which is 50 and not a caster.

You can play a tank in hib/alb aswell but you should also have a bard or sorc first make some friends show them that you are somewhat decent and they will also take your melees if you are good at them and you also solo on them sometimes so you can get det and arent just dead weight and in root with a the zerging going on.
Sun 7 Apr 2019 9:11 PM by Expfighter
Simple Answer, Mid is the Easy-Mode realm!

Mids can get all the group dynamics skills they need in 5 toons, Hibs get them all in 6 toons, Albs it takes 7 toons to get all the skills needed.

Mids can throw an extra 3 tanks or hybrids in there to fill out the group.

THAT is your answer!
Sun 7 Apr 2019 11:02 PM by Luluko
Expfighter wrote:
Sun 7 Apr 2019 9:11 PM

Mids can get all the group dynamics skills they need in 5 toons, Hibs get them all in 6 toons, Albs it takes 7 toons to get all the skills needed.

THAT is your answer!
I wouldnt call it easymode if one person has to do the job what 2-3 people do in other realms. But yes they are more flexible with grp setups.
Mon 8 Apr 2019 7:32 AM by Sepplord
Expfighter wrote:

THAT is your answer!

which 5classes is it in midgard (and 6/7 in the other realms)...
i haven't heard of a 5man xp-grp core in midgard yet and the most efficient levelgroups don't even have that many different classes

Midgard has better levelling because it's pve is worse than the other realms, not the otherw way around. Hibernia reduces themselves to Animist-levelling which hurts anyone who isn't part of that fotm setup. In Albion it seems to be cabba/necro petpulling reducing the need for tanks. (FS-pulling nerf might change this in alb)
The gap between midgard levelling groups arent as big as in alb/hib...that makes supporters more likely to wait for a better groupsetup and also encourages bombgrps to take more tanks
Tue 9 Apr 2019 5:37 AM by jelzinga_EU
Expfighter wrote:

THAT is your answer!

Except it is not really true. There are a lot of viable group-setups possible in all 3 realms to XP on.

Very broadly speaking:

Groups which requires power-regen and CC, heals and buffs and a tank ("generic":
Albion: Paladin, Sorc, Cleric
Mid: Warrior, Pac-healer, Shaman

Groups which requires power-regen, guard, buffs and heals ("PBAoE":
Albion: Paladin, Ice-wiz, Sorc/Mincer, Cleric
Mid: Warrior, SM, Pac-Healer, Shaman

Midgard's advantage is really Celerity, making a "pure" melee-group much more viable. Albion has better options for focus-levelling (which is possible on Mid, but contrary to matter-cabalist / necro the Summoning SM is really not very good without a group - so most SM go for PBAoE)
Wed 10 Apr 2019 8:53 PM by teiloh
jelzinga_EU wrote:
Tue 9 Apr 2019 5:37 AM
Midgard's advantage is really Celerity, making a "pure" melee-group much more viable. Albion has better options for focus-levelling (which is possible on Mid, but contrary to matter-cabalist / necro the Summoning SM is really not very good without a group - so most SM go for PBAoE)

Not just Celerity, but AOE Stun, intercepting pets, class density, and tanks that don't need to double spec.
Thu 11 Apr 2019 4:23 AM by jelzinga_EU
teiloh wrote:
Wed 10 Apr 2019 8:53 PM
jelzinga_EU wrote:
Tue 9 Apr 2019 5:37 AM

Not just Celerity, but AOE Stun, intercepting pets, class density, and tanks that don't need to double spec.

Well obviously AoE stun isn't really the reason why they do use tanks, neither is an intercepting pet. In fact, both are reasons why you wouldn't use tanks in a Mid PBAoE group.

I'm not sure what class density means, and tanks that don't need to double-spec doesn't mean a whole lot to me when it comes down to making melee-groups for PvE, especially not when respecs are free during levelling. Double-speccing is only relevant for Armsman and Paladins and the latter got so much love with a damage-boost and more spec-points I honestly do not see how double-speccing is any issue. In fact, the paladin is the best PvE-tank by quite a large margin with the tools they got.
Thu 11 Apr 2019 6:14 AM by teiloh
jelzinga_EU wrote:
Thu 11 Apr 2019 4:23 AM

[/quote]

Well obviously AoE stun isn't really the reason why they do use tanks, neither is an intercepting pet. In fact, both are reasons why you wouldn't use tanks in a Mid PBAoE group.

I'm not sure what class density means, and tanks that don't need to double-spec doesn't mean a whole lot to me when it comes down to making melee-groups for PvE, especially not when respecs are free during levelling. Double-speccing is only relevant for Armsman and Paladins and the latter got so much love with a damage-boost and more spec-points I honestly do not see how double-speccing is any issue. In fact, the paladin is the best PvE-tank by quite a large margin with the tools they got.
[/quote]

Just addressing the whole "Mid is bad at leveling" meme. All you need is a few SMs, a shield tank or two and a Healer and you can shred your way up to 50 as a group. Alb is not significantly better at Focus pulling either unless you're solo DoT kiting.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 10:15 AM by Giorgione88
I think the only way to fix that problem is to add shield spec a pve style that allow melee classes to taunt the mobs aoe around them . In this way also in daoc there will be melee who can be called Tank. That change would not sort any effect in pvp and will allow melee classes to have at least 1 slot reserved in any kind of grp.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 10:32 AM by brennyz
Durgrim wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:40 AM
Midgard either builds a AOE group with SM, RM or Melee groups for efficiency.
Either group setup uses tanks.

This may be because our powerlevel groups are based on bombs which need to be protected. If Alb or Hib wanna go powerlevel, they use Ani or Necro. Different mindset.

Most groups i been in on Alb actually prefer bombs. Most necro's are only used as batteries.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics