Returning Player - some questions

Started 17 Dec 2019
by darkstar00
in PvE
Hello all -

Played this game quite a bit in my younger years. Looking to get back into it and see what happens!

First off, I've always played Albion (some mid) - but im thinking maybe its time to switch it up to mid or hib. Which is most needed?

Second - what are fun PVE duos that can also hold their own in RVR ? I see that most people recommend a skald/bard/minstrel + whoever. They don't have to be the best but looking for good combos that might be flying under the radar. I personally do want to be one of the instrument classes since i've never been one before.

And lastly - will probably be looking for a guild on whichever realm I choose.

Thanks!
Tue 17 Dec 2019 3:53 PM by Sepplord
Imo the strongest DUOs (albeit not the easiest to play duos) are from Hib with bard as the main-CCer and speedclass in one, with ghettoheals to top it off.
Bards are by far the weakest solo, compared to skald/minstrel, but if you don't mind that then bard will give you lots of different options to duo. Bard/BM or Bard/Menta are some combinations that i have seen, but basically any DPS char can work well with bard.

The good thing is, hibernia also seems to be the realm that needs help the most
Tue 17 Dec 2019 3:59 PM by Lipsi
darkstar00 wrote:
Tue 17 Dec 2019 3:34 PM
I personally do want to be one of the instrument classes since i've never been one before.
Skald is of the combattant archetype, Minstrel of the stealther archetype, and Bard of the naturalist (healer) archetype. Keeping that in mind can greatly help you orientate your decision for which class interests you.

darkstar00 wrote:
First off, I've always played Albion (some mid) - but im thinking maybe its time to switch it up to mid or hib. Which is most needed?
If you play one of the instrument classes, choosing your archetype will dictate in which realm you fall under. Also, you have the possibility on Phoenix to switch realms after you have been logged out for 4 hours.

darkstar00 wrote:
I see that most people recommend a skald/bard/minstrel + whoever. They don't have to be the best but looking for good combos that might be flying under the radar
As a skald you can go with pretty much any class, as a bard, you will have to rely on your partner for damage dealing.
Tue 17 Dec 2019 4:58 PM by borodino1812
You may be a better player than me, but think through how good you are. In my opinion the Bard is significantly harder to play well than the Skald.

I've always liked the Skald. It is a capable solo class, very good in small man, and essential in 8v8. At the same time, it is a fairly forgiving class. For a duo you can team up with most classes in Midgard.
Tue 17 Dec 2019 5:30 PM by darkstar00
Thanks for the quick replies all!

The skald seems the most appealing then. It will be nice to actually have some melee / dmg viability from a playing perspective.

Can you guys go into a little detail with a few classes that will go well with the skald and what that playstyle would look like?

Skald w caster
Skald w fighter
Skald w hybrid

Thanks so much.
Tue 17 Dec 2019 6:35 PM by Azrael
Imo it is the same with a bard. All works out with a skald. You can even duo with a healer where you will be the dd and got a backup with better cc and good heals. Imo the only combo which does not work out THAT well (it is still good) is skald with a savage because savage will kill himself over time xD

edit: If you group up with a dd you will probably more in a rupter/peeling role (peel if its necessery to regen for your groupmember), or assist with your swing and double dds when its needed to get a kill. With a caster (sm,runemaster) it is even more defense playstyle because you win your fights with kiting
edit2: A strong combo is skald with bd because most enemies will see bd as a greater threat and will engange him while he can heal(lifetap) himself. So you are free to do your job
Tue 17 Dec 2019 8:33 PM by Sepplord
Just keep in mind if you play NA-times that midgard is heavily overpopulated in NA

I also disagree that skald works very well with a healer. Yes, in straight 2vs2 you can outlast but the Overall dps-output will be horrible. No fast killing and running away or similar.
Wed 18 Dec 2019 2:24 PM by Lipsi
darkstar00 wrote:
Tue 17 Dec 2019 5:30 PM
1 Skald w caster
2 Skald w fighter
3 Skald w hybrid

1 Skald + sm (+sm pet) , good damage, body dmg debuff, good survivability for both of you (heal transfers, more cc/mezz/cure mezz/ life tap, pet intercept, pet heal) and an additional pet.
skald + bd (+bd pet) both offer good survivability for both of you (life tap, absorb) and the additional pets. also great RAs (baod, twf)
skald + RM would probably be the worse, with RM left to die alone too often, less defense, less interesting RA and no pet
2- Skald + thane (more potential for range attacks and rupts, shield/guard)
- skald + warrior (shield/guard)
- skald + zerker or savage for melee assists (heal song and potions to recover savage health between fights, melodies and IP can be trained if you plan to be running as a duo a lot)
3 What do you call hybrid ? there isn't such archetype. There are seers (healing classes) - Skald + shaman could work too, if spec buff+cave, you get more cc and damage, and best buffs + resists for a duo
- Skald + healer would leave you with far less dps than all other options, and a much less potent duo than its hib "equivalent" champion + bard.
- There are also stealthers (hunter / SB), if you go this playstyle, i think minstrel would better suit

Also you need to consider, what you teammate wants to play (you choose for yourself skald because it is a warrior, so probably your duo will also mind choosing a class that he enjoys playing)

Edit : all what i wrote was with rvr in mind, but i realize you are asking for PVE duos, that could eventually go out in rvr. Best PVE instrument class is definitely the bard, because of the 3 that gives speed, he can also buff and heal and reduce downtimes with endo/heal/power regen, and escape any awkward situation to come rez if needed (mezz, confuse, run away etc). You will always find group as a bard, and can obviously even be offered PL by level 50 animists while playing power song and afk.
If you stick to skald, skald + cave shaman is a classic PVE farming duo.
Wed 18 Dec 2019 5:01 PM by darkstar00
Thank you all for the replies!

Will be going with a skald and my friend will either go shammy or BD to start.

We will probably level up different combos but this one will be fine for now to get back into the game.

If there are any good active guilds on mid would definitely like to join!

Thanks.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics