Grey players rupting with 100% certainty

Started 10 Feb 2019
by Frigzy
in RvR
This shouldn't be the case.

It seems there is no level check for interrupts?
Sun 10 Feb 2019 1:03 PM by faliv
working as intended
Sun 10 Feb 2019 2:10 PM by Kampfar
Just kill all grey, problem solved
Sun 10 Feb 2019 2:19 PM by Anaethema
I used to leave greys alone but too many added onto fights so now I kill every single one I see.
Sun 10 Feb 2019 5:21 PM by Quik
Anaethema wrote:
Sun 10 Feb 2019 2:19 PM
I used to leave greys alone but too many added onto fights so now I kill every single one I see.

This...I don't actively go grey hunting, but if I am roaming I don't hesitate to kill grey's if I find them now.
Tue 12 Feb 2019 2:25 PM by kedelin
i run buy greys most of the time looking to for yellow con people to engage... i did have a whole group try to kill me on skald so i jut kited and waited for them to focus pull a bunch of mobs then i run in mezz healer and insta kill pet.. Sit back and enjoy the show of fg getting owned by mobs..
Wed 13 Feb 2019 11:40 AM by Frigzy
kedelin wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019 2:25 PM
i run buy greys most of the time looking to for yellow con people to engage... i did have a whole group try to kill me on skald so i jut kited and waited for them to focus pull a bunch of mobs then i run in mezz healer and insta kill pet.. Sit back and enjoy the show of fg getting owned by mobs..

Kinda hard to get rupted on a skald tho I bet
Wed 13 Feb 2019 11:42 AM by Ceen
kedelin wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019 2:25 PM
Thanks for sharing this peak of daoc gameplay.
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:04 PM by Takii
Frigzy wrote:
Sun 10 Feb 2019 12:55 PM
This shouldn't be the case.

It seems there is no level check for interrupts?

Based on what evidence? From what I remember there is no concept of not being interrupted by lower con players, only lower con mobs.
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:28 PM by Frigzy
Takii wrote:
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:04 PM
Based on what evidence? From what I remember there is no concept of not being interrupted by lower con players, only lower con mobs.

Mythic Grabbag:
Please explain how interrupts work in your game. In another game I used to play, if a magic user started casting a spell, he could finish it so long as he wasn�t hit during the cast time. In DAOC it seems more random. A: It�s not random at all, but it is a very different system than you may be familiar with. It�s a lot more fair to large weapon users, as their potential to interrupt a caster is exactly the same as a small fast weapon user. Hold on to your backpacks, this is going to be fun. First, we need to understand how melee attacks work in DAOC. Let�s say you�re swinging a weapon with a five second delay between swings. You press attack. It goes SWING (tick tick tick tick tick) SWING (etc). Obviously, this means a two second delay weapon goes SWING (tick tick) SWING (etc). Now, according to the game, you�re attacking for that whole swing/tick cycle. The damage you do is registered at the same time as the swing, but a full cycle consists of the swing AND the ticks. If you attack a caster, you have a chance of interrupting his regular (non-quickcast) spells during the whole cycle. The chance to interrupt is purely level based � if the caster is higher level than you, your chance to interrupt is lower. A quickcast spell does not have any chance of being interrupted � doesn�t check for that at all. However, a quickcast spell does not wipe the interrupt check of a cycle. For example, let�s say I am swinging an enormous hammer at Mahrin Skel. There�s a ten second delay. On the third second, he quickcasts something at me. It hits me. Let�s say I�m stunned. But when he casts a regular spell at me during the same ten second cycle that began when I first swung my hammer, I may still interrupt him even though I am stunned by the quickcast, because my cycle is still running. Still with me? Let�s see what happens when multiple people are attacking our caster friend. (It�s hard to explain in text, please forgive the sophomoric illustration at the bottom of all this.) I have a weapon with a five second delay. Chris has a weapon with a three second delay. And Jason also has a five second delay weapon. Mahrin will yet again serve as our caster, and he is casting a spell with a three second timer. First, I swing. One tick later, Chris swings. One tick later than that, Jason swings. One tick after Jason, Mahrin starts to cast. Who will have a chance to interrupt him? It�s all in the timing. In this BEAUTIFUL diagram, s = swing, c = cast, and t = tick. Mahrin:__________cT__T__T Sanya:_sT__T__T__T__T Chris:_____sT__T__T Jason:________sT__T__T__T__T At about the halfway point during Mahrin�s cast, the interrupt check happens. So, go to halfway (the middle T in Mahrin�s row). Chris�s cycle is finished, and will not interrupt Mahrin. My cycle is ending at about the same time Mahrin�s interrupt check begins on that spell, so I�ve got a 50/50 chance of interrupting him, depending on the exact timing. Jason is in the middle of his cycle, and therefore definitely has a chance of interrupting Mahrin.Whether or not Jason DOES interrupt him depends on level and luck. The chance of interruption isn�t very high. The above applies whether the SWING part did damage or not. As you can see, this system is more fair to all weapon users, and is more realistic (a big honking axe is actually just as distracting as a dagger when it�s swung at your head). But, in the interests of fun, we�ve kept the actual chance low, and the higher level the caster, the less likely the caster will lose concentration. Whew. I need a frosty beverage after all that. I wish you all a safe and happy weekend, and we�ll see you Monday. Or maybe on the frontiers before then =)

Highlighted the relevant part.
Wed 13 Feb 2019 2:24 PM by Sepplord
Frigzy wrote:
Wed 13 Feb 2019 1:28 PM

Didn'T see a hioghlighted part, but i read the whole thing anyways....

What confuses me that they mention multiple times the interuppt chance being low, which i have never seen in DAoC....farting in the general direction of a caster interupts him. And that has been like that 15years ago too.
Thu 14 Feb 2019 2:42 AM by Takii
Yeah I've never experienced being able to cast with anyone attacking me ever, regardless of con, and I played almost only casters. So I'm a little confused as well.
Thu 14 Feb 2019 2:51 AM by gruenesschaf
It's like the 2 second minimum cast time that never existed but multiple official sources claimed exists.
Thu 14 Feb 2019 3:22 AM by Joc
Easily testable on live and here.

Level 50 char
Level 5 mob

On live currently the grey will never interrupt. It will always miss its attack or be evaded, blocked, parried.

Level 50 char
Level 35 mob

On live currently it will usually not interrupt, but sometimes it will. Still very likely to get parried, blocked, evaded, miss.

Level 50 char
Level 50 mob

On live currently the interrupt rate is very high (guessing near 100%). Still a good chance of being blocked, evaded, parried, miss.

So the wrinkle here is the delay of the interrupt, and the likelyhood of the interrupt. I don't know how its coded here on phoenix (maybe a dev could give some insight) but I know that on many occasions I'm being interrupted by a very very low level mob or player when I'm level 50. It seems something isn't quite right here to me.

I think we can all see that a level 50 mob/player interrupts another level 50 player pretty well if the interrupting means has landed in the first half of the casting action. The question I have is that if the interrupting means is a lower level than the target, what % chance is the interrupting means being lowered? Is it being lowered at all? Should it be lowered?

Its hard to really answer these questions without patch notes and dev insight both. I would love to know the answers.
Thu 14 Feb 2019 7:37 AM by Ceen
Joc wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019 3:22 AM
Easily testable on live and here.

Level 50 char
Level 5 mob

On live currently the grey will never interrupt. It will always miss its attack or be evaded, blocked, parried.

Level 50 char
Level 35 mob

On live currently it will usually not interrupt, but sometimes it will. Still very likely to get parried, blocked, evaded, miss.

Level 50 char
Level 50 mob

On live currently the interrupt rate is very high (guessing near 100%). Still a good chance of being blocked, evaded, parried, miss.

So the wrinkle here is the delay of the interrupt, and the likelyhood of the interrupt. I don't know how its coded here on phoenix (maybe a dev could give some insight) but I know that on many occasions I'm being interrupted by a very very low level mob or player when I'm level 50. It seems something isn't quite right here to me.

I think we can all see that a level 50 mob/player interrupts another level 50 player pretty well if the interrupting means has landed in the first half of the casting action. The question I have is that if the interrupting means is a lower level than the target, what % chance is the interrupting means being lowered? Is it being lowered at all? Should it be lowered?

Its hard to really answer these questions without patch notes and dev insight both. I would love to know the answers.
Charm the grey mob and it will rupt 100 % of the time just like on Phoenix. As long as mobs count as PvE they dont rupt bit when they count as RvR they do. Hence grey players rupt and its working as intended.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics