New tasks

Started 19 Mar 2020
by joshisanonymous
in RvR
I have mixed feelings about the new tasks. On the one hand, the whole AFKing or just showing up for a second to get credit for the old keep tasks wasn't great, but the problem with the new ones is that they're only fun during low population hours unless you have good numbers. You can't get anywhere close to EV or the mazes without at least a FG during regular hours. On top of that, though, this seem antithetical to the point of RvR, which is to control territory (at least the overall point anyway). For the keeps, even though you had a lot of AFKers and suiciders, at least those tasks played into the larger scheme of RvR. Furthermore, for those of us who solo or smallman, during the EV tasks, there are very few options for where to go outside of EV. With keeps, you could choose transportation choke points, mostly docks and boat drop-offs, but also between keeps in some cases. Currently, if everyone is going to EV, there's not really a place to go: there's only one way in for each realm and that way in is often patrolled by FGs so that anything smaller gets mowed down just as if they tried to get all the way into EV where you have zerging, and since boats don't help you get there faster, you can't camp docks or anything to pick up stragglers in lower traffic areas. What you're left with is risking constantly getting run over by larger numbers or searching out XPers to kill.

So, personally, I like that the tasks give people a reason to go to EV and all, but there's not much for solos/smallmen during those tasks and they don't really fit into the overall goals of RvR. I have no suggestions to improve them, but those have been my feelings so far.

(Of course, it's also possible that the negatives I've mentioned will disappear if zergs and such start ignoring the tasks as the novelty wears off.)
Fri 20 Mar 2020 6:56 PM by Lefreak
The maze one are boring… middle is ok. Mabe just stay whit middle and keeps task ?

Tytyty
RR6 Hunter
Sat 21 Mar 2020 2:12 AM by Durzo
Unless you like zergs or just camping a flag the tasks are worse.
Sat 21 Mar 2020 6:47 AM by defiasbandit
Realm Task: Invasion of a Realm

How it Works:

There will only be one realm task.
    The task will be in only one Frontier at a time. It will rotate between each Frontier.
    Holding keeps and towers in the task frontier will award contribution points over time to a realm.
    Killing enemy players in the task frontier will award contribution points to a realm.
    The realm that earns the most contribution points will earn an RP Bonus at the end.
    Holding a keep generates 10 contribution poinst per minute. Towers generate 3 contribution points per minute.
    Guards will be much weaker and spawn less often.
    Capturing keeps and towers does not award contribution points, rather the points are earned over time.
    Have an underpopulation contribution point bonus.

Why it Works:

Making keeps and towers more easily capturable will allow for smaller groups to retake them.
    You don't earn contribution points by capturing keeps and towers, so zerg/blitzkreig tactics won't be the only strategy.
    Since you have to hold keeps and towers in order to earn contribution points, there will be reason to defend them.
    The RP Bonus will be earned by the winning realm at the end of the task by earning the most contribution points.
    There will be smaller RP Bonuses distributed to the losing realms.
    There will be 7 Keeps and 20 Towers to fight over, so many groups of all sizes will roam in all directions across the task frontier.

Invasion of a Realm is similar to the Flag Domination task in some respects, as well as the original task by the same name.
This new task being suggested will allow for many playstyles to flourish, as well as make RvR more accessible for newer players.
The Task is simple to understand and execute, while offering enough possibilities for all types of players.
Mon 23 Mar 2020 2:46 PM by Holborn
Honestly these new tasks are awful.

Personally I would have preferred area attack and defence, so attack/defend Emain Macha or attack defend Pennine Mountains ect. Any action in those area's whether it be guards at a keep or fights with other players would give credit.

There has always been an assumption that player WANT to RVR, that they WANT to engage with other players and is not always the case. Condensing players into a small area will have a negative effect towards participation. eventually players will have enough at being ganked at the credit areas and leave.

Please do not confuse the recent increase in population of the server as approval of the server and the recent changes, I would say its more to do with global self isolation.
Mon 23 Mar 2020 3:32 PM by Azrael
I really appreciate the devs work on this and try to improve the tasks. The intention is great but the result is really bad imho.
The few times I tried to participate on EV or the maze I got rolled by full groups or 16 slots, so there is no point for solos/duos/smallman to get into these area. ( eu time)

Perhaps you should have different tasks depending on groupsize. solo - odin , duo - jamt, small - uppland, fg - yggdra or something like that
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics