Need Paladin spec and RvR tips

Started 26 Feb 2020
by Chadperry1992
in RvR
Just hit 50 on my paladin and looking for a good way to spec and tips to up my game. Thanks!
Wed 26 Feb 2020 7:54 AM by Gohanssj
Tbh paladins are still annoyingly weak for RvR, which is a shame cos I really like mine. I went 44 2handed 46chants and rest party I think. Dmg is to low to be pure dps, arms is a better peeler and has better RAs, friar is a better util and has better RAs and resists and heals. Pally doesn't really have anything unique, endurance potions make them obsolete, good for pve tho, can go high shield high parry and high wep so decent tank
Wed 26 Feb 2020 12:11 PM by Ele
I got to disagree with Gohan on this.
Paly is a strong addition to any tank grp and offers quite some utility due to the fact that you can fire up all your chants at once because they cost no endurance on this server. The spec AF chant pushs even your casters close to 600AF and the resist chants help a lot if someone died and there was no time to rebuff resists or there is no friar present to buff heat resist.
The specc Gohan mentioned is somewhat correct. Keep in mind that you need to get 52 combined slash/thrust/crush to get rid of variance when you use your 2H-Weapon. In addition, I'd expect any Paly I invite in to my group to have 42 shield specc to slam. That being said, Hybrid speccs are viable, offering peels and mediocre damage with your 2H. You won't kill a tank alone just by peeling, but you can easily set up a kill together with a caster. Remember to always use your guard ability, you have roughly 45% Chance to block a 1H or 2H attack, reduced to about 33% vs. Dual Wielders, negating a good amount of damage on the guarded target.

Speccs I'd recommend:
39 Slash
42 Shield
44 Two Handed
48 Chants
rest parry
- back&side peel on 2H, side peel on 1H
- slash is good vs. mid light tanks, giving you a slight dmg boost
- all relevant chants, missing last matter resist is not that important

44 Thust
42 Shield
39 Two Handed
46 Chants
rest parry

- same peels on 2H, 2 part anytime chain with 27 sec snare 1H -> nasty tool, can be used easily while guarding
- Thrust is neutral vs. all hibs, but you lose dmg vs. mid ligt tanks
- Missing last spec AF and single heat/cold resist
- slightly less dmg than 44 2H, but neglectable imo

I'd progress my RAs like this: LW, Tireless, Purge 2, Det 9, afterwards up purge or get anger of the gods if you tend to run in tank grps. You can invest in a few levels of MoBlock, MoPain etc in between, as you can respecc freely in the first 24 hours of playtime on lvl 50.
Words of advice regarding RvR: You are expected to peel, so stay back to not get caught by instant cc's. Try to break speed on incoming tanks on inc with your taunt shout and a DD charge so your backline has more time to form up. Even if you are the endu bot, bring endu heal pots because your 2H styles soak up your endurance really quickly, especially when sprinting and slaming targets. If you push with your tanks, try to hang back a little so you are not caught in CC, at least until you have Det 9. You can use your taunt to rupt targets or prevent them from getting speed while out of combat.
Wed 26 Feb 2020 12:39 PM by inoeth
after det9 i would go aom because that also works like det here, closing the gap betwene arms and pally a bit
Wed 26 Feb 2020 1:14 PM by Freedomcall
inoeth wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 12:39 PM
after det9 i would go aom because that also works like det here, closing the gap betwene arms and pally a bit

Aom doesn't affect CC reduction on Phoenix
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:51 PM by shintacki
Freedomcall wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 1:14 PM
inoeth wrote:

Yes it does. For casted CC spells anyways
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:56 PM by Ashenspire
50 2h
46 chants
42 shield
34 slash
4 Parry

There is no damage variance on Phoenix, so raising your base line skill simply increases your damage.

However, the higher Weaponskill you gain from increasing 2h from 44 to 50 and dropping slash from 39 to 34 will make up for it when it comes to bypassing block/parry/evade.

You don't need to go 44 thrust for peels. 2h has a side and rear snare that don't require a 2 step combo. Carry 2 2handers- Apocalypse for burst, and a crafted/RoG 4.5 great sword for peels.

Longwind, Tireless, Purge 2, Determination 9 are required. You will have a relatively bad time before 4L4. After that, you can pretty much get whatever you want.

You don't need AoM and twisting chants properly will give you 52% body resist with 62.5% uptime which is basically a built in Stoicism that you can pop on incoming.
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:58 PM by Freedomcall
shintacki wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:51 PM
Freedomcall wrote:
inoeth wrote:

Stop spreading misinformation plz

https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8730&p=63546&hilit=aom#p63546
Wed 26 Feb 2020 3:05 PM by Ashenspire
shintacki wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:51 PM
Freedomcall wrote:
inoeth wrote:

Avoidance of Magic in Old Frontiers was a straight up resist increase. In New Frontiers, it was changed to "reduces magical damage by X%." Phoenix has been using NF RAs since it launched.
Wed 26 Feb 2020 3:07 PM by shintacki
Well all right then. Ive seen a lot of people say it does reduce CC around the forums and discord, guess theyve been wrong.
Wed 26 Feb 2020 6:19 PM by Gohanssj
Not saying they're useless, but I have both Pally and Friar and there is nothing my pally really offers that the friar doesn't (we run with reavers and minstrel so stuns aren't an issue) friar has same snare then backs it up with good heals and resits, cure disease etc. etc. so has a lot more utility, if you want a pure peeler then Arms is obviously superior cos anytime pole snare that also has a good growth rate.

Nothing against pallies, I wish I could play mine a bit more, but they don't offer a lot that can't be bettered by another class.
Wed 26 Feb 2020 7:02 PM by Ashenspire
It's the opposite.

Friar brings nothing over Paladin in a melee slot. If you're bringing anything over a Paladin, you can argue Armsman. Paladin still brings more utility even being a slightly worse block bot and not having an anytime snare (even though back/rear snares aren't the hardest thing to land).

Friar is a poor man's cleric replacement. You're better off with a 2nd cleric over a friar. Friar can arguably work, but you're still at a disadvantage over a double cleric setup.

If you're running a melee train you want to be up in the fray keeping their endurance up. Capped swing speed styles + sprinting will kill their endurance real quick with just potion end.
Fri 17 Apr 2020 5:58 PM by Delegator
Ashenspire wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:56 PM
50 2h
46 chants
42 shield
34 slash
4 Parry...
/quote]

That would indeed be a great spec if it was possible, but there aren't enough points available. You could go

50 2h
44 chant
42 shield
34 slash
6 parry

or

50 2h
36 chant
42 shield
31 slash
7 parry

To me, 42 shield is mandatory for slam, and 50 2-handed is mandatory for cutting through defenses and high damage. So it's a tradeoff between base weapon skill and chants level.
Fri 17 Apr 2020 7:13 PM by gotwqqd
Delegator wrote:
Fri 17 Apr 2020 5:58 PM
Ashenspire wrote:
50 2h
46 chants
42 shield
34 slash
4 Parry...
/quote]

That would indeed be a great spec if it was possible, but there aren't enough points available. You could go

50 2h
44 chant
42 shield
34 slash
6 parry

or

50 2h
36 chant
42 shield
31 slash
7 parry

To me, 42 shield is mandatory for slam, and 50 2-handed is mandatory for cutting through defenses and high damage. So it's a tradeoff between base weapon skill and chants level.
I think you meant 46 chant on your second spec
Sun 19 Apr 2020 4:50 PM by Tyrlaan
Delegator wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
50 2h
46 chants
42 shield
34 slash
4 Parry...
/quote]

50 2h
44 chant
42 shield
34 slash
6 parry

or

50 2h
36 chant
42 shield
31 slash
7 parry

You might be using a wrong char builder. Paladins get more spec points on Phoenix. Use https://playphoenix.online/charplan/

You can actually go 50 2h, 48 Chants, 42 Shield, 31 Slash, 5 Parry.
Mon 20 Apr 2020 10:26 AM by Khogor
The answer yoi will get mostly when asking for Palli RvR is the "Missing Stiocism"

Can anyone of the active Palli Player give a hint on how much longer CC were Talking about ?
Cant see the % in the charplan ...if both have Det 9 ? Palli on his side hat the resi chants active.

How about the Grp Inst ? Worth the Points ?
Mon 20 Apr 2020 10:45 AM by Ele
Det 9 is 55% CC Reduction. For a single mezz on a paly with det 9 this means that it will last 15 seconds, while on another tank with det9+stoicism it will be roughly 9 seconds. The exact duration is difficult to see here because the tooltip will only show "fading".
Mon 20 Apr 2020 8:37 PM by Ashenspire
Delegator wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
50 2h
46 chants
42 shield
34 slash
4 Parry...

50 2h
44 chant
42 shield
34 slash
6 parry

or

50 2h
36 chant
42 shield
31 slash
7 parry

It's literally the spec I am right now, and perfectly doable on Phoenix with 1 skill point left over:

Tue 21 Apr 2020 1:48 AM by Hodge
Friar and Pally are on the same damage table as VW (and this is higher than all other classes except warrior I think), so the only differences is in available styles, weapon type, self buffs, and the damage add for offensive output. Here I feel the friar does better due to self Dex/qui and base dex buff for pure output. However, pally offers more flexibility.

For defense you got pally with shield and parry, no evade. So you would need to keep shield equiped
most of the time for defense to compare with a friar. Friar has evade 5 and parry, but cannot block arrows or bolts. After friar self absorb buff both are comparable for armor absorb % (especially with Mastery of Arcane).

Resists Pally is more flexible with 20 resist for any magic type whereas friar has 3 magics at 24. This depends how they are spec'd.

Special note is reflex attack on friar which is an awesome offensive RA with a two hander and Static temptest which is good for rvr raids.

Also, friar can heal cast and pally has to be in combat to heal per tick.
Tue 21 Apr 2020 9:16 PM by Delegator
Ashenspire wrote:
Mon 20 Apr 2020 8:37 PM
Delegator wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
50 2h
46 chants
42 shield
34 slash
4 Parry...

50 2h
44 chant
42 shield
34 slash
6 parry

or

50 2h
36 chant
42 shield
31 slash
7 parry

It's literally the spec I am right now, and perfectly doable on Phoenix with 1 skill point left over:

My bad . I was doing thrust which has no autotrain. I sit corrected.
Tue 21 Apr 2020 9:31 PM by Kurbsen
Delegator wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020 9:16 PM
Ashenspire wrote:
Mon 20 Apr 2020 8:37 PM
Delegator wrote:

50 2h
44 chant
42 shield
34 slash
6 parry

or

50 2h
36 chant
42 shield
31 slash
7 parry

My bad . I was doing thrust which has no autotrain. I sit corrected.

by not going 48 chants you dont get your last spec AF.. which is pretty much main reason pally gets any group at all..

50 2h 48 chants 42 shield 31 slash rest parry
Wed 22 Apr 2020 1:12 AM by Ashenspire
Hodge wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020 1:48 AM
Friar and Pally are on the same damage table as VW (and this is higher than all other classes except warrior I think)

Warriors are table 23.

Armsman, Merc, Zerker, Hero, Blademaster are 22.

Paladin, Friar and VW are 21.

Savage is 20.

Champ is 19. Thane is 19 with Hammer, 18 with Sword or Axe.

Sources:
https://camelotherald.fandom.com/wiki/Damage_Table
http://playphoenix.wiki/albion-class-changes/
Wed 22 Apr 2020 1:15 AM by Ashenspire
Kurbsen wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020 9:31 PM
by not going 48 chants you dont get your last spec AF.. which is pretty much main reason pally gets any group at all..

The main reason paladin gets a group is end chant for melee groups and resist chants in double cleric groups. I've never in all my years of playing a Paladin been sought after for my AF chant.
Wed 22 Apr 2020 1:39 AM by Kurbsen
Ashenspire wrote:
Wed 22 Apr 2020 1:15 AM
Kurbsen wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020 9:31 PM

The main reason paladin gets a group is end chant for melee groups and resist chants in double cleric groups. I've never in all my years of playing a Paladin been sought after for my AF chant.

lol the fact that the AF chant gives casters in your grp over 600+ AF is worth it alone.. +127 AF is pretty strong.. end is whatever on this server due to pots/legion charge
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:17 PM by Kemoauc
it's even more than 127 af because like any spec buff it is multiplied by 1.25 and further amplified by Mastery of Arcane.

In my opinion, it is really hard to find anything about a paladin in an fg that isn't done better by another class. The lack of stoicism and subpar damage (even though massively buffed) are the obvious problems here. But I also believe that Twohanded is just not a good weapon line for a group because the styles are too expensive and 12s/14s positional snares are not good enough.

Nevertheless, playing as a peeler is probably what a paladin is best used as. The chants are subtle buffs but taken together over a fight are fairly significant, unfortunately they are made worse by the access to endupots and free af buffs. However, the taunt is a nice range interupt, the thrust line has actually somewhat decent styles with the long snare in the 2part chain and the huge attackspeed debuff. Therefore, I'd suggest at least 44 Thrust, 42 shield and 48 chants.

The only place where a paladin outshines the other classes is 1vs1 and there I was always happy with 50 2hand, 42 shield, 48 chants and 31 slash.
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:24 PM by Kurbsen
Kemoauc wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:17 PM
it's even more than 127 af because like any spec buff it is multiplied by 1.25 and further amplified by Mastery of Arcane.

In my opinion, it is really hard to find anything about a paladin in an fg that isn't done better by another class. The lack of stoicism and subpar damage (even though massively buffed) are the obvious problems here. But I also believe that Twohanded is just not a good weapon line for a group because the styles are too expensive and 12s/14s positional snares are not good enough.

Nevertheless, playing as a peeler is probably what a paladin is best used as. The chants are subtle buffs but taken together over a fight are fairly significant, unfortunately they are made worse by the access to endupots and free af buffs. However, the taunt is a nice range interupt, the thrust line has actually somewhat decent styles with the long snare in the 2part chain and the huge attackspeed debuff. Therefore, I'd suggest at least 44 Thrust, 42 shield and 48 chants.

The only place where a paladin outshines the other classes is 1vs1 and there I was always happy with 50 2hand, 42 shield, 48 chants and 31 slash.

You are the king of 1v1 for pallys, kemy. However, I strongly disagree with the 44 thrust spec. Sure the 27 second snare is nice but if there are 3 tanks on one person and you gotta land a 2 part chain on each of these.. A) its gonna take to long. B) youll prob end up missing some styles.

Atleast with 2h spec you can use the 4.1 speed 2h and backsnare when see fit. Slash is by far superior peel line for groupspec pally. Which goes back to 50 2h 48 chants 42 shield 31 slash, the best pally spec all around, imo.

oh and btw, good to see you again
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:34 PM by Kemoauc
Kurbsen wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:24 PM
Kemoauc wrote:

You are the king of 1v1 for pallys, kemy. However, I strongly disagree with the 44 thrust spec. Sure the 27 second snare is nice but if there are 3 tanks on one person and you gotta land a 2 part chain on each of these.. A) its gonna take to long. B) youll prob end up missing some styles.

Atleast with 2h spec you can use the 4.1 speed 2h and backsnare when see fit. Slash is by far superior peel line for groupspec pally. Which goes back to 50 2h 48 chants 42 shield 31 slash, the best pally spec all around, imo.

Thrust snare is a chain but if you park someone in a 27s snare they will be useless for a long time and it gives you actually enough time to control a few people with it. It might be annoying to land it sometimes but it could be worse when you hit at capspeed and endu usage is ok. You can also use it after you slam someone to take him out of the fight a few more seconds - being a chain doesn't matter then.

I never felt I had enough endurance to spam side/back snares with the fast 2handed weapon while also sprinting and slamming things. It also requires you to switch away from your shield in situations where you usually want to have guard up. The attackspeed debuff is a nice dps debuff and really messes with people because they are not used to strafe with a lower attackspeed.
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:41 PM by Kurbsen
Kemoauc wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:34 PM
Kurbsen wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:24 PM
Kemoauc wrote:

Thrust is a chain but if you park someone in a 27s snare they will be useless for a long time and it gives you actually enough time to control a few people with it. It might be annoying to land it sometimes but it could be worse when you hit at capspeed and endu usage is ok. You can also use it after you slam someone to take him out of the fight a few more seconds - being a chain doesn't matter then.

I never felt I had enough endurance to spam side/back snares with the fast 2handed weapon while also sprinting and slamming things. It also requires you to switch away from your shield in situations where you usually want to have guard up. The attackspeed debuff is a nice dps debuff and really messes with people because they are not used to strafe with a lower attackspeed.

the mincer can be (atleast ours is) 44 thrust spec and dishes those out. Ive never run out of end peeling honestly, numb, then side snare is your best combo for peeling as a pally.. only use slam on a target youre gonna try and kill imo
Thu 23 Apr 2020 8:54 PM by Kemoauc
I don't think the minstrel should be peeling but should be in the casters/healers face and annoy them. But I guess that's not the point of this thread.

I suggest to try both specs and see what works better. It's definitely more satisfying to hit someone with a 2handed weapon than running after light and full tanks with a toothpick
Sun 3 May 2020 3:02 PM by Pedòr
And about the race, can i go with all of them with no worries or what?

Thanks!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics