Thidranki RvR Improvements

Started 3 Jul 2019
by stevie006
in RvR
This is a fun server and it's great to see devs continue to put in work on adding changes that improve game play. For someone who plays casually a few times a week, Thid is a great way to get into some quick pvp battles. While realms were never balanced there is definitely some things that could be done to improve the current state:

1. Remove potion usage
2. Add a 'hard line of sight' into keeps

Potions are equivalent to old days of buff botting. Buff botting negatively impacted the game then and is having a similar effect now with pots in lowbie bgs.

Line of sight can help balance game play with Animists who are currently extremely effective in low level keep defense. Adding line of sight restrictions for shrooms can align the class with how every other class works when it comes to casting.

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys put into this game!
Wed 3 Jul 2019 3:09 PM by Eidorf
I don't agree with point 1, point 2 is not a Thidranki issue...

1, Remove Potion - Please do not do this, If anything the level 30 combined buff potion should be lowered to level 20 to make buffing less tedious.

2, Animists LOS - This is not a Thidranki issue, or an animist issue, it's just a problem with all pets.

The real problems with Thidranki are...

1, Nearsight has almost no counter with the cure being quite high in the respective healing lines, suggest adding a cure potion.

2, The damn snakes (Forest Adders) please, please just remove them.

3, Give NF Thidranki please, at times the current version is just too small.
Wed 3 Jul 2019 5:52 PM by Roto23
stevie006 wrote:
Wed 3 Jul 2019 7:57 AM
This is a fun server and it's great to see devs continue to put in work on adding changes that improve game play. For someone who plays casually a few times a week, Thid is a great way to get into some quick pvp battles. While realms were never balanced there is definitely some things that could be done to improve the current state:

1. Remove potion usage
2. Add a 'hard line of sight' into keeps

Potions are equivalent to old days of buff botting. Buff botting negatively impacted the game then and is having a similar effect now with pots in lowbie bgs.

Line of sight can help balance game play with Animists who are currently extremely effective in low level keep defense. Adding line of sight restrictions for shrooms can align the class with how every other class works when it comes to casting.

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys put into this game!

why are you against pots? What class do you play?
Wed 3 Jul 2019 9:39 PM by Keelia
Would love to see combined buff pots drop to level 20. Would also love to see /level 20 like on live. You do that this will have a huge pop.
Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:18 AM by knarfknarf
Combined pots could be lowered to 20, would be nice. /level 20 though, wouldn’t. It’s already super fast to get to 20, and you would pretty much kill all zones that people use for them.
Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:59 AM by stevie006
Players should be rewarded for investing time to make their characters have competitive advantage but it's good to reflect on what's working well and what can be changed.

The advantage that pots provide does not scale appropriately for lowbie bg.

Pots are singled out is because of how much they skew the balance. When using pots without any crafted gear I could pretty easily take on un-buffed players in 1v1 or 1v2. If you scale that to a twink group where players are using crafted gear along with pots the battles become very skewed.

Alternatives:
If removal is too drastic then devs could add a vendor that sells cost appropriate pots that are "less effective" then player crafted ones (to mitigate impact on crafters). This benefits players that have time and money to get better buffs while mitigating the stat gap by allowing more casual players have quick and affordable access to similar items - something along the lines of blue vs yellow gear.
Thu 4 Jul 2019 2:03 AM by Warjon
Thid was once the playground of the casuals.

Then the pots and gear rich moved in.

Now BG loving casuals are , elsewhere.
Thu 4 Jul 2019 3:35 AM by _Dax_
What they should do is:

1.) A 'Lesser Combined Force' for lvl 20. Not only will it help in Thid, but also the players that lvl up and don't get grps or just want to solo, get to endgame faster. It will also make players do more feathers stuff. (And the 'Lesser Combined Force' should be the same amount of tears to make as a big one.)

2.) Add a title so when you reach a amount of DB/Kills in the bg you earn [exemple: 'Champion Of Thidranki'] (It Should be applyed on the rest of the bgs also.) AND!! It should be calkylated so that you have a big chance to not get it before you cap out. In other words, you can not just go in to the bg 1 to 3 days and think that you are gonna get a title handed to you.

3.) Remove the doors and the lord on CK and add 4 flag capture points. (See the map)
--

--
For each flag you have, you get 10% extra rps. unless you have all 4, then you get 50% extra rps. I think that this will not only make players move around more it will also get the talking going. Everyone realm wants to dominate the bg. So to do so they have to split and leave players at flags to guard them etc and the more flags you have the more rps is it to gain next time you kill. but it will also be damn hard to maintain.

Because as it is now, when one realm take CK, the bg just dies instant... And does who took CK just huggs it like the kindergarten teddy bear you had back in the days.. that smelled like... ah nvm.

And to have the 4th flag at the courtyard in a open CK just smells insanly epic fun fights!! A hunter and a scout fight each other on the walls meanwile a skald just entred the courtyard and he gets bolted by a Eldrich who have sneaked up to the lord room!

Maybe just me but I see some damn funny shiit happen if that was the case.

Extra:If you all take a look at the map again, there is 3 small realm colored dots at the bridges.. They are hastner for each realm. Maybe somthing to think about or maybe not... Or just have one hastner for all realms at the open FFA CK

Anyway. I think that this would be cool, if not maybe for a weekend event.

Thx for me and sorry if anyone gets irretated on my writing

Xoxo! //Dax
Fri 5 Jul 2019 7:16 PM by gotwqqd
Remove /rp off

It’s hard enough trying to level up RR in there
Then you have the perma toons that had it easy from before the rvr task nerf with max this RR
Fri 5 Jul 2019 10:23 PM by Eidorf
/rp off was removed a while ago.
Sat 6 Jul 2019 12:09 AM by gotwqqd
Eidorf wrote:
Fri 5 Jul 2019 10:23 PM

I had thought that
Though there was discussion in game that you could permastay in Thidranki
Sat 6 Jul 2019 5:54 AM by Gweinyth
gotwqqd wrote:
Sat 6 Jul 2019 12:09 AM
Eidorf wrote:
Fri 5 Jul 2019 10:23 PM

I had thought that
Though there was discussion in game that you could permastay in Thidranki

You can only be in Thid until you hit rr3 which at the rate you get rp's in there is basically permastay.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 5:02 AM by Leandrys
Limit Thid to 1L4 again I'd even say. 2l9 toons lvl 24 are the definition of LAME itself, there was a reason why Mythic didn't allow such small level chars to have active RAs like Purge or high ranked passive like deter or critics, these all pumped out twinks are just a shame.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 7:39 AM by Eidorf
Leandrys wrote:
Sun 7 Jul 2019 5:02 AM
Limit Thid to 1L4 again I'd even say. 2l9 toons lvl 24 are the definition of LAME itself, there was a reason why Mythic didn't allow such small level chars to have active RAs like Purge or high ranked passive like deter or critics, these all pumped out twinks are just a shame.

If you return to 1L4 Thidranki will die once again, surely you can see this?

Also, it's only RR3, it's hardly game breaking that a class has a couple of active RA's, all the OP ones like TWF are level gated anyway.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 12:07 PM by Leandrys
Yes, cause groups of 2L5+ twinks full of Rogs lvl 30 with lvl 25 life tap procs pop'ing purge/sos to 1L2 avalonian wizzies is the definition of balanced and appreciated experience.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 12:48 PM by CronU
Leandrys wrote:
Sun 7 Jul 2019 12:07 PM
Yes, cause groups of 2L5+ twinks full of Rogs lvl 30 with lvl 25 life tap procs pop'ing purge/sos to 1L2 avalonian wizzies is the definition of balanced and appreciated experience.

And still, you reach 1L4 within 30 Minutes in Thidranki.
As previous poster said, Thidranki action will die instantly.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 2:16 PM by Gweinyth
Leandrys wrote:

You mean like my rr2 ani coming up against a group of rr7 BD's? Is that the kind of balanced, appreciated experience you are talking about? At least if people can get a few rp's in thid they have a better chance when they hit 50.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 2:57 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Gweinyth wrote:
Sun 7 Jul 2019 2:16 PM
At least if people can get a few rp's in thid they have a better chance when they hit 50.

You can be RR3 when you hit 50 without ever stopping in Thidranki or doing any actual RvR; I've done it on four characters just by dropping some snow on the turn-in guy every half an hour while solo XPing.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 3:53 PM by flashed101
I agree with removing buff potions from Thidranki. That would make for a massive improvement in gameplay quality for everyone in the BG when it comes to balancing. People who play thid on geared and always buffed no longer having pots will obviously be a little miffed about the change, but so f*cking what,, theyre the ones who are going to see less skewed gameplay, and more contentious fights overall. That strife on their behalf will be a gameplay improvement if you ask me. People who choose not to buff pot WHATEVER THE REASON dont deserve to be 'punished' for that choice. There's a very clear reason that buffs from players had effect range implemented, and buff pots are a work around that has no place in BG's like Thidranki.
Sun 7 Jul 2019 5:09 PM by gotwqqd
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Sun 7 Jul 2019 2:57 PM
Gweinyth wrote:
Sun 7 Jul 2019 2:16 PM
At least if people can get a few rp's in thid they have a better chance when they hit 50.

You can be RR3 when you hit 50 without ever stopping in Thidranki or doing any actual RvR; I've done it on four characters just by dropping some snow on the turn-in guy every half an hour while solo XPing.
After 35 you can xp/task in frontiers and you will get participation rp
Sun 7 Jul 2019 6:48 PM by Kaidence
Combined Buff Potions.....

Move the Albs keep farther away.

Pet classes are all broken....Bonedancer standing at keep has no idea his pet chasing me across 4 zones.

REMOVE FOREST ADDERS ---
Mon 8 Jul 2019 12:43 PM by xeet16
100% disagree about removing pots. I like my pots. Besides, they are super cheap. I don't see the harm, personally.

100% agree to remove forest adders. And who ever placed those mobs is straight up evil!!!!

A map would be awesome.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 2:13 PM by Eidorf
Leandrys wrote:

Nothing you have said there has is even relevant. The avalonian wizard you talk about in this scenario has access to every advantage the twink group has, same gear, procs, pots everything.

All I read from your statement is that you expect to rock up to an RvR zone in junk gear, with little time invested and do well which is laughable.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 2:37 PM by Sepplord
Eidorf wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 2:13 PM
Leandrys wrote:

Nothing you have said there has is even relevant. The avalonian wizard you talk about in this scenario has access to every advantage the twink group has, same gear, procs, pots everything.

All I read from your statement is that you expect to rock up to an RvR zone in junk gear, with little time invested and do well which is laughable.

it really isn't because that's what the BGs are for (for many people) and in my perception too.

The battlegrounds were not created for people that don't want to level and stay in one for as long as possible. They are for people to jump in from levelling and get a breath of RvR before going back to advancing their character up the level spiral. A chance at something different, a glimpse of what's to come...(yeah i know that "to come" is also getting stomped by better prepared people so it is just more authentic if that starts at lvl20 instead of 50 )

The problem is, that the latter isn't enough to have a steady population in the BGs, so the earlier have to be attracted too and get catered to with commands like XP and really really high RP-caps.

That you seem to believe that having high-lvl equip/a BG temp is a reasonable requirement for low-lvl battlegrounds is just as laughable to me, as Leandrys expectation is to you.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 4:17 PM by Eidorf
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 2:37 PM
Eidorf wrote:
Leandrys wrote:

it really isn't because that's what the BGs are for (for many people) and in my perception too.

The battlegrounds were not created for people that don't want to level and stay in one for as long as possible. They are for people to jump in from levelling and get a breath of RvR before going back to advancing their character up the level spiral. A chance at something different, a glimpse of what's to come...(yeah i know that "to come" is also getting stomped by better prepared people so it is just more authentic if that starts at lvl20 instead of 50 )

The problem is, that the latter isn't enough to have a steady population in the BGs, so the earlier have to be attracted too and get catered to with commands like XP and really really high RP-caps.

That you seem to believe that having high-lvl equip/a BG temp is a reasonable requirement for low-lvl battlegrounds is just as laughable to me, as Leandrys expectation is to you.

Regardless of how anyone perceives BG's, the fact remains that the only thing is skewing balance for you, Leandry and others with your mindset that is lack of effort which is entirely under your control. A small time and gold investment will allow you to compete, this has nothing to do with RR.

I have no issue fighting a level 24 RR2.5 player on my fresh level 24 RR1 BG character. I know that the outcome of the fight will be down to numbers, group comp, skill, my class or RNG and the RR advantage pays only a very small part (obviously this RR advantage grows exponentially in 50 RvR).

In fact I would be more than happy if they left the cap at 1L4 and added another incentive, maybe gold and feathers.

My personal view is that if you go out in RvR at any level with the intention to fight other players you should be prepared, that said, I appreciate that not everyone takes this approach and sometimes it frustrates me.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 5:00 PM by gotwqqd
Eidorf wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 4:17 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Eidorf wrote:

Regardless of how anyone perceives BG's, the fact remains that the only thing is skewing balance for you, Leandry and others with your mindset that is lack of effort which is entirely under your control. A small time and gold investment will allow you to compete, this has nothing to do with RR.

I have no issue fighting a level 24 RR2.5 player on my fresh level 24 RR1 BG character. I know that the outcome of the fight will be down to numbers, group comp, skill, my class or RNG and the RR advantage pays only a very small part (obviously this RR advantage grows exponentially in 50 RvR).

In fact I would be more than happy if they left the cap at 1L4 and added another incentive, maybe gold and feathers.

My personal view is that if you go out in RvR at any level with the intention to fight other players you should be prepared, that said, I appreciate that not everyone takes this approach and sometimes it frustrates me.

Disparity of rr is enough to deal with
The fully twinkled gear is tough to stomach for the people with no cash source or ability to get better than measly drops while leveling
Mon 8 Jul 2019 5:12 PM by Gweinyth
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 5:00 PM
Eidorf wrote:
Sepplord wrote:

The fully twinkled gear is tough to stomach for the people with no cash source or ability to get better than measly drops while leveling

Everyone starts out with the same ability to get gold and drops. Which classes you play and how you choose to spend your time is the difference.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:04 PM by gotwqqd
Gweinyth wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 5:12 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Eidorf wrote:

Everyone starts out with the same ability to get gold and drops. Which classes you play and how you choose to spend your time is the difference.
I get it
You don’t want to lose your dominance
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:06 PM by Gweinyth
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:04 PM
Gweinyth wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

I get it

You have no idea what you are talking about. I don't play in thid.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:10 PM by gotwqqd
Gweinyth wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:06 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Gweinyth wrote:
I get it

They all start out with same ability
But those playing for 6 months with 5 templates toons in Thid have a massive advatahe over someone having /played for 5 hours
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:14 PM by Gweinyth
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:10 PM
Gweinyth wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:
I get it

But those playing for 6 months with 5 templates toons in Thid have a massive advatahe over someone having /played for 5 hours

This is not a Thid issue. The same can be said for any BG or rvr.
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:17 PM by gotwqqd
Gweinyth wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:14 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:10 PM
Gweinyth wrote:

This is not a Thid issue. The same can be said for any BG or rvr.

But it can be fixed in Thid
Can’t really do it in endgame Without eliminating progression
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:19 PM by Leandrys
Eidorf wrote:

Scuze mi wat ? No, seriously, what the hell is that trash reply ? Little time invested in what ? In a lvl 20/24 RvR zone ? Thid is the new place to be for skillzors now ?
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:21 PM by gotwqqd
Leandrys wrote:
Mon 8 Jul 2019 6:19 PM
Eidorf wrote:

Scuze mi wat ? No, seriously, what the hell is that trash reply ? Little time invested in what ? In a lvl 20/24 RvR zone ? Thid is the new place to be for skillzors now ?
Yes because they feel good about having a low death risk rate
Mon 8 Jul 2019 9:50 PM by Sepplord
i guess it'S the new tryhard zone for the people who can't do it at 50 because there they get outprepared by the real no-lifers
just kidding a bit here btw. some really only no life, but some of the succesful groups really are very good on top of playing a lot (and against popular opinion i realize that simply playing a lot doesn't make you a good player. The good groups didn't get there just by being ingame all day, unless you play to improve you just train bad habits)

do we really need it in thid?
If i would go into thid (which i have not much interest in...) i would temp my char and use all pots i can get...but would that really improve my thidranki experience? Does it make sense to encourage this in areas of the game where new players are supposed to get their first impressions?

in my opinion not, though i can understand that invested people don't want to have changes happening
Tue 9 Jul 2019 1:33 PM by Eidorf
gotwqqd wrote:
Gweinyth wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:

I get it

Actually I would prefer is everyone in Thidranki was 24, buffed and templated. It makes for better fights on all sides. I want a good fight not a walk-over. Similarly, I want my group mates to put up a good fight, not be walked over by the enemy.

Your claim that people want dominance is simply ignorance.
Tue 9 Jul 2019 2:23 PM by Leandrys
Yes, that's why these randoms players trying to grab 1L3/1L4 have to deal with 2L5+ strels/skalds/BDs/bards/ light tanks. Because they're facing enemies roaming in Thid for the beauty of DAOC, the true one, where most of time your opponent isn't buffed/stuffed.

Easy fix, kicked at 1L5 as it should be.
Tue 9 Jul 2019 3:25 PM by Sepplord
Leandrys wrote:
Tue 9 Jul 2019 2:23 PM
Easy fix, kicked at 1L5 as it should be.

the problem with that though is, that there won't be a population that makes it playable again

people that want to go there either find noone, or get lucky and hit a populated time, hit 1L5 after 30minutes and are now kicked out again (aka removed from the BG population)

It's not as easy as that
Tue 9 Jul 2019 5:22 PM by Leandrys
Just give back /rp off and it's ok, Thidranki wasn't even meant to allow characters to stay in there forever but this used to work allright for people who really do not want to play at 50.

But honnestly, on Phoenix, it makes no sense to do so, i've only played once in there on Albion , people were just repeating the same behaviour we see all day long at 50, PM'ing all day long wizards and theurg to have their shiny add damage/damage shield/haste on their beloved twink. It's just lame.
Tue 16 Jul 2019 2:45 PM by _Dax_
For all that complain.. Just do as everyone else that ar garbage in there! Roll a Crush/23 Shield Reaver, 7min DT Crush Merc or a Bonedancer.
Not only will you not stop complain about pots and jada jada,,, You dont need a template and you will start to think that you are the top dog in there also! xD

Its a win-win!
You have fun in there and the rest of us laugh at you! Problem solevd.#smh
Mon 22 Jul 2019 5:30 PM by Kaidence
50's got boring for me personally...

Just like Daoc gets boring from time to time..
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics