Reality check

Started 22 May 2019
by Sektor
in Tavern
I see a lot of people on here talking about rules and things they perceived are owed to them, these are my 2 cents on the matter.

Some treat this server like they have some sort of monetary investment in it, or a monthly sub. News flash, you don't. The Devs are the only one who has invested anything and that's time, which is very valuable. IT seems people feel that changes or rules are inappropriate. Guess what? This isn't America, you have no freedom of speech. Whether its class changes, item changes, gameplay changes, or stream rules, it's what they say goes, period.

Instead of being grateful for the hard work and availability of the server, you bitch and moan about every little freaking thing. There is no contract between player and developer here, and the TOS is what they make it. IF you don't like the rules or don't like the changes? Tough. They seem to be willing to hear your bitching and if it doesn't go your way? TS. You call them dictators? I call you babies.

Perhaps learn to be a grown up and appreciate the potential fun you could be having instead of focusing on tiny negatives. Maybe be a little grateful instead of trying to sink the ship and take as many people as you can with you. Nobody is perfect and your entitled attitudes make me sad for the future of the world.
Wed 22 May 2019 11:57 PM by Clockwork
I am not amused by players trying to agitate the situation of Nate and the Staff.

Please refrain from such nonsense.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:03 AM by shintacki
And here I thought I had posted a clever joke.

Responding directly to OP: yeah it’s a private server and the devs can literally do whatever they want. But what comes with that is how the devs actions are perceived by the players. And people are allowed to feel however they want, being self righteous and calling them entitled won’t make it any better. This whole thing has been one big overreaction on all accounts but it has been amusing to me.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:15 AM by Sektor
shintacki wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 12:03 AM

Responding directly to OP: yeah it’s a private server and the devs can literally do whatever they want. But what comes with that is how the devs actions are perceived by the players. And people are allowed to feel however they want, being self righteous and calling them entitled won’t make it any better. This whole thing has been one big overreaction on all accounts but it has been amusing to me.

Self righteous? Did I strike a nerve? Maybe they should give out free juice boxes every time they make a change.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:17 AM by Clockwork
Text isn't always easy to interpret intent, I apologize if it was intended as a joke. Several threads have been... less friendly to the player and as such already cleaned up a bit. Leads to a mindset of looking for it like a hawk on a mouse.

As a note if players devolve into attacking each other in here I will lock this thread. Please be civil to each other, save the violence for when you're in game trying to kill each other in rvr
Thu 23 May 2019 12:18 AM by shintacki
Sektor wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 12:15 AM
shintacki wrote:

Self righteous? Did I strike a nerve? Maybe they should give out free juice boxes every time they make a change.

Just saying you sound a little preachy so I offered my two cents. No need to get hostile. But you make those juice boxes mountain cooler Capri suns and you got yourself a deal.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:52 AM by Sektor
shintacki wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 12:18 AM
Sektor wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 12:15 AM
shintacki wrote:

Just saying you sound a little preachy so I offered my two cents. No need to get hostile. But you make those juice boxes mountain cooler Capri suns and you got yourself a deal.

I mean I don’t want to be everyone’s dad but sometimes people need to understand how the world works. I got you in the Capri sun
Thu 23 May 2019 1:00 AM by kratoxin
All i read was QQ.
Thu 23 May 2019 1:02 AM by Cadebrennus
Clockwork wrote:
Wed 22 May 2019 11:57 PM
I am not amused by players trying to agitate the situation of Nate and the Staff.

Please refrain from such nonsense.

Are you amused by Nate spamming the forum so much that when I hit the "unread posts" button that his single fight spam posts take up half the search results? Because I'm not amused.
Thu 23 May 2019 2:56 AM by dbeattie71
Sektor wrote:
Wed 22 May 2019 10:59 PM
I see a lot of people on here talking about rules and things they perceived are owed to them, these are my 2 cents on the matter.

Some treat this server like they have some sort of monetary investment in it, or a monthly sub. News flash, you don't. The Devs are the only one who has invested anything and that's time, which is very valuable. IT seems people feel that changes or rules are inappropriate. Guess what? This isn't America, you have no freedom of speech. Whether its class changes, item changes, gameplay changes, or stream rules, it's what they say goes, period.

Instead of being grateful for the hard work and availability of the server, you bitch and moan about every little freaking thing. There is no contract between player and developer here, and the TOS is what they make it. IF you don't like the rules or don't like the changes? Tough. They seem to be willing to hear your bitching and if it doesn't go your way? TS. You call them dictators? I call you babies.

Perhaps learn to be a grown up and appreciate the potential fun you could be having instead of focusing on tiny negatives. Maybe be a little grateful instead of trying to sink the ship and take as many people as you can with you. Nobody is perfect and your entitled attitudes make me sad for the future of the world.

Where is the +100 button?
Thu 23 May 2019 6:15 AM by Sepplord
Sektor wrote:

I agree with your general point. Fully.

But there is one misconception that i keep reading which is the money argument. I personally don't give a s*** about a monthly fee. My behaviour and feedback on this server would be exactly the same if i paid 10€ or 50€ month. It's a bit ironic that you even acknowledge that "time" is also something you can invest into a server, but somehow the players shouldn't feel attached/invested because they don't spend some really small amount of money like on other games.

Behaving like some behave here, would still not be okay, even if this was a paid game. Paying a fee doesn't give anyone the right to treat others bad. Or demand fixes (instead of asking for them). etc...
And just because it's free doesn't mean that players should accept treatment they wouldn't accept in a paid game.
Thu 23 May 2019 8:01 AM by Sektor
Sepplord wrote: [quote=Sektor post_id=66132 time=<a href="tel:1558565960">1558565960</a> user_id=199690]

I agree with your general point. Fully.

But there is one misconception that i keep reading which is the money argument. I personally don't give a s*** about a monthly fee. My behaviour and feedback on this server would be exactly the same if i paid 10€ or 50€ month. It's a bit ironic that you even acknowledge that "time" is also something you can invest into a server, but somehow the players shouldn't feel attached/invested because they don't spend some really small amount of money like on other games.

Behaving like some behave here, would still not be okay, even if this was a paid game. Paying a fee doesn't give anyone the right to treat others bad. Or demand fixes (instead of asking for them). etc...
And just because it's free doesn't mean that players should accept treatment they wouldn't accept in a paid game.
[/quote]

My main point about the money is that no one is forcing anybody to play. Everyone chose to play here. The only ones actually devoting time are the devs. You think debugging and listening to people cry all day is fun? People should cut them some slack.

In life their are consequences for decisions. Tell your dad off? Belt time. Get drunk and yell at the big dude? Get put on the floor. Tell the cops to f themselves? Eat a tazer. Like someone said in another post. If you don’t start off friendly don’t expect to be treated friendly.
Thu 23 May 2019 8:05 AM by Sepplord
Sektor wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 8:01 AM
My main point about the money is that no one is forcing anybody to play. Everyone chose to play here. The only ones actually devoting time are the devs. You think debugging and listening to people cry all day is fun? People should cut them some slack.

In life their are consequences for decisions. Tell your dad off? Belt time. Get drunk and yell at the big dude? Get put on the floor. Tell the cops to f themselves? Eat a tazer. Like someone said in another post. If you don’t start off friendly don’t expect to be treated friendly.

Yeah i got that, and i fully agree with those points. Never disputed them.

I just don't like the argument "you are not paying" because it shouldn't impact how we treat each other at all.
Additionally it's not really something that increases my investment into a game or not.
Thu 23 May 2019 8:21 AM by Druth
It is very complicated...:

Volunteer work vs. paid work

Can volunteers do crap work and just cover under "I do it for free"?
No... it's an old trope. It really depends on what was promised.
I can't go down and help addicts inject heroin saying I'm a nurse, and then say "sorry for the mistakes, remember I do it for free".
If I were to translate this to Freeshards, it would be Uthgard promising SI for 10 years. Stop saying it if you can't deliver, you are actually making people really sad when they help you test and don't see any results.

I am not aware of any major promises Phoenix made, that they did not deliver upon. So...

Freeshard (partly cannibalizing on Live) vs. Live (that we don't recognize anymore)

No matter how you spin it, Phoenix is a pirate server that causes Live to loose subscriptions.
I had personally left Live many years ago, and really only a classic/ToA like server would bring me back, but I see from reports that Live lost almost all when this server launched.

What does this has to do with the thread?
That the people who run it, while doing it out of kindness, are hurting people with the server.
So if you want to appreciate their free work, please remember the dark side of it.
And if you don't appreciate their work, please remember why you are not playing Live, and then maybe you'll see things a little different.

I personally appreciate it, but would also jump ship to a Live paid subscription that looked remotely like DaoC 2002-2004.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:44 PM by Luluko
Sektor wrote:

thats a very one dimensional view on things just because we dont pay for it we should shut up about things we disagree with? You know thats the same thing some people on postcount said when all the players which werent subbed anymore critized them for their patches/changes. (and look how that turned out the numbers were already very low even before the phoenix launch) A Forum is there to argue over things and if people are invested enough it can become heated. Sure we arent entitled to anything but dont make a surprised pikachu face if people stop logging in anymore. If the devs dont want any feedback they could just close most of the board and see how that goes. But if we are free to give feedback some people will do either deal with the crying or gtfo.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:54 PM by Luluko
Sektor wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 8:01 AM

We are forced to play here if we wanna play daoc at all since its a multiplayer game and population is needed for rvr and there is no other option to play daoc, live wasnt already an option 3+ years ago.

And the people which cant behave get modded and thats it, as long as we have general free speech here it should be fine and topics arent just getting closed because the devs are tired of hearing about stuff like bp speed.
Thu 23 May 2019 1:31 PM by BTFD
"Guess what? This isn't America, you have no freedom of speech."

Guess what kiddo if code wasnt ruled as free speech protected by the first amendment in the USA thanks to the EFF , DAOC wouldnt exist. It ran on open source linux machines that also wouldnt exist. The copied source code wouldnt exist. E-commerce wouldnt exist. Encryption. P2P etc...

Entitlement lol? Devs in Germany are entitled to copy source code as an export from the USA due to legal battles that took place in the USA protecting freedom of speech around the world.

Servers may be in germany but its %100 fact the software would be unavailable to them without freedom of speech so GTFO with that bs

BTFD
Thu 23 May 2019 1:32 PM by Stoertebecker
Druth wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 8:21 AM
No matter how you spin it, Phoenix is a pirate server that causes Live to loose subscriptions.

It`s a freeshard based on code stolen years ago.

It was Broadsword alone who fakkd up the last remaining live server, noone else.

They saw Uthgard 2 launching soon, they saw how well (from the playernumbers) Uthgard did within the first 6 month, and Broadsword did nothing.
They saw Phoenix launching soon, they saw the release...and Broadsword did nothing.

Broadsword didn`t get that the ppl don`t want a server like live, they don`t want f2p aka Endless Conquest. All that players want is/was a classic server.
Broadsword (should have access to the old classic server code + settings) just refused setting up such a server in time, cause the f.... holy grail Ywain has to stay alive.

Thats what BS did, not phoenix staffs fault.

Such a small team is able to run a classic server and BS don`t? cmon....
Thu 23 May 2019 2:02 PM by Pops999
Haha. BS probably has less devs working on it than PHX.
Thu 23 May 2019 2:09 PM by Sepplord
Stoertebecker wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 1:32 PM
Druth wrote:

It was Broadsword alone who fakkd up the last remaining live server, noone else.

They saw Uthgard 2 launching soon, they saw how well (from the playernumbers) Uthgard did within the first 6 month, and Broadsword did nothing.
They saw Phoenix launching soon, they saw the release...and Broadsword did nothing.

Broadsword didn`t get that the ppl don`t want a server like live, they don`t want f2p aka Endless Conquest. All that players want is/was a classic server.
Broadsword (should have access to the old classic server code + settings) just refused setting up such a server in time, cause the f.... holy grail Ywain has to stay alive.

So if you don't use your property in the ways that i think it should be used, i am allowed to use it and you won't complain?
I guess when you are on vacation the next time a can rent out your room to bednbreakfast, since that is more efficient, and you are doing nothing, when all the people want is cheap housing opportunities.
You might disagree with how they used their license, but its still their license

and WTF is this discussion about free speach? Serious question, maybe i am just not educated about the matter, but so far free speech is a concept about rights to say/express yourself without fear over governmental repercussions/censoring?
A forummoderator doesn't interfere with free speech at all by closing/deleting comments and banning people for it's content. And i have no clue what it has to with code or machine being availalbe?
Thu 23 May 2019 3:12 PM by Stoertebecker
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 2:09 PM
Stoertebecker wrote:
Druth wrote:

You might disagree with how they used their license, but its still their license

It is their license, indeed. But intellectual property...well. BS did not the work.
It was Mythic who lost the code, it was up to them for legal actions. Complicated stuff, i know.

and WTF is this discussion about free speach? Serious question, maybe i am just not educated about the matter, but so far free speech is a concept about rights to say/express yourself without fear over governmental repercussions/censoring?
A forummoderator doesn't interfere with free speech at all by closing/deleting comments and banning people for it's content. And i have no clue what it has to with code or machine being availalbe?

Free speech....
It`s all about where you say something and who is listening.

I can rant about BS or Mythic here, if i go to the official daoc forum i`ll get a ban for the same words, sooner or later. Possible that i get a ban if i even mention freeshards, phoenix or uthgard. If i tell carol that she is such a nice person ( she is ) i`ll get some bonus points.
If i rant at this place about Phoenix or insult the staff i`ll get a ban.
Both cases are legit, i`m a guest here and if there are any rules i follow them. Has something to do with common sense, not with free speech.

Enough Ontopic for you?
Thu 23 May 2019 3:20 PM by Sektor
BTFD wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 1:31 PM
"Guess what? This isn't America, you have no freedom of speech."

Guess what kiddo if code wasnt ruled as free speech protected by the first amendment in the USA thanks to the EFF , DAOC wouldnt exist. It ran on open source linux machines that also wouldnt exist. The copied source code wouldnt exist. E-commerce wouldnt exist. Encryption. P2P etc...

Entitlement lol? Devs in Germany are entitled to copy source code as an export from the USA due to legal battles that took place in the USA protecting freedom of speech around the world.

Servers may be in germany but its %100 fact the software would be unavailable to them without freedom of speech so GTFO with that bs

BTFD

Then you put in the work and run it the way you want to. Otherwise sit down she shut up. Thanks.
Thu 23 May 2019 7:14 PM by phixion
Sektor wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 3:20 PM
Then you put in the work and run it the way you want to. Otherwise sit down she shut up. Thanks.

Kaosfury, is that you?
Sat 25 May 2019 1:36 AM by Runental
Stoertebecker wrote:
Druth wrote:

Classic Server will come after endless Conquest release. Check the Friday grab bag.

https://darkageofcamelot.com/article/friday-grab-bag-05242019

(Last paragraph at the bottom)
Sat 25 May 2019 4:48 AM by Stoertebecker
Runental wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 1:36 AM
Stoertebecker wrote:
Druth wrote:

Classic Server will come after endless Conquest release. Check the Friday grab bag.

Too late, that had to be done 3-5y ago and not in 2019/2020.
Sat 25 May 2019 4:50 AM by Yokahu
Runental wrote:
Stoertebecker wrote:
Druth wrote:

What/when is Endless Conquest?
Sat 25 May 2019 6:40 AM by Stoertebecker
Runental wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 5:42 AM
@Stoerte, was just for you interest

I know, played on live last years for 11 month.

EQ will not work, not the way BS think it should. They`re too fixed on this idea *Ywain must stay alive*.
And in the end, that all comes way too late. Sadly...
Sat 25 May 2019 5:53 PM by Cadebrennus
Runental wrote:
Stoertebecker wrote:
Druth wrote:

The Great Pumpkin is coming!
Thu 30 May 2019 4:31 AM by LedriTheThane
Sektor wrote:

Ironically enough, gets banned for two weeks and rest of characters got deleted for macroing. You won't be mad about it, but if we're going to talk about ruining the server...
Thu 30 May 2019 9:40 PM by Sektor
LedriTheThane wrote:
Thu 30 May 2019 4:31 AM
Sektor wrote:

Ironically enough, gets banned for two weeks and rest of characters got deleted for macroing. You won't be mad about it, but if we're going to talk about ruining the server...

Who said I was mad about it? Their rules I never complained. I think John broadsword is getting dry maybe you should go talk to him again
Sun 2 Jun 2019 2:06 AM by LedriTheThane
Sektor wrote:
Thu 30 May 2019 9:40 PM
LedriTheThane wrote:
Sektor wrote:

Who said I was mad about it? Their rules I never complained. I think John broadsword is getting dry maybe you should go talk to him again

I never said you were mad, I'm saying at least you won't be mad. Maybe get some basic reading comprehension because you've shown me that you are fucking stupid.
Mon 3 Jun 2019 9:46 PM by Sektor
LedriTheThane wrote:
Sun 2 Jun 2019 2:06 AM
Sektor wrote:
LedriTheThane wrote:

I never said you were mad, I'm saying at least you won't be mad. Maybe get some basic reading comprehension because you've shown me that you are fucking stupid.

I think your hairlip has made you a very angry person. Maybe less bad words and more good words. Have a good day!
Mon 3 Jun 2019 10:51 PM by florin
My two favorite troglodytes
Tue 4 Jun 2019 1:41 AM by Pops999
Sektor wrote:
LedriTheThane wrote:
Sektor wrote:

You cheated and have the gall to lecture the rest of us.
Tue 4 Jun 2019 3:46 AM by Sektor
Pops999 wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 1:41 AM
Sektor wrote:
LedriTheThane wrote:

Using a programmable keyboard to suicide is hardly cheating. I don’t recall lecturing anyone about “cheating”. Maybe you should read my original post again then try another response?
Tue 4 Jun 2019 6:02 AM by Sepplord
Sektor wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 3:46 AM
Using a programmable keyboard to suicide is hardly cheating. I don’t recall lecturing anyone about “cheating”. Maybe you should read my original post again then try another response?

a cheater arguing that his cheats weren't really "cheats"

your initial posts after being banned made it seem as if you manned up to your mistake...now it's just pathetic
Tue 4 Jun 2019 10:00 AM by Pops999
Sektor wrote:
Pops999 wrote:
Sektor wrote:

It was only a white lie MOM!!!!!!
Tue 4 Jun 2019 11:50 AM by Sektor
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 6:02 AM
Sektor wrote:

your initial posts after being banned made it seem as if you manned up to your mistake...now it's just pathetic

Well sepp unlike you, idgaf what random people on the internet think. I don’t remember asking for your approval. I stand by what I said in my op and am still thankful for what the devs have done. Perhaps you should reconnect with your father and work on this need you project on others.
Tue 4 Jun 2019 12:07 PM by Sektor
Pops999 wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 10:00 AM
Sektor wrote:
Pops999 wrote:

It was only a white lie MOM!!!!!!

I’m not sure if you understand the difference between “against tos” and “cheating”. If macroing is cheating then we better ban all the paladins.
Tue 4 Jun 2019 12:09 PM by Sepplord
Sektor wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 11:50 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Sektor wrote:

Well sepp unlike you, idgaf what random people on the internet think. I don’t remember asking for your approval. I stand by what I said in my op and am still thankful for what the devs have done. Perhaps you should reconnect with your father and work on this need you project on others.

quite personal for someone "who doesn't give a fuck"

i guess that you either lied, or that i am not a "random people on the internet" to you. I hope it's the first.

Perhaps you should reconnect with your father and work on this need you project on others

Saying shit like that is really a horrible thing to do. You have no idea if my father died yesterday, if he is dyding of cancer at the moment or regularly raped me as a child. I am fine and my family situation is almost perfect, so this isn't hitting home at all. But you have no idea about my personal situation and that you believe going down that route "as a joke" or to get back at a random internet person is fine, confirms what kind of person you seem to be
Tue 4 Jun 2019 12:12 PM by Sektor
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 12:09 PM
Sektor wrote:
Tue 4 Jun 2019 11:50 AM
Sepplord wrote:

quite personal for someone "who doesn't give a fuck"

i guess that you either lied, or that i am not a "random people on the internet" to you. I hope it's the first.

Perhaps you should reconnect with your father and work on this need you project on others

Saying shit like that is really a horrible thing to do. You have no idea if my father died yesterday, if he is dyding of cancer at the moment or regularly raped me as a child. I am fine and my family situation is almost perfect, so this isn't hitting home at all. But you have no idea about my personal situation and that you believe going down that route "as a joke" or to get back at a random internet person is fine, confirms what kind of person you seem to be

Show me on the doll where the words hurt you.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics