1000+ Scammers?

Started 17 Feb 2019
by Waygone
in Tavern
Are we to surmise that there were over 1,000 players that were scammers, or is that they just can't play due to the anti-scammer methods installed?
Either was, seems like a rather large drop-off from last weekend...
Concerning to say the least..
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:14 AM by florin
There’s always drop off once the rush to 50 is over. Some get disillusioned with rvr or take a breather or slow down their activity.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:40 AM by Waygone
Could be that and a combination of factors. Seems fast drop off for 1 week though. Hope it's not a trend
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:41 AM by Pedro
Also a weekend is not always more play time, most of us are grown adults with responsibilities that take us out on weekends.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:16 AM by Kampfar
Pedro wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:41 AM
Also a weekend is not always more play time, most of us are grown adults with responsibilities that take us out on weekends.

This
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:38 AM by Druth
Kampfar wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:16 AM
Pedro wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:41 AM

This

I think the email verification blocks many. Unless they redid the message, I had to go to forums to figure out what was going on.
And many people use junk email adress for stuff like this, to avoid site being hacked and email leaked etc...
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:43 AM by Ceen
They should have thought more about what impact it has to insta make a 2 way authentification because of 0.003% accounts hacked.
Now they ran into black list and lost quite some players.
And well what a suprise, having all account names public aka forum names is a bad I idea?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:47 AM by gruenesschaf
The drop off 2 days ago was quite severe due to the mail problems that are largely resolved though, yesterday it was rather close to level of last week https://unixgeek.com/phoenix.html which is kind of bad in and of itself as it would without those measures have been more but it's not even close to the 1000 people you suggest.

Anyways, with the last update where it now stores a token per account on your computer to skip the verification email in case of ip changes the entire thing should practically become a non issue as it'll just be a single confirmation per account.

Sure there are only very few people that were affected by this one individual but as you say, public account names makes it somewhat easy, especially if weak passwords are involved and hence 2fa is something that should have been there from the beginning.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 12:47 PM by Mac
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:47 AM
The drop off 2 days ago was quite severe due to the mail problems that are largely resolved though, yesterday it was rather close to level of last week https://unixgeek.com/phoenix.html which is kind of bad in and of itself as it would without those measures have been more but it's not even close to the 1000 people you suggest.

Anyways, with the last update where it now stores a token per account on your computer to skip the verification email in case of ip changes the entire thing should practically become a non issue as it'll just be a single confirmation per account.

Sure there are only very few people that were affected by this one individual but as you say, public account names makes it somewhat easy, especially if weak passwords are involved and hence 2fa is something that should have been there from the beginning.

Storing token on our PCs gan be a good thing, to avoid having to validate emails every day BUT... What if that token was somehow deleted? I believe we need a way at login to request another token or that another email be sent. Two factor authentication is a good idea but we need a complete infrastructure system based around that.

Also, if you put a donate button on the site I believe people will send you money. IF you had more funds could you pay for things liked a signed certificate so you don't look so much like a bad actor to the ISPs and mail providers?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:20 PM by Numatic
Mac wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 12:47 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:

Storing token on our PCs gan be a good thing, to avoid having to validate emails every day BUT... What if that token was somehow deleted? I believe we need a way at login to request another token or that another email be sent. Two factor authentication is a good idea but we need a complete infrastructure system based around that.

Also, if you put a donate button on the site I believe people will send you money. IF you had more funds could you pay for things liked a signed certificate so you don't look so much like a bad actor to the ISPs and mail providers?

I thought if the system didnt find the token it would simply send you a reverification email?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:01 PM by Mac
Numatic wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:20 PM
Mac wrote:
gruenesschaf wrote:

I thought if the system didnt find the token it would simply send you a reverification email?

That would work too.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 2:28 PM by dbeattie71
Numatic wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 1:20 PM
Mac wrote:
gruenesschaf wrote:

It does but people are chicken littles sometimes.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:05 PM by Warjon
gruenesschaf wrote:

The thing is most of us do not know you guys. When you hurt the trust that has been given you one can not look at this exactly the same. Having a "token" that sets our Virus programs screaming also gives many a pause. This all has been a hit for many of our trust in your project. One has to at some level wonder what could be coming next?
smh
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:11 PM by Gfxygames
I wouldn't be surprised people think it's a bug and aren't reading the message. They see red and don't read. They prolly continue to see it and think welp, time to go play something else. No where near 1,000 player drop off but I'll bet there's a chunk of people. Or, they don't rember the email or the email password from an account they made during beta. They don't read the forums or check discord to know they can change the email. It's not like they went back to the other server based on pop over there :p. But, this does seem to be a blow to the pop and might start the trend down, hope I'm wrong.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:56 PM by Mac
Gfxygames wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised people think it's a bug and aren't reading the message. They see red and don't read. They prolly continue to see it and think welp, time to go play something else. No where near 1,000 player drop off but I'll bet there's a chunk of people. Or, they don't rember the email or the email password from an account they made during beta. They don't read the forums or check discord to know they can change the email. It's not like they went back to the other server based on pop over there :p. But, this does seem to be a blow to the pop and might start the trend down, hope I'm wrong.

If people can't or won't read they will have a difficult time in DAoC. A LOT of reading is needed.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:11 PM by Armsmancer
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:30 PM by Gfxygames
Mac wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:56 PM
Gfxygames wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 5:11 PM

If people can't or won't read they will have a difficult time in DAoC. A LOT of reading is needed.

They read in-game maybe, this is the message on the launche. Coming from years of being a software engineer, people do not read error messages.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:36 PM by Tyton
There's like 3.5k people online - what is this 1k drop off you speak of?
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:24 PM by Mac
Tyton wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 6:36 PM

4.5K - 3.5k = 1K <- That 1K right there
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:41 PM by Quik
Mac wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:24 PM
Tyton wrote:

Except we have been averaging 3.5k-4k at these times. I've posted the numbers in multiple threads over the last week before the email issues.

We have hit 4.5k but it is not average
Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:05 PM by Mac
Quik wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 7:41 PM
Mac wrote:
Tyton wrote:

Except we have been averaging 3.5k-4k at these times. I've posted the numbers in multiple threads over the last week before the email issues.

EU prime time on Sunday we might well have hit 5K today,
Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:19 PM by Quik
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4777

That was at 1930CET and it showed we had a little under 3k...I sent a PM to someone a few hours later at peak and it showed we had 4k...

Also if you look at the post "We broke 4k players" you will see that at around 2100CET we had 4050 players.

My point is the AVERAGE prime time population we have is 3.5k-4k and that was only 7-10 days ago and at this same time. The 5k is not normal but I certainly hope it becomes so.

The current 3700 shows the email issue is not an issue for a vast majority of the population, we are right where we have been averaging at these same times before.
Sun 17 Feb 2019 10:40 PM by Zansobar
It was back up to 4k clients sometime today when I checked. So I don't think this email issue hurt the population in any measurable way...many people also take weekends off to be with family.
Mon 18 Feb 2019 7:46 AM by Durgrim
I can see dead people!
Sun 24 Feb 2019 3:22 PM by Frug
Quik wrote:
Mac wrote:
Tyton wrote:

When? Unless the phoenix frontpage is wrong, I don't think this is true.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 3:23 PM by Frug
Mac wrote:
Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:05 PM
Quik wrote:
Mac wrote:

EU prime time on Sunday we might well have hit 5K today,

Not unless the Phoenix frontpage is grossly under-reporting, no.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 3:34 PM by Zansobar
Frug wrote:
Sun 24 Feb 2019 3:22 PM
Quik wrote:
Mac wrote:

In game /serverinfo is probably more accurate.
Sun 24 Feb 2019 5:09 PM by Quik
On the Pheonix Wiki usually around 1pm-2pm PST the server has typically been around 4k players.

Someone a week or so ago was posting that the email thing had killed the server population and I did a paste and copy from the Pheonix Wiki showing it was at right at 4k and slowly creeping up.

I haven't checked in the last few days but at that time yes...it was 4k and not uncommon to be close to 4.5k
Sun 24 Feb 2019 6:26 PM by Frug
Zansobar wrote:
Sun 24 Feb 2019 3:34 PM
Frug wrote:
Quik wrote:

So far, it has not been. Every time I've done /serverinfo and checked the phoenix front page, the #'s are within a few 1/10's of % of each other, often exactly the same.

A discrepancy of 500 players I can't accept, because my testing of this hasn't shown anything even remotely close. I'd love to see some screenshots of over 4.5k /serverinfo's though.
Mon 25 Feb 2019 9:23 AM by Mac
Frug wrote:
Sun 24 Feb 2019 6:26 PM
Zansobar wrote:
Sun 24 Feb 2019 3:34 PM
Frug wrote:

So far, it has not been. Every time I've done /serverinfo and checked the phoenix front page, the #'s are within a few 1/10's of % of each other, often exactly the same.

A discrepancy of 500 players I can't accept, because my testing of this hasn't shown anything even remotely close. I'd love to see some screenshots of over 4.5k /serverinfo's though.

The values on Phoenix front page are for connected clients, which could be at char selection screen as well as those in game. /Serverinfo only counts those actually in game so there can be some differences, but not usually huge differences.

Here you can see the actual population overtime: https://unixgeek.com/phoenix.html
Mon 25 Feb 2019 11:46 AM by gruenesschaf
For us a connected client has no realm, while it technically could via the chararacter select screen we do not track that really -> the stuff shown on the front page are logged in players actually in the game on some character (which has the realm). The front page uses an api endpoint that the gameserver exposes and the gameserver itself uses it for the /serverinfo command, the front page shows exactly what at that moment /serverinfo would return for alb/mid/hib and updates once every minute or so, just like ingame the /serverinfo result is cached for 30 seconds. The unixgeek page is actually scraping our front page.

Example from just now:

Mon 25 Feb 2019 4:00 PM by Relidar
gruenesschaf wrote:
Mon 25 Feb 2019 11:46 AM
For us a connected client has no realm, while it technically could via the chararacter select screen we do not track that really -> the stuff shown on the front page are logged in players actually in the game on some character (which has the realm). The front page uses an api endpoint that the gameserver exposes and the gameserver itself uses it for the /serverinfo command, the front page shows exactly what at that moment /serverinfo would return for alb/mid/hib and updates once every minute or so, just like ingame the /serverinfo result is cached for 30 seconds. The unixgeek page is actually scraping our front page.

Example from just now:

Small QoL (which i posted under suggestion weeks ago), mind adding a "Total Players" under the realm numbers please?
Mon 25 Feb 2019 4:57 PM by Anaethema
Relidar wrote:
Mon 25 Feb 2019 4:00 PM
Small QoL (which i posted under suggestion weeks ago), mind adding a "Total Players" under the realm numbers please?

It's already there right above the realm numbers.. unless you are asking for something else?

[edit] Nevermind - I didn't realize you were asking for the total #'s on the website. ><
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics