New players, how did you discover Phoenix?

Started 16 Jan 2019
by defiasbandit
in Tavern
To any one who recently discovered Phoenix, how did you find out about it? Welcome btw!
Wed 16 Jan 2019 8:37 PM by WyandVoidbringer
I was missing classic, old-school MMOs so I poked my head into the DAoC reddit. I saw that Phoenix recently launched. It felt like destiny. I downloaded and installed it last night, and here I am!
Wed 16 Jan 2019 9:03 PM by defiasbandit
WyandVoidbringer wrote:
Wed 16 Jan 2019 8:37 PM
I was missing classic, old-school MMOs so I poked my head into the DAoC reddit. I saw that Phoenix recently launched. It felt like destiny. I downloaded and installed it last night, and here I am!

Great having you! Enjoy some helpful links!

Don't care for that late 90s UI? Try a custom UI!

https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=494&hilit=Bob

Looking to give your DAOC graphics a makeover? Check out ReShade!

https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3526

Do you prefer Solo leveling? I've got a guide for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/daoc/comments/agmg6o/phoenix_a_psa_to_solo_xpers/
Wed 16 Jan 2019 9:22 PM by WyandVoidbringer
Hey, thanks for those links!

That leveling guide is useful. Last time I played DAoC I was a kid. Now I'm a dad with my second child on the way. I've got no time, man! So I'm leveling a Shadowblade solo in the hopes that I can find some form of RvR action at 50.

Do we know if reshade is approved for use on the Phoenix server?
Wed 16 Jan 2019 9:39 PM by SpoonyBard
WyandVoidbringer wrote:
Wed 16 Jan 2019 9:22 PM
Hey, thanks for those links!

That leveling guide is useful. Last time I played DAoC I was a kid. Now I'm a dad with my second child on the way. I've got no time, man! So I'm leveling a Shadowblade solo in the hopes that I can find some form of RvR action at 50.

Do we know if reshade is approved for use on the Phoenix server?

I'll start off by saying I'm not an admin, but I don't see how ReShade would interfere with any of the rules they have in place for their shard. It doesn't directly interact with gameplay to create and unfair advantage.

@defias Thanks for posting the link for XPitems. People are always talking about them, but the most common links/discord links are for 40+.
Wed 16 Jan 2019 10:15 PM by Sorkar
Found it on an MMORPG subreddit. I forgot what the OP was, probably somehting along the lines of someone looking for a new MMO like the old school ones, I see a lot of those and look through them. I came because I loved DAoC back in the day when there were multiple servers and I was never a fan of new frontiers
Wed 16 Jan 2019 10:29 PM by SpoonyBard
Oh yes, I was so excited about Defias post above, that I forgot to write how I learned about Phoenix.

My buddy played DaoC back when it came out; I had always heard friends talk about DaoC but I didn't have a computer or internet when it came out (Podunk USA). He talked me into giving it a go. It has a certain EQ vibe that I'm enjoying. I don't particularly care for PVP but I'm interested to see how RvR will play out.
Thu 17 Jan 2019 4:04 PM by Calconious
I play Live DAOC on the Ywain servers. Was looking for a stream on Twitch to have on in the backround and saw there were like 300 people watching DAOC ( Normally there is like 20 tops ) It was Phoenix release day.

It's very noticeable on Live that Phoenix opened. Population is at an all time low ( ~600ish on all 3 realms combined US primetime ) Loaded up the ol Phoenix website and saw there was like 900 per realm logged on. Didn't hesitate to try it out! Having a blast so far.

Only thing I don't like is some classes that I LOVE on live.... are not the same or even very good on Phoenix ( or non existent ). My poor Valewalker doesn't have half the Scythe styles that make him amazing on Live. My main is a warlock so was a bummer not being able to make one on Phoenix. Oh well!
Thu 17 Jan 2019 4:09 PM by Drewunit
I played DAOC back in the day for a few years, one of my favourite MMO's. Then played Uthgard for a few months the other year with some friends but it was very slow and alot got bored of it. Those friends had been keeping an eye on Phoenix server though so have followed them on. I must say I'm loving it so much more already, only played for one night so far and leveling is so much quicker and loot drops are so much better to give you what you need etc.
Thu 17 Jan 2019 4:21 PM by PingGuy
The Reddit post about the launch showed up in my Google News feed.
Thu 17 Jan 2019 7:03 PM by Valmiki_Guinevere
I was trying to look up guesstimates for Camelot Unchained, and stumbled on to this, last weekend. Perfect timing, and now going down memory lane @ Albion
Thu 17 Jan 2019 10:08 PM by Onos
Luckly I saw a thread about the server starting on Jan 12th in the offtopic WAR RoR forum last week before it was quicly deleted. It's good to play some of my old favourite mmo's

Thank you whoever posted the link... hope you didn't get a forum ban in RoR
Fri 18 Jan 2019 1:24 AM by Atome
Long time PvP mmo player, I was watching some CU videos then stumbled across a DAOC vid that introduced the Phoenix server, it sounded perfect, a brand new launch of a game I never gave enough time to. That’s how I found it, I would call myself a new player as never really played the game.

Anyhow, this evening EU time I’ve had the most fun in an mmo since SWG, so a massive thank you to the team and community behind the project, I am absolutely loving it!
Fri 18 Jan 2019 6:30 AM by Druth
Stumbled upon Uthgard by chance, then went Genisis, then Uthgard then Beta here. Had some breaks in between the diff. servers.
Fri 18 Jan 2019 2:45 PM by Losse
Saw people on uthgard chatting about it.
Mon 21 Jan 2019 3:24 PM by Suitmonster
Ever since I tried Uthgard over a year ago my news feed finds DAOC content and suggests I read it. Usually it is nothing I care about. This time it exactly what I was looking for, and I couldn't be happier with the development team and end product to-date.
Mon 21 Jan 2019 5:23 PM by Shadanwolf
I'm a long time x DAOC player who was looking to escape from UTHGUARD hell. I'm considering Phoenix. I'm a solo player by nature so still wondering if this game is for me. I played in the beta here and still have rvr concerns since my main characters were a Ranger and a Nightshade in beta.
Tue 22 Jan 2019 12:25 PM by Stikato
I very occasionally check the Unchained Reddit, and there was a post there about a server launching in 9 days. Lucky too; none of my group of four had any idea about Phoenix. Definitely still some untapped potential out there.
Wed 23 Jan 2019 12:37 AM by ArsFrags
A guy i follow on twitch that streamed Everquest TLP loaded up DAOC phoenix and it intrigued me. Now here I am playing
Fri 25 Jan 2019 2:08 PM by Whiskiz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YHF5OnzjB0

About 20 comments down.

Watched that just after watching a vid on Asherons Call, just after watcing a vid on Project Gorgon.
Fri 25 Jan 2019 4:13 PM by Shadanwolf
After my escape from Uthguard, I found another 3 realm conflict game(name withheld) I played it a lot until I found there was a heavy bias against archers. Devs want heavy armor as the central focus(and got tired of my bugging them about gimped archers),so I returned to live Phoenix) to give it a try. I play this game for the rvr and have one character close to entering THID.Two more on the way.
Tue 29 Jan 2019 3:53 PM by DinoTriz
I played Project 1999, and someone on their forums made a topic about Phoenix launching.

I did play Uthgard and Live for a little bit in the last year, but it seemed their population was dying off. A bit of a ghost town. At least at lower levels.

Phoenix has been amazing so far.
Tue 29 Jan 2019 6:42 PM by Mishra
Reddit and Facebook
Tue 29 Jan 2019 6:55 PM by back_dog
I'd actually started to enjoy WoW. I had tried it several time in the past but just not enjoyed. They I played a little WoW classic thanks to a potential son-in-law running my own NaNGOS server. Then I had a go on live. That said after 3 months I was a bit burnt out. OK I was half way to my 110 but I did not like the complete lack of any community so I went pack to Uthgard and even on a dead (at low levels) server I had more conversations but the grind is too much for me now even though I am semi-retired. Then someone mentioned Phoenix.

I joined the "Stress Test" and thought this might be my way back to DAoC. To spice it up I decided to switch realm for the start propper and turned my back on 14 years as a Mid and joined Hib. Currently having a ball though a few more character slots would be nice but perhaps having to keep them to 10 is better, stops me starting yet another toon. bd
Mon 25 Feb 2019 8:02 PM by tegs
I'm one of the official devs for DOL, and met a few of the Phoenix devs there.

Eagerly hoping Phoenix goes open source so I can start making a single player server for weirdos like me who like those. 😁
Tue 26 Feb 2019 5:08 AM by Grayald
I was in a discord channel for a gaming community, and people were talking about the old days in DAoC. I said I missed it, and someone gave me the link for Phoenix. So here I am.
Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:55 AM by Zepharosmasher
I was sitting looking for older mmos and stumbled on this when i was looking at Daoc. It feels great to be able to play this game! I have played Daoc since releasedate and my old server was Excalibur. My main was a warrior and second was shammy.

I havent decided what char to play as main yet but i think its gonna be warrior thane or shaman.

Hope to see you ingame!
Tue 26 Feb 2019 11:12 AM by doflynn
Heard about the beta from a friend
Fri 5 Apr 2019 12:01 PM by Vennedra
A friend if mine that was playing of Ulthgard.
I have been playing DaoC 12 years ago and I'm really happy to play it again, espacially on this nice server where leveling is a lot easier.
Fri 5 Apr 2019 12:35 PM by majky666
It was accident, was searching alternative to Uthgard and found Phoenix. Must say it was nice accident, I like Phoenix.
Tue 9 Apr 2019 12:23 PM by Greefer
Craving some old school MMO action .. and found this on Twitch
Tue 9 Apr 2019 1:42 PM by Tillbeast
I am not a new player but had no idea there was anything bar the old live servers let alone any other freeshard. I just fancied having a look at some old daoc videos on twitch to remember the good old days. Saw a live stream so checked in and asked when had EA released a new server and was informed that it was a completely separate freeshard. I said cool, how long this server been about think it would had been a few years...host said 10 minutes server came live. 15 minute later I was in game!!!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics