Help me pick my next gaming monitor

Started 15 Mar 2020
by Quik
in Tavern
Ok so I will be buying a new gaming rig this fall so I am looking to buy a nice monitor to use on my current system, then switch it to my new system.

My budget is around 250-300 and I am not after anything specific like needs to be 27" or needs to be curved.

I want a nice monitor that will play games like GD, WoW, Borderlands 3, DAoC, etc. I am not into competitive gameplay at all.

The company I work for gets me a discount on Amazon and Walmart gift cards so must be purchased from one of those 2 places.

I haven't kept up on monitors so I don't know good brands vs bad brands or if there are specific features I just need to have. I am not worried about power drain and I am not eco concerned about it.

Any recommendations I should look at?
Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:47 AM by Forlornhope
Hook it up to a 80+ inch flat screen TV or go home imo
Mon 16 Mar 2020 4:57 AM by gotwqqd
Forlornhope wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:47 AM
Hook it up to a 80+ inch flat screen TV or go home imo

This
I think mine is 55” and is fine for most things ....except for some intermittent screen going black for about 2 seconds from what seems to be the monitor switching sources for some reason. Detecting input?
Mon 30 Mar 2020 2:15 PM by makasouleater
I went through about 15 monitors about 3 months ago trying to find one. I tried Dell va 32 inch, Samsung qled, hp and a bunch of others between 200 and 600 dollars. All of them have serious flaws, and some had pixels out. Monitor quality control is super low because they dont sell as many as TVs. I decided to go with a 49 nano cell lg, it has really low refresh rate and input lag equal to gaming monitors. It is IPS which to me is the best colors you can get unless you go oled. It has 1080 120 hz, 1440 120hz, and 4k 60 hz does great hdr local dimming.

Also no monitors have good color controls compared to a TV. Other than size I cannot see a reason to get a monitor. The lg nano cell 49 was on sale when I bought it for 499.

It is almost as good as a oled which I have, but 1500 cheaper.

All va monitors have bad back lights worse than IPS tvs, none of them I bought had a good back lights. I bought 2 Samsung 4k IPS monitors both had pixels out. None of them have multi inputs, you cant take a 4k monitor and do 1440 or 1080.

If you just dont want a TV, my recommendation is to go IPS by HP out of Dell, samsung, Acer, and HP, hp had the best quality control. I really dont recommend going TN they look like absolute garbage. I suppose if you never seen a ips, or a oled you wouldn't notice, but if you have it looks really really really bad, and the only point of a computer is to flash pretty pictures and if they dont look pretty what's the point ?

Also unless you have a 2080 plus there is 0 reason to get a 4k TV, unless you only ever plan to play old games on it. 1440 if you have a 2060 2070 or 5500xt, and 1080 for the rest. If you dont have a 5 ghz Intel CPU 6 plus core with a 2080 plus, there isn't a reason to go over 120 hz, getting a min fps of 144 is hard to get with anything less.
Mon 30 Mar 2020 2:21 PM by Truen
Such a tough choice to make man; I sympathize!

When I purchased mine, FPS were the most important component. So, instead of going for a 4k monitor I instead opted for a 144hz 2k 31 inch instead. And, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. As far as a graphics card goes--I run an RTX 2070 Super. While I don't hit 144hz running max resolution on most games, it does get very high 90-110 usually on the highest settings. Had I went with a 4k resolution instead I understand I'd be struggling to even hit 60 fps at times.

That's the balance as far as I can tell you; good luck!
Mon 30 Mar 2020 7:50 PM by gotwqqd
Wonder if anyone has this problem and possible fix.

While playing the game I sometimes get a black screen for about a second.
It usually happens multiple times then goes away for long periods.
I’m using a Samsung hdtv

I was thinking it was possibly tv responding to another tv input, as it auto changes input when you turn a signal from something on.

Then again it may not be tv switching inputs

Not sure how to tell if it’s video card doing something
Mon 6 Apr 2020 2:23 PM by Bentleyzsht
You want atleast 1440P, the difference between 1440 vs 1080 is huge, even if your not playing in 1080 res, I promise.

Atleast 125hz refresh rate, with 1ms response time.

Here is a good one that I've had my eye on for an upgrade. Will last you AWHILE.

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-PG278QR-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01N4ENDXR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=asus+1440p+144hz+monitor&qid=1586182732&sr=8-1

Doesn't have to be from amazon, newegg etc.

smh **Don't use a TV for a gaming monitor**
Mon 6 Apr 2020 5:35 PM by Quik
I ended up getting a 27" MSI curved gaming monitor that I am very happy with, someone PM'ed me the link and it worked out well...thanks everyone =)
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics