Was fun and warning to others....don’t afk for your rp tick.

Started 23 Oct 2019
by gotwqqd
in Tavern
I didn’t know staying logged in to get your tick in a keep was considered macroing.
So for others out there be warned.
Was fun while it lasted but having 20+ 50’s erased along with a dozen other alts kinda takes the wind out of my sails to start over.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 12:49 PM by Sepplord
Are you Zerkel?

Could you clarify? I would assume staying logged in has nothing to do with why you were banned

Did you have a macro that kept you logged in that was working with delays and repeats?
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:05 PM by cuuchulain79
Wait, the staff are banning people who go AFK for free RP?

Golly, I might come back if that's the case!
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:09 PM by gotwqqd
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 12:49 PM
Are you Zerkel?

Could you clarify? I would assume staying logged in has nothing to do with why you were banned

Did you have a macro that kept you logged in that was working with delays and repeats?

I had/have nothing programmable.
Likely I was facing a wall and running into it when I needed to leave for work and had 30 min to get credit for fighting with an enemy(dying as I was level 38) and visiting a keep for attack or defend.

Sorta harsh and disproportionate to other violations but I had fun

Oh and yes Zerkel
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:18 PM by gotwqqd
cuuchulain79 wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:05 PM
Wait, the staff are banning people who go AFK for free RP?

Golly, I might come back if that's the case!
I don’t blame anyone for afking and trying to get easy rp’s
The dynamics as it is makes it frustrating when you are low RR against all these RR8/9+ guys who are templated.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:34 PM by Razur Ur
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:09 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Are you Zerkel?

Likely I was facing a wall and running into it when I needed to leave for work and had 30 min to get credit for fighting with an enemy(dying as I was level 38) and visiting a keep for attack or defend.

Oh and yes Zerkel

I didnt understand this, why you running to wall? everyone can afk staying one hour before he kick from server and all timer task have between 30 minutes and 45 minutes for earning rps! This running was complet sinless. Only you get bann for afk auto running in the frontiers for task rps.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:38 PM by gotwqqd
Razur Ur wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:34 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:09 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Are you Zerkel?

Oh and yes Zerkel

I didnt understand this, why you running to wall? everyone can afk staying one hour before he kick from server and all timer task have between 30 minutes and 45 minutes for earning rps! This running was complet sinless. Only you get bann for afk auto running in the frontiers for task rps.
Well I actually just noticed the time of ban
It was 15 or 20 min after I turned off the tv screen and left for work.
Regarding the running or turning, I don’t know I always have done that even when I’d afk for 10/15 min. I thought the screen change would prevent monitor burn in and getting booted from inactive network.

Well it was in a keep. I was killed somewhere in fri tiers then ported to a keep for the defense and went afk.
Didn’t think anything of it.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 2:23 PM by Sepplord
The thing that really confuses me, is that plenty of people regularly go AFK and do something else or go to sleep, but stay logged in until auto-logout to get their task-ticks.
Also your ban message clearly says that you got banned for Macroing. If you weren't macroing, i would appeal that with the staff

gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:38 PM
Regarding the running or turning,

I want to clarify about this....autorunning i can understand, since it is an ingame funktion...it doesn't help VS disconnects though afaik and shouldn't be a problem.

you also mention TURNING though...so how do you keep turning, to prevent afk, while being AFK without automation? You said you don't have/had anything programmable...did you put a weight onto the turn key or something similar?

You always made the impression of being honest, even when i disagreed and facepalmed with a few posts (probably mutual feeling) but in this case it does seem like you are leaving a few details out
Wed 23 Oct 2019 2:48 PM by shintacki
I am a known afk tasker so I really hope, and suspect, there is more to this story.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 2:55 PM by Razur Ur
shintacki wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 2:48 PM
I am a known afk tasker so I really hope, and suspect, there is more to this story.

that do we all afk staying for task rp ;-).
Wed 23 Oct 2019 3:05 PM by romulus
Hi!
I'm sorry about your ban, warranted or not.
It seems like more people are reporting other players for afking lately, but maybe it's just my perception.
I was farming on my cabbie (spirit/slow) this morning and a necro/cleric pair kept hitting the mobs that were on my pet. I walked over and asked them politely if they would not do that. The necro said to me, "Can't find any other place to AFK farm?"
Later, he came over to me and just sat next to me for about 3 mins without saying anything, but I could feel him typing the /appeal on me for afk farming.

spoiler: I wasn't.

I hope I'm wrong and that there aren't people that just run around filing afk reports on people for frivolous and petty things, but recent events make ya wonder...
Wed 23 Oct 2019 5:23 PM by Keelia
I’ve been accused of afk farming on my animist. I watch movies on my other screen and literally hit 4 binded buttons. Sit/stand, cast forest heart, combined pot, replenishment pot. So from the outside all you see me do is stand every so often, span pets then sit back down, rinse repeat. Dude comes up and stands next to me for like 5 mins and I’m thinking he’s gonna start pulling, I hit him with a Need something /s and he’s like oh I was gonna appeal you thought you were afk. Dude was just gonna appeal me with out even sending me a tell or anything.

Pretty much same thing on my necro as well. Nearer target, life tap, insta life tap repeat, never have to move.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 5:53 PM by romulus
Hi!
I know what you mean. When I'm on my cabbie I just buff the sappy and park him at the edge of the mob field. After that, I don't need to do anything except rebuff every 20m or so. Most of the time I need to throw out a few spirit debuffs (or in the worst-case, a heal or two) if I get more than 3 mobs on the pet at once but otherwise, it's pretty low-touch. I spend the time juggling inventory, salvaging/prioritizing incoming loots, or just walking around enjoying the views (Sunrise and sunset in SI always takes my breath away! ). To the outside world, though, we're AFK farming and there seem to be more and more people reporting other players for this kind of thing.
I hit him with a Need something /s and he’s like oh I was gonna appeal you thought you were afk. Dude was just gonna appeal me with out even sending me a tell or anything.
Yeah, it's sad that this is the way it is. People see someone low-effort farming and naturally assume they are cheating. It takes just a few seconds to send a /t or a /s and see what's up. I would certainly hope that the staff does a good investigation of any afk farming appeal before passing judgment, and I'm sure that they do. I would rather see a few real afk farmers get off (albeit probably temporarily) than a single innocent person get a ban and lose everything that they've built-up in-game.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 7:36 PM by thirian24
I mean honestly who gives a shit if you are afk farming. Sure.. it may be against the rules.. if the GMs catch you fine. But why in the hell would anybody report that. You aren't hurting anyone, you aren't bothering anyone. I mean.. at this point, this game has been out.. 18 years? This is a freeshard.. let it go people my gracious. I don't give a crap what people do as long as they aren't cheating in RvR. Outside of that, do whatever you want imo.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:08 PM by kiectred
Hate to sound rude but I'm calling BS that this is the only reason you got banned because literally hundreds of people do this. Something else was going on, and it's fairly common staff come to threads like this to call people out if they are in fact lying, so maybe we'll see. If not, I'll remain doubtful as I watch 90% of the population do this without getting banned.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:36 PM by gotwqqd
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 2:23 PM
The thing that really confuses me, is that plenty of people regularly go AFK and do something else or go to sleep, but stay logged in until auto-logout to get their task-ticks.
Also your ban message clearly says that you got banned for Macroing. If you weren't macroing, i would appeal that with the staff

gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:38 PM
Regarding the running or turning,

I want to clarify about this....autorunning i can understand, since it is an ingame funktion...it doesn't help VS disconnects though afaik and shouldn't be a problem.

you also mention TURNING though...so how do you keep turning, to prevent afk, while being AFK without automation? You said you don't have/had anything programmable...did you put a weight onto the turn key or something similar?

You always made the impression of being honest, even when i disagreed and facepalmed with a few posts (probably mutual feeling) but in this case it does seem like you are leaving a few details out
I’m old enough that I have some habits from way back.
I started playing games on my 70” rear projector and ended up with burn in. It happened again on a plasma or lcd screen again after.
I don’t know if today’s technology is susceptible to this type of thing anymore when there is not dynamic change of the image, but ever since I started to make the image alter in some way. Since daoc came out I almost only played mmorpg. So pretty much only played daoc and wow sporadically. So I would use something when I would be afk for longer periods of time to mechanically turn my toon.
Now...I have a tungsten bearing that is quite heavy and place it on the keyboard when afk reading or whatever. I put it on letter a. Last night I was solo xping and trying to mix in rvr participation ticks. Last thing I did was make a turn in to level, get killed by enemy then went into I believe beno for a defense tick. Slightly before 7:00pm I put bearing on(as I do when mixing home work in with gaming) and went to laundry room to put my weeks of work clothes together in my work bag. I ended up turning off the tv and walking out the door about 7;10pm for my drive to work.
A according to the post by the dev I was banned/deleted about 19 minutes later.

Hopefully this clears up what is allowed. Maybe they will give clearer description of what is macroing(not it imo).
Also they should reconsider the penalties for various offenses. An afk gets you a two week ban/delete while harassment l/racism/ other can take 5 offenses befor you are banned? I know banned=\= deletion two weeks, but it’s pretty close and I hope they see my point.
Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:44 PM by gotwqqd
Someone mentioned appealing?
How is this done?
I have no game access, no discord...not even a mic setup on my pc...it’s bare bones.
But it will be a moot point if the characters cannot be given back...I’m not starting over. I was under the belief that a deleted toon is gone forever.
Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:29 AM by easytoremember
Moving your character around won't change the pixels occupied by the UI, should just turn off the moniter if you're afk extensive lengths of time

You're right about plasma screens getting images burned into them and they're far worse than the CRT TVs. With a LCD screen you'll see stuck pixels instead of image burning. I've only ever had one pixel stick and it resolved itself within the day.

For using objects to keep keys pressed I know Uthgard banned for it- not sure about here
Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:41 AM by gotwqqd
easytoremember wrote:
Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:29 AM
Moving your character around won't change the pixels occupied by the UI, should just turn off the moniter if you're afk extensive lengths of time

You're right about plasma screens getting images burned into them and they're far worse than the CRT TVs. With a LCD screen you'll see stuck pixels instead of image burning. I've only ever had one pixel stick and it resolved itself within the day.

For using objects to keep keys pressed I know Uthgard banned for it- not sure about here

If you’re turning and your close to a wall you will have complete images changing on every pixel of the screen

Thinking about it more you are correct to some extent
As I don’t remove the UI elements...never thought about those
Thu 24 Oct 2019 1:15 AM by Clockwork
We do not discuss bans in public, as a standard rule for staff. That being said there seems to be great confusion in this thread in regards to our rule 5.

5. Macroing
It is allowed to bind multiple actions to a key, however, delays, repeats, and conditions are strictly forbidden as well as any other means that allow unattended game-play.

Now what many players seem to gloss over is the final bit of the rule: " as well as any other means that allow unattended game-play."

Placing anything on your keyboard to keep yourself in game doing any actions, be they running, spinning, walking, jumping around, constant spell casting, -anything-, is still considered abuse of rule 5.

We will be locking this thread, if anyone wishes further information regarding the rules they can feel free to DM me. In regards to Zerkel's ban that is not for public discussion and solely up to the player to talk to staff privately.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics