holy crap wow is so boring

Started 20 Sep 2019
by hmjek
in Tavern
So I never played wow and tried out classic wow.. jesus christ what a waste of money that was. The pvp and overall movement in that game is terrible. I really wish I didnt get spoiled by daoc early on in my life maybe I could enjoy wow if this game never showed up in my life.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:24 AM by Mavella
Welcome back?
Fri 20 Sep 2019 4:17 AM by gotwqqd
hmjek wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:21 AM
So I never played wow and tried out classic wow.. jesus christ what a waste of money that was. The pvp and overall movement in that game is terrible. I really wish I didnt get spoiled by daoc early on in my life maybe I could enjoy wow if this game never showed up in my life.

And the movement was what most tout about it
Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:25 AM by Sofely
I tried too, boring as hell, i m back on phoenix haha
Fri 20 Sep 2019 6:06 AM by Freedomcall
Never have played wow before so no idea how it is...
Maybe i would try it later, but atm i still have more things to try in DAoC....
I've only played Hib in good ol' days, and on uthgard, most of my experience in mid/alb was pve cuz it was so hard to lvl =p
I kinda like playing different chars in different realms here. playing each 39 class to some extent will take a lot more time i guess.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:49 AM by Tritri
I mean, you can't say that movements in DAoC are better than in WoW, that's ridiculous

WoW has a lot of issue in PvP because they aimed for very small scale PvP (like 40v40 is incredible for them), plus the pvp is instanced so you know exactly what your are up against which I ended up finding quite boring...

Open PvP was what I enjoyed the most in WoW but the game was clearly not build around this, the death mechanic is not suited for open PvP

But WoW brought something important to the mmorpg universe : a fluid and intuitive gameplay

I mean, in DAoC you can't even strafe properly without losing 90% of your speed, you can't stop running on your own without 'exploiting' the face mechanic, camera is plain awful and don't get me started on underwater gameplay (thanks god they got rid of it in phoenix)
Casting interruption don't make sense if you are not used to it (you get rupt, for X sec, you try to cast again but get rupt again when nobody actually attacked you... oO)

Movements in DAoC are really bad, awful. I think it's the main reason why I can't even try to bring people in.

There are a lot of stuff that seperate daoc and wow, I prefere a lot of these on DAoC, but movements...
Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:52 AM by LedriTheThane
Yeah I can understand thinking WoW is boring, but the movement is bad? DAoC's movement is complete ass compared to WoW lol.
Fri 27 Sep 2019 2:22 AM by Sindralor
if only WoW classic had mistweaver monk ...
Fri 27 Sep 2019 3:58 AM by easytoremember
The PvE was decent but they relegate all pvp to BG's and most servers players of enemy faction are safe from being attacked unless they flag themselves, where even the pvp servers only contested/enemy zones force your flag

The only progression I remember from WoW's pvp was buying pvp gear

For movement it was just too favorable to classes with instant ranged skills to spam (hunters warlocks) as they strafe at full run speed
Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:34 AM by gotwqqd
easytoremember wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 3:58 AM
The PvE was decent but they relegate all pvp to BG's and most servers players of enemy faction are safe from being attacked unless they flag themselves, where even the pvp servers only contested/enemy zones force your flag

The only progression I remember from WoW's pvp was buying pvp gear

For movement it was just too favorable to classes with instant ranged skills to spam (hunters warlocks) as they strafe at full run speed
Yea
I always disliked wow, war for those reasons
Just never cared for mobile archers and casters aside from the occasional instant on timer

This is my biggest (among many others) with the development of CU.
Fri 27 Sep 2019 11:37 AM by Tritri
Some points :
- Being able to strafe at normal speed shouldn't be an issue, it's counter-intuitive because you obviously CAN do that in real life. I would understand having some skills that allows your character to do a sprint and not being able to move as freely as they want, but basic movements shouldn't be affected by strafe
- Strafing isn't necessarily "too" favorable for instant casting classes since the game designers are supposed to take into account this possibility while balancing their gameplay
- You can totally use your instants with a mage class without losing much distance in DAoC, it's just that not many kiting classes have meaningful instants (there is bonedance, valewalker, minstrels, ... and ... ?)

Who has never been kited to death by a minstrel running around you with instants and his red/purple pet on your ass ?

gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:34 AM
This is my biggest (among many others) with the development of CU.

Your biggest what ?
Fri 27 Sep 2019 4:27 PM by Sepplord
You can strafe as fast as run forward IRL???
Either you are really slow forward, or i wanne see a video of that

and yeah, i also want to know: WHAT BIGGEST? )
Fri 27 Sep 2019 5:48 PM by Tritri
Tritri wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 11:37 AM
Some points :
- Being able to strafe at normal speed shouldn't be an issue, it's counter-intuitive because you obviously CAN do that in real life.

Sepplord wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 4:27 PM

Reading is a peculiar skill, you should train it

DAoC characters aren't sprinting/running at all if you look at their animation
Fri 27 Sep 2019 8:51 PM by Azuell
Tritri wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 5:48 PM
Tritri wrote:
Some points :
- Being able to strafe at normal speed shouldn't be an issue, it's counter-intuitive because you obviously CAN do that in real life.

Sepplord wrote:

Reading is a peculiar skill, you should train it

DAoC characters aren't sprinting/running at all if you look at their animation

Easy guy. Maybe it's your writing skills or ability to communicate your thought that needs training because I thought the same exact thing as Sepp. Most likely if there are two people who misunderstood, there are even more who left it unsaid. Like me initially.

I even went back and re-read what you said. Still, combining that with your additional clarification provided in this post, and I still don't know what you are trying to say.
Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:19 PM by Cadebrennus
Sepplord wrote:

and yeah, i also want to know: WHAT BIGGEST? )

Sun 29 Sep 2019 8:40 PM by Tritri
easytoremember wrote:
Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:30 PM
Tritri wrote:
There's a lot of stuff you can do IRL that's better off being left outside the game, like Jamal jacking your loot and Tarice breaking into your house

Yeah, but how's normal movement not something you want to implement in your game ? Why would you actually want your movement to be eratic and counterintuitive ?
Sun 29 Sep 2019 9:23 PM by easytoremember
Tritri wrote:
Sun 29 Sep 2019 8:40 PM
Yeah, but how's normal movement not something you want to implement in your game ?
Why would you?
Sun 29 Sep 2019 10:01 PM by Tritri
you're going to have to elaborate if you want me to think that you are being serious
Sat 5 Oct 2019 1:22 PM by gromet12
Movement in DAOC has always been outdated compared to newer games.

I enjoy the lvl'ing experience in WOW, however the PVP could never be balanced because it was built around PVE.

I wish as they added expansions into the game they improved the movement keys but that never happened
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics