Increasing the reward for solo kills, in OF/NF:

Started 18 Jun 2019
by LedriTheThane
in Suggestions
There is a large lack of incentive for soloing currently. There has been since the recent buff value/charge potion changes had made a significant dent in the soloing community. I'm not going to go on a huge rant, but to briefly state, a lot of people (especially assassins) had quit after these changes because everyone essentially had been nerfed, but some more so than others because of how every class utilizes each stat. I noticed immediately the drop of population, and I'm sure many has as well. So basically, this reaction had led to less and less soloers. Either quitting Phoenix entirely, or being apart of groups more often than not. I've noticed whenever I solo it takes much longer to find fights, and I'm much more often ran over in the process of doing so. This is making me feel as if soloing isn't worth it anymore.

So how about this. What if soloers earned twice (or maybe a 1.5x multiplier, whatever works) the amount of rp's, bp's, exp, and so on for each credited solo kill? It's worse to solo in OF due to the bottleneck design to I'd argue twice the amount if OF wins the vote.

Or maybe if NF wins the vote, what if soloers earned an increased amount of rp's, bp's, exp, and so on, if they solo in Ellan Vannin? Or anywhere really, but I'd prefer a sort of designated zone. I think 1.5x multiplier would be fine here since it's easier to avoid zergs.

Basically, the kill MUST be credited as a solo kill in order for this to work.

And to just get rid of one strawman, you probably won't earn as much RP's as you would being a small man anyways, so this isn't some monstrously large efficient increase to RP's.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:23 AM by ExcretusMaximus
There are already too many stealthers and solo only players for the health of the server.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:48 AM by Fooj Fujiyama
This server NEEDS more solo players to be healthy, too many zerging gimpos everywhere.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:58 AM by Turano
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:23 AM
There are already too many stealthers and solo only players for the health of the server.
I'ld say there are too many Skalds + something (mostly bd's) adding on every fight for the health of the Server.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:17 AM by keen
Claiming that a lot of stealthers have quit is not correct. there are more than ever. Also the big charge change had if at all a positive influence on solo activity, opening the gates for more casuals.
So I don't think your post has much truth in it regarding that.
Also favouring solo kills I don't see a good argument for that.
What about the same multiplier for ppl who want to play 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 etc, that is even more rare. Should they get*10rp for winning one?
You picked a Thane didn't need to be a rocket scientist to see that this will suck as a 1v1 class in an open field mmorpg
Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:51 AM by florin
Vast majority of stealthers from launch have either quit or rerolled. There are some veterans but the ones you see are new rr4-5s.

The overall number I’m not sure cause i haven’t counted but you can look at the herald and find all the rr6+ with no rps in the last week to get an idea.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:01 AM by Kampfar
You already get more rps if u kill someone solo than if you Duo. No need to boost
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:02 AM by Sepplord
the drama about adders will just increase even more
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:04 AM by keen
florin wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:51 AM
Vast majority of stealthers from launch have either quit or rerolled. There are some veterans but the ones you see are new rr4-5s.
quite normal that ppl who invested a lot in the beginning burn out fastest with a game. happens to all other classes as well. and hard to speak of veterans with a server 6month old.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:47 AM by dstrmberg
LedriTheThane wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 12:46 AM
Or maybe if NF wins the vote, what if soloers earned an increased amount of rp's, bp's, exp, and so on, if they solo in Ellan Vannin? Or anywhere really, but I'd prefer a sort of designated zone. I think 1.5x multiplier would be fine here since it's easier to avoid zergs.

I like this idea! But... EV should be made solo/smallman heaven. Add a flat solo/smallman bonus to RP with diminishing returns with every player in group. Having over 4 players should make the flat bonus per kill zero. Let's say something like:

players <= 4 : bonus = 1000 / players (1000 is just an arbitrary number that need to be balanced)
players > 4 : bonus = 0

I.e.
4 player group get a flat +250 rp bonus when running in EV
3 player group get a flat +333 rp bonus when running in EV
2 player group get a flat +500 rp bonus when running in EV
1 soloers get a flat +1000 rp bonus when running in EV
Tue 18 Jun 2019 10:26 AM by Nehm
Are you insane? You already get 1300+ rps for a solo kill, with different kind of bonuses activated you sometimes get close to 2000. That's 2x the amount you got back in the days in the real game.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 10:44 AM by Sepplord
Nehm wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 10:26 AM
Are you insane? You already get 1300+ rps for a solo kill, with different kind of bonuses activated you sometimes get close to 2000. That's 2x the amount you got back in the days in the real game.

1300 definitely isn't the base RP...i have only gotten that much with underpop bonuses for solokills (but i agree that buffing up solo/smallman RP would be too much, despite those buffs would apply to 99,9% of my playtime
Tue 18 Jun 2019 1:41 PM by Anelyn77
The problem with less soloers lays with the fact that outside specific classes (like thane, maybe vw, reaver, friar, warrior, arms, bm, champ, hero, skald, minstrel - very few true soloers) who can take a perf or crit shot without too much trouble, nobody else can go solo visi and expect to have successful 1v1 (bd being exception). Any other caster that tries to go solo, even if they do get a 1v1 started, are predictable to any archer that binds his bow shooting to action bar, any other visi adding, any smallmen / fg / zerg.

Plus they get eaten by any sin+archer (lol minstrels they exist too ya know) 99% of times.

Now, since 90% of those heavy / light tanks and hybrids have no speed, you won't really seem them in many places, as it takes time & luck to get where you wanna go.

So it's pretty much - in OF - some of those solo visis that survive their initial rite of passage at the first MG, waiting for other solo visis to come or stealthers to attack em, hoping no FG / zerg or small men will come to join in / clean up.

I don't mind personally if they increase the RP reward for soloers, BUT ONLY vs lvl 50 targets RR3 minimum. So no 35-49 farming as peeps run afk to cide for their task rvr - for obvious reasons. But I also doubt that this will promote more soloing outside of already well known solo visis and few select stealthers from all 3 realms.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 1:46 PM by Caemma
Lol, here you get rps for just smiling at people already... what else?
If there are very few soloers isn't because of RP rate... it's because it's probably unplayable for them or too frustrating, especially with OF mile gates and all the zerg / rp whores running around.

Find a better solution, trust me.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 2:44 PM by dstrmberg
Just give a passive RP increase per day, even if you are logged out (Like in EVE online)!

Then everyone can focus on fun fights instead of farming RPs.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:01 PM by LedriTheThane
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:23 AM

Not true at all.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:02 PM by LedriTheThane
keen wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:17 AM
Claiming that a lot of stealthers have quit is not correct. there are more than ever. Also the big charge change had if at all a positive influence on solo activity, opening the gates for more casuals.
Also favouring solo kills I don't see a good argument for that.
What about the same multiplier for ppl who want to play 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 etc, that is even more rare. Should they get*10rp for winning one?
You picked a Thane didn't need to be a rocket scientist to see that this will suck as a 1v1 class in an open field mmorpg

Go check out the herald for a lot of the top RR stealthers, plenty haven't gotten a kill in weeks, all subsequently quitting around the same time.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:03 PM by LedriTheThane
Kampfar wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:01 AM
You already get more rps if u kill someone solo than if you Duo. No need to boost

Wow didn't know that thanks for the input.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:03 PM by LedriTheThane
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:02 AM
the drama about adders will just increase even more

That won't ever end, not like it matters.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:04 PM by LedriTheThane
dstrmberg wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:47 AM
LedriTheThane wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 12:46 AM

I like this idea! But... EV should be made solo/smallman heaven. Add a flat solo/smallman bonus to RP with diminishing returns with every player in group. Having over 4 players should make the flat bonus per kill zero. Let's say something like:

players <= 4 : bonus = 1000 / players (1000 is just an arbitrary number that need to be balanced)
players > 4 : bonus = 0

I.e.
4 player group get a flat +250 rp bonus when running in EV
3 player group get a flat +333 rp bonus when running in EV
2 player group get a flat +500 rp bonus when running in EV
1 soloers get a flat +1000 rp bonus when running in EV

Love this idea. Glad you're one of the few not just shooting down the entire idea and thinking it's all bias from my end, but instead elaborating on more ideas lol.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:05 PM by LedriTheThane
Nehm wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 10:26 AM

You get tons of RP's regardless on here. Comparing it to back in the day is really silly.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:08 PM by LedriTheThane
Anelyn77 wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 1:41 PM
The problem with less soloers lays with the fact that outside specific classes (like thane, maybe vw, reaver, friar, warrior, arms, bm, champ, hero, skald, minstrel - very few true soloers) who can take a perf or crit shot without too much trouble, nobody else can go solo visi and expect to have successful 1v1 (bd being exception). Any other caster that tries to go solo, even if they do get a 1v1 started, are predictable to any archer that binds his bow shooting to action bar, any other visi adding, any smallmen / fg / zerg.

Plus they get eaten by any sin+archer (lol minstrels they exist too ya know) 99% of times.

Now, since 90% of those heavy / light tanks and hybrids have no speed, you won't really seem them in many places, as it takes time & luck to get where you wanna go.

So it's pretty much - in OF - some of those solo visis that survive their initial rite of passage at the first MG, waiting for other solo visis to come or stealthers to attack em, hoping no FG / zerg or small men will come to join in / clean up.

I don't mind personally if they increase the RP reward for soloers, BUT ONLY vs lvl 50 targets RR3 minimum. So no 35-49 farming as peeps run afk to cide for their task rvr - for obvious reasons. But I also doubt that this will promote more soloing outside of already well known solo visis and few select stealthers from all 3 realms.

Enchanter is also a great solo class.

I think they should add a Speed of the Hunt type of usable item in game, that gives you the equivalent of the hastener speed. And yes, I agree with what you are saying, and I'd like to see a bit more reward because of that. I also think adding a RR and level limit to the bonus is a great idea too.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:09 PM by LedriTheThane
Caemma wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 1:46 PM
Lol, here you get rps for just smiling at people already... what else?
If there are very few soloers isn't because of RP rate... it's because it's probably unplayable for them or too frustrating, especially with OF mile gates and all the zerg / rp whores running around.

Find a better solution, trust me.

Which is why you should vote NF, and why they should turn the task credit into zone specific credit only like they had months ago. It would make it much better.

So, there's your better solution. Trust me.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:09 PM by LedriTheThane
dstrmberg wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 2:44 PM
Just give a passive RP increase per day, even if you are logged out (Like in EVE online)!

Then everyone can focus on fun fights instead of farming RPs.

I'd honestly like to see task credit not exist anymore.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:13 PM by Anelyn77
I know chanter is good (<3 Misy & Backdoor Bandits), but it will still drop like a fly to any perf + archer, this is classic, no ToA / champ lvls, MLs etc. I did tons of solo / small men on live on my 9L8 sorc (yeah NF w/e) but it was only possible because of all the buffs / added survivability for casters, you can't really pull that off here, and even more so in OF (personal opinion, then again there might be some amazing players with skill that let us all behind in a dust cloud, I'm not amazing, just good <3).

/Bnotashamed + Aicha = Love
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:27 PM by Gotmagi
I don't think increasing the rp reward is the way to go honestly.
Adding a new solo title at 1000 solo kills would be nice for a start

My biggest problem with soloing atm is that people seem forced to certain classes for solo (assassins), there's very few dedicated visi soloers and even fewer casters. Soloing on a caster here is true hardmode as the survivability is really bad, any assassins that sneezes on you will kill you, with the exception of bds and possibly sms.

Changing to NF should make soloing a bit easier, since it removes the milegate chokepoints.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:33 PM by Anelyn77
Gotmagi wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:27 PM

My biggest problem with soloing atm is that people seem forced to certain classes for solo (assassins), there's very few dedicated visi soloers and even fewer casters. Soloing on a caster here is true hardmode as the survivability is really bad, any assassins that sneezes on you will kill you, with the exception of bds and possibly sms.

Changing to NF should make soloing a bit easier, since it removes the milegate chokepoints.

Been for 2 days on hib and couldn't find ya to return the /hug hehehehe! Am in Emerald Knights, Aicha - Mentalist, will try to poke you today again <3

/Bnotashamed + Aicha = LOVE!
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:45 PM by Mavella
If NF wins I do hope they add a speed option(maybe on a longer CD so non speed classes aren't permenantky granted speed but allowing for repositioning).

Camping bridges/docks/boat drops is going to get tiresome very fast as it's not feasible to move around once hastener is gone.
Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:20 PM by LedriTheThane
Gotmagi wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:27 PM

Adding a 1k solo title doesn't really encourage anything in my opinion. It's nice, but doesn't solve any issues.

I know that not many classes being solo friendly is technically a problem, but that's all about class balancing and revolves around the fundamental core mechanics of the game. Especially with casters, being interrupted with casting makes it tough. You'd have to overhaul a lot of things even further if you'd want everyone to get involved.

Slightly related, I was told that Paladins scaling with stats when leveling is acuity, which kinda makes no sense. If that is the case, they should change it to strength and make them better. BUT idk about that lmao.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 8:44 AM by Pbuck
keen wrote:
Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:17 AM
As someone who has mostly soloed from rr7 to rr11l3, I find this statement extremely inaccurate. As a solo player you used to be able to find action 24/7 on all good solo spots( odins , svasud, hadrias, druim ligen to name the ones I most often used). After the recent buff /salvage changes + the DDos attacks, there appeared a daily time window where action was just plain bad for solo play ( the aforementioned zones empty of action and the only alternative being Emain , which is almost always bad for solo action). Fast forward to recent server activity, this window kept growing and growing and reached a point where one, as Ledri nicely put it, started to question the viability of this playstyle. Simply put, the time window where solo action was decent/viable was too narrow to guarantee the sustainability of running solo daily for more than a few minutes per session.
One thing that I want to make clear is that in my description of solo play, I did not include zerg surfing or adding in emain. This is probably still viable. Another thing i would like to point is why I think pure solo action in emain is almost always not viable. There is a just a straight line connecting mpk-mmg-amg-apk. There is simply very low chance that small skirmishes on this path won't get adds.Plus you have to go past the milegate in the first place , which isn't always easy to do.You also can't really find alternative paths to get incs that will not get added.
I used to think that as server pop settled down into the low 1ks, action would improve for solo play as zergs/groups would diminish in numbers but I was very wrong on my prediction. Solo action was made viable due to the population of the non-emain zones and as server pop died down and the action became more emain centric so did solo play.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 8:56 AM by keen
Yes solo action has gone down. I just dont think it is related to buff changes. Server pop has gone down so activity in general is down, not just solo. ppl have made friends and grp much more, ppl play emain exclusivly, insta amnesia ruining game play for visible solos and small men. So less ppl to find solo.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 9:02 AM by Anelyn77
It's just a chain reaction.

Any visi will be targeted by any duo-small men, those being targeted by other small-men and FGs, then 2-3FG on stick (or simply running same direction on different sides of the road lol) will hit anything that is red.

Solo will complain about being the target of everyone else, duo's complain about 3m / small men, 3m / small complain about FG, FG complain about other FG / small / solo adding, and zergs just collecting everything on their way to next keep.

This won't change in OF, ever. It been like this for all the years past, and to come. In NF you can't really do it because there's no choke points, peeps can jump earlier from boats (hf camping disembark spots once peeps wise up), not everyone uses the bridges when you have same speed in water etc.

/Bnotashamed + Aicha = LOVE
Fri 21 Jun 2019 11:37 AM by Luluko
soloing isnt fun as long as we have to run through walls which are camped, get no speed of the hunt (I am quite bored of my skald) and as long as we dont have ways to beat op duos since many people are orportunists in daoc and not dying is more important than a few more rps. That would either mean:
- a smallman/solo zone where you are back in action fast and buff npcs so people arent too afraid of dying
or
- you nerf timers/ras and op classes like bds and remove almost all timed instant cc which is 10min+ timers. (which lets face it is too much work and fucks up the balance for the rest of the playstyles) also removing the abilitiy to use /switch for offhands so lighttanks arent so fucking ridiculous in duo with slam or just nerf slam duration like it is on live
or
-give us better ra's which help vs duos but dont help if its the opposite (like a timed buff which gives you more defense/attack but only if you are solo for a while)
I doubt any of that will happen tho.
Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:10 PM by Sepplord
the thing i don't understand is, how will you find more soloers if everything is spread out more?
If you meat less duos/smallmen/zergs then you will also meet less soloers (and there are already only a few)
If soloers have many options to go to, then you also have to go to lots of options to finally find one.
with inofficial zones for that, nothing changes compared to OF

(disclaimer: this isn't a NF/OF good/bad comment, i just don't understand how removing chokepoints makes it easier for slow-nonspeed-classes to find another solo enemy)
Fri 21 Jun 2019 11:11 PM by teiloh
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 21 Jun 2019 1:10 PM
the thing i don't understand is, how will you find more soloers if everything is spread out more?

The answer is: they don't. /stats any player who claims this. Only 1 or 2 out of 20 I did this test to showed performance that stood up to their claims.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics