Switch Between OF and NF

Started 15 Jun 2019
by Urzawolf
in Suggestions
I wanted to suggest that we just plan to switch between OF and NF at regular intervals, maybe once a week or month. Let's just have the best of both worlds.
Sat 15 Jun 2019 2:08 PM by gotwqqd
Urzawolf wrote:
Sat 15 Jun 2019 1:36 PM
I wanted to suggest that we just plan to switch between OF and NF at regular intervals, maybe once a week or month. Let's just have the best of both worlds.

Not a bad idea
Do it for 2 months a week at a time then vote
Sun 16 Jun 2019 6:20 PM by Beren
Urzawolf wrote:
Sat 15 Jun 2019 1:36 PM

That is indeed THE solution for everyone.

If the devs have the resources to do so, it would make everyone happy.
At least those who dislike one or the other could stand playing it, knowing that their preferred frontier map system will be played after a certain period of time once again.
For many players it will be a welcomed change now and then, switching out the frontier map systems.

This is the only mechanism, i can think of, that WILL NOT harm the server, but make it more interesting!

Because a certain amount of players being frustrated, when their favourite frontier map system won't be implemented, will stop playing.
We all can easily imagine that.

Please include a 3rd option in the poll:
Should we establish a frontier map system, that will be alternating between NF and OF every ..... weeks/months?

To further enhance OF:
make relics count again

To further enhance NF:
make a more complex task system, that creates opportunities for ambushes due to the necessity of travelling apart from teleport & boat routes
(ideally involving also the Ellan Vannin Terrain)
Mon 17 Jun 2019 12:02 AM by Azrael
Beren wrote: it would make everyone happy
Liar!
Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:49 AM by Beren
Azrael wrote:
Liar!

An exaggerated claim is no Lie.
It is my opinion nonetheless, that it would make everyone happy in the end.
Happier than losing the poll. Happier than winning it, because the winners will face less population. We can't even lose 10% of the playerbase atm!
Hence their gaming experience will suffer too, despite their pyrrhic victory.

Btw:
What if you would formulate a somewhat thought out response with a little bit of contributing content instead of a one word insult?
Mon 17 Jun 2019 10:10 AM by kiectred
Beren wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:49 AM
Azrael wrote:
Liar!

Happier than losing the poll. Happier than winning it, because the winners will face less population. We can't even lose 10% of the playerbase atm!

Btw:
What if you would formulate a somewhat thought out response with a little bit of contributing content instead of a one word insult?

Hahahahaha man, I'm pretty sure it was just a joke. Chill.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 1:10 PM by Beren
kiectred wrote:
Beren wrote:
Azrael wrote: Liar!

Btw:

And i thought this was a game for grown-ups.
What i find frightening is, that reading the forum doesn't confirm that most of the time.

I am even more afraid, that if i was reading VNBoards or any other forum of the time of the zenith of this game,
it would not be all too different from here concerning the tone and the quality of the content of the posts.
Allthough players back then must have been across-the-board about 15 years younger.
Why is there no development?
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:11 PM by Korbayne
This was my thought all along. Two weeks of NF, switch to two weeks of OF and keep that rotation going. It will be more work for the devs, but I believe this is the best possible solution to this heated debate. There is no way to please everyone because everyone's opinion will differ in what is "fun" for them in so many ways. This might be the best scenario solution.

my 2 copper
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:15 PM by cere2
Korbayne wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:11 PM
This was my thought all along. Two weeks of NF, switch to two weeks of OF and keep that rotation going. It will be more work for the devs, but I believe this is the best possible solution to this heated debate. There is no way to please everyone because everyone's opinion will differ in what is "fun" for them in so many ways. This might be the best scenario solution.

my 2 copper

You may be correct, but consider this as well. You could be the nuclear bomb of daoc with this idea.
What good would it do to have alternating OF/NF if the people who love OF don't play for the 2 weeks NF is active, and the people who love NF don't play for the 2 weeks OF is active?
What you will have is in 2 months everyone....will find something else.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:22 PM by Korbayne
cere2 wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:15 PM
Korbayne wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:11 PM

my 2 copper

You may be correct, but consider this as well. You could be the nuclear bomb of daoc with this idea.
What good would it do to have alternating OF/NF if the people who love OF don't play for the 2 weeks NF is active, and the people who love NF don't play for the 2 weeks OF is active?
What you will have is in 2 months everyone....will find something else.

Very true it could happen, I think it could also very easily happen now that we have all gone down this rabbit hole.
Choose NF and those that hate it /rage quit and in a few months those that stayed find something else because of the population.
Choose OF and........well the same thing happens.
Rotation of Frontiers, the same thing could very well happen, but maybe they "deal" with the other frontier and keep playing.......
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:41 PM by Azrael
Beren wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Liar!

Btw:

What I can tell for the moment that I will play the game whatever the outcome of the poll will be. What I do not like is people who think they can speak for many, most or all which includes me. For the moment I could life with OF or NF but not with a weekly switch. I think this would not fit into this game.
Beside that I could live with a lower population. If it is not that crowdy anymore you know each other and your enemies, you have nice fights without any adds or do not get rolled that often. It can be dangerous that the player drop is too much so nobody will be there , that is how I see it for the moment from my experience.

If you expect reactions from grown-ups you should treat people like that. If you have your opinion - ok, but do not try to speak for others or claim to know what will harm the server and what not.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:54 PM by jackatom74
Is it possible to run both simultaneously? As it stands we port into each as it is. Have an expanded keep system?
Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:13 PM by Tree
Thats a solution that will probably make noone happy. Those who want OF will play every second week and then those who want NF get their turn. Baaaaaad idea.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:18 PM by Roto23
Beren wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 1:10 PM
kiectred wrote:
Beren wrote:

Btw:

What i find frightening is, that reading the forum doesn't confirm that most of the time.

I am even more afraid, that if i was reading VNBoards or any other forum of the time of the zenith of this game,
it would not be all too different from here concerning the tone and the quality of the content of the posts.
Allthough players back then must have been across-the-board about 15 years younger.

slow down man, I'm still googling "pyrrhic"
Mon 17 Jun 2019 6:18 PM by kiectred
Beren wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 1:10 PM
kiectred wrote:
Beren wrote:

Btw:

You said something would make everyone happy. He jokingly said it's a lie (again, a joke, not to be taken literally as calling you a liar) because you can't make everyone happy.

And seriously... you thought this was "a game for grown-ups"? It's a game for anyone, but preferably people who understand simple humor without getting offended.
Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:03 PM by Beren
Azrael wrote:
Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:41 PM
Beren wrote:
Azrael wrote: Liar!

Btw:

What I can tell for the moment that I will play the game whatever the outcome of the poll will be. What I do not like is people who think they can speak for many, most or all which includes me. For the moment I could life with OF or NF but not with a weekly switch. I think this would not fit into this game.
Beside that I could live with a lower population. If it is not that crowdy anymore you know each other and your enemies, you have nice fights without any adds or do not get rolled that often. It can be dangerous that the player drop is too much so nobody will be there , that is how I see it for the moment from my experience.

If you expect reactions from grown-ups you should treat people like that. If you have your opinion - ok, but do not try to speak for others or claim to know what will harm the server and what not.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
I wouldn't have guessed that someone would prefer things this way, so good to read your statement.
It was an exaggerated claim of mine to say everyone would be happy with a switch mechanism.
Considering your opinion, which others might share, it appears even more exaggerated, maybe over-exaggerated.

My main reason for posting was however not claiming to speak for everyone, but to present and promote the idea of switching out OF anf NF after a while.
It's good, that we get into discussing this now, even if it might not be the solution for everyone, that i thought it might be.

Nonetheless calling me a liar isn't appropriate in this case.
I'll leave it to that.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics