A Look at the Beastcraft Line

Started 28 Mar 2019
by BaldEagle
in Suggestions
The Beastcraft line is arguably one of the weakest spec lines on the Phoenix server. The buffs in the line are outdone by charges, and often the pet can actually heal your enemy more than it actually does damage.

I don’t want to directly compare BC to Pathfinding, but it is important to look at some similarities. The difference between the two is the BC line has a pet with a str/con buff, while PF consists of a self base str and damage add buff. This is all fine, but there is one head scratching difference. The spec AF buff in both are level 42, yet the Ranger’s AF buff provides a 64 value, while the Hunter’s is only of 52 value. If these were different levels, then it would make sense as it would match similar buff values across the rest of DAoC, but for some reason Rangers get an extra 12 AF for the same amount of points. The Dex/Qui buffs follow the normal logic, so I’m unsure why this AF buff doesn’t.

So, let’s have a look at how to make a hunter’s pet stronger to match the extra base str and dmg add buff the ranger has access to. The easiest way to do this would be to have the hunter’s pet automatically spawn with the str/con buff. Majority of the time, a hunter will not have their pet out, and if they do the thing moves so slow that the fight will be over before he even gets on the action. Most hunters will spawn their pet right when the action starts, making the str/con buff relatively useless. I think this would be a simple change and would make it virtually impossible for the pet to heal the enemy off armor procs more than it does damage.

Suggestions

Small Scale Changes:

-Up BC AF to match that of PF (Same level, same value).
-Spawn hunter pet with str/con buff already on.

Larger Scale Changes:

-Increase overall value of self buffs. Right now even if a Hunter puts 50 into BC for the 50 Dex/Qui value, it only turn into 62.5 (50 x 1.25), making it less effective than a charge and essentially useless. Also, no one would ever go 50 into BC unless it came with a stronger pet.
-Add more buffs to BC, or make red Dex/Qui more achievable (This is a bit far-stretched, but I’ll throw it out there).
-Increase level of Hunter's pet and charmable level (would be fun to see hunter's out there with some unique pets).
Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:00 PM by Amp_Phetamine
I'm cool with an instant str/con buff attached to the pet that scales to the tier of the pet.

As far as AF, I'm fairly certain it's because ranger AF is spec AF value? Although it's interesting the +/- 12 difference at the same tier spell.

I'm absolutely fine with BC having viable/useful/fun abilities at high spec levels. It has to be designed in a way so that if you want the powerful BC spells, you gotta spec for it and you gotta sacrifice either bow dps or melee dps for it as well.
Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:03 PM by BaldEagle
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:00 PM
I'm cool with an instant str/con buff attached to the pet that scales to the tier of the pet.

As far as AF, I'm fairly certain it's because ranger AF is spec AF value? Although it's interesting the +/- 12 difference at the same tier spell.

I'm absolutely fine with BC having viable/useful/fun abilities at high spec levels. It has to be designed in a way so that if you want the powerful BC spells, you gotta spec for it and you gotta sacrifice either bow dps or melee dps for it as well.

Thank you for your contribution. They are both Spec AF to be clear.
Thu 28 Mar 2019 11:09 PM by Padatoo
I would agree with any kind of buff to BC line
Thu 28 Mar 2019 11:27 PM by SaintRon
I think Pathfinding needs a bit of a buff too.

I love magic and I can't even argue going into these spec lines other than to save money.
Fri 29 Mar 2019 5:29 PM by BaldEagle
Not sure I like that when your pet is attacked, it pops you out of stealth. Just even more incentive to never have it up, which means the buff will never be on.
Fri 29 Mar 2019 6:44 PM by BaldEagle
SaintRon wrote:
Thu 28 Mar 2019 11:27 PM
I think Pathfinding needs a bit of a buff too.

I love magic and I can't even argue going into these spec lines other than to save money.

I agree SaintRon. The fact that you can spec so high in a line with self buffs only to be outdone by charges doesn't make much sense. If anything, it should be the other way around, but I don't think charges will ever get a nerf (though they should).
Fri 29 Mar 2019 10:18 PM by jg777
Absolutely would like to see Beastcraft line revamped/boosted. Could even go a Bonedancer style and higher levels gives additional pets, or pets get a small chance to stun/snare that grows in percentage the higher you go into the line. Or give pets an intercept chance percentage to take blows for the hunter.

With buff charges, I wonder if the buffs should just be removed from Pathfinding and Beastcraft and compensated with other things to strengthen the lines and make them spec worthy.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 2:10 AM by woody
BaldEagle wrote:
Fri 29 Mar 2019 5:29 PM
Not sure I like that when your pet is attacked, it pops you out of stealth. Just even more incentive to never have it up, which means the buff will never be on.

Put it on passive

I'd be happy with a pet that isn't incredibly slow. Given that running perma sprint is the norm, the pet is nullified with minimal effort.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 4:21 AM by AngelRose
The pet is basically useless. It needs either speed or a minor cc to be worthwhile. Nothing OP, either sprint speed for pet or 2 sec snare.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 3:16 PM by semadin
I don’t think there’s any danger in letting the higher value buffs in the lines scale a heck of a lot more than they do. They are forced to compete with a baseline that isn’t buffless but rather the alch pots.

The highest spec dex should be 75 base. Both classes have to sacrifice significantly in either melee or ranged or both to get that.

I’d say the rest of the highest buffs should also scale similarly.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 2:53 AM by stetty
I can agree. As I am looking at the herald there are far less rr5 hunters compared to the other archer classes which tells me that this is relatively undesirable to play to the masses.

In my experience so far the Hunter has the only pet in the game that doesn't seem to do anything other than spawn. It runs slow, I can't buff it unless I keep it around, it can be kited out. Every other pet in the game that's blue con and class specific brings something to the table.

Beastcraft as a whole doesn't really bring much value outside of the Speed every 10 minutes and the minimal value the pet does bring so far. The two charms aren't usable, especially when you have a blue pet you can get and not have to "manage" across the zone while in stealth. The buffs aren't really worth specing for as Charges are better across the board.

Would be nice to at least see the pet get some form of speed, or bring in the disease, higher level pet, etc.

Plus it's tough to justify really even go higher than 34 BC to get to the next batch of higher level spells without completely sacrificing bow or spear completely let alone the fact that the return for what you get is not worth the points. There needs to be something in the line that has upside to it and is unique that hunters would want to go for and justify not using bow or spear because there is value there.

Stettyguccimane - 5L0
Fri 19 Apr 2019 6:06 PM by BaldEagle
Crawls out of his hole to see if the BC line issue has been addressed. Sees a buff to enchanter and cabbys' already OP pets. A small tear run down the side of his cheek. Crawls back into hole.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics