Race respec - change needed

Started 28 Mar 2019
by Meandow
in Suggestions
Please reconsider removing the new respec race change, it just doesn't fit with daoc. Starting stats respec is more than enough, if people dont like their race they should seriously have to reroll.

If you for some reason go ahead with this change then at least reset all realm points to 0 or at the very least reduced them by half.
Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:18 PM by waffel
And you couldn't have posted this on the thread in Planned Changes where everyone else is giving their opinions?
Fri 29 Mar 2019 4:39 PM by Lewk
Why are you worried about it? Race respec is a cool addition.
Fri 29 Mar 2019 4:58 PM by phixion
He already did post in there... Not sure why he thinks we need a new thread about it.

I'm sure being able to race respec could actually keep people playing if they feel they made a mistake.
Fri 29 Mar 2019 8:36 PM by Bumbles
Bet you want it to be harder to get to lvl 50 too? Give a reason/example why this would be an issue in any way?
Fri 29 Mar 2019 9:06 PM by cere2
So, if I want to switch from pierce to blades on my ranger I should have to suffer?
Or what if I chose troll savage thinking H2H was str based only? Should I have to waste all my RR because I want to min max?
There is just no logic to this. You want people to have to restart a fresh toon because the game changes as we play?
Maybe you have 30 hours a week to play but not everyone does. And if we want to pay 10k bps to try a different race to see if maybe we just like the "look" of the eye-patch dwarf over the troll?
How does this have any effect on you?
It ruins your feel of the game?
Unreal...
Sat 30 Mar 2019 10:25 PM by jhaerik
phixion wrote:
Fri 29 Mar 2019 4:58 PM
He already did post in there... Not sure why he thinks we need a new thread about it.

I'm sure being able to race respec could actually keep people playing if they feel they made a mistake.

Another nail in the coffin for us guys that came for SI.
Sat 30 Mar 2019 11:02 PM by Freedomcall
Why do you think it doesn't fit with DAoC?
It's just one of the QoL.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 4:41 PM by k3mra
i realy like the idea of race respecs

i leveled a wizard as avalonian and thought .. if i want to do a rvr wiz i can still level a breton... now im 50 and i want to go rvr but i dont have the time to level a new one.. when the patch goes live i can now just switch my race when i finished the encounter.

other example ... i want to make a perfect pve pala ... i start as highlander because he is the best for rvr and go for the meta hybrid build... now when i hit 7l4 for example (mob 9, purge 5) ... i can now change my race to saracen and go full shield for pve... why should i do all the suffering by going rvr for so long as saracen?

or i did a fun char ...incu (master race) arms ... i made a lot of fun ... but at some point i think about getting serious and want to change to half ogre or highlander... now i have to do all the rvr from 0 ?

we realy all know how to pve and level a char to 50 ... so why dont just give us the option to change races when we want ... in my opinion its a great addition. thumbs up!
Mon 1 Apr 2019 5:33 PM by SaintRon
I'm really not seeing a downside other than vague feelings.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 8:16 PM by Ceen
Its bad and not daoc.
Wont waste many lines on it since who doesnt understand simple wont ever agree with me.
Mon 1 Apr 2019 8:44 PM by phixion
Ceen wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 8:16 PM
Its bad and not daoc.
Wont waste many lines on it since who doesnt understand simple wont ever agree with me.

But the task system IS DAoC?
Mon 1 Apr 2019 8:54 PM by Ashenspire
Ceen wrote:
Its bad and not daoc.

There are 20 years of different versions of DAoC. Which DAoC are you talking about?
Tue 2 Apr 2019 3:24 AM by jhaerik
Ashenspire wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 8:54 PM
Ceen wrote:
Its bad and not daoc.

There are 20 years of different versions of DAoC. Which DAoC are you talking about?

The one most of us came for I'd imagine. 1.65.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 3:25 AM by Riac
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 3:24 AM
Ashenspire wrote:
Ceen wrote:
Its bad and not daoc.

i dont see how a race respec negatively impacts your experience in the game? are you mad that you see someone and they used to be a dwarf but are now a kobby ? does this break your immersion or something? whats the big deal?
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:09 AM by jhaerik
Riac wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 3:25 AM
jhaerik wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:

i dont see how a race respec negatively impacts your experience in the game? are you mad that you see someone and they used to be a dwarf but are now a kobby ? does this break your immersion or something? whats the big deal?

Because the whole thing is being tied in to instanced Catacombs content? AKA lets make the Daily curse dungeon everyone hated from live a thing here? Also I just see it leading to more and more annoying things. Just stuff is being added that pull speople away from RvR for more and more time per day. It makes it blasted annoying for anyone not in a set 8 man to get people out and about grouping for RvR. Seems like every time I try to get a group going they are in TG, waiting for TG... doing drag... feather farming DF... whatever. Now folks are going to be running this new dungeon every day for feather/race respecs.... w/e.

Just make stuff available for BP and stop adding more distractions. :/ Can't even pay your rent for BP here. Finding it harder and harder to bring myself to log in anymore. Every time I log in and try to do anything it's interrupted by people needing to go farm some more feathers for one reason or another.

Frankly the whole concept of race respec just strikes me as completely off for DAoC. Sounds more like something some crappy Asian P2W game would have.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:56 AM by Lev
Riac wrote: i dont see how a race respec negatively impacts your experience in the game? are you mad that you see someone and they used to be a dwarf but are now a kobby ? does this break your immersion or something? whats the big deal?
just something to think about:
how about a class respec? or a realm transfer? what's the big deal on those? it's just QoL.

it's where you draw a line and IMO the race respec is too much already. some things need to stay fixed and persistent.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 8:10 AM by Sepplord
to be fair though...

what are these people farming TG/DRAGON/(and soon) Instance daily needing all those feathers for?
The thing is, they don't, but still enjoy farming them. As a break to RvR or because they don't like RvR at all.

The EpicRaids also take longer than this instance so overall i would estimate LESS time spent in PvE might be possible.

There will also be less raids overall AND people will feel less pressured to participate in them.
I know quite a few people that go to every TG they can, because "they won't always be this fast and regularly sceduled". With a new source of income, where the actual players are not carrying a bunch of half-AFKs i see the actual timespent in PvE for some people to be decreasing.

An 8man will probably also not run 15-20minutes into the dungeon and gather for 45minutes before (those times are conveniently left out when people talk about how fast dungeons XYZ is being cleared)
Tue 2 Apr 2019 9:42 AM by Mac
jhaerik wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
Ceen wrote:
Its bad and not daoc.

If you came here looking for a pure 1.65 version of DAoC with no custom changes you should have realized long ago that Phoenix has MANY custom changes. These are just a few more. BTW, 1.65 wasn't very fun back in 2003 and didn't last very long.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 10:32 AM by Bradekes
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:09 AM
Because the whole thing is being tied in to instanced Catacombs content? AKA lets make the Daily curse dungeon everyone hated from live a thing here? Also I just see it leading to more and more annoying things. Just stuff is being added that pull speople away from RvR for more and more time per day. It makes it blasted annoying for anyone not in a set 8 man to get people out and about grouping for RvR.

Frankly the whole concept of race respec just strikes me as completely off for DAoC. Sounds more like something some crappy Asian P2W game would have.

So you realize there was a server called Gaheris that was all about PVE right? People did play on that server... Some like PVE content, games like Diablo 3 show that... I am guessing that is where the Devs got their inspiration for speed run dungeons...

As for race respec.. Guess what, you don't have to participate in any of the things you don't like.. It's as easy as forgetting about it and stop being such a Debbie Downer and go on with your gaming.. I assure you it will have 0 impact on your enjoyment if you choose not to pay attention to it.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 10:46 AM by SlowMo
jhaerik wrote:
Finding it harder and harder to bring myself to log in anymore. Every time I log in and try to do anything it's interrupted by people needing to go farm some more feathers for one reason or another.

You simply have to accept, that your way of enjoying daoc is just one of many ways.

And tbh - I dont understand your point, there is plenty of RVR action every time I am logged in.

If you can´t enjoy it anymore, move on or give it a break.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 12:33 PM by chryso
jhaerik wrote:
Seems like every time I try to get a group going they are in TG, waiting for TG... doing drag... feather farming DF... whatever. Now folks are going to be running this new dungeon every day for feather/race respecs.... w/e.

Ok, so you are just mad that people aren't playing the way you want them to play.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 12:51 PM by phixion
Doesn't log in, yet still wants to stop the race change from happening.

Entitlement, ladies and gentlemen.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 1:06 PM by Ashenspire
jhaerik wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
Ceen wrote:
Its bad and not daoc.

So the one that this version is loosely based on but not really because of the hundreds of custom changes put into the server, such as exp changes, qol and balance changes, NNF RAs, etc.

In other words, you have no real reason to justify your view on these Respecs as they have no impact on your game whatsoever, you just view yourself as some kind of elite player and anything catering to the casual gameplay is viewed as bad because you're still stuck in 2004.

Neat.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 2:08 PM by Waygone
jhaerik wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
Ceen wrote:
Its bad and not daoc.

As far as I know, there's still a strict 1.65 version of DaoC waiting just for you bud..
At least, I think it's still up and running... Better make it quick!
Tue 2 Apr 2019 2:28 PM by SaintRon
So far I've seen (to put it bluntly).

1) I don't like it and I won't explain! (Feelings)
2) It's a slippery slope! (Feelings + fallacy)
3) People won't play the way I want them to play! (Feelings)
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:15 PM by jhaerik
SaintRon wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 2:28 PM

Feeling = thoughts. Thoughts= ideas. Ideas = why people quit.

No one is going to quit if it's not added, some might if it is. Frankly a lot of us are getting sick of all the rapid change. There is a major patch about ever damn week. I've disliked the vast majority of the changes so far. It's really starting to add up. Just like the pointless April Fools day crap yesterday. A day of RvR ruined because some bored Dev got a wild hair and felt like annoying people. Crap like that doesn't need to exist. Just like we don't need instance dungeons, or more pve in general.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:17 PM by Amp_Phetamine
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:15 PM
SaintRon wrote:

No one is going to quit if it's not added, some might if it is. Frankly a lot of us are getting sick of all the rapid change.

Neither of those two statements are accurate Jhaerik, they're just your opinions. Just like in my opinion I see nothing wrong with introducing race respec's.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:19 PM by jhaerik
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:17 PM
jhaerik wrote:
SaintRon wrote:

No one is going to quit if it's not added, some might if it is. Frankly a lot of us are getting sick of all the rapid change.

Neither of those two statements are accurate Jhaerik, they're just your opinions. Just like in my opinion I see nothing wrong with introducing race respec's.

EVERYTHING is an opinion. Welcome to being human. First day?

Literally anything you have ever said in your life has been an opinion. Why? Because someone out there somewhere disagrees with you.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:23 PM by Amp_Phetamine
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:19 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
jhaerik wrote:

Literally anything you have ever said in your life has been an opinion. Why? Because someone out there somewhere disagrees with you.

That's not even remotely true...
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:24 PM by jhaerik
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:23 PM
jhaerik wrote:
Amp_Phetamine wrote:

That's your opinion.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:25 PM by Amp_Phetamine
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:24 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
jhaerik wrote:

That's your opinion.

That's a fact.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:35 PM by jhaerik
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:25 PM
jhaerik wrote:
Amp_Phetamine wrote:

That's your opinion.

That's a fact.

Nope an opinion.

Nothing is fact. Everything is just an opinion waiting to be disproven.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:44 PM by Amp_Phetamine
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:35 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
jhaerik wrote:
That's your opinion.

That's a fact.

Nope an opinion.

But isn't it a fact that everything is an opinion?
Tue 2 Apr 2019 5:29 PM by phixion
jhaerik wrote:
No one is going to quit if it's not added, some might if it is.

You don't see a possible situation where somebody regrets a race choice and has no time or inclination to reroll so would rather just stop playing than start all over again?
Tue 2 Apr 2019 5:34 PM by Riac
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 4:44 PM
jhaerik wrote:
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
That's a fact.

Nope an opinion.

Pls dont insult other players. Thank you. Greetings, Uthred.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 5:45 PM by SaintRon
Riac wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 5:34 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
jhaerik wrote:
Nope an opinion.

I just really get annoyed by adults who resort to "do what I want or I'll leave!"
Tue 2 Apr 2019 6:06 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Riac wrote:
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
jhaerik wrote:
Nope an opinion.

Oh look, my fan boy showed up. Actually, since you referred to my name, the suffix -Phetamine is in reference to the organic compound. You're the one that associated it with a drug (revealing much?). You do a lot of assuming, it isn't working well for you.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:57 PM by jhaerik
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 6:06 PM
Riac wrote:
Amp_Phetamine wrote:

Oh look, my fan boy showed up. Actually, since you referred to my name, the suffix -Phetamine is in reference to the organic compound. You're the one that associated it with a drug (revealing much?). You do a lot of assuming, it isn't working well for you.

Oh please everyone here, including the GM's know's it's an obvious drug reference. As to why you are being given special treatment... who knows. Probably enough brown-nosing.
Tue 2 Apr 2019 10:35 PM by cuuchulain79
Classic daoc with some QoL tweaks sounded like a smash hit for this old game.

I'll use an adventure movie metaphor...

Uthgard 2.0 was like Dances With Wolves...great movie...a bit slow for some.

Phoenix Beta was like the first Pirates movie...brilliant, moves quick, easy to enjoy.

These changes since launch are adding up to skipping the enjoyable sequels, and move right to the custom version where Captain Jack fights a zombie warlord on top of the statue of liberty. Tagline: "You can't believe what's coming next!"
Tue 2 Apr 2019 10:43 PM by florin
I’m fully in favor of this custom qol
Tue 2 Apr 2019 11:15 PM by Ebenezer
jhaerik wrote:

For many of us, we came for "no ToA", with all that entails. FoPs, 10% bonuses to damage/swingspeed/castspeed, grapple, bodyguard, power siphon, etc.
The rest of the changes made over the last two decades would be just fine. Yes, even vamps and heretics.
Wed 3 Apr 2019 1:06 PM by Amp_Phetamine
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:57 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Riac wrote:

Oh please everyone here, including the GM's know's it's an obvious drug reference. As to why you are being given special treatment... who knows. Probably enough brown-nosing.

That's your opinion . There is no special treatment being given, least of all to me. If you're referring to why the post may have been modded that is the Dev's enforcement of the CoC for the forums.

Back to the point of this thread.. there is nothing wrong with implementing a race respec option.
Wed 3 Apr 2019 1:20 PM by Leandrys
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Wed 3 Apr 2019 1:06 PM
Back to the point of this thread.. there is nothing wrong with implementing a race respec option.

For you. But other people are in right to think this is a bad addition to the server, QoL is allready huge here, honnestly race respec feels a bit weirdo to me, i'm not totally against this addition, but i think it really should be rare and expensive respec.
Wed 3 Apr 2019 1:23 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Leandrys wrote:
Wed 3 Apr 2019 1:20 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:

For you. But other people are in right to think this is a bad addition to the server, QoL is allready huge here, honnestly race respec feels a bit weirdo to me, i'm not totally against this addition, but i think it really should be rare and expensive respec.

I'm not against that either. It would be bizarre having players alter their race every weekend.

Of course I understand the issues players have with race respecs to begin with and it's not like re-rolling the toon to the correct race is much of a time sink either (48-51hrs gameplay 1-50 solo essentially).
Wed 3 Apr 2019 1:50 PM by jhaerik
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
jhaerik wrote:
Tue 2 Apr 2019 7:57 PM
Amp_Phetamine wrote:

That's your opinion . There is no special treatment being given, least of all to me. If you're referring to why the post may have been modded that is the Dev's enforcement of the CoC for the forums.

Sure there is.

It's time I rather see spent on fixing guards that are bugged into walls. Lords that fall through floors. Necro's PBAoEing through doors. Giving BP a purpose other than dolly dress up. Fixing Jord DCs. Looking at stealther balance. Or hell just focusing on RvR to begin with.

Where are they going with this anyway? They adding Cata classes next? Champ levels? Adding in Labby? Hell why not just put in ToA maps and swiming underwater too. I don't like the RvR task system. I don't like the rando XP bonuses that force you to level only on certain mob types reducing the game to 6 mob camps... I don't much care for the feathers or the silly expensive reliance on charges/pots that require large amounts of gold/feather sinkage. Hell man It feels like I log in... everyone is busy doing some random prereq to RvR... get bored, log out.

Stock SI had a lot going for it that many of these changes are rather killing. Increasing the quality of gear in the end just make it easy enough for EVERYONE to max stat temp that enough end up doing so that EVERYONE has to go through the extra grind to temp. Real SI was more like pick up a few decent pieces and SC up with a few resist holes.. and get going.

I don't want more time sinks, I want better RVR. Instead we get NS clearing Friars, Bards with Harps, and new RA's... but no charge for melee. So you end up with huge time sinks farming rogs/feather... and nothing but caster groups running. GO figure.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics