Guild Merit Point System

Started 20 Jun 2018
by Hector
in Suggestions
Hello. Please excuse this post if you've addressed this elsewhere as I've not been able to find it on the forums.

My suggestion today is regarding the Guild Merit Buff system implemented by Mythic. I think this system would be very beneficial on this server, as it promotes getting characters into real guilds and builds the community. When a character gains a level, achieves a new crafting tier (ie, 500), or gains a new realm rank (ie, rr6l0), guild merit points are added to the guild merit bank system (which is displayed on /gc info along with RPs and BPs) provided that character is guilded at the time of the achievement. Guildmasters are able to turn on some small but noticeable bonuses to all guildmates using the /gc buff <bonus> command. This command deducts merit points the same way owning a keep takes bounty points. I propose making those /gc buff <bonus>: (please note that per Mythic's system, only one can be turned on at a time and the /gc buff lasts for 24 hours. Changing the /gc buff <bonus> cost 1000 merit points at the time of the command and then 1,000 merit points per day thereafter).

-2% XP buff [command: /gc buff xp]
-10% craft speed buff [command: /gc buff craftspeed]
-5% RP bonus [command: /gc buff rp]
-10% coin loot bonus [command: /gc buff coin]

I think this is a nice system for the following reasons:
-incentivizes all players to get into guilds so that they can contribute to the merit pool
-incentivizes all players to get into guilds so that they can reap the benefits of said merit point buff
-fosters a sense of community because after all, you feel like you are integral part of this game when you have guildmates to routinely play with. It would encourage players to stop being antisocial and start forming deep roots in the guilds/community.
-justifies the guild tax for many larger guilds who tax at a 20% rate (at least now you get something tangible out of it -- on Uthgard many players forego joining guilds early on in a server because they dont want to pay the guild tax since they are newly starting out)
-creates and builds excitement for guild achievements
-adds a system of reciprocity for established guildmates to indirectly help lowbies and new guildies
-is not a crazy suggestion and does NOT detract from the "classic" environment

Thanks for listening.
Wed 20 Jun 2018 6:59 PM by Vivien
As Uthred already told you in a PM - we haven't decided yet, but we have an active internal staff vote open now and will let you know asap!
Thu 21 Jun 2018 3:36 AM by Isavyr
Hector wrote:
Wed 20 Jun 2018 5:42 PM
I think this is a nice system for the following reasons:
-incentivizes all players to get into guilds so that they can contribute to the merit pool
-incentivizes all players to get into guilds so that they can reap the benefits of said merit point buff
-fosters a sense of community because after all, you feel like you are integral part of this game when you have guildmates to routinely play with. It would encourage players to stop being antisocial and start forming deep roots in the guilds/community.
-justifies the guild tax for many larger guilds who tax at a 20% rate (at least now you get something tangible out of it -- on Uthgard many players forego joining guilds early on in a server because they dont want to pay the guild tax since they are newly starting out)
-adds a system of reciprocity for established guildmates to indirectly help lowbies and new guildies
-is not a crazy suggestion and does NOT detract from the "classic" environment

I am not necessarily opposed to this idea, but I think the above reasoning is rather weak. For example, RvR already heavily incentivizes guilding, as nearly all relic raids depend upon alliances, which are composed of guilds. In addition, regular 8-mans are guilded as a rule. In fact, this game heavily incentivizes guilding because of crafting discounts, PvE raid organization, boosting chars, and as mentioned, RvR organization.

Meanwhile, being solo, or anti-social, has no benefits, and consequently you nearly never see anyone unguilded in this game.

Generally a design must address a specific problem. In this case, I can't find the logic to support any given problem. People are already guilded, so if the community is a problem, it clearly isn't because of lack of guilds. Furthermore, the guild tax already justifies expensive crafting, and the discounts people expect from their guild.

If there is anything to be taken away from the above list, it's this:

Whether that's worth the work isn't my decision, but I don't see the reasoning as being particularly strong. However, as you mention, it isn't a very large change, so I'm not opposed to it either.
Thu 21 Jun 2018 12:48 PM by gruenesschaf
We had the merit points and the buffs in since before the alpha started and even changed it so that all buffs can be active at the same time. We just never officially discussed it internally / voted on it. This suggestion here just prompted the official internal vote.

The exact numbers are different form this suggestion however and will be announced once the vote is over.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics