The Solution to Grey Killing

Started 30 Mar 2020
by Hector
in Suggestions
Overview of the problem:
-Grey killing will happen even if there is no incentive for the killer
-XP groups want to XP in the frontier zone despite this risk because of xp bonus and great camps

The solution:
-Design a scenario where grey killing is more "risky" and may lead to more RvR without altering the current mechanic
-Whenever a grey kill occurs, list the location in the killspam. For example:

"Hector was just killed by Greykiller in Mount Collory at location 58000 18000"

How does this improve gameplay?
1. Makes grey killers more wary of killing greys even though they already get no reward
2. Might lead to small mans or other soloers being able to track down the grey killer better, thus promoting RvR
3. Gives lowbie groups a sense of security when XPing in frontier zone
4. Does not alter anything meaningful whatsoever therefore being a non controversial change
Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:55 PM by Isavyr
I suspect it will have the opposite effect of dis-incentivizing killing grays because it's the only mechanic in the game that would allow you to broadcast your position to the other realms. If this mechanic were available otherwise, than killing grays would be extra trouble. But now? It just might be worth killing grays just to advertise your position ("come fight me".

I also didn't know killing grays was still an issue. It's much better here because there's no reward for the kill--it would be worse if there were a reward.
Mon 30 Mar 2020 11:51 PM by Riac
i dont kill greys now, unless they are in a spot that i want to setup shop. however, if i could use it to broadcast my location and then sit in wait. ima kill those greys.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:24 AM by Hector
Anybody who kills greys does not want good players to come find them, lol
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:40 AM by Riac
Hector wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:24 AM

bold statement lol, and i assuere you. im not scared of any of the prominent soloers and welcome the fights. there are a couple that i generally dont beat, but im not scared to fight them and i would kill a grey to coax them out for a fight. that seems way easier than hunting and arbitrarily running into them.
idk why everyone gets all butthurt over that shit.... youre in the fucking frontiers lol. that being said, i dont really do it unless im extremely board or they are near my camp spot, because you can bet your ass they will sprint over to leech on that shit.
your plan just isnt a good one and provides incentives for ppl to act in a way that antithetical to the goal you are trying to achieve. much like keep trading tasks lol.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 7:01 AM by hefrocko2
If we're going to go through so much trouble to protect greys, let's just remove the frontier exp bonus. If there's no threat to dying, there should be no reward... In all seriousness though, it should stay as is. In fact, people should get kill credit for killing greys. If they're going to get rewarded with so much more exp, might as well reward the person who drags their sorry self down there to hunt them.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:17 PM by bigne88
Riac wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:40 AM
Hector wrote:

bold statement lol, and i assuere you. im not scared of any of the prominent soloers and welcome the fights. there are a couple that i generally dont beat, but im not scared to fight them and i would kill a grey to coax them out for a fight. that seems way easier than hunting and arbitrarily running into them.
idk why everyone gets all butthurt over that shit.... youre in the fucking frontiers lol. that being said, i dont really do it unless im extremely board or they are near my camp spot, because you can bet your ass they will sprint over to leech on that shit.
your plan just isnt a good one and provides incentives for ppl to act in a way that antithetical to the goal you are trying to achieve. much like keep trading tasks lol.

Im looking forward to zerg you with my 8 men.
Class and name please? Ill emote you a /rude
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:09 PM by Expfighter
I will admit that I kill greys when they are playing certain classes, like BD's, Animitards, etc...
I have let a lot of greys and grey groups go and just /waved at them, then some idiot in the grey group will root me or attack me, then well they all have to die for that action.

and I don't mind if someone comes out to attack me after I kill someone, bring em on!

but I do NOT stay in one place after I kill ANYONE, I roam non stop
Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:39 PM by Neso
Hector wrote:
Mon 30 Mar 2020 8:03 PM

There isn't an incentive??
...or even a problem?
The main reason I'd assume people grey kill is because they know they'll spam chats asking for help, therefore providing some potential fights.

If anything, having a killspam feed for greykilling, would probably make it worse.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 5:10 PM by Skreen32
Hector wrote:
Mon 30 Mar 2020 8:03 PM
Overview of the problem:
-XP groups want to XP in the frontier zone despite this risk because of xp bonus and great camps

The solution:
-Design a scenario where grey killing is more "risky" and may lead to more RvR without altering the current mechanic
-Whenever a grey kill occurs, list the location in the killspam. For example:

"Hector was just killed by Greykiller in Mount Collory at location 58000 18000"

How does this improve gameplay?
1. Makes grey killers more wary of killing greys even though they already get no reward
2. Might lead to small mans or other soloers being able to track down the grey killer better, thus promoting RvR
3. Gives lowbie groups a sense of security when XPing in frontier zone
4. Does not alter anything meaningful whatsoever therefore being a non controversial change

This post is stupid.

Here's a solution:

If you don't want to be killed when you are grey to a lvl 50. Then LEVEL UP TO 50.
Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:20 PM by Riac
bigne88 wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:17 PM
Riac wrote:
Hector wrote:

as if you wouldnt zerg me with you 8 man anyways. miss me with that bullshit lol.
i could be helping this group lvl in some way and i bet your 8 man would break stick to run over and kill me as a solo.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:26 AM by bigne88
Riac wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:20 PM
bigne88 wrote:
Riac wrote:

as if you wouldnt zerg me with you 8 man anyways. miss me with that bullshit lol.
i could be helping this group lvl in some way and i bet your 8 man would break stick to run over and kill me as a solo.

I always destick to kill a stealther. I even have stealth detect pots in inventory bindend on 1, 2 and 3.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:59 AM by Riac
bigne88 wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:26 AM
Riac wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:20 PM
bigne88 wrote:

I always destick to kill a stealther. I even have stealth detect pots in inventory bindend on 1, 2 and 3.

so it wouldnt matter if i was killing greys or not then.... good talk.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:11 AM by Ambron
Can you guys keep ur private chats private please?

OnTopic:
You get an Exp-bonus for leveling in Frontier because you might get killed. Why do people not understand that?
If GMs take out any benefit of killing greys, they will take out the exp bonus as well.

And i have to agree the comment on "just level up to 50". It is really fast on this server to get to 50. You do not have to struggle much with being ganked as a grey one.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:14 AM by gotwqqd
I’d still like to see the con gray moved from 35 to 40+
Maybe 42 or 43

There are some enemies that would regard those xping as simple kills and leave them alone

Of course no rp would be rewarded for those gray con
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:21 AM by Expfighter
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 3:14 AM
Maybe 42 or 43

There are some enemies that would regard those xping as simple kills and leave them alone

When phoenix first went live this was the case!
Wed 1 Apr 2020 7:36 AM by Wolfir666
gotwqqd wrote:
Maybe 42 or 43

On the contrary side that also would affect the RvR-tasks that are very nice to do with lvl 35++ and not just with 40-42+.
So better keep it like it is, as some RPs/RAs are nice to have in the leveling process.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 7:44 AM by Centenario
I think the main reason people kill low-level players is to get the titles (lone-enforcer/assassin, bane of ### )
Wed 1 Apr 2020 8:05 AM by inoeth
Centenario wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 7:44 AM
I think the main reason people kill low-level players is to get the titles (lone-enforcer/assassin, bane of ### )

those titles should only count for lvl 50 kills imo
Wed 1 Apr 2020 1:47 PM by yepyukon
Maybe change the deathspam to "XXX was killed in YYY by the coward ZZZ" anytime a grey is killed? I know it isn't feasible, but would be funny.
Wed 1 Apr 2020 6:08 PM by gotwqqd
Wolfir666 wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 7:36 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
Maybe 42 or 43

On the contrary side that also would affect the RvR-tasks that are very nice to do with lvl 35++ and not just with 40-42+.
So better keep it like it is, as some RPs/RAs are nice to have in the leveling process.
They don’t need be inclusive
You can keep rvr task credit for lower level
Fri 3 Apr 2020 6:50 AM by Idra
As a greykiller i will told you some tips !
-Killing grey don't give rps but count for rvr participation !
-Killing greys taunt the lvl 50 avengers for nice fight in empty zones, avoiding zerg area like beno/bled/crau and EV

Greykill is the deals for your xp bonus in frontier,soil/branch/snow drops,DF bonuses,seals,and task for frontiers mobs.

Free solution to avoid greykillers : STAY HOME ! Go xp on classic or SI and don't QQ for custom changes.
Fri 3 Apr 2020 11:15 AM by kiectred
inoeth wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 8:05 AM
Centenario wrote:

Agreed to an extent, maybe something like they must be within 2 levels of your own level or something. I wonder if it would be difficult to implement (not that it'll ever happen).

If this had been the case from the beginning, there might be max a dozen players on the whole server with that title. Stealthers would cry but that's about it.
Sat 4 Apr 2020 11:07 AM by Wolfir666
kiectred wrote:
Fri 3 Apr 2020 11:15 AM
inoeth wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 8:05 AM
Centenario wrote:

If this had been the case from the beginning, there might be max a dozen players on the whole server with that title. Stealthers would cry but that's about it.

Probably true, but seriously, as its known (and i also took it as common knowledge so far) that these titles also work for grey kills, they are worth *nothing* at all anyways. Whoever runs around with such a title right now thinking it would mean something might be surprised.
Sat 4 Apr 2020 11:34 AM by Freedomcall
People say they talk about 'grey killing' and then complain about their 35+ chars killed.
What is this?

In my case, I never understood my grpmates rage quitting after being killed at under 35.
I always said, "we lost nothing and they earned nothing. we can just go back to the spot." but some ppl were qqing and logging out.
Maybe they were too sweaty, and felt as if they were punched by someone in rl lol
I also don't enjoy being farmed if I ever give rps to them, but grey killing never upsets me.
Sun 5 Apr 2020 5:13 PM by Wolfir666
Freedomcall wrote:
Sat 4 Apr 2020 11:34 AM
I never understood my grpmates rage quitting after being killed at under 35.
I always said, "we lost nothing and they earned nothing. we can just go back to the spot." but some ppl were qqing and logging out.

Seriously, i think most of the time it is just used as an excuse to leave the group and do something else (or search for another group).
Just like people waiting for the first to say he is going to log off and bam, half the group logs at the same time
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics