Pets in keeps / towers

Started 17 Oct 2019
by Joffel
in Suggestions
Pretty much everybody is abusing the fact that pets can be send trough closed doors into keeps/towers and healed without LOS. Today me, an eld and a nightshade weren´t able to kill a simulacurum at a siege weapon because nobody was able to attack it at all while the pet was slowly destroying the trebuchet. Later i tried to defend a tower with 5 people and was constantly attacked inside by pets which were healed non-stop. Don´t know if you are working on it, couldn´t find relating threads in the forum. Something has to be done about this.
Thu 17 Oct 2019 1:50 PM by Horus
Sadly I think this is working as designed. Quite annoying though.
Thu 17 Oct 2019 2:03 PM by romulus
Hi!
Pets running through doors and healing without LOS is as designed.
Being unable to attack a pet (or a mob) that is standing right in front of you is not as designed.
I have seen this same behavior when kiting guards away from a keep, before engaging with my pet (cabalist). Sometimes (not always), my pet is able to attack just fine, but I am unable to cast on the guard because it "Isn't visible". I wish I had a screenshot to share, but it sounds awfully similar to what you experienced with the pet attacking your trebuchet.
The only advice I can give is to screen-cap it next time it happens and submit a bug. I'm not sure how much of the problem is client and how much is server, but if more the latter, hopefully, it can be fixed.
Thu 17 Oct 2019 3:49 PM by Joffel
Thx for the Info, didn´t know that this is working as intended. Quite absurd.

@ Romulus - Yes, it´s the same problem you ve had. Pet "wasn´t visible" no matter how we tried to kill it. Gonna follow your advice and screen-cap next time that happens.
Thu 17 Oct 2019 5:10 PM by kiectred
I think "working as intended" is a bit inaccurate in the case of pets going through doors. More accurately, I think it's basically unfixable due to some very fundamental aspects of the game physics. Not a game developer or anything, my own wording might be inaccurate, but it seems to me like something which would require a pretty major overhaul rather than a quick fix or even a moderately difficult fix.

Maybe I'm nitpicking but basically, I don't think it's something the devs are ignoring.
Thu 17 Oct 2019 5:19 PM by romulus
Hi!
I agree right up until the last statement. This behavior is how it has always worked and how it still works on Live, so I don't think the devs care to even try to fix it here. It is just how it's always been. Hence I do think it is being ignored.

[Edit] Perhaps it's my turn to be imprecise with language - I don't think the team doesn't want to fix this, but as you say there are some significant barriers to fixing it and so their time is better spent on other things. I'm (imprecisely) calling this ignoring.
Thu 17 Oct 2019 6:51 PM by gotwqqd
romulus wrote:
Thu 17 Oct 2019 5:19 PM
Hi!
I agree right up until the last statement. This behavior is how it has always worked and how it still works on Live, so I don't think the devs care to even try to fix it here. It is just how it's always been. Hence I do think it is being ignored.

[Edit] Perhaps it's my turn to be imprecise with language - I don't think the team doesn't want to fix this, but as you say there are some significant barriers to fixing it and so their time is better spent on other things. I'm (imprecisely) calling this ignoring.

The healing can be fixed
Thu 17 Oct 2019 8:17 PM by Boltman
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 17 Oct 2019 6:51 PM
romulus wrote:
Thu 17 Oct 2019 5:19 PM
Hi!

The healing can be fixed

But group heals have never required line-of-sight and has always healed pets so how do you propose to "Fix-It" ?
Thu 17 Oct 2019 10:06 PM by kiectred
Yea unfortunately the healing absolutely can't be fixed either.

And you're right, when I say they aren't ignoring it, it's more for the people who complain, get no results, and feel ignored. They're well aware of what happens, just can't do anything really.
Fri 18 Oct 2019 1:01 AM by gruenesschaf
NPCs, including pets, going through doors is for now still intended. It was the original behavior for OF. The part that's blocking it is that we still don't support terrain / world changes that affect the navigation mesh that's used for npc path finding as this nav mesh is statically generated upfront. This pathing issue is also the reason why we have tower razing / wall destruction disabled as it too would lead to unexpected npc behavior (aka hole in wall but pets / guards would path through the maybe closed door miles away instead of walking a step or two through the hole).
Line of sight already supports dynamic changes (e. g. doors opening / closing).

As for the pet healing without line of sight, I don't remember if / when it was tested but I'd be kinda surprised if it wasn't or if the test result do not match the current setting (pet heal / buffs not having a los check), if someone wants to test on pend and can show that those spells should have a los check we would add it. Group heals aren't supposed to be affected by los though.
Fri 18 Oct 2019 2:42 AM by Freedomcall
gruenesschaf wrote:
Fri 18 Oct 2019 1:01 AM
As for the pet healing without line of sight, I don't remember if / when it was tested but I'd be kinda surprised if it wasn't or if the test result do not match the current setting (pet heal / buffs not having a los check), if someone wants to test on pend and can show that those spells should have a los check we would add it. Group heals aren't supposed to be affected by los though.

Yeah I just thought pets were being healed by grp heals, but not sure either.
Fri 18 Oct 2019 11:10 PM by easytoremember
You should note the keep/tower and the siege component(s) this occurs with and post them to tracker. The lack of LOS on pets htting the treb is an issue with that treb's placement
Sat 19 Oct 2019 2:22 AM by Voso
Could we please address the pets running through keep/tower doors? Low population so you can't run around dodging the FGs all night. If you want to challenge the zerg in a keep they spam you constantly with pets. Why is this acceptable?
Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:38 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Voso wrote:
Sat 19 Oct 2019 2:22 AM
Could we please address the pets running through keep/tower doors? Low population so you can't run around dodging the FGs all night. If you want to challenge the zerg in a keep they spam you constantly with pets. Why is this acceptable?

Can you please read the explanation for why it is the way it is before complaining about something that can't be changed?
Sat 9 Nov 2019 12:51 AM by Voso
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:38 PM
Voso wrote:
Sat 19 Oct 2019 2:22 AM

Can you please read the explanation for why it is the way it is before complaining about something that can't be changed?

I read all the previous posts so maybe I need to quote the one I believe you're referencing?

NPCs, including pets, going through doors is for now still intended. It was the original behavior for OF. The part that's blocking it is that we still don't support terrain / world changes that affect the navigation mesh that's used for npc path finding as this nav mesh is statically generated upfront. This pathing issue is also the reason why we have tower razing / wall destruction disabled as it too would lead to unexpected npc behavior (aka hole in wall but pets / guards would path through the maybe closed door miles away instead of walking a step or two through the hole).

OK? This was the original behavior of OF, but we are now in NF. They have disabled terrain/world changes aka tower razing and wall destruction. I find that very interesting because both these items worked on live for many years. The devs are too busy working on QOL changes that harm PVE and RVR instead of squashing bugs so they disable features and state that pets pathing through doors is legit. We all have our own opinions. Game patches/updates would never happen if posts weren't written on the forum. Don't assume someone is complaining when they're stating facts.
Sat 9 Nov 2019 11:52 AM by gruenesschaf
Voso wrote:
Sat 9 Nov 2019 12:51 AM
I read all the previous posts so maybe I need to quote the one I believe you're referencing?

OK? This was the original behavior of OF, but we are now in NF. They have disabled terrain/world changes aka tower razing and wall destruction. I find that very interesting because both these items worked on live for many years. The devs are too busy working on QOL changes that harm PVE and RVR instead of squashing bugs so they disable features and state that pets pathing through doors is legit. We all have our own opinions. Game patches/updates would never happen if posts weren't written on the forum. Don't assume someone is complaining when they're stating facts.

You may have read it but apparently not understood it if you're claiming we deliberately disabled that feature to have the OF pet behavior.

Pathing is something that happens server side, just because it works on live (I guess pathing working on live is debatable in many cases and at least from the looks of it it got a lot worse over time, anyways, while ours is most certainly not perfect in any way there are fewer wtf moments) doesn't mean it's working on a freeshard which is a complete reimplementation of the server side of the game.

Pathfinding in general is a very performance and / or memory intensive operation, when the server is at about 50% cpu utilization around 20% is spent on path finding, the server itself without line of sight handling would take around 10GB of ram, with line of sight it's 25 and pathing itself is another 15GB. We're using a modified version of https://github.com/recastnavigation/recastnavigation living in a separate process, the way it works is that the individual zones (like emain, og) have been exported in a format that recast can itself transform into its own format, that's around 10GB, this then results in the static navigation mesh we use for the game.

The problem is now that things like tower razing / wall destruction or even door destruction require changes to this static navigation mesh, however, the naive / simple variant of just precalculating all possible states is not feasible as there are about 100 states possible for most NF keeps and there can be multiple keeps in a single zone and storing every single possibility for a given zone would hence be multiple terabyte just for that. It's also not really feasible to recalculate that on the fly as processing a single zone takes about a minute or two.
So the obvious alternative, which is also supported by recast, would to use tiles for the keeps and just replace those tiles, however, that's actually rather complicated and takes time, ideally spent in bigger chunks unlike most qol changes or bug fixes that usually at most require a couple hours at a time.

To put it in simpler terms:
The world is exported upfront and used as is, there is currently no way to change this export while the server is running, being able to change parts of it while the server is running is planned but will take time. Only and all of what is contained in this export affects the movement of npcs. Since we do at some point need npcs to walk through doors (when they are destroyed) they are just not inside this export. Since we do at some point not want npcs walk through wall parts that can be destroyed these walls are inside the export.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics