Molvik instead of Cathal

Started 13 Jul 2019
by Glimmer01
in Suggestions
After playing a large amount of this free shard... I believe there needs to be something between Thidranki and 50 RvR. I believe that option to be NF level 35-39 Molvik instead of Cathal. Cathal routinely has no one in the battlegrounds and was never as popular on live servers as Molvik.

I hope that this suggestion gets some traction because some of the best times I've had in this game were in the battlegrounds of Molvik.
Sat 13 Jul 2019 4:20 PM by eunrun
Yep, Molvik please!
Sat 13 Jul 2019 4:36 PM by Enyore
Good idea
Sat 13 Jul 2019 4:51 PM by Wakanidoo
I agree with Molvik !

On the live i have played a lot in Leirvik too.
Sat 13 Jul 2019 5:12 PM by flashed101
This! THIS! Molvik has a fantastic layout for RVR andNO TELEPORTING. It lends itself perfectly to people interested in open RVR such as you might more regularly find in OF (also no MG's). It would be a great stopping point for people who dont like NF and have no interest in 50 because of it. Molvik was also very popular on all live servers/clusters and I believe would bring a lot of people into and back to the server for consistent action there.

The 35-39 player range and a higher Realm Rank cap like we have in (currently dead all the time) Cathal would allow for good character development through RA's and also allow for things like instamezz/stun etc, thus changing the RVR dynamics quite a bit from Thidranki level gameplay. I believe Molvik would be huge for the server.
Sat 13 Jul 2019 6:27 PM by borodino1812
This sounds like a good idea.
Sat 13 Jul 2019 8:35 PM by Gweinyth
No one is going to play in the 35-39 BG. It doesn't matter which map you use. Just like no one plays in a bg after thid. It seems like once people are rp out of Thid they make the rush to 50 and it has nothing to do with the maps.
Sat 13 Jul 2019 10:55 PM by Glimmer01
Gweinyth wrote:
Sat 13 Jul 2019 8:35 PM
No one is going to play in the 35-39 BG. It doesn't matter which map you use. Just like no one plays in a bg after thid. It seems like once people are rp out of Thid they make the rush to 50 and it has nothing to do with the maps.

I think that if there was a better option than Cathal then there would be a reason to stop before you get to 50. Molvik has historically been the stopping spot between thid and 50 RvR.
Sun 14 Jul 2019 1:30 PM by Shamissa
Molvik please!!! No one cares for CV or even Caledonia that i have seen. So if Devs have to shut one down in order to open Molvik , CV or Caledonia wont matter since no one goes there no more. and please let people have /rp off and xp off just like in live!!!
Would be awesome!!!

Thank you!!!
Mon 22 Jul 2019 10:00 PM by Iqupl
I will tell you what the solution is and why. Many people will oppose this, because generally players go with what is, not what could be, not what is best for all.

DAoC began beta testing with interested players in 2001, so we have had 18y of player experience to investigate for answers to the major problems in the original design. Some of the correct fixes have been implemented in live, but some of the remains of early MMO management efforts have stymied very good solutions to common complaints. The disinterest in battlegrounds is one problem regularly complained about that has not applied 18y of lessons learned from the MMORPG genre.

Problem #1: Bg character growth value is low are nonexistent at specific level ranges. The value of a bg is in available rps, skill practice, and early player bonding. This is not possible without regular participation by, at least two realms, and some with high rr characters respective of the rr range for the bg.
Solution: World of Warcraft proved that players love bgs, and that bg maxed characters were not the worst thing that could happen. In fact, with the rr system in DAoC, bgs provide better growth potential when relatively high rr characters remain in the bg. Battlegrounds should not be every five levels, but every ten or fifteen, with or without exclusion. For instance, WoW has a bg every ten levels with a ten level range. This makes each bg more valuable due to scarcity. I think the over abundance of bgs in original DAoC worked in tandem with the push to get players into lvl 50 RvR to instill the idea in devs and players that bgs were unnecessary, a nuissance, or of limited value. These premises need to end, because 18y has proved the ideas wrong. The opposite is true. Creating a gating system that forced participation would be best, but that would not go over well with the player base with expectation of power leveling to 50. Therefore, the solution must be to better encourage participation using a better layout. Scarcity by implementing Thidranki 24-29 (or 20-29), Molvik 34-39 (or 30-39), Cathal Valley 44-49 (or 40-49). Realm point leveraging by allowing /rpoff to maintain high rr characters in each rr range bg with rr limits that ramp to 5L0 in a way that advantages characters appropriately for the level: Thidranki cap 1L5, Molvik cap 3L0, Cathal Valley cap 4L5. Also, it would be possible to limit /rpoff to xL5 below the bg cap if a player majority wanted.

Problem #2: Bg realm value is missing.
Solution: Add the three recommended bg keeps to the realm domination list for access to DF. This adds more than interest to who own the ck in each bg. This affects the mentality of the entire player base toward new characters, and the broader life in the game. Where are the squires? Where are the followers? Where are the ambitious young hopefuls? How is the importance of each level of play reflected in a game that puts 100% of prioritization on participation in 50 RvR? Roleplay players would appreciate some love by making battlegrounds matter. Also, guild leaders will learn to appreciate the leverage and player bonding made possible by making battlegrounds great ... for the first time ever in DAoC.

Problem #3: Bg issues treated as a nuissance.
Solution: This goes hand in hand with bgs having realm value (importance). Why, after 18y, is it still possible to arch into Thidranki apk and mpk when the solution is to move one guard onto the hill? Why wait to punish a player for doing something that the game allows, and not all servers care about? That is one example of how bgs are not properly considered. There are things that can be done for QoL in bgs.

This last one will be the most resisted by players, because it departs from the as-is expectations long ago set as a way to make 50 RvR inclusion a priority.

Problem #4: Ridiculous desperate attempts to push characters into the 50 RvR zone. Like, seriously? The biggest complaint about not using OF was loss of power leveling spots. However, is it not ridiculous that characters below 40 are even there? I would accept that characters as low as 30 could fatefully participate with a smidgeon of useful effect, but lower than that there should be no incentive.
Solution: Set a level restriction to the 50 RvR zone. For instance, porting to frontier would be accessible at level x. I suggest 30. Change the mobs in the portal areas to ones useful for xp for characters of that minimum level. Maybe 30-35. Mobs in the 50 RvR areas could remain the same.
Sun 28 Jul 2019 1:34 PM by Shamissa
Molvik man.....no one cares about all that other stuff just to have fun. 35-39 xp, rp/off , templated toons only for that bg. Caledonia and Cathal valley been empty for months now. Just make Molvik like in daoc live central ck, tower for each realm and you will see how that place will be populated. Not everyone wanna be in big boy rvr all the time.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics