Re: New to Phoenix? Questions?

Breidr wrote:
Sat 12 Jan 2019 12:48 PM
Didn't see a new player section, so I felt this would be the best place to ask. I am new to DAoC in general, as well as pheonix, since it just launched. :p

I've settled on Midgard as a realm and I'm still unsure what class to play. I've tried watching some videos, but a lot of it escapes me since I'm unfamiliar with the game.

My main goal is to just take in the game. I'm very eager to try an older mmo. I hoped it would be a slower experience for me. Modern games just have too much going on. I want to breathe. I want to go explore new things. Not sit in a queue and then play "game mechanic simulator" for 30 minutes.

The two main classes that have piqued my interest are warrior and thane. Since RvR seems to be the end goal, how would these classes stack up for someone that has no idea what's going on? How would any of the classes stack up, really. I'm just going on what looks cool, I know nothing.

I'm just hoping to go on an adventure, make some friends, and not be useless.

Unfortunately the new game mentality has seeped into daoc as well. Has been for awhile. It's pretty much what ruined live and you will find some of it here too. Having the meta classes for PvE and RvR is the norm and you will be hard pressed to get a group if you arent one. Luckily for you, Mid is a melee heavy realm both in PvE and RvR so most tank and light tank classes do very well there.

Basically warriors are the one of the hardiest classes in the game. They also have the highest damage table for melee. That means single hit wise they do more damage per swing (that doesnt mean they can dish out the most melee dmg) than any other class in the game. Thanes are a hybrid. They got a little boost here on Phoenix though I cant say how well they do for PvE and RvR. Thanes are basically a light tank with ranged nuking ability. Great for interrupting casters and it gives them some playability during ranged fights.

Breidr wrote:
Sat 12 Jan 2019 12:48 PM
Didn't see a new player section, so I felt this would be the best place to ask. I am new to DAoC in general, as well as pheonix, since it just launched. :p

I've settled on Midgard as a realm and I'm still unsure what class to play. I've tried watching some videos, but a lot of it escapes me since I'm unfamiliar with the game.

My main goal is to just take in the game. I'm very eager to try an older mmo. I hoped it would be a slower experience for me. Modern games just have too much going on. I want to breathe. I want to go explore new things. Not sit in a queue and then play "game mechanic simulator" for 30 minutes.

The two main classes that have piqued my interest are warrior and thane. Since RvR seems to be the end goal, how would these classes stack up for someone that has no idea what's going on? How would any of the classes stack up, really. I'm just going on what looks cool, I know nothing.

I'm just hoping to go on an adventure, make some friends, and not be useless.

Warriors are limited on melee-abilities, which may be less overwhelming for a new player.
Thanes can everything Warriors can but at no point as good as warriors (due to stat / skill / realm-ability distribution).

Theoretically both classes are viable for PvM / RvR / 8v8.
Group PvM: Both classes are viable in typical PvM settings (melee- / bomb-grp).
Solo PvM: Thanes are easier to play due to their cast-abilities and self-buff.

RvR: In zerg fights, thanes can stay on range doing damage and protect their group members as soon as an enemy comes close.
In order to cause damage, warriors need to get close by the enemy, ready to move back at any time. In this scenario, thanes may be easier to play.
In keep-defending situations the warriors lack of range-abilities forces him to wait.

8v8: Group vs Group / 8v8 is where many players try to optimize the group setup as much as possible.
In this case many elitists may focus on the warrior due to getting stoicism (reduced crowd control duration).
As far as I read in this forum thanes are viable for 8v8, especially against caster-groups, but at the end many players may prefer a warrior.

Beside thanes in elitist 8v8, both classes are fun to play on their own way and at no point "useless".

Have fun.

Having just recently joined, I found this very helpful. Many thanks.
The old days
Drake, Mercenary, Percival

The present
Skjollgrimmr, Hunter
Magnai, Thane
Ragnavaldr, Skald

Kaeless, Champion
Connlaire, Valewalker
Fainne, Nightshade

Maelys, Armsman
Grayald, Infiltrator

It runs on mac using wine-4.0 too
you could update the main thread adding this info (required mono + quartz, but it's all written on the wine download page)
btw 4.0 is the stable version
P.S. add a symbolic link to your wine, something like:

sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine

or

sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine

I'm curious what is the best way to make money here? I'm in the middle of working on a template and I want a really nice one which is expensive.

So what is the best way to make money fast. I have yet to buy a house dunno if any are available.
Albion Merlin 2001 - 2003 | Kensik Merc Svperstar Cleric Lothlorian Scout
Uthgard 1.0 Svperstar 7L8 Inf & 1,000 alts
Former GM - Sanguine (RIP)

Svperstar wrote:
Tue 19 Nov 2019 4:06 PM
I'm curious what is the best way to make money here? I'm in the middle of working on a template and I want a really nice one which is expensive.

So what is the best way to make money fast. I have yet to buy a house dunno if any are available.

At this time? Farming for collection items and selling them.
Who knows if that will stay the status quo.
Soon some will simply be unable to buy.

I have a few questions about this server that hopefully someone can answer.

1) Is auto leveling still a thing, or do characters get all the spec points they would as if they did auto level regardless of spec?

2) Mastery of stealth level is based on spec level or total level with bonuses?

3) Are 2h Shadowblades viable? Did they receive a damage increase to Perf for using a 2h weapon?

Any advice regarding some of the updates and overall stealther game for this server?

Thank you!!

sonsofhorus wrote:
Mon 9 Dec 2019 4:17 PM
I have a few questions

1. I think you're referring to auto training, as far as I remember , points are automatically applied when you spec in that line.
2. MoS is based on Stealth level and not composite.
3. 2h SBs are non existent as the difference in damage is very little.

Advice : don't roll a SB. Go with NS or Infi, later if you're bored and into BDSM, you can make a SB.

Nunki wrote:
Mon 4 Feb 2019 11:21 AM
Warriors are limited on melee-abilities, which may be less overwhelming for a new player.
Thanes can everything Warriors can but at no point as good as warriors (due to stat / skill / realm-ability distribution).

Theoretically both classes are viable for PvM / RvR / 8v8.
Group PvM: Both classes are viable in typical PvM settings (melee- / bomb-grp).
Solo PvM: Thanes are easier to play due to their cast-abilities and self-buff.

RvR: In zerg fights, thanes can stay on range doing damage and protect their group members as soon as an enemy comes close.
In order to cause damage, warriors need to get close by the enemy, ready to move back at any time. In this scenario, thanes may be easier to play.
In keep-defending situations the warriors lack of range-abilities forces him to wait.

8v8: Group vs Group / 8v8 is where many players try to optimize the group setup as much as possible.
In this case many elitists may focus on the warrior due to getting stoicism (reduced crowd control duration).
As far as I read in this forum thanes are viable for 8v8, especially against caster-groups, but at the end many players may prefer a warrior.

Beside thanes in elitist 8v8, both classes are fun to play on their own way and at no point "useless".

Have fun.

I have found that a well played Thane is excellent in PvP.. particularly in zerg environments and keep sieges. Their casting abilities allow them to damage and even kill at range when there is a lot of activity around and usually not get nailed for it as long as they are behind the main lines. They would struggle one on one PvP more often though. But PvP is not balanced around 1v1 anyway so.. no big deal in my view.

Warriors are hard to kill and have great staying power and the best melee damage table in Midguard. But unlike a Thane who can go ungrouped in many environments.. a Warrior needs a group to really thrive

Hi guys,
I'm trying to launch the game but it seems blocked at like 90% on the loading screen. I've downloaded the game from the official website and put the phoenix thingy in the same folder, it worked i created a new account but the game seems like it's freezing during loading, i've tried with US and EU servers.

It says
"v 1.126b Loading
Hit escape to exit the game"

And so far i've seen TOA and laby's backgrounds, idk if it's normal ?

Any idea why i'm stuck ? Help would be much appreciated thx !

Cheers !