Re: The Sky Is Really Falling This Time

Couldn't play as much, could play really big events, lots of afk kids, but most of all, thank you for your work and make me feel 20 years younger while playing, even if my reflexes took 20 years too

And hope to see you all soon on Atlas.

I came back from a week of vacation to this sad news. For the little I am able to play between my job and taking care of my 3 kids, word of Phoenix closing has absolutely gutted me. This was the server I always came back to when I had time, and I recently was really enjoying the hours I was getting to share with others in the frontiers. I have immense respect for Reix, Smap, and Wicheals, and others like them, who took leadership roles in Hib BGs to make the nights I had a couple of hours to spend in game all the more fun. Some of the BG vs. BG fights I have experienced on Phoenix are among my favorite moments playing DAoC. I was initially one of the players who left after NF was implemented, but I came back months later and learned that I really enjoyed, and ultimately preferred, the NF maps. Go figure.

To the entire Phoenix team, thank you for all that you have done. You brought countless hours of escape to me and I will really miss the experience of being a small part of this server and this community. I hope to hear more about Phoenix 2.0 in the near future.

Revian / Revid / Barrin

Been trying to detox from gaming this summer, sad to hear, this is the best server. My biggest criticism of DAOC is they never remastered it. One thing it has over WoW is the three realm dynamic. I always thought that added a lot of complexity to RvR that I haven't seen in an mmo since. I think a DAOC2 would be really popular. Personally, the retro graphics do not bother me, but to kids that didn't grow up with it, it looks unplayable.

On a side note, I have an embarrassingly high amount of phoenix feathers in my vault, was saving them for some fresh alts... thanks for the fun!!

Have not played for more than 1 year.
But none the less, thanks a lot for all the great/hard work, for a time you filled up my nostalgia-bar almost to the max

Damn hard work to juggle; balance, interest, and what people expect from DaoC, at the same time. You had success and failures, but at no point did I think I, or anyone else, could have done better as a whole.

People tend to forget that DaoC 1.65 was balanced, but only in that small fraction of time it was Live, because it took time for people "exploit" the weaknesses every patch had in terms of balance.
And people forget that what we think is best, is best only in our worldview, it's very doubtful it's actually best for anyone else.

Sarkon wrote:
Mon 2 Aug 2021 2:02 AM
Been trying to detox from gaming this summer, sad to hear, this is the best server. My biggest criticism of DAOC is they never remastered it. One thing it has over WoW is the three realm dynamic. I always thought that added a lot of complexity to RvR that I haven't seen in an mmo since. I think a DAOC2 would be really popular. Personally, the retro graphics do not bother me, but to kids that didn't grow up with it, it looks unplayable.

There is a tiny slither of hope for Camelot Unchained to actually ve somewhat of a DAoC 2, but I wouldn't count on it.

This decision makes me sad. I just came back in to check out the server again only to find out it is shutting down. The last thing I remember is that while the server was declining it still had some action. I actually thought that the phoenix server would stick around, I am sad to see you guys close your doors.

I don't know what people remember about why uthgard died but what I remember is that uthgard still had an active declining community when phoenix launched a lot like the phoenix community was about a year ago. But when phoenix launched it drew away any hopes uthgard had for a healthy population. So I can't help but feel like phoenix killed uthgard.

So now that this server is dead too then now where do we go?

I don't think this is just about the phoenix brand, I think it is also about the dwindling daoc community. The phoenix server rounded up the last remnants of the daoc playerbase and now the server is just going to shut down? Well that hardly seems like a fair commitment to the playerbase. Besides what else could possibly be in the future for the phoenix brand? A camelot unchained freeshard?

Well I hope you guys are right about atlas and I hope it develops a healthy population.

But as the saying goes... One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

-Pwnpigeon RR7 sorc

I have been checking out the mmo scene lately and it is unbelievable how millions of people are playing these new trash mmos. Where is the RvR combat? Its all flagging and 10v10 instance battles and guild v guild matchups but that just doesn't compare to how awesome RvR can be. Why does every mmo have a global cooldown timer and reuse timers on every ability so you have to have "rotations" instead of just having a DD spell or positional styles??? It is unbelievable how mmos have not improved at all in the last 10 years. I am still waiting for a game that does RvR better than DAoC, hell DAoC group pve was even better than most of these other trash mmos, but for now I think daoc was the best mmo ever made.

I am sad to see this server go, this just feels like the death of daoc.

You all see it too pessimistically. Read Gruenesschaf's post again carefully and read between the lines.

Here's a bit of hopium.

"Phoenix" was Origins 2 (same team, more or less). Origins 1 also closed its doors after a few years, after player numbers dropped. They came back after a break with Phoenix and the improvements compared to Origins were MASSIVE. The way I see it, that's the mentality of this team: leave with dignity when the time has come (Uthgard, take note), reorient, improve, fix bugs, build back better. I'm sure many of the big changes were seen as not beneficial in retrospect; however, these can't be rolled back without losing more players with each patch. Therefore, a hard reset makes the most sense at this point.

Origins was Part 1 of the story.
Phoenix was Part 2 of the story.
Part 3 will come, and it will be a jump in quality like between Part 1 and Part 2.
I will make sure to shill in other games in chat for the new server, as I have done consistently for the launch of Phoenix in Black Desert Online by buying megaphones with my Pearls and loyalty points.

DAoC's time is not over now any more than it was over 5 or 10 years ago.

Instead of crying here in the thread, start thinking of name suggestions for Part 3. Both "Origins" and "Phoenix" (after the death of Origins) made sense.
The name for Part 3 has to make sense too.
Ressurection? Ascension? Revelation?

Cheers.
Padoru Padoruuuu - Minstrel

Arthuria Pendragon - Cleric

Return to “Tavern”