AHK Macro and Delay to hold a key down

Started 13 Jul 2020
by Wolfson
in Support Center
My searching of the forums it is still not clear if this is allowed.

I want to combine the jump key with other commands, However I find that just sending the command does not work, even if just the command is sent. The jump key needs some delay of being held pressed for the jump action to actually occur.

So my proposed solution is to take advantage of some of the inherent delay in AHK. So my example

; Face and Jump

Hot_Key::
send { Jump_Key down}
send Face_Key
send {Jump_Key up}
return

This basically start of with pressing the jump key, then hold it down while next hitting the face key and then releases the jump key. Is this legal even though it uses some delay in the AHK sequence?

Thanks
Tue 14 Jul 2020 5:40 AM by daytonchambers
From the main website rules:

5. Macroing
It is allowed to bind multiple actions to a key, however, delays, repeats, and conditions are strictly forbidden as well as any other means that allow unattended game-play

1st offense: Deletion of all characters and 2-weeks ban
2nd offense: permaban of Player
Tue 14 Jul 2020 2:17 PM by Wolfson
Ya, not helpful. I have read the rules. I want clarification because the delay is not to separate out actions or key presses but to just make the input long enough for it to actually register in game. Like I said I could bind no other action to the hot key other than jump, it still needs a delay for it to register and take effect. So what I am asking is there a separation in rules between no delay between events, and no delay in how long a button is held especially when it is just a matter of getting the command to register in game. I would argue that my case is not for unintended game play and thus should be legal, but seeing as how the first offense is a deletion of all characters I want to make sure.
Tue 14 Jul 2020 2:28 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Wolfson wrote:
Tue 14 Jul 2020 2:17 PM
Ya, not helpful. I have read the rules.

It's a delay. It's against the rules.

They don't have shades of grey here, it's black and white, and if they decide you've even edged into the black a little, you're banned.
Tue 14 Jul 2020 3:22 PM by Uthred
... however, delays, repeats, and conditions are strictly forbidden.
Tue 14 Jul 2020 4:08 PM by Wolfson
But it literally does not register the input if there isn't a delay. Again, I could do send jump key all by itself and it does not register unless I break it up into two send commands. What if I do it sequential? Send {Jump_key down}{Jump_key up}? This seems to work when I tested it.
Tue 14 Jul 2020 11:13 PM by gotwqqd
Doesn’t sound like a delay to me

It’s simply a macro simulating a key being held down
Wed 15 Jul 2020 9:00 AM by Sepplord
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 14 Jul 2020 2:28 PM
They don't have shades of grey here, it's black and white, and if they decide you've even edged into the black a little, you're banned.

The problem is, this section of the rules IS very grey and sadly no black and white issue.
All Macro-tools have inherent delays, it is imposible to use a macro without it having a built-in delay.
Signals cannot be sent at the same time, everything in the computer is done one after another.

OP has no additional delay in his macro, so imo it should not lead to a ban, but it still has built in delays, just like every macro anyone on the server is using has.
Official statements on the forum regarding this issue are always very vague or simply requote the rule, instead of giving a clear yes/no answer if something is allowed, but i heard they give a direct answer in discord, so maybe trying that to be sure would be a good idea.
I understand why they do it, because they don't want to get into long and tedious negotiations/discussions for every macro every person creates, but i personally decided not to use AHK at all, because it definitely is not a clear black and white issue.
Thu 16 Jul 2020 12:15 AM by gruenesschaf
The intent of the rule is to not allow any kind of automated gameplay, if you press a button it should execute the action right away and complete the action right away.
Thu 16 Jul 2020 6:27 AM by gotwqqd
gruenesschaf wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020 12:15 AM
The intent of the rule is to not allow any kind of automated gameplay, if you press a button it should execute the action right away and complete the action right away.
But if there is ingame mechanics that result in actions when a key is held down it is part of game. And creating a macro that presses a key down should not be considered automation with delay or loop
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Support Center or the latest topics