Does an "8man" exist on this server that doesn't zerg solos?

Started 8 Mar 2021
by Tenny
in RvR
I've been playing PHX for years now and I think I remember only one instance where a grp of 8 players let me or my 1v1 go. On live back in the day, some of these groups had a shred of shame. I mean, I know on live there were the groups that mainly 8v8ed and generally didn't hit solos/jam 1v1s, and then there were the zerg "8mans" that generally avoided the former groups and would hit everything and dog zergs all day. Is Phoenix just the latter bunch? Are respectable 8mans dead?
Mon 8 Mar 2021 10:04 PM by borodino1812
Tenny wrote:
Mon 8 Mar 2021 9:10 PM
I've been playing PHX for years now and I think I remember only one instance where a grp of 8 players let me or my 1v1 go. On live back in the day, some of these groups had a shred of shame. I mean, I know on live there were the groups that mainly 8v8ed and generally didn't hit solos/jam 1v1s, and then there were the zerg "8mans" that generally avoided the former groups and would hit everything and dog zergs all day. Is Phoenix just the latter bunch? Are respectable 8mans dead?

I don't think I've ever experienced to be let go as a solo player here. To be honest, I do not expect it either.
Tue 9 Mar 2021 12:08 AM by Ele
When I'm doing the driving, I usually tell the group to ignore soloers / ongoing 1vs1 fights and smallman groups. Results vary, depending on overall rvr situation, performance/frustration and possible infamy of players (like Barcodes...). Another factor is if trigger-happy supps getting in range for dd-charge+smiting before I can announce to stay sticked, although they are usually content to /tag. Most of the regular EU PT /gvg groups handle it in a similar way, whilst most pugs etc. roaming task zones/hubs will try to kill everything on sight though.
Tue 9 Mar 2021 2:12 AM by gotwqqd
borodino1812 wrote:
Mon 8 Mar 2021 10:04 PM
Tenny wrote:
Mon 8 Mar 2021 9:10 PM

I don't think I've ever experienced to be let go as a solo player here. To be honest, I do not expect it either.
I think I’ve been ignored maybe half a dozen times....but I believe it was because I was xping....and sub 50, not because solo
Tue 9 Mar 2021 7:57 AM by msitruk
When i drive i add and kill all ... this is the war ...no mercy.
Even in stupid solo zone visible or not.
Tue 9 Mar 2021 9:52 AM by Tashkent
Is 8v8 a thing on this server?
Tue 9 Mar 2021 10:50 AM by Nunki
Tashkent wrote:
Tue 9 Mar 2021 9:52 AM
Yes, there are quite some 8v8 groups and some /commands to encourage 8x8.

Beside that, many if not most 8x8 groups shred anything on sight but flame you for hours if you add on their precious 8x8 fight.
Tue 9 Mar 2021 3:33 PM by l00ri
Running over Solos/Smallman the whole day and /yell + pull out even if the smallest amount of people add their 8vs8, because of Fairplay.
Tue 9 Mar 2021 5:01 PM by protege
With close to 10k solo kills across my account, the answer is no.
Wed 10 Mar 2021 2:40 PM by joshisanonymous
I've been /tagged once ever and been allowed to live once or twice by Kurbsen's group. I'm not nearly as far up the solo kill ladder as Beavercleaver, but with some 1300 solo kills on visi no-speed classes, I don't think you should hold your breath for 8mans to stop killing you.

That said, there's no reason they shouldn't kill you. It's an RvR game after all, not an arena. However, if they're gonna kill you, they should not complain when you add their fights.
Wed 10 Mar 2021 3:22 PM by DJ2000
imho, the solo class also matters.
Haven't seen/heard anyone that was positive about letting a minstrel alive, most, if not all, are rather negative about it with a couple neutral ones. Regardless of the Realm.
Same happened with Skalds or BDs (haven't seen Bds solo outside of Mid FZ in a long while tbh) or Bards (almost never solo), occasional Champs/BMs/VWs/Reavers etc.;

Also, all the casters in my grp(s), that died at a dock or xp-spot at any given time in the past, pursue and hunt every Stealther they can get a hold of.

Even when i hit the /tag command, too many people get triggered by simply seeing any of the above.

There is no white list unfortunately.
In fact, everyone has his own "KoS" list that get heavier for the those classes that are still left in the current state of the Server. Speed6- and/or Stealth-Classes.

And just for the record. "Visi-solo" that hang around bridges/docks are not the ones that i am talking about. i don't care about those.
Wed 10 Mar 2021 4:04 PM by evert
DJ2000 wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021 3:22 PM
imho, the solo class also matters.

Exactly, I mostly solo but when I group I ask some people to be left, but some people refuse to leave a stealther even if they are the nicest one
Wed 10 Mar 2021 4:36 PM by Centenario
If we find solos near flags we kill them <= they will retake flag and we will move trying to find a fight and lose time.
If we find solos near boats we kill them <= they prevent our realmmates from moving around the map, that's just not 1v1
If we find solos near boat drops we kill them <= they want to kill easy afk or unbuffed targets that's despicable, they also group up...
If we find solo lurikeens we kill them <= just cause
If we find solos near keep we kill them <= they should fight in solo zones or away from strategic targets.
If we find stealthers we kill them <= cause its rare enough to manage to find one, might aswell taste it
Wed 10 Mar 2021 9:46 PM by Tamy
You could adjust the title of this thread to: Please tell me your best excuses to farm our main source of rps ergo (visi) solos.
Thu 11 Mar 2021 1:04 PM by nono31
Nunki wrote:
Tue 9 Mar 2021 10:50 AM

Beside that, many if not most 8x8 groups shred anything on sight but flame you for hours if you add on their precious 8x8 fight.

Yes so real mate .

And now solos with cheat solo powered class don't want to be zerg or add . ( champion , reavers , and friends ).
Thu 11 Mar 2021 1:19 PM by boridi
l00ri wrote:
Tue 9 Mar 2021 3:33 PM
Running over Solos/Smallman the whole day and /yell + pull out even if the smallest amount of people add their 8vs8, because of Fairplay.

You forgot /yell + pull off if a gray leveler comes within 3000 units of the fight.
Thu 11 Mar 2021 3:26 PM by joshisanonymous
Centenario wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021 4:36 PM
If we find solos near flags we kill them <= they will retake flag and we will move trying to find a fight and lose time.
If we find solos near boats we kill them <= they prevent our realmmates from moving around the map, that's just not 1v1
If we find solos near boat drops we kill them <= they want to kill easy afk or unbuffed targets that's despicable, they also group up...
If we find solo lurikeens we kill them <= just cause
If we find solos near keep we kill them <= they should fight in solo zones or away from strategic targets.
If we find stealthers we kill them <= cause its rare enough to manage to find one, might aswell taste it

Soooo.. what you really mean is you kill all soloers.

Honestly, your decision map here is just saying that soloers should be relegated to the farthest corners of the map so that they don't impact RvR in any way, shape, or form. I mean, I don't care if groups want to kill soloers, but this kind of talk is when it gets real hypocritical. Your 8man or whatever is clearly not finding its own corner of the map for /cleanfights since you're talking about looking for fights in a task zone, but according to you, that's the only place soloers should be allowed?

Red is dead is the simplest way to play: every new player who jumps into RvR is going to assume that's how you choose when to attack as that's literally what the game tells you to do so everyone is on the same page this way. However, if people want to live by their own rules about when to attack, go ahead, just don't get pissy if other people haven't read and absorbed your laundry list of arcane justifications.
Thu 11 Mar 2021 3:30 PM by stewbeedoo
I have had a few 8-mans roll up on my 1v1 fight and let us finish. Once the 8-man didn't even kill me after the fight.

It is part of the game, but I appreciate it when it happens.
Fri 12 Mar 2021 12:48 AM by Marden
Add on whatever you can in RvR. Kill whatever you can in RvR. Put people on ignore if they lose their mind because you followed the first two rules.

That's the DAOC I remember, at least.
Sat 13 Mar 2021 5:19 PM by Thoralf1
The chance to be left alone in a one on one by 8men or Smallmen is as high as the chance to win in lottery .... but it happens.
Mon 15 Mar 2021 1:42 AM by Kurbsen
joshisanonymous wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021 2:40 PM
I've been /tagged once ever and been allowed to live once or twice by Kurbsen's group. I'm not nearly as far up the solo kill ladder as Beavercleaver, but with some 1300 solo kills on visi no-speed classes, I don't think you should hold your breath for 8mans to stop killing you.

That said, there's no reason they shouldn't kill you. It's an RvR game after all, not an arena. However, if they're gonna kill you, they should not complain when you add their fights.
hey thats me. I try my best to let solo's live as much as I can. Sometimes my dps doesnt listen tho. I've solo'd a lot myself and I understand how sucky it is to just get rolled over like that. Glad this has gotten recognized atleast tho. Definitely wont deny that my group has killed a solo before, but there is probably a 90% chance I let a solo visible alone.
Tue 16 Mar 2021 11:01 AM by Highfather17
A mid 8 man didn't add me on a solo fight.

Once.

Nunki wrote:
Tue 9 Mar 2021 10:50 AM
Tashkent wrote:
Tue 9 Mar 2021 9:52 AM

Such bitches.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 5:42 AM by Drunkstains
I get rolled constantly but also there are plenty of 8mans that let me go. One of the bonuses of soloing on a visi is groups recognize you easier. 8mans will let you go more often once you get out there more and show you won't add their fights. Of course not everyone will or even a majority of them, but get out there enough without adding and groups will take notice.

I don't play stealthers but I'm pretty sure it won't apply to them. You can blame the stealth zergers for making everyone hate stealthers 😂
Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:16 AM by Babajaga
Drunkstains wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 5:42 AM
I don't play stealthers but I'm pretty sure it won't apply to them. You can blame the stealth zergers for making everyone hate stealthers 😂

I can confirm that as a solo ranger which is 90% of his time on the "fairfight" list since 4rr and i'm 7,5rr now, it happened twice.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 2:25 PM by keruz
Ele wrote:
Tue 9 Mar 2021 12:08 AM
When I'm doing the driving, I usually tell the group to ignore soloers / ongoing 1vs1 fights and smallman groups. Results vary, depending on overall rvr situation, performance/frustration and possible infamy of players (like Barcodes...). Another factor is if trigger-happy supps getting in range for dd-charge+smiting before I can announce to stay sticked, although they are usually content to /tag. Most of the regular EU PT /gvg groups handle it in a similar way, whilst most pugs etc. roaming task zones/hubs will try to kill everything on sight though.

Interesting is his point and a classic example of political existence in the question of "Anarchists" VS "Legalists". The difference is that if you have a group of 8 players and put rules like: "Do not attack players alone or small groups smaller than 4". And if your group comes across an Anarchist duo, they don't want to follow rules or conduct, they will mezz your group, root, while the others will kill everyone 1 to 1, then you risk your group causing / disban or of them start to become anarchists, attacking anyone who appears. It is interesting how the policy impacts and works under the same regime as the pirate era, where even anarchists had to follow rules and regiments, otherwise, in time it would be the end of that universe and the DAOC is the same, the tendency is for it to exist a fall of new players and the old ones are getting tired / dying and the server dies.
Rules, conduct, healthy policies are necessary to maintain a universe in harmony between people, otherwise, there will only be a small group left that will soon destroy itself and we have the end.
Fri 26 Mar 2021 4:43 PM by Magesty
keruz wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 2:25 PM
Interesting is his point and a classic example of political existence in the question of "Anarchists" VS "Legalists". The difference is that if you have a group of 8 players and put rules like: "Do not attack players alone or small groups smaller than 4". And if your group comes across an Anarchist duo, they don't want to follow rules or conduct, they will mezz your group, root, while the others will kill everyone 1 to 1, then you risk your group causing / disban or of them start to become anarchists, attacking anyone who appears. It is interesting how the policy impacts and works under the same regime as the pirate era, where even anarchists had to follow rules and regiments, otherwise, in time it would be the end of that universe and the DAOC is the same, the tendency is for it to exist a fall of new players and the old ones are getting tired / dying and the server dies.
Rules, conduct, healthy policies are necessary to maintain a universe in harmony between people, otherwise, there will only be a small group left that will soon destroy itself and we have the end.

These types of interactions between players in RvR are inherently anarchical regardless of what people are deciding to do. They cannot ever be truly legalist as there is not and cannot be a governing body dictating rules and controlling players' autonomy when it comes to the behaviors relevant to this conversation. Much like in the concept of a "pirate utopia" any rules of conduct must be horizontally integrated and accepted by all for them to stick. As we can see through posts here even though players are choosing to break the "rules" set forth by their group leaders there is little recourse as the top-down line of control coupled with harsh punishment one would expect from a legalist environment simply doesn't exist.

We have an environment in RvR where there is no possible framework to exert real control over the behaviors being discussed, and unlike in the real-world concept of the "pirate utopia" there isn't a meaningful fear of death, bodily pain, or ostracism coming from breaking the rules.

As a result one of two things is going to happen. The first possibility is that game's population dwindles down to the point where there are still soloers and FGs, but the community is tight knit enough where a horizontally integrated code of ethics could actually become relevant. The early stages of a limited anarchist utopia would begin to take shape.

Or the far more likely option

Soloers are going to continue to be zerged down until the final soloer types /release for the final time and uninstalls; echoing the actions of so many that came before.

There is no question that braindead groups who in some way justify killing soloers/duos/small mans over and over again because they cannot compete with equal numbers are contributing to a slow decline in over all population. The natural state of anarchy we find in the frontiers needs to eventually have self-imposed order, a pirate's code, or else the population will eventually disperse and we will be left with a skeleton crew that will look hauntingly familiar.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics