Something needs to be done with BG rvr

Started 14 Feb 2021
by ShazY
in RvR
Hi,

It's been some week i've realized that way too many people are joining BG's take/retake.

It's np since it's a way of playing the game but seriously? The RP gain is insane while taking 0 risk. People who are trying to smallman are constantly roaming between 8mans and BGs.. which is awful.
Even stealthers are joining BG because they have a higher RP/hour ratio... nonsense.

In my opinion theres a few adjustments that could be taken such as :

- Lower the RP gain just for hitting doors all day long. That's litteraly braindead and shouldn't be rewarded that much.
- Instead of the /tag that nobody uses, punish people that's way more effective. Put a penalty for future kills on groups at least 2x bigger than the group they are actually killing.
- Add something that could avoid 8mans fights to be added (no idea on that one, it's tough)

I think you'll get more people roaming instead of PVEDOORSBOT, the famous 8man/smallman war could be solved, and you'll get a more healthy server.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 1:52 AM by Patron
What the fk ure talking? Bg rvr is not only hitting doors, its fight against other player and the origin kind of daoc.
Its real realm vs realm, and the players who not want to understand themswkf as part of a realm makes group vs group.
And the good ratio is only till rr 6,then it gets harder and harder.

Srsly, to reduce bg rvr on hitting doors is wrong and dumb, lol.
So much inc and fight against other bg, its what daoc is. I love it
Sun 14 Feb 2021 2:15 AM by ExcretusMaximus
They've already said that they will never punish players for playing the game, you need to get over it.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 6:10 AM by Vkejai
ShazY wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 12:37 AM
Hi,

It's been some week i've realized that way too many people are joining BG's take/retake.

It's np since it's a way of playing the game but seriously? The RP gain is insane while taking 0 risk. People who are trying to smallman are constantly roaming between 8mans and BGs.. which is awful.
Even stealthers are joining BG because they have a higher RP/hour ratio... nonsense.

- Lower the RP gain just for hitting doors all day long. That's litteraly braindead and shouldn't be rewarded that much.
- Instead of the /tag that nobody uses, punish people that's way more effective. Put a penalty for future kills on groups at least 2x bigger than the group they are actually killing.
- Add something that could avoid 8mans fights to be added (no idea on that one, it's tough)

I think you'll get more people roaming instead of PVEDOORSBOT, the famous 8man/smallman war could be solved, and you'll get a more healthy server.

Spoken like a true 8 man player.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 7:35 AM by Noashakra
One of the worst post I have seen in a while.
If you don't want to get added on your 8vs8, you can go to an area without traffic, you know that's the point of the gvg list right? Otherwise what's the point to give the group slocations.
It's the classic I want the cake and eat it too.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 9:18 AM by Colivar85
If your goal is a "healthy server" then you're seriously out of touch with reality if you think the way to do that is by messing with the BGs.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:02 AM by Patron
8v8 dont realy want a healthy server. They are childish and egoistic, living in their dogmatic world and get mad when player playing daoc.
They dont want to get killed by zerg or 16er, or more bad, get added, because they pull out of fight and let their realmmates die, but themself kill solos and smallman. This behaviour is so disgusting and have zero to do with "realm versus realm". But in /lfg they wrote rvr but no zerg... They shoul wrote GvG, because they never caring about their realm.

Some 8er think they get it and try to build antizerg group. Very funny, sometimes it works.

I love it when the food comes to me. Good old fooddelivery service.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 11:38 AM by DJ2000
Hi,

It's been more than a year I've realized that way too many people consider their playstyle and opinions more important as others.

It's np since it's a way of playing the game but seriously? The RP gain is insane while taking 0 risk. People who are trying to run solo are constantly farmed by 8mans and smallmans.. which is awful.
Even low RR stealthers are joining BG because they cant be farmed anymore... nonsense.

- Delete RP gain for 8man kills outside of GvG-List all day long. That's litteraly braindead and shouldn't be rewarded that much.
- Instead of the /tag that nobody uses, punish people that's way more effective. Put a penalty for future kills on 8man/groups at least 2x smaller than the group they are actually killing.
- Add something that could avoid 8mans fights to be added (no idea on that one, it's tough) <- lol

I think you'll get more people roaming instead of complaining in the Forums, the famous 8man/smallman war could be solved, and you'll get a more healthy server.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 12:23 PM by ShazY
Noashakra wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 7:35 AM
One of the worst post I have seen in a while.
If you don't want to get added on your 8vs8, you can go to an area without traffic, you know that's the point of the gvg list right? Otherwise what's the point to give the group slocations.
It's the classic I want the cake and eat it too.

I'm not a 8v8 player at all.

I'm almost exclusively a smallmen player or more precisely duo. I've spoken about 8v8 not being added just because of the penalty they could suffer from defeating smallmen. That could be a solution so that everyone could be happy.

Maybe i've been a little too harsh on BG guys. I do it also occasionaly. it can be fun from time to time.
Daoc was built to capture and defend keeps i give you that. But is that really funny? What pride/fun do you take from winning 200v50? That's a real question because i don't get it.
Some XvX are even and in that case those fights are fun, but let's be honest most of the time one bg is bigger and wipe the opponent.
Moroever most of the time spent in those BG are for waiting, gathering people,buff, knock on doors and killing guards.

I have nothing against that but that shouldn't be in my opinion the ultimate endgame goal of daoc. It's not because it was made for it that this is necessary good and the way we should play it.
I find it a lot funnier to fight 2v2 or 5V5.

Those propositions were just here in order to make the keep war a bit less attractive (RP wise) so that people are not only connecting to go Zerg and get 11LX just by doing that, but maybe try some different playstyle.
I don't know if i'm clearly understood but my own opinion is not to kill the whole BG thing, but to remove some incentives about it.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 2:15 PM by Aprox
the real problem are pilz and polemo evading each other. When i was new on the server i spent some evenings in the zergs and pilz evaded the enemy all the time. not a single real fight. good RP, 10k/hour just by raiding keeps and towers. but no fun. every now and then i spent a hour in the zerg bnut its ever the same. pilz goes for keeps and towers where the als are NOT. instead of looking for fights. a pity.

in so far i agree: reduce the RP for keep and tower takes. give the zergs a reason to actually fight each other.

The funny thing: A majority of players enjoy the pvp events. There are no zergs. stop joining the zerg, start running small and 8. when more ppl do it, the hardcore 8man will have less impact. but that wont happen
Sun 14 Feb 2021 6:31 PM by Astaa
Mids should be zerg busting, play their own game. Having played with both Hib and Alb BGs, Alb are probably a bit better organised, but both are hopeless in open field BG fights. The zergs get so spread out it's crazy.
Sun 14 Feb 2021 8:26 PM by gotwqqd
Astaa wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 6:31 PM
Mids should be zerg busting, play their own game. Having played with both Hib and Alb BGs, Alb are probably a bit better organised, but both are hopeless in open field BG fights. The zergs get so spread out it's crazy.
Yup
They leave countless behind or splintering
Someone with an organized group or two could make a field day ......
Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:36 PM by jlxharville
ShazY wrote:
Hi,

I've said it a hundred times, keeps need to be MUCH harder to take - and the defending realm shouldn't be cut off from porting because the enemy takes ONE tower. The enemy should have to cut off ALL THREE or however many towers to cut port.

I don't want to hear the complaints that it would be "too hard" or "impossible", you have 100+ people in a BG, use some coordination. Instead, its a snooze fest. There is zero challenge. A) lead bob army to tower 1, take tower 1 in 10 seconds, port is cut, proceed to walk into undefended boring keep B) cap it, yay, mission accomplished, we are all so cool and savvy. Praise to our magnificent BG leaders for enduring such challenge...
Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:40 PM by Patron
ShazY wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 12:23 PM
I find it a lot funnier to fight 2v2 or 5V5.
So you prefer to play not daoc when you play daoc... okeee

Aprox wrote: the real problem are pilz and polemo evading each other. When i was new on the server i spent some evenings in the zergs and pilz evaded the enemy all the time. not a single real fight. good RP, 10k/hour just by raiding keeps and towers. but no fun.
Not true, defintely not true. Cant spoke for Alb/mid Leaders but Pilz attack / defend burning towers very harsh and massive.
This permanent bashing is sooo senseless.

Start nearly every evening for 2 years a bg and lead them 3 hours a day and you can tear your mouth. But till then, just be thankful for this engagement and be humble.

I not mean Pilzpower only, i mean every BG-Leader which tie a stone to the legs and lead a bg full of (mostly) zombie players.
ShazY wrote: Daoc was built to capture and defend keeps i give you that. But is that really funny?
Hell yeah, its the core of DAoC and absolutly not your business what other players think is funny.

ShazY wrote: but let's be honest most of the time one bg is bigger and wipe the opponent.
Even not true, do you ever play in or get wiped in a zerg hunting group? A whole zerg can get killed or serious thin out by 8 well playing people.
And i often see hibs win against much more albs...

But to tell you about this, is as tell a blind man about colours...

Aprox wrote: reduce the RP for keep and tower takes.
It is right now. Above RR 6 you get 600 RP for a keep... so what do you want exactly, beside telling smack?

---
All this disgusting anti zerg campaign is server damaging.
Frighten away the zergs = damaging this server

And noone should tell others how to play this amazing game.
Mon 15 Feb 2021 9:47 AM by Aprox
Patron wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:40 PM
Aprox wrote: the real problem are pilz and polemo evading each other. When i was new on the server i spent some evenings in the zergs and pilz evaded the enemy all the time. not a single real fight. good RP, 10k/hour just by raiding keeps and towers. but no fun.
Not true, defintely not true. Cant spoke for Alb/mid Leaders but Pilz attack / defend burning towers very harsh and massive.
This permanent bashing is sooo senseless.

Start nearly every evening for 2 years a bg and lead them 3 hours a day and you can tear your mouth. But till then, just be thankful for this engagement and be humble.

I not mean Pilzpower only, i mean every BG-Leader which tie a stone to the legs and lead a bg full of (mostly) zombie players.

And noone should tell others how to play this amazing game.

Why should i be thankful and humble for someone who does nothing for me? I would prefer hibernia without a zerg leader. I am not thankful. i wish pilz would stop leading zergs. same for smap and the others. i would prefer an organisation in much smaller groups. I do not like the zergs on this server. Especially the hib-zerg. and pilz is leading that zerg most of the time. humble? pffftt! For me (my personal opinion, you dont need to agree) the playstyle of the zergs we have on this server is boring as hell and on the same there is only small alternative action during primetime because everyone goes zerging. I wish people would just stop joining the BG, organize in 8-16 slots and start roaming. That would give a lot more fights, action and fun. I play this game for fighting other players. not for taking keeps. i can play age of empire or other offline game for raiding structures. i dont need daoc for that. i need doac for fighting. And i think the fact, that so many players enjoy the pvp-event supports my opinion. there are no zergs. no structures. only endless fighting. Keeps are ment to give some structure to those fights. some goals to fight for. pilz is not fighting for these goals. he is evading the fights to get the structures. i have never heard him say, "hey there are the albs, lets inc them". Its ever "the albs are there, lets go here, we can take this tower bfore they come". Again: That is my experience with daoc and pilz from the past 6 months. yours might differ. feel free to play this game however you want and wish what ever you want. i play the way i want and wish what i want. And i wish there were no zergs in this game.
Mon 15 Feb 2021 2:45 PM by Ele
Aprox wrote:
Mon 15 Feb 2021 9:47 AM
I wish people would just stop joining the BG, organize in 8-16 slots and start roaming. That would give a lot more fights, action and fun. I play this game for fighting other players. not for taking keeps.

Maybe it's different during other prime times, but this is exactly what Midgard RvR mostly looks like during EU pt, roaming the task zones with 1-2fg. Doen't seem to let the realm look to healthy most evenings. xD
Sidenote: I'm more or less an 8man only player due to limited playtime, and I regard the zergs as necessary to keep the server healthy, generally speaking, and specifically for 8man groups, simply because the zergs determine where most of the action is, and that usually leads to concentrating on one realm/zone per evening. This way other zones (usually Alb Maze/EV/Trelle) are opened up for finding fair fights with only a limited risk of being disrupted, which is the prerequisite for the 8man playstyle.
Mon 15 Feb 2021 3:03 PM by Lollie
DJ2000 wrote:
Sun 14 Feb 2021 11:38 AM
- Add something that could avoid 8mans fights to be added (no idea on that one, it's tough) <- lol

They could give soloers radar.
Mon 15 Feb 2021 3:27 PM by joshisanonymous
Aprox wrote:
Mon 15 Feb 2021 9:47 AM
Why should i be thankful and humble for someone who does nothing for me? I would prefer hibernia without a zerg leader. I am not thankful. i wish pilz would stop leading zergs. same for smap and the others. i would prefer an organisation in much smaller groups. I do not like the zergs on this server. Especially the hib-zerg. and pilz is leading that zerg most of the time. humble? pffftt! For me (my personal opinion, you dont need to agree) the playstyle of the zergs we have on this server is boring as hell and on the same there is only small alternative action during primetime because everyone goes zerging. I wish people would just stop joining the BG, organize in 8-16 slots and start roaming. That would give a lot more fights, action and fun. I play this game for fighting other players. not for taking keeps. i can play age of empire or other offline game for raiding structures. i dont need daoc for that. i need doac for fighting. And i think the fact, that so many players enjoy the pvp-event supports my opinion. there are no zergs. no structures. only endless fighting. Keeps are ment to give some structure to those fights. some goals to fight for. pilz is not fighting for these goals. he is evading the fights to get the structures. i have never heard him say, "hey there are the albs, lets inc them". Its ever "the albs are there, lets go here, we can take this tower bfore they come". Again: That is my experience with daoc and pilz from the past 6 months. yours might differ. feel free to play this game however you want and wish what ever you want. i play the way i want and wish what i want. And i wish there were no zergs in this game.

I don't know anything about Pilz, but yeah, you need zergs even if you don't like to zerg yourself. If you want to know what a server looks like that doesn't promote zerg gameplay, just look at Uthgard. Even when it was the only option and still relatively popular, there were maybe 6 8mans that played, and that's almost all there was in the frontiers. It was next to impossible to organize large-scale groups, so the casual players quickly left. That meant that there was no one for PvE, and the frontier maps were very stale. It was just a circle of jerk of those 6 or so 8mans repeatedly killing each other, and they seemed to get bored of that pretty quick themselves. This is one of the reasons that Phoenix has been so much more successful than Uthgard, so yeah, you need BGs and people like Pilz.

It's also a bit bizarre to say that DAoC is just about fighting people and not about capturing territory or that you can get the territory capture experience from Age of Empires. DAoC has always been about realm warfare and territory control. I don't even know where you'd get the idea that it hasn't. And yeah, that includes fighting other players, something you can't do in games like AoE, unless I'm missing something and AoE has suddenly become an MMO where you build a character to partake in capturing territory while fighting other player-controlled characters.
Mon 15 Feb 2021 4:23 PM by Tommylad
This is becoming the Dark Age of Whining. "Wah wah wah,,,.nerf volley, we can't be bothered to go find the archers.....Wah wah wah....neff vanish, not fair wah wah wah,......nerf these nasty people who go round together fighting the Realm War...........wha, wah ,wah..........Solution....All bows are now stringless and can only be used by one armed archers, Vanish is banned and in its place a ball and chain is attached to the player.....If more than two people group up they LOSE Rps for every person they kill.....
Mon 15 Feb 2021 8:11 PM by gotwqqd
Instead of having to go where tower/keep action is players are spoiled by the tasks.
So now they do the easy tasks and complain about lack of enemies.
Tue 16 Feb 2021 7:10 AM by Aprox
joshisanonymous wrote:
Mon 15 Feb 2021 3:27 PM
It's also a bit bizarre to say that DAoC is just about fighting people and not about capturing territory or that you can get the territory capture experience from Age of Empires. DAoC has always been about realm warfare and territory control. I don't even know where you'd get the idea that it hasn't. And yeah, that includes fighting other players, something you can't do in games like AoE, unless I'm missing something and AoE has suddenly become an MMO where you build a character to partake in capturing territory while fighting other player-controlled characters.

For me it is obvious to say DaoC is about fighting other players. Those fights simply are set into an environement of castles and towers. Its like the difference between ffa and capture the flag or zone domination in any fps. It is not really about getting the flag or the zone. It is about implementing strategies and tactics into fights. to give them a larger meaning. ctf without fights is quite boring. same for raiding keeps. it just something the devs give the players to have reasen to fight over. but the main reason to play the game is fighting other players. fighting other players without any larger strategy can become boring aswell. it needs to be in balance. An i think, both, pure 8v8 and the zergs we have currently on this server, are breaking that balance. they are polarizing the playstyles. we are missing a healthy equilibrium of group play and structure based strategies. And the solution i see is dissolving the zergs. getting more ppl into 8man roaming.

People do get access to nice gameplay without the zergs. The pvp event showed that. they just need to dare running in smaller groups. once enough ppl do that, it will be alot of fun. the hardcore players will have less impact on 8man roaming than they have now, cause u will meet much more groups of equal skill.
But in the end it does not matter. We DO have the zergs and they wont go away. I need to live with that and find my niche in this niche-game and wait for ashes of creation or camelot unchained to be released someday. there are no valid alternatives to daoc
Wed 10 Mar 2021 4:26 PM by Dagobernd
Shazy here is Pilzpower and your Post is a slap in my Face and the Face of all BG Leaders.
You have any Idea how hard it is to lead good a BG, even when you Underpop Realm?
When you focus play you cant even drink or eat one second for hours.
Sometimes 2 Seconds decides that 100 people die.
DAOC is Solo, Small Man, 8 Man and Zerg and PVE Raids, Trade and Create Gold Craft and more.
You have to accept all kinds of Game, what you not like dont do these Parts.
But not say to me i do a bad Job. King Artus will come out of his Grave
and give you a Lesson....
I saw 100 Leaders come and go, why? because this Job is so hard, most cant handle it 1 hour. Only me and Polemo (both have same Mailfunction),
survived so long.
And when all Realm have fair Numbers and all 3 Realm BG up, these Fights and Nights are incredible Nice Action!!!!
Greets Pilz
Fri 12 Mar 2021 10:20 PM by Greenangel
There was 209 hibs on crim tonight Pilzpower not sure why you say your the underpopulated realm.
We all know that's midgard.

But we'll done for leading raids and helping keep server going Pilzpower and polemo especially.

No onces perfect everyone is human and mistakes but you guys both rock..

And siege with 209 player hibernia use albions were pooping it.
Sat 13 Mar 2021 12:42 AM by stewbeedoo
Dagobernd wrote:
Wed 10 Mar 2021 4:26 PM
Shazy here is Pilzpower and your Post is a slap in my Face and the Face of all BG Leaders.
You have any Idea how hard it is to lead good a BG, even when you Underpop Realm?
When you focus play you cant even drink or eat one second for hours.
Sometimes 2 Seconds decides that 100 people die.
DAOC is Solo, Small Man, 8 Man and Zerg and PVE Raids, Trade and Create Gold Craft and more.
You have to accept all kinds of Game, what you not like dont do these Parts.
But not say to me i do a bad Job. King Artus will come out of his Grave
and give you a Lesson....
I saw 100 Leaders come and go, why? because this Job is so hard, most cant handle it 1 hour. Only me and Polemo (both have same Mailfunction),
survived so long.
And when all Realm have fair Numbers and all 3 Realm BG up, these Fights and Nights are incredible Nice Action!!!!
Greets Pilz
Nice job Pilz!

I don't run with the BG, but the zerg is essential to maintaining a healthy server population. Not an easy job and I respect you for doing it.
Sat 13 Mar 2021 3:41 AM by Vkejai
It's a pity that flag tasks are still going. Takes the fun out of a 3 realm Bg fight as Mids very rarely have a strong Bg going.
Would like to see how the game would pan out without these flag tasks.
Sat 13 Mar 2021 3:51 AM by Kwall0311
3/12 NA night. All 3 realms had mostly equal sized BG fights for 3 hrs NA prime. Ended up being a great time i think for everyone!
Sat 13 Mar 2021 4:29 PM by Leafus
They evade each other and go for the underpopulated little brother. It’s tactics when they steamroll you with 4:1 numbers. I’ll surf and /stick that Zerg to RR12. The balance on this server is gone. You don’t need anecdotal “I saw even numbers” you just need data. Look at top RP week after week. Behind the scenes devs can look at the data and see total number active characters per week by realm. I read a book once titled: wow that’s a lot of Albs. I read the sequel too: Rally Bled. The third installment of the trilogy: Has Left the Battlegroup.
Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:12 AM by Pingyongyang
I take opposite stance. Underpopulated BGs need even more RPs.

The RP bonus based on total population is fine. There needs to be an additional RP bonus dynamic based on BG vs BG fights where the smaller BG gets a bonus both for keeptakes and fights.

Euro Mids especially need a much bigger incentive to show up. I am talking like 20k RPs an hour until Euro Mid BG population gets healthy, then you can dial it back. Otherwise things are pretty good.
Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:58 PM by Siouxsie
Pingyongyang wrote:
Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:12 AM

The RP bonus based on total population is fine. There needs to be an additional RP bonus dynamic based on BG vs BG fights where the smaller BG gets a bonus both for keeptakes and fights.

Euro Mids especially need a much bigger incentive to show up. I am talking like 20k RPs an hour until Euro Mid BG population gets healthy, then you can dial it back. Otherwise things are pretty good.

Any time Mids try to muster a BG during EU times, they get stomped by RR10+ hib bomb groups or 3 million albs and then they quit the BG.

The server has a huge imbalance problem. Mid is permanently underpopulated during EU times, with Hib being more, and Alb the most.

I wonder why more people play Alb and Hib? Could it be they have fewer nerfs than Midgard ever got? Every Mid class underperforms vs Alb and Hib. There is no Charge ability, and Alb and Hib classes have so much more utility than Mid has.
Thu 18 Mar 2021 6:17 PM by gotwqqd
Siouxsie wrote:
Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:58 PM
Pingyongyang wrote:
Thu 18 Mar 2021 5:12 AM

Any time Mids try to muster a BG during EU times, they get stomped by RR10+ hib bomb groups or 3 million albs and then they quit the BG.

The server has a huge imbalance problem. Mid is permanently underpopulated during EU times, with Hib being more, and Alb the most.

I wonder why more people play Alb and Hib? Could it be they have fewer nerfs than Midgard ever got? Every Mid class underperforms vs Alb and Hib. There is no Charge ability, and Alb and Hib classes have so much more utility than Mid has.
Maybe they won’t log if they see significant rr progress even while getting stomped
Fri 19 Mar 2021 11:17 AM by byron
ShazY wrote:

I agree that reward for fighting doors is too high maybe (especially compared to fighting other players) but I don't agree with the other points. Anyone is free to play as they want. For example if I see that Midgard is all red and green without teleport and without the possibility to play as I enjoy, I simply quit and do other stuffs but I don't force others to play as I would like. Since Daoc is an open field where only education and respect are mandatory, it is impossible to make rules for solos, smallmen, 8men or zerg.
Fri 19 Mar 2021 12:53 PM by joshisanonymous
byron wrote:
Fri 19 Mar 2021 11:17 AM
I agree that reward for fighting doors is too high maybe (especially compared to fighting other players) but I don't agree with the other points. Anyone is free to play as they want. For example if I see that Midgard is all red and green without teleport and without the possibility to play as I enjoy, I simply quit and do other stuffs but I don't force others to play as I would like. Since Daoc is an open field where only education and respect are mandatory, it is impossible to make rules for solos, smallmen, 8men or zerg.

The reward for taking a tower is generally lower than a solo kill. That seems about right to me. I also think people greatly overstate this PvDoor meme, too. Yeah, BGs can take a lot of towers and sometimes even keeps with little to no resistance, but smallman and 8man groups also kill smaller numbers very often, which is just as brainless. On the other hand, towers and keeps are often defended, leading to much more interesting play. Plus there's the whole strategic approach to the map where BGs have to figure out how to control land, sometimes with fewer numbers, which is not brainless play either.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics