Physical Damage Variance vote

Started 10 Oct 2020
by tommccartney
in RvR
The results for Physical Damage Variance were pretty close.
- Original system(a random bonus between 0% and 50%)
- Current system(the average, always 25%)

Just out of curiosity who voted for which and why ?

I personally voted for the original. I like seeing the bigger spike hits, checking logs after a fight to see how hard my toon hit(or not), rather than a constant. If you can get a lucky roll of the dice it can tip a fight in your favour, in a situation where you needed it. Perhaps a 3v1, and 2-3 big hits on a caster were what you needed to get a kill before you die. The system reminds me of one of Mythic Entertainments original games which was named after this very system - ‘Rollmaster Magestorm’. Lucky rolls were always fun to see. However, I understand a draw back to this system would be testing new specs.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 10:07 AM by bigne88
Same, I prefer less sustain for more spike
Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:24 PM by The Skies Asunder
I voted original as well, and for basically the same reasons. I used to love going back through the logs after fights to see who had done what damage with a lucky hit (or unlucky of course). I don't hate the damage being flat, but I don't enjoy it either. Always knowing that my combat log will just say 'You perform Fire Blade Perfectly and hit Middy McMidface for 142 (-35)", provided I know what class they are, just feels a bit boring.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:51 PM by thirian24
So you like knowing you lost a fight b/c of RNG and that skill wasn't a factor. Cool
Sat 10 Oct 2020 6:30 PM by tommccartney
thirian24 wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:51 PM
So you like knowing you lost a fight b/c of RNG and that skill wasn't a factor. Cool

Don’t talk about skill when the rr11 ns in your signature has terrible stats on Herald compared to other NS of similar rr
Sat 10 Oct 2020 6:36 PM by gotwqqd
tommccartney wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 6:30 PM
thirian24 wrote:

Don’t talk about skill when the rr11 ns in your signature has terrible stats on Herald compared to other NS of similar rr
Or when you’re killing someone 7+ rr below you
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:02 PM by easytoremember
thirian24 wrote:
Is being obtuse a skill or is that RNG too?
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:06 PM by thirian24
easytoremember wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:02 PM
thirian24 wrote:
Is being obtuse a skill or is that RNG too?

Whichever you prefer.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:18 PM by The Skies Asunder
thirian24 wrote:

As if this removes all skill from the game somehow? If my opponent gets 6 evades, and I get 1 that is also RNG, and has nothing to do with this change. Same with weapon/armor procs. The amount of RNG effecting your fights is much higher in other ways than this minor change.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:24 PM by thirian24
The Skies Asunder wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:18 PM
thirian24 wrote:

As if this removes all skill from the game somehow? If my opponent gets 6 evades, and I get 1 that is also RNG, and has nothing to do with this change. Same with weapon/armor procs. The amount of RNG effecting your fights is much higher in other ways than this minor change.

But why continue down the multiple RNG path?

Just to go back and look through you logs for some rare higher hit?
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:33 PM by The Skies Asunder
thirian24 wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:24 PM
The Skies Asunder wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:18 PM
thirian24 wrote:

But why continue down the multiple RNG path?

Just to go back and look through you logs for some rare higher hit?

I just think it adds some drama to solo/smaller fights at times, without making a massive difference in overall performance. Like I said, I don't hate the flat bonus, it just isn't ever exciting. Occasionally a fight you would normally win you might lose to some lucky rolls, and that will feel bad, but when you win a fight that you usually would have lost it feels great. Not that those things can't happen already of course with the other RNGs mentioned. I see your point though, and I wouldn't vote for for more RNG to be implemented past slight damage variance.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:46 PM by Noashakra
this RNG also helps low rank players to have a better chance vs high ranks. Less frustration for new players.
It's just cool to check the log to see the biggest damage you have done.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:12 PM by darkstar00
The only thing the flat bonus has done is make MOP worthless. I'm impartial to the change and like stated above is only 1 component to RNG in a match. Would add purge up vs purge down as well... fight a lot with purge down... almost always guarantees a loss unless opponent sucks.
Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:46 PM by Gildar
Noashakra wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 7:46 PM
this RNG also helps low rank players to have a better chance vs high ranks. Less frustration for new players.
It's just cool to check the log to see the biggest damage you have done.

This !
Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:58 PM by LolaEbola
thirian24 wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 6:53 PM
tommccartney wrote:
thirian24 wrote:

No where in my statement did I say I was more skilled than someone else. Reading must be hard for you.

But I have no shame in my game, which is why I'm able to display the characters I play, unlike you cunts.

Tom and gotqq like to take jabs at people while remaining anonymous, your lives must be rather pathetic.

Are you trying to say that your original statement up there about skill vs rng *wasn’t* a jab?

I really wish we could stop insulting eachother on these forums and honestly grow up a bit and just talk about the game.
Sun 11 Oct 2020 12:56 AM by thirian24
LolaEbola wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:58 PM
thirian24 wrote:
tommccartney wrote:
thirian24 wrote:

No where in my statement did I say I was more skilled than someone else. Reading must be hard for you.

But I have no shame in my game, which is why I'm able to display the characters I play, unlike you cunts.

Tom and gotqq like to take jabs at people while remaining anonymous, your lives must be rather pathetic.

Are you trying to say that your original statement up there about skill vs rng *wasn’t* a jab?

I really wish we could stop insulting eachother on these forums and honestly grow up a bit and just talk about the game.

No it wasn't a jab. Maybe everyone shouldn't be so fucking sensitive, and then they wouldn't take every statement or question as such.

How is asking someone why theyd prefer RNG to determine the outcome of their fights, a jab? Lol

Example - Prior to the changes, if I lost a fight, it was usually b/c I got out played with some RNG involved. I can respect that.
Now - If I lose a fight.. well who knows honestly b/c there is even more RNG involved. But hey.. at least we can look through our logs for that neato higher hit.
Sun 11 Oct 2020 4:41 AM by LolaEbola
thirian24 wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 12:56 AM
LolaEbola wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020 11:58 PM
thirian24 wrote:
tommccartney wrote:
thirian24 wrote:

No it wasn't a jab. Maybe everyone shouldn't be so fucking sensitive, and then they wouldn't take every statement or question as such.

How is asking someone why theyd prefer RNG to determine the outcome of their fights, a jab? Lol

Example - Prior to the changes, if I lost a fight, it was usually b/c I got out played with some RNG involved. I can respect that.
Now - If I lose a fight.. well who knows honestly b/c there is even more RNG involved. But hey.. at least we can look through our logs for that neato higher hit.

Okay, it’s just that... your general tone, both then and now, both come across as someone who’s trying to be a bit mocking/insulting.

But, I’ll choose to believe you on your intentions.
Sun 11 Oct 2020 4:50 AM by thirian24
People that are easily offended, will look to be offended in anything that is said.
Sun 11 Oct 2020 6:48 AM by tommccartney
thirian24 wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 4:50 AM
People that are easily offended, will look to be offended in anything that is said.

Says you Mr.crappyheraldstats

Keep earning that task rp and keep tagging enemies bro
Sun 11 Oct 2020 1:41 PM by Taniquetil
tommccartney wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 6:48 AM
thirian24 wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 4:50 AM

Says you Mr.crappyheraldstats

Keep earning that task rp and keep tagging enemies bro

I'ma just go out and say that Hwwaat gives me tough fights and is a decent player. Given I saw him a lot duelling much higher RR's and taking his licks, I'd say he doesnt really care about stats either. You could always have a few duels with each other and settle it the old fashioned way and end with a bit of respect at the end.

P.s. my stats are better than yours.

On Topic: over a fight you'll probably see the variance level out enough to be able to ignore it, I'm assuming they put some RNG protection in place too to mitigate you swinging for 150% dmg for 7 or 8 swings in a row and absolutely facerolling someone or any other freak streaks. Spikes are fun every now and again but neither approach should really change the outcome of fights too much except for maybe in very fringe occasions, but given all the other RNG I dont think it'll change fights THAT much except for one or two which might be fun to remember, if you can look back at those and smile fondly, then hey, that's probably part of the fun and mystery of the game.
Sun 11 Oct 2020 3:16 PM by tommccartney
Tani, on topic I 100% agree with you. I voted yes for variance as I thought it might be a fun dynamic to add back to the game, maybe in a sticky situation it could help some what, or just for the fun of it to see how hard I could whack a caster etc. But either way I’m not too bothered, and if it got reverted it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Off topic Hwaatt is obnoxious, sarcastic twat, and cries at anyone who doesn’t play the game the way he thinks it should be played. Look at this first initial post on this discussion. He instantly turned it sour. Lost count the amount this kid cries on forums
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics