First time player to DoAC. Looking to play Melee

Started 23 Jul 2020
by Deadpool
in RvR
I've played a lot of caster classes in the past and I'm leaning towards trying a Melee. I'm sure it's not the most noob friendly choice. I don't mind dying a lot to learn a class. I'm pretty good at that anyhow I know the stealthers are kinda out because of the amount of gear and fineness they require to be effective. I was curious on how the Savage class fairs in RvR. Is it similar to the rogue type classes where it require good gear to be effective? Ultimately I'd like to play a class that can do decent solo and be able to contribute to a group when I'm lucky enough to get into one.q
Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:10 AM by Khrin
DAOC is a bit "before they learnt things about mmos" so as melee you can expect a lot of standing around watching other people do things and your role in rvr is generally snaring/slowing enemies so people with actual damage (eg casters) can finish them off. On the plus side you don't have to worry about microscopic mana pools or be rebuffing people 24/7 so you can at least enjoy the view
Thu 23 Jul 2020 11:22 AM by gotwqqd
Solo?
Better have speed or stealth
Or have thick skin
Thu 23 Jul 2020 11:40 AM by Noashakra
Savage is the worst tank to solo with. His buffs take life away, so you start already with 1/3 1/2 life less.
If you want to solo and group, you could go to hero/bm/merc/armsman/warrior
Champion Thane Paladin are hard to group for 8vs8 but good in 1vs1 (especially the 2 first)
Zerk is kind of bad for your playstyle because with group RAs you will do nothing in solo and vice versa.
Fri 24 Jul 2020 1:05 AM by Deadpool
Khrin wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:10 AM
DAOC is a bit "before they learnt things about mmos" so as melee you can expect a lot of standing around watching other people do things and your role in rvr is generally snaring/slowing enemies so people with actual damage (eg casters) can finish them off. On the plus side you don't have to worry about microscopic mana pools or be rebuffing people 24/7 so you can at least enjoy the view

If that's the case what would you guys recommend caster wise? Necromancer seems like a good PVE class but being completely reliant on your pet as the description suggest. I can't imagine that would fair well in RvR.
Fri 24 Jul 2020 5:52 AM by Khrin
Necros and animists are centered around pve and keep-combat: in open rvr they're both a bit lacking.
Wiz - Easy to level and has been given so many buffs on pheo they have everything: aoe dots, bolts, nearsight, gtaoe.
Theurg - Nice long range and support spells but not really a dualist.
Sorc - CC powerhouse, can securely pet anything yellow-con or can be specced for roots and ubernukes instead.
Cab - AoEs to ruin all the sorcs good work, has summomable pets that are reasonable. Access to strong debuff nukes. Also has nearsight because why would albion only have it on one class.

Any caster will near enough get lol-1-shot'ed by stealthers running around anyway: but that's the gist for albion.
Fri 24 Jul 2020 6:07 AM by Deadpool
Khrin wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 5:52 AM
Necros and animists are centered around pve and keep-combat: in open rvr they're both a bit lacking.
Wiz - Easy to level and has been given so many buffs on pheo they have everything: aoe dots, bolts, nearsight, gtaoe.
Theurg - Nice long range and support spells but not really a dualist.
Sorc - CC powerhouse, can securely pet anything yellow-con or can be specced for roots and ubernukes instead.
Cab - AoEs to ruin all the sorcs good work, has summomable pets that are reasonable. Access to strong debuff nukes. Also has nearsight because why would albion only have it on one class.

Any caster will near enough get lol-1-shot'ed by stealthers running around anyway: but that's the gist for albion.

Is that pretty much the same for the caster equivalents for the other to realms?
Fri 24 Jul 2020 6:28 AM by Khrin
Pretty much. Casters with speed (theurg, sorc, enchanter, runemaster) are good "first chars" because everything from basic pve running about to rvr is made more pleasent when you move faster than 3mph. Of those enchantet is the best all-rounder (stun, debuff nukes, decent pet selection, bombing). Runie and theurg are decent in rvr but nobody really wants you in groups and sorc-saturation means definitely nobody wants you in groups :p
Fri 24 Jul 2020 7:32 AM by Valaraukar
Roll a berzerk and enjoy melee dps

yes RAs are different if you play solo or group (talking about RvR obviously, for levelling up just stick to a bomb group if you find one or follow the task list if you exp alone), but not so much compared to other classes (hybrids above all like Thanes).
Race is Troll of course, if you plan to play solo most of the time you can consider to roll a Norse Zerk, but don't think it will be worth doing.
Initial stats: 10 Str 15 Quick, if you take a Norse you can go with 15 Str 10 Quick.
Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:11 AM by Deadpool
Khrin wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 6:28 AM
Pretty much. Casters with speed (theurg, sorc, enchanter, runemaster) are good "first chars" because everything from basic pve running about to rvr is made more pleasent when you move faster than 3mph. Of those enchantet is the best all-rounder (stun, debuff nukes, decent pet selection, bombing). Runie and theurg are decent in rvr but nobody really wants you in groups and sorc-saturation means definitely nobody wants you in groups :p

are enchanters wanted in groups? Are the Melee hybrids like Paladin and such wanted in groups
The reason I mention solo play is i'm not sure how often or long I'll be able to play at times and I'm sure picking up a EXP group isn't the easiest thing to do in a short time
Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:19 AM by Valaraukar
Deadpool wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:11 AM
Khrin wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 6:28 AM

are enchanters wanted in groups? Are the Melee hybrids like Paladin and such wanted in groups
The reason I mention solo play is i'm not sure how often or long I'll be able to play at times and I'm sure picking up a EXP group isn't the easiest thing to do in a short time

Don't worry about exp really, if you find a bomb group it's fine if you don't find it you can easily exp in solo unless you roll a healer in Mid that would be a suicide, trust me

Think for the endgame, will you play mostly in RvR or prefer PvE instances or farming? Will you play alone, or in groups or in large zergs? This is the main choice you have to make, after that you can almost play any class you prefer, unless you are a caster in Midgard... no one wants casters on Midgard!
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:35 AM by Khrin
Enchaters are generally straightforward, their pets can be a fiddle at first but you'll quickly master using them and having the right one for the job. They're also (after naturalists) highly desirable in groups for everything from xping to small rve to bg zerg rvr to end game pve: and all with one spec (mana - though solo as light to about 15 or so then you can more easily get groups). If you really have your heart set on melee; a skald or warrior will be the more 'potent' options for mid. But hibernia is bae (even though they're currently suffering a pop-pile-on because mid/alb caaual rvr bgs are dead).

Edit: yes pallys are also quite desirable because of their endurance chant and not much else :p
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:53 AM by Deadpool
Khrin wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:35 AM
Enchaters are generally straightforward, their pets can be a fiddle at first but you'll quickly master using them and having the right one for the job. They're also (after naturalists) highly desirable in groups for everything from xping to small rve to bg zerg rvr to end game pve: and all with one spec (mana - though solo as light to about 15 or so then you can more easily get groups). If you really have your heart set on melee; a skald or warrior will be the more 'potent' options for mid. But hibernia is bae (even though they're currently suffering a pop-pile-on because mid/alb caaual rvr bgs are dead).

Edit: yes pallys are also quite desirable because of their endurance chant and not much else :p

why is hibernia so popular?
Fri 24 Jul 2020 11:18 AM by Valaraukar
Deadpool wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:53 AM
Khrin wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:35 AM

why is hibernia so popular?

Uh...what a question
easy farming, easy zerging, easy stealthing, a bit less easy in 8vs8 PvP for what it matters
Fri 24 Jul 2020 11:20 AM by Khrin
Numerous reasons. Alb and mid are d1ckhead magnets. Naturalists are popular and one of their casters (mentalist) can heal, so they rarely struggle in that department. Their casters are all universally strong and all high dex/int races - plus they all have castable stun. The defensive power of animists is absurd for holding on to keeps (eg ones with relics inside) - animists also double as the best gold farming class in the game so there's plenty of them. They have BG leaders who, while zerg hearding, generally make good decisions (generally...) and unlike alb/mid - there is more than 1 of them. Because of it's "pve focus" historically, all the good farming and grouping spots are generally well known in hib. Firbolgs. I couls go on.
Fri 24 Jul 2020 11:23 AM by Noashakra
Hib is more popular than mid because PVE is easier and we have an active BG leader.
But overall, alb is always the realm with more population because it appeals more to some people (knights of the round table, athur, etc.).
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:48 PM by Freudinio
Personally I would first look at the realms and pick the realm you fancy the most. After that, pick a class in that realm that you think would suit you the most.

If you want to stick with melee, I suggest light tanks on either Albion (Mercenary) or Hibernia (Blademaster). These two classes get to spec in shield and with weapon swap macros you can be quite a force both in group play, but also solo (you will need to set your realm abilities up after what you have in mind).

If you are considering a caster there are a few options that will set you up for both PvE and RvR:

Albion: Cabalist - Excellent solo farmer / leveler - Revolves around using your pet to clump up mobs and then AoE Dot kite. This spec can also be used in RvR, though primarely in zerg / zerg surfing scenarios. Trispec Cabs are always wanted for their debuffs and utility.

Midgard: Bonedancer - Excellent solo farmer and leveler maybe even more so than cabalist. Absolute beast in RvR. Wanted for 8v8, Zergs (the Realm ability called Thornweed Field a.k.a TWF) and also an extremely solid solo class.

Hibernia: Eld or Enchanter - Both can easily get groups due to having a strong PBAoE. This is also true after you reach 50 where farming Firebrands / Hulks is a solid source of income. Both of these are solid rvr chars, especially in a group / zerg scenario. Eld has more utility. Chanter has a pet and speed.

Welcome to DAoC. I hope you enjoy
Mon 27 Jul 2020 11:52 PM by Gildar
Khrin wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 11:20 AM
They have BG leaders who, while zerg hearding, generally make good decisions (generally...) and unlike alb/mid - there is more than 1 of them.

This is the first and most important reason.

When you log in dont have to standing still in relic town shouting LFG rvr for an hour before find a grp and came in to action.

On Hib rarely BG is off ... so ù have only to join the current BG running and go straight in RvR

We have almost 3 good and reliable bg leaders ... Pilz, Gilboom and Smap ... they led Hib to war and glory
Tue 28 Jul 2020 12:57 PM by Siouxsie
Hib is ezmode. Ezmode stealthers (nightshades and rangers are both overpowered for what they should be), Ezmode casters with a castable baseline stun, and like 80% of the classes can heal each other.

If you want no challenge, only want to mash a few buttons and not have to worry about strategy because your class overpowered other classes like for like.. play Hib
Tue 28 Jul 2020 5:07 PM by Noashakra
Don't listen to Siouxsie, he gets roasted by the gm because he doesn't know the game.
NS is actually the worst sin, especially since the bonus nerf.
Each time people say this crap they are never able to point out why, they have no arguments. (Still a good class overall don't get me wrong).

The ranger is arguably the best of the 3 archers, but if you play solo, archers are hard to have success with.

If you group (like Siouxsie who made most of his rps in stealth groups, so he should know about easy mode) yeah archers are deadly. But in stelath groups alb is easy mode with the scout/snare/stun and the ministrel.

and like 80% of the classes can heal each other
Wow a mentalist has a crap heal, therefore 80% of hib can heal. Slow clap.
Tue 28 Jul 2020 5:44 PM by daytonchambers
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020 5:07 PM
NS is actually the worst sin, especially since the bonus nerf.
Each time people say this crap they are never able to point out why, they have no arguments. (Still a good class overall don't get me wrong).

Let's see... Access to a nice dex/qui debuff blade which pairs so well with your anytime attack speed reduction that 95%+ use that setup as a fight opener. Plus you get a side stun as well as a direct evade stun low enough in your trees that basically every hib sneak with some melee spec investment has both.

Slash resistant armor, which is what the majority of your opponents will use. And that "bonus nerf" still leaving you with a damage bonus against many of your most common opponents if you run blades, which as I said most do.

And the icing on the cake is that nightshades get those "useless" spells, which just happen to work perfectly for rupting a caster or archer while closing distance to get into a melee fight, and you don't have to waste a charge doing it. That's huge. Plus the castable DD is spammable on a target up to 1500 units away, so you're the ONLY sin that has a solid counter against that asinine scout root that has no immunity timer.

Yep. No arguments whatsoever, NS is totally garbage vs the other two sins. LoL
Tue 28 Jul 2020 6:59 PM by Noashakra
You are an idiot, because of course, you forgot the part in brackets. Not surprised you stawman me after that.
I never said the NS was garbage, I said it was the worst of the three. Do you get the difference? If the Inf is a 9/10, the NS is a close 8.7/10.

And you didn't bring anything that would push the NS (40str 40constit races) above the inf (60str 60 const race 34% debuff speed, add dmg 11.3 weapons, access to 2s stun, 6s stun and 9s, can go 50 dual as soon as the 6L and then 50 CS and make even make a bi spec slash/pierce at the 11L) or the SB (70 st 70 constit race, 100% hit chance for proc and poison application, tripple dot, better HP table).

Te evade stun is situational, I don't use it because I don't want someone to purge the poisons. Also it'sz 4s with blade. Compare with the inf?

Speak with Naas, and he will tell you why the SB is the best of the three...

Oh yeah we are strong against scout, the infiltrators don't care they don't have to face it.
Tue 28 Jul 2020 7:26 PM by Ibs
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020 6:59 PM
You are an idiot, because of course, you forgot the part in brackets. Not surprised you stawman me after that.
I never said the NS was garbage, I said it was the worst of the three. Do you get the difference? If the Inf is a 9/10, the NS is a close 8.7/10.

And you didn't bring anything that would push the NS (40str 40constit races) above the inf (60str 60 const race 34% debuff speed, add dmg 11.3 weapons, access to 2s stun, 6s stun and 9s, can go 50 dual as soon as the 6L and then 50 CS and make even make a bi spec slash/pierce at the 11L) or the SB (70 st 70 constit race, 100% hit chance for proc and poison application, tripple dot, better HP table).

Te evade stun is situational, I don't use it because I don't want someone to purge the poisons. Also it'sz 4s with blade. Compare with the inf?

Speak with Naas, and he will tell you why the SB is the best of the three...

Oh yeah we are strong against scout, the infiltrators don't care they don't have to face it.

Also dual shadows for the inf in dw. They get a really sweet bleed on a front positional. Yes ns gets a good one in cd too, but it's the second style in a side chain.
Tue 28 Jul 2020 7:48 PM by Noashakra
The NS is total garbo though, that's why I stopped playing my ranger and plays exclusively in solo since weeks...
/s
Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:59 PM by Gildar
Siouxsie wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020 12:57 PM
Hib is ezmode. Ezmode stealthers (nightshades and rangers are both overpowered for what they should be), Ezmode casters with a castable baseline stun, and like 80% of the classes can heal each other.

If you want no challenge, only want to mash a few buttons and not have to worry about strategy because your class overpowered other classes like for like.. play Hib

You are a funny man

Reading your reply is always fun for the unbelivable things you write ...

Come hib and try that Ezmode. Dont blame hib if mid is unable to set up a decent BG or grp... maybe a bit more love on your casters ?
And if Hib Single stun is op ... what about Mid AOE STUN ? Mid Ezmode so ?
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:02 PM by Siouxsie
Gildar wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020 11:59 PM
You are a funny man

Come hib and try that Ezmode. Dont blame hib if mid is unable to set up a decent BG or grp... maybe a bit more love on your casters ?

Mid only has ONE class (Pac spec healer) that can AOE stun and they have to be spec'd right for it.
Hib gets baseline stun on 3 classes (ELdritch, Enchanter, Mentalist) and they don't have to spec ANYTHING to have it.

Nice try, Captain Hib.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:17 PM by Valaraukar
Siouxsie wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:02 PM
Gildar wrote:
You are a funny man

Mid only has ONE class (Pac spec healer) that can AOE stun and they have to be spec'd right for it.
Hib gets baseline stun on 3 classes (ELdritch, Enchanter, Mentalist) and they don't have to spec ANYTHING to have it.

Nice try, Captain Hib.

I fear that you are talking to a guy who doesn't even know how and when the aoe stuns should be used. Don't waste words, it's not worth it

ah.. and just a reminder.... all the three have QUICKCAST
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:43 PM by Siouxsie
Valaraukar wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:17 PM
I fear that you are talking to a guy who doesn't even know how and when the aoe stuns should be used. Don't waste words, it's not worth it

Yep exactly. Quickcast baseline stun.. all for free, no need to spec into a certain line to the detriment of another line.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 2:35 PM by Gildar
/ clap all

Good whining example

I repeat ... come on Hib And try Ezmode.

You was surprised .

One thing is sure ... when Mid dominate this server your realm have good players ... not only whiners or flag hunters (in 2 fg stick).

Stay here brooding and moaning on how Hib is OP but dont do nothing to help your Realm.

Bye all
Wed 29 Jul 2020 5:33 PM by Noashakra
LOL Shar op... They have 60str...same as celt. Wtf are you on? As much dmg as a light tank... You show again you have no idea about this game.

We went to 80% of the class heal to the 3 ovates and the mentalist with his crap heal.

And yeah relic bonuses to compare classes.

You are a clown dude. Make a class without zerging the relic gate with 3/4 other people and come back here to speak about easy mode.

People cry about easy stun when alb runs with 5 pets that cc without timer and can instant kill with the assist debuff train, Mez 1850, castable amnesia on a class with 360+ dex range 2300.
Mid has a mage with drain and perma moc with it's intercept pet and another one that can 1vs1 any caster or melee spamming one key.

Clowns everywhere.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 9:43 PM by Gildar
Noashakra wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 5:33 PM
LOL Shar op... They have 60str...same as celt. Wtf are you on? As much dmg as a light tank... You show again you have no idea about this game.

We went to 80% of the class heal to the 3 ovates and the mentalist with his crap heal.

And yeah relic bonuses to compare classes.

You are a clown dude. Make a class without zerging the relic gate with 3/4 other people and come back here to speak about easy mode.

People cry about easy stun when alb runs with 5 pets that cc without time and can instant kill with the assist debuff train, Mez 1850, castable amnesia on a class with 360+ dex range 2300.
Mid has a mage with drain and perma moc with it's intercept pet and another one that can 1vs1 any caster or melee spamming one key.

Clowns everywhere.

Yes... ppl that tell about things they dont know at all

Hib Ezmode....
Wed 29 Jul 2020 9:59 PM by Gildar
Valaraukar wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:17 PM
Siouxsie wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:02 PM
Gildar wrote:
You are a funny man

Nice try, Captain Hib.

I dont fear i'm sure you dont know anything about classes of other realm apart mid ... that' s why you lose fights 🤣

You talk about healer aoe stun ... spec spell... sa me bard ... a bard have to spec in music to have aoe mezz ... you know ?
And you know that Hib is the only Realm with nerfed amnesia (2000 range only) ?
No i guess 😂

Where are Ezmode here ? don't show how little you know about this game ... so you look bad as u are

Better stay silent ... believe me
Fri 31 Jul 2020 1:35 AM by Deadpool
Are forums here normally this toxic? I simply asked for some advice and it turned into a pissing match of one realm has it more easy then another or one class is better or sucks more than another. It's hard to really tell what information is useful or not when everyone is arguing and throwing out numbers and percentages that I have zero clue what it actually means.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 1:50 AM by Hashashiin
Yes, DAoC forums have been toxic since the very first forum on release of the game. RvR draws competitive people and competition brings out the best and worst in people. Ignore them and you'll be better for it
Fri 31 Jul 2020 4:47 AM by lolhisup
Champion or Reaver I would suggest I think.
Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:31 AM by Valaraukar
Gildar wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 9:59 PM

I dont fear i'm sure you dont know anything about classes of other realm apart mid ... that' s why you lose fights 🤣

You talk about healer aoe stun ... spec spell... sa me bard ... a bard have to spec in music to have aoe mezz ... you know ?
And you know that Hib is the only Realm with nerfed amnesia (2000 range only) ?
No i guess 😂

Where are Ezmode here ? don't show how little you know about this game ... so you look bad as u are

Better stay silent ... believe me
[/quote]

My oh my.... and so healers have aoe mezz baseline? Really?
and you talk about the nerfed INSTANT AOE AMNESIA? Really again???
Why do you change subject? Because you don't have enough arguments, I'm sure. All that I've said is that Hib has 3 caster dps with BASELINE single stun, and can use it in the assist train while Mid has the stun only in one supporter class, and this is a huge difference, no matter what you say about bards (who talked about Bards??? : )
Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:35 AM by Valaraukar
Deadpool wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 1:35 AM
Are forums here normally this toxic? I simply asked for some advice and it turned into a pissing match of one realm has it more easy then another or one class is better or sucks more than another. It's hard to really tell what information is useful or not when everyone is arguing and throwing out numbers and percentages that I have zero clue what it actually means.

You are right and I'm very sorry to have ruined your post, but when I see hibs whining about their classes I cannot help....

anyway I can just repeat what I said earlier: if you want to try Melee DPS Zerk is a good choice, you do just one thing and you do it well: swing your weapons and deal damage.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 2:41 PM by Noashakra
Valaraukar wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:35 AM
Deadpool wrote:

You are right and I'm very sorry to have ruined your post, but when I see hibs whining about their classes I cannot help....

anyway I can just repeat what I said earlier: if you want to try Melee DPS Zerk is a good choice, you do just one thing and you do it well: swing your weapons and deal damage.

What the hell, we didn't whine about our classes. I actually think no realm is easy mode, only a few classes in solo (which are actually not hib - Necro BD RM). It's just your realm mate making the claim hib classes are easy mode without any argument and we responded to this idiot.

But after all the absurdities you post on this forum on a regular basis, I am not surprised.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 5:44 PM by Dariussdars
RM is easy mode solo?

Ok.
Sun 2 Aug 2020 9:05 PM by Noashakra
Dariussdars wrote:
Sun 2 Aug 2020 5:44 PM
RM is easy mode solo?

Ok.

SM, sorry.
Mon 3 Aug 2020 9:16 PM by Cadebrennus
Deadpool wrote:

Ignore the whiners, trolls, and flamers.

Here's what it comes down to:

First of all, what type of archetype do you like playing?

Sword and shield?
Two hander?
Really huge spear or polearm?
Dual wielder?
Or something in the middle of two of these?

Start there with archetype.

Then, what's your skill level? Are you good enough to dance around monsters and players for positional styles? It actually matters here in contrast to newer games.

What's your twitch skill level? How fast can you react to enemy attacks and to your own character's reactions (block/parry/evade) to the enemy attacks?

Do you like to solo or to group? Do you see your character being more aggressive or defensive, including defending your team mates? Are you interested in open field fights or keep fights?

Answer these questions and then the helpful posters here can help guide you to a realm, class, and spec (specialization aka where you put your skill line points at level 50).

Best of luck!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics