Question about Weapon Skill and how it affects defense penetration

Started 20 Sep 2020
by DinoTriz
in PvE
I've heard Weapon Skill affects damage and defense penetration and two handed weapons are treated different.

My question basically is how do you find out your pencentage of defense penetration?

It's relatively easy to find the difference in damage but defense pen seems harder to test.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not there's a huge difference in going 50 skill on a two hander weapon or going 44 skill.

The damage increase doesn't seem to be all that much but the extra defense penetration may make it worth it.

Anyone know?
Sun 20 Sep 2020 10:49 PM by gromet12
DinoTriz wrote:
Sun 20 Sep 2020 10:10 PM
I've heard Weapon Skill affects damage and defense penetration and two handed weapons are treated different.

My question basically is how do you find out your pencentage of defense penetration?

It's relatively easy to find the difference in damage but defense pen seems harder to test.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not there's a huge difference in going 50 skill on a two hander weapon or going 44 skill.

The damage increase doesn't seem to be all that much but the extra defense penetration may make it worth it.

Anyone know?

https://sites.google.com/site/daoctests/home/daimar-base-weapon-defense-penetration
Sun 20 Sep 2020 11:28 PM by DinoTriz
gromet12 wrote:
Sun 20 Sep 2020 10:49 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/daoctests/home/daimar-base-weapon-defense-penetration

Thanks!

So basically a 0.15% increase in defense pen per point.

It doesn't look like they tested 2 handers, but even if 2 handers get say, a 2x bonus that's like 0.30 - 0.60% per point.

So not worth it. In my opinion anyway. But I suppose it depends on the class. In my case, Valewalker, I'd benefit from more parry or Arb.
Sun 20 Sep 2020 11:28 PM by ExcretusMaximus
gruenesschaf wrote:
Mon 20 Apr 2020 3:27 PM
This just the display AF, like displayed weapon skill just a useless number in your char screen that has no effect on the actual damage. Anyways, I'm almost sure the displayed af formula should be correct but not super certain.

What you forgot in your case is that the different armor pieces have different weights depending on the hit chance of the slot, e. g. a 40% factor for the chest compared to a 5% factor for feet / hands, that means even for the display AF the chest has much more impact than the feet.
Sun 20 Sep 2020 11:33 PM by DinoTriz
I suppose when I say "Weapon Skill", I really mean skill points put into a weapon line.
Thu 24 Sep 2020 11:15 AM by Chia
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Sun 20 Sep 2020 11:28 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:
This just the display AF, like displayed weapon skill just a useless number in your char screen that has no effect on the actual damage. Anyways, I'm almost sure the displayed af formula should be correct but not super certain.

What you forgot in your case is that the different armor pieces have different weights depending on the hit chance of the slot, e. g. a 40% factor for the chest compared to a 5% factor for feet / hands, that means even for the display AF the chest has much more impact than the feet.

This talks about damage. I think for what he is referring to it is relevant in some way, because it does affect the to-hit chance. Also a 2h attacker for some time in DAOC cut parry rate while dual wielders cut block/evade. I am not sure how either of these work on Phoenix , maybe you would have better luck getting a GM to respond on the discord or the Ask The Team part of this forum?

*If you search the forums "defense penetration" about halfway down the results, Gruen has some posts about the 1h/2h thing and savages.
Thu 24 Sep 2020 9:28 PM by gromet12
Chia wrote:
Thu 24 Sep 2020 11:15 AM
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Sun 20 Sep 2020 11:28 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:

This talks about damage. I think for what he is referring to it is relevant in some way, because it does affect the to-hit chance. Also a 2h attacker for some time in DAOC cut parry rate while dual wielders cut block/evade. I am not sure how either of these work on Phoenix , maybe you would have better luck getting a GM to respond on the discord or the Ask The Team part of this forum?

*If you search the forums "defense penetration" about halfway down the results, Gruen has some posts about the 1h/2h thing and savages.

The displayed weapon skill in UI means nothing, weapon spec does effect defense penetration but at a very low rate, the biggest factor is really the classes inherent defense penetration which some have higher. The old basic is ~12% for hybrids and ~17% true melee, meaning even at lower spec a zerker will have higher defense penetration than a savage (hybrid). And yes dual-wielding cuts block/evade while 2h cuts parry
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics