Re: Skald Guide - Work in Progress

Some very solid questions and some very solid answers by Grom. Thank you both for discussing one of the two topics I truly love to discuss (The other one is CyberArk Privileged Account Security).

My inputs:
1) I've seen that to compensate the 46 BS you got Mastery of Focus, is that necessary? I used to think that the bonus from RR would be enough. So is it useful to go past 50?
My main focus is actually to reduce mezz resistance (The highest spell is only level 42). For non 50-song builds, you also increase both dd's as they are 43 and 44)

2) 37 in MA is compensated by +11 from gear and +RR, is it usefull any point above 50?
I would not argue that any + damage is not useful, but there is a low ROI when going high in the current state of Phoenix. I really wish there were some true options in terms of weapon-lines AND feather items Let's see what the survey results tell us

3) Damage wise, i see you prefer to have a huge AoG more than Aus. Str. or MoPain. Based on your experience is better to have a big dmg every 10 mins. than a sustained passive boost?
My playstyle is mainly solo. I often go long time without any viable encounters. Also i depend on several other actives so the timers tend to not be fully in sync. This means Ill usually have some tools up and sometimes have them all.

4) Magical damage wise, you got no boost at all, do you think DDs are not so important for skald?
DD damage is not very important, but the interrupt from DD's is absolute key. Additionally keep in mind that you are not always better off casting both DD's at the same time, but cast one and wait one second before casting the second could give a longer interrupt window.

5) Defence wise, you got no Avoidance of magic while a big boost in Parry with Mastery of Parrying, so skald is more vulnerable to phisical dmg than magical one?
I generally have little challenges related to dmg output vs casters and have downplayed this defence. Also note that as a Hammer user, parry = Stuns. And Stuns win fights

Catkain wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 11:35 PM
Some very solid questions and some very solid answers by Grom. Thank you both for discussing one of the two topics I truly love to discuss (The other one is CyberArk Privileged Account Security).

Im just jumping in because as someone who works in InfoSec, trying to pitch privileged account security/management is a battle I fight everyday.
Keltic - Solo Paladin
Chronekk - Solo Warrior
Hereo - Solo Hero
Santoryou - Solo BM

Catkain wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 11:35 PM
My inputs:
1) I've seen that to compensate the 46 BS you got Mastery of Focus, is that necessary? I used to think that the bonus from RR would be enough. So is it useful to go past 50?
My main focus is actually to reduce mezz resistance (The highest spell is only level 42). For non 50-song builds, you also increase both dd's as they are 43 and 44)

Juste a precision on that point :

Minimun resist rate will always be 10% on this server.
Without MoF the resist rate of the mez is 13.8% and the DD is 14.0%.

So it a choice to invest some point in MoF to gain a 4% less resist rate.

You need Parry only for solo running, better more than less ... if you want the stun - 46 BS, 37 Hammer, 29 Parry ... Hammer has Advantages vs Leather ... and Styles? take a look at the Charplaner - Stun, Snare and what else?

Using Axe has Advantages vs Alb Chain and Scale and brings nice Styles - running 46 BS, 40 Axe, 25 Parry.

Good Luck and much Fun

Had those changes gone in, I would most likely have gone 48 hammer, yes. At least based on my initial review of the available spec-lines.

I am neither pro nor con the changes as they in my opinion were to large to really judge before implementation. I hope they continue to do changes to Phoenix and the judgement of the staff on what changes to put in and not is what has kept me here for so long

Dear Mr. Catkain,
countless Norsebabes assured me that Skalds are just untalented, uncivilized brutes that can't figure out how to play a proper instrument, constantly making up crude "songs" that nobody really enjoys, mainly on the topic of how good life will be when it's finally over. I thought you are entitled to know.

Yours respectfully,
Nauglamir Skaldbane

PS: stay out of Pennine, it's not safe there