Re: Skald Guide - Work in Progress

Catkain wrote:
Wed 23 Sep 2020 12:02 PM
darkstar00 wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020 12:46 AM
What race do you prefer for a skald? I know the 30-40 str advantage troll gets is hard to dismiss.

I udated the guide to include my considerations for race

Awesome thanks!
Blindgaze rr7 sb
Zamara rr7 ns

Great guide! I am currently using it to consider/build my skald temp. Keep up the good work - I will be checking back in frequently

How high do you prioritize + skills? Should I aim for full skill on BS or is there another +skill range I should aim for?

tehjudso wrote:
Mon 28 Sep 2020 6:37 AM
Great guide! I am currently using it to consider/build my skald temp. Keep up the good work - I will be checking back in frequently

How high do you prioritize + skills? Should I aim for full skill on BS or is there another +skill range I should aim for?

I see no reason to exclude anything from a template, but I do appreciate that everyone has a different budget. I will update guide with a priority-list of stats, skills and resists to show what in my opinion are the highest/least priority items

This is awesome, Catkain ...thanks for doing it !!!

It will take me a good bit to digest it all. I bookmarked it so I can check back from time to time as you fill it out more.

I love it that you have so many Skalds.
I have my 50 Dorf and a 24 Norse for Thid, oops, Molvik.
They are both axe. I am thinking about making a new Troll Skald to try hammer, but I suspect that subconsciously it is just a dodge to keep from having to work on my Skald and Hunter temps....lol It prob depends on whether or not I can think of a suitable name for a new one. A decent and unique name is very important to me - my 50 is "Pickmeup" and the 24 is "MacLyft" (this is Mac from Discord, btw). I also have a 50 Mins named "MacTaxi", a 24 Mins named "ThidWheels", and a 24 Bard named "Flashdrive".

I just checked and the name "AfOnMe" is still not taken (I was gonna use it for an end-game Bard, but after playing one in Thid, I decided I hate Bards, not to mention that I hate having to mess with instruments), so looks like a new Troll Skald will born today.

Keep up the good work, Pops !!!
Never ask permission when you can beg forgiveness later.

Hey guys

i'm actually skald solo with 44 hammer 46 BS

I want try Axe or sword but i see almost all skald play hammer (for the backside snare)

Axe and sword work ? if yes, why ?

i see an axe with proc add damage 11.3, i love play with AOTG and with that i can keep usable my heart of legion. It's good idea ?

Trolldejardin wrote:
Fri 9 Oct 2020 12:44 PM
Hey guys

i'm actually skald solo with 44 hammer 46 BS

I want try Axe or sword but i see almost all skald play hammer (for the backside snare)

Axe and sword work ? if yes, why ?

i see an axe with proc add damage 11.3, i love play with AOTG and with that i can keep usable my heart of legion. It's good idea ?

They work just fine (axe or sword, more so axe than sword imo but it would work)

The issue to me is the weapon choices

39/44/29 was my spec for solo/duo (I played with 44/44/21 until rr5, its nice but I like extra 4% defense over little dmg and a style that I rarely used)

The best weapon in mid for a skald (or any melee imo) is the dex/quick debuff hammer. Combine that with revenge ASR 21% reduction targets are swinging much slower. Getting the debuff proc and an ASR off is a game-changer in a fight. With axe you could use a dex/quick charge then the side style 34% ASR which is better, the feather weapons for axe just never appealed to me due to weapon effects. I stick to feather weapons for the higher proc rate vs rog/crafted

Hi all, thank you very much for this very useful topic!

I'm a new skald, Norseman 50 BS, 18 Parry, 39 Sword (ye i know hammer is better but i like to see him wielding a sword
I'm also RR 4L0 and i was planning to be at 10L0: SOS 1, Purge 2, Ignore Pain 3, Anger of the Gods 1, Avoidance 5, Determination 6, Mastery of Pain 5, Wild Power 5, Aug. Strength 4, Aug. Acuity 4

I play mostly with friends, so BG or 8 man/small, but since in this server Midgard is very often without an actual BG I was thinking to use a more versatile build for solo roaming.

I've found very interesting the idea of the author to go 46/29/37 and at this regard i have some questions:

1) I've seen that to compensate the 46 BS you got Mastery of Focus, is that necessary? I used to think that the bonus from RR would be enough. So is it useful to go past 50?
2) 37 in MA is compensated by +11 from gear and +RR, is it usefull any point above 50?
3) Damage wise, i see you prefer to have a huge AoG more than Aus. Str. or MoPain. Based on your experience is better to have a big dmg every 10 mins. than a sustained passive boost?
4) Magical damage wise, you got no boost at all, do you think DDs are not so important for skald?
5) Defence wise, you got no Avoidance of magic while a big boost in Parry with Mastery of Parrying, so skald is more vulnerable to phisical dmg than magical one?

Sorry if my question are a bit noobish, and thank you in advance

Boemondo wrote:
Mon 12 Oct 2020 10:38 AM
Hi all, thank you very much for this very useful topic!

I'm a new skald, Norseman 50 BS, 18 Parry, 39 Sword (ye i know hammer is better but i like to see him wielding a sword
I'm also RR 4L0 and i was planning to be at 10L0: SOS 1, Purge 2, Ignore Pain 3, Anger of the Gods 1, Avoidance 5, Determination 6, Mastery of Pain 5, Wild Power 5, Aug. Strength 4, Aug. Acuity 4

I play mostly with friends, so BG or 8 man/small, but since in this server Midgard is very often without an actual BG I was thinking to use a more versatile build for solo roaming.

I've found very interesting the idea of the author to go 46/29/37 and at this regard i have some questions:

1) I've seen that to compensate the 46 BS you got Mastery of Focus, is that necessary? I used to think that the bonus from RR would be enough. So is it useful to go past 50?
2) 37 in MA is compensated by +11 from gear and +RR, is it usefull any point above 50?
3) Damage wise, i see you prefer to have a huge AoG more than Aus. Str. or MoPain. Based on your experience is better to have a big dmg every 10 mins. than a sustained passive boost?
4) Magical damage wise, you got no boost at all, do you think DDs are not so important for skald?
5) Defence wise, you got no Avoidance of magic while a big boost in Parry with Mastery of Parrying, so skald is more vulnerable to phisical dmg than magical one?

Sorry if my question are a bit noobish, and thank you in advance

I'm not the main but played plenty to know most of this

1) MOF effects SPELL LVL not spec level. The spell is casted as X, using MOF will help raise it up to resist as if the spell is lvl 50. Adding BS does little to DD dmg
2) Very little if you are playing 1h/shield and in a group, your play style is to interrupt and snare. Your melee dmg isn't really that important as its being able to snare. (same applies to the DD's hitting, you could forgo MOF in this setup to focus more on group RA's)
3) When they changed Mopain a few months ago, it was pointless to take and more reliable to get more Str for a constant increase if you had the RA's, I personally did quick. These are subjective opinions which makes the classes different, but getting more quickness would make you swing faster. If you can get the 250 quick cap then this doesn't apply, if you cannot hit quick cap Quick>Str imo
4) DD's are every 15secs and though nice, are not a part of your main dmg. Most skalds focus on melee vs DD dmg (cap acuity in your temp but other than that meh)
5) Solo most targets are melee, spec again how you play. If you hang out by the keeps more, then I would go for more resist. Dont forget you have resist chants that you should be running anyways. Most just macro them so you cast them all at once.