Which Ranged/Melee Hybrid is most fun?

Started 10 Aug 2020
by Cadebrennus
in Midgard
In your opinion, what class between Hunter and Thane is the most fun in each of the following scenarios and why? I have very little time to play and therefore can only really dedicate what little time I have to one class. I'm not worried about farming since I can transfer plat from Alb and Hib.

PvE (not farming)
Solo RvR
Duo/Smallman RvR
8v8
Zerg
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:19 PM by gotwqqd
Thane
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:37 PM by Cadebrennus
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:19 PM
Thane

And why?
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:42 PM by boridi
One is a stealther, one isn't... completely different play styles.

Thanes have decent melee damage, slam/guard, insta dd/insta pbae dd for interrupts, fairly strong dd, AOE dd, static tempest for keeps/towers... lots of different tools.
Mon 10 Aug 2020 2:38 PM by Cadebrennus
boridi wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:42 PM
One is a stealther, one isn't... completely different play styles.

Thanes have decent melee damage, slam/guard, insta dd/insta pbae dd for interrupts, fairly strong dd, AOE dd, static tempest for keeps/towers... lots of different tools.

True on the playstyle thing for most people, but I tend to play my Archers more like Visi classes with the added bonus of hiding from Visis. Hell, the main reason I created a Ranger so many years ago (pre-SI) was because I gave up on soloing my Merc due to radar. Stealth was the only way to avoid radar. I ended up playing the Ranger like a weaker BM but with a longer ranged interrupt/DPS tool.

I like that you listed the toolkit. How decent is their melee in your opinion?
Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:29 AM by boridi
Most thanes are 50 SC/42 shield/39 hammer I think, so less dmg than other midgard tanks. If you slam someone, you're better off stepping back and casting instead of pulling out the 2H hammer.
Tue 11 Aug 2020 9:01 AM by Cadebrennus
boridi wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:29 AM
Most thanes are 50 SC/42 shield/39 hammer I think, so less dmg than other midgard tanks. If you slam someone, you're better off stepping back and casting instead of pulling out the 2H hammer.

I've been without Slam for a long time on my Merc and BM so I'm comfortable without it on a Thane too. 35 Shield on the Merc, 23 on the BM (who is dual spec), so I'm going to try 23 Shield, 50 Axe/SC on the Thane.

I think I've settled on Thane due to the comments here, but I wouldn't mind more opinions comparing the two hybrids.
Fri 14 Aug 2020 1:06 PM by Dunga
pve: both are find in pve. thane will do it better bc of shild/parry. the hunter have nearly nothing for his def. for raids, always the first pick will be thane bc of shild and ae ability. for me thane is better on pve.

solo: the two are just really difficult to compare. sneak, dog, bow, hardly defensive vs shield, lightning, ae, tank, visible without speed... both i play right now the most.
most solo players have a high rank. the thane definitely does better at lower rank bc of his def. i like at these patch thane much more (my hunter had high mop befor the change and without it, a fight usually lasts much longer or too long )

duo: always thane bc of shild,peel,damage,... 8man same, zerg also for sure bc of ae.

thane all the way! its realy a fun class. you can do almost anything. not everything as good as a special class, but how could that work? be aware that you will be cut down very often when you are alone. if you can deal with it, the best class in the game awaits you in my eyes.

In the past I was also 50/50 (hammer), but only 10 in shield and the rest parry. I thought it was very good. I'm now on the road for a while with the standard 39/42/50 ... also good. my plan is now to switch to 50/50/23 shield. the bottom line is that it shouldn't mean much less defensive and slam is generally purged anyway. st usually only helps with opponents where you wouldn't need a slam anyway

ax sounds good and i always wanted to, but somehow i can't find a good ax. actually only lt rog is in question. in terms of styles, I also tend to hammer.
In the end, not such a huge difference, shild swap will be mandatory one way or another.
Thu 3 Dec 2020 1:56 AM by Hodge
The Thane hammer is one damage table higher than the axe or sword. So, you will have slightly lower damage output.
Thu 3 Dec 2020 7:29 AM by Sepplord
Cadebrennus wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:57 PM
I'm not worried about farming since I can transfer plat from Alb and Hib.

Make sure to put in your tradeorder asap...i don't know how bad it is (or if it is bad at all anymore) but i have heard from a few people that were waiting for weeks/months to transfer money from alb to mid. It seems as if the amount of money being traded away from alb/hib is bigger than the amount of money people want to trade away from midgard so orders get filled slowly if you want to trade TO midgard. (take this with a grain of salt, but there is no harm putting the tradeorder in early, even if i am incorrect)
Thu 3 Dec 2020 12:20 PM by gotwqqd
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 3 Dec 2020 7:29 AM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:57 PM
I'm not worried about farming since I can transfer plat from Alb and Hib.

Make sure to put in your tradeorder asap...i don't know how bad it is (or if it is bad at all anymore) but i have heard from a few people that were waiting for weeks/months to transfer money from alb to mid. It seems as if the amount of money being traded away from alb/hib is bigger than the amount of money people want to trade away from midgard so orders get filled slowly if you want to trade TO midgard. (take this with a grain of salt, but there is no harm putting the tradeorder in early, even if i am incorrect)
Mid to alb or hib
Instant

Else you will be waiting

Hunter is good for farming
Fri 4 Dec 2020 9:18 AM by morry1000
Hunter is good for farming? What kind of spec would you be talking for a hunter that farms? 50 weapon spec / 40 bow / 40+ beastcraft with no stealth or something like that?
Fri 4 Dec 2020 1:57 PM by gotwqqd
morry1000 wrote:
Fri 4 Dec 2020 9:18 AM
Hunter is good for farming? What kind of spec would you be talking for a hunter that farms? 50 weapon spec / 40 bow / 40+ beastcraft with no stealth or something like that?
You’ll have plenty for stealth
42BC
21Spear
50 comp stealth
Feast bow

Use pots and tinders
Usually orange die before reaching you
Fri 4 Dec 2020 3:24 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Or if you're only PvE, 50 Bow, 50 BC, 31 Spear and most reds die before reaching you as long as you're potted and have a Tinder up.
Sat 5 Dec 2020 8:49 PM by daytonchambers
morry1000 wrote:

I farm with my hunter despite having a 50 bonedancer. Pick any spec you like, it doesn't really matter with the right pet......

Bind in Mularn, then port to Gotar and take a horse south. Jump once you enter Myrkwood and then run southwewst.

Once you are near Spindelhalla you will see all sorts of Arachite around. Use insect charm and charm one of the priests. This little guy is only lv 15-16 but will base AF buff you and spam heal you when you go under 50% health. These heals are better than the lvl 45 bonedancer healing pet, and have the advantage of being able to heal groupmates. An incredibly useful pet!

Once you have one charmed, use your stone and recall to Mularn. The pet will port with you so long as you don't go to SI/Frontier/anywhere that will require a load screen.

Back in Mularn... port one more time to West Skona. From there you can run East to vanern swamp or South to the Dragon zone for farming plat/PvE turn-ins/whatever. Even without a tinder you can chain kill reds as that pet will make you pretty much invincible, even against some purple con mobs. Just make sure it's on passive, and park it a short distance from you so that it doesn't get killed on accident by whatever you're fighting.

Good hunting!
Mon 7 Dec 2020 11:52 AM by Lollie
daytonchambers wrote:
Sat 5 Dec 2020 8:49 PM
morry1000 wrote:

I farm with my hunter despite having a 50 bonedancer. Pick any spec you like, it doesn't really matter with the right pet......

Bind in Mularn, then port to Gotar and take a horse south. Jump once you enter Myrkwood and then run southwewst.

Once you are near Spindelhalla you will see all sorts of Arachite around. Use insect charm and charm one of the priests. This little guy is only lv 15-16 but will base AF buff you and spam heal you when you go under 50% health. These heals are better than the lvl 45 bonedancer healing pet, and have the advantage of being able to heal groupmates. An incredibly useful pet!

Once you have one charmed, use your stone and recall to Mularn. The pet will port with you so long as you don't go to SI/Frontier/anywhere that will require a load screen.

Back in Mularn... port one more time to West Skona. From there you can run East to vanern swamp or South to the Dragon zone for farming plat/PvE turn-ins/whatever. Even without a tinder you can chain kill reds as that pet will make you pretty much invincible, even against some purple con mobs. Just make sure it's on passive, and park it a short distance from you so that it doesn't get killed on accident by whatever you're fighting.

Good hunting!

I tried this out over the weekend and it is amazing advice, works a charm!

I even ended up running around the frontiers looking for a similar typr mob to park in a keep for defence but couldnt find any.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics