Mentalist

Started 10 Nov 2020
by Kappu
in Hibernia
So I'm new to the Mentalist class and had some questions about Charming which revolve around which level charm people use I realize you can use the level 42 spell to charm anything but is that the most efficient? I see some people with all the charms on their hotbars which made me curious. I also wonder if you do just use the 42 charm how do you combat the mana usage as I noticed it doesn't drain mana with base regen, but do most people get Serenity 1?

The question of RA's would be what is the line of progression as far as the priority?

Thanks to any veteran Mentalist and I'm sure to love the class it's been a hoot thus far!
Tue 10 Nov 2020 3:12 PM by Bradekes
Kappu wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 2:48 PM
So I'm new to the Mentalist class and had some questions about Charming which revolve around which level charm people use I realize you can use the level 42 spell to charm anything but is that the most efficient? I see some people with all the charms on their hotbars which made me curious. I also wonder if you do just use the 42 charm how do you combat the mana usage as I noticed it doesn't drain mana with base regen, but do most people get Serenity 1?

The question of RA's would be what is the line of progression as far as the priority?

Thanks to any veteran Mentalist and I'm sure to love the class it's been a hoot thus far!

If you look at the types each charms says it charms then you can save power if you use a lower level charm that works for that type of mob.

So for example the level 4 charm can be used on humanoids, and it uses very low power. So if you have the training in light magic and plus to skill from items you can charm the same level humanoid with the level 4 and level 42
Tue 10 Nov 2020 3:38 PM by Kappu
Bradekes wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 3:12 PM
Kappu wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 2:48 PM

If you look at the types each charms says it charms then you can save power if you use a lower level charm that works for that type of mob.

So for example the level 4 charm can be used on humanoids, and it uses very low power. So if you have the training in light magic and plus to skill from items you can charm the same level humanoid with the level 4 and level 42

Yeah, I realize that but is it worth the effort when you could say spec Serenity 1 to offset that consumption? I get the premise though of how the spells are implemented though for the mana per pulse.
Tue 10 Nov 2020 4:04 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Kappu wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 3:38 PM
Yeah, I realize that but is it worth the effort when you could say spec Serenity 1 to offset that consumption? I get the premise though of how the spells are implemented though for the mana per pulse.

Serenity won't keep up with the second charm, let alone the sixth; if you insist on always using the max level charm for pets that can be charmed with the lower level ones, for "simplicity," you're going to be hurting for power all the time.
Tue 10 Nov 2020 5:53 PM by Bradekes
Kappu wrote:

The benefit can be explained easy. What's the risk of going OOM? All of a sudden you have a mob on you and no way to get it off of you. If you lose charm this way it drops the charm spell and it stops being a chant and you'll either have to waste QC to recharm your pet or run away from it. IMO going OOM isn't an option for menta as the risk is way too high for the reward of laziness
Tue 10 Nov 2020 6:41 PM by Kappu
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 4:04 PM
Kappu wrote:

Serenity won't keep up with the second charm, let alone the sixth; if you insist on always using the max level charm for pets that can be charmed with the lower level ones, for "simplicity," you're going to be hurting for power all the time.

Except I ran around with nothing but a Combined Regen (no Serenity) last night and using the level 42 Charm and it never drained my power... I sat at 99% given after killing a few mobs the amount of time to regen mana out of combat took a bit longer, but I still made headway. This is why I was asking for a veteran Mentalist who's played enough to actually have tested these things. I never claimed I wanted "simplicity", I asked about the offset of power consumption with Serenity 1 and the theory that maybe there wasn't a need to actually use the lower tier spells. It's also 1 tick difference from the first to the 6th Charm as far as power and from what I can tell most of the best pets are in the 3-5 range.

Now you regen mana base at 1 per tick, Yellow POM is 4 a tick, and Serenity 1 is 1 a tick so every second you will regen 6 mana a tick... Can you see where I'm headed with this? Charm is 3,4,5 and 7 per pulse which happens every 5 seconds (Technically 4.5 I believe) so I'm in theory ticking for 7 mana every 5 seconds (assuming I use the highest charm) for the pulse and regening 6 so yes I'd lose 1 during the 5-second pulse but regain that said mana prior to the next pulse on a charm.

Thus the reason I asked for a veteran Mentalist player who's played the class and hopefully tested these things.
Tue 10 Nov 2020 8:17 PM by gotwqqd
Cast the lowest needed
Tue 10 Nov 2020 9:51 PM by Bradekes
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 8:17 PM
Cast the lowest needed

This! In PVE you power regen may not matter and you may not notice the issue so much, but in RVR power conservation is real. My menta is mana not light so I don't have as much experience to provide but I do charm mobs with my 4 in light magic and it's annoying even having a green mob attack you because you went OOP.
Tue 10 Nov 2020 11:17 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Kappu wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 6:41 PM
Thus the reason I asked for a veteran Mentalist player who's played the class and hopefully tested these things.

Which I have.

I'm talking about RvR, extended fights, where regen is destroyed, not walking around killing "a few mobs" PvE to make myself believe this will work.
Wed 16 Dec 2020 2:44 PM by opossum12
Kappu wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020 6:41 PM
Except I ran around with nothing but a Combined Regen (no Serenity) last night and using the level 42 Charm and it never drained my power... I sat at 99% given after killing a few mobs the amount of time to regen mana out of combat took a bit longer, but I still made headway. This is why I was asking for a veteran Mentalist who's played enough to actually have tested these things. I never claimed I wanted "simplicity", I asked about the offset of power consumption with Serenity 1 and the theory that maybe there wasn't a need to actually use the lower tier spells. It's also 1 tick difference from the first to the 6th Charm as far as power and from what I can tell most of the best pets are in the 3-5 range.

Now you regen mana base at 1 per tick, Yellow POM is 4 a tick, and Serenity 1 is 1 a tick so every second you will regen 6 mana a tick... Can you see where I'm headed with this? Charm is 3,4,5 and 7 per pulse which happens every 5 seconds (Technically 4.5 I believe) so I'm in theory ticking for 7 mana every 5 seconds (assuming I use the highest charm) for the pulse and regening 6 so yes I'd lose 1 during the 5-second pulse but regain that said mana prior to the next pulse on a charm.

You always use the lowest charm possible, because the highest charm offers no benefit aside from allowing you to charm other mob types.

There is no benefit in being lazy. Sure you can invest some points in serenity and compensate some of the added power cost, but why do that when you can just put all the charms on a secondary bar and hit them all in under a second? You could then spend these points in serenity and use them elsewhere where it matters.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics