How to spec a Champ and what else do I need to know? :)

Started 21 Sep 2020
by Jiraishin
in Hibernia
Hey all,
during the PvP event I leveled up a Champ to 50 and I like it.

I'd like to know how to spec a Champ for group RvR, solo RvR (this includes 1on1) and for PvE group farming (that might include DS runs).
I can't create a weaponless Champ template because it's simply too expensive and I might not be able to cap everything (because I heard it is harder to create one than for the SB or Skald). So I thought about 1 or 2 diffrent temps regarding RvR/PvE.

Thanks a lot in advance. I appreciate all your useful answers
Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:36 PM by Gildar
Here champ play mostly solo ...

His plus are strong debuff ... weakness no stoicism ....

Common spec is 50 valor 50 LW rest party or 42 shield 50 valor rest blades

As a champ for you is not simple find a grp ... in rvr or pve... for pve anyway you must be specced shield

TP: very expensive also not weaponless because, like all hybrids, you have many many things to cap.

But with some rank under the belt ... champ is a monster killer

GL
Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:33 PM by Jiraishin
Gildar wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:36 PM
Here champ play mostly solo ...

His plus are strong debuff ... weakness no stoicism ....

Common spec is 50 valor 50 LW rest party or 42 shield 50 valor rest blades

As a champ for you is not simple find a grp ... in rvr or pve... for pve anyway you must be specced shield

TP: very expensive also not weaponless because, like all hybrids, you have many many things to cap.

But with some rank under the belt ... champ is a monster killer

GL

Hey thanks for the answer. Well yes that sounds like I will do 2 temps. Sure you have to cap acuity, str, dex, quick, const but I think if one temp is capped with LW, Valor and Parry and the other temp is capped with shield, valor and blades it wouldnt be so expensive for 1 temp, would it? At least on Midgard for Skald its around 50 platin with as many stats to cap as the champ. I admit I dont know the prices in hibernia.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:53 PM by Freedomcall
For solo RvR, 50Valor, 42shield, 39LW and rest parry.
You can also slightly drop LW for slightly higher parry cuz parry means something on 1v1.

For small or 8man, 10blades is a must for side snare.
And you might benefit more with 50LW 50Valor if you have another melee that can slam.
So there are 2 options:
1. 50Valor, 42shield, 38LW, 10blades
2. 50Valor, 50LW, 10blades, rest some shield for guard/engage and then parry

For PvE, you won't use LW at all.
I suggest you get 50Valor and then focus more on shield/parry.
I am not sure how much blades you should get as a champ, but I had no problem being a main tank as a Hero in DS only with 10 blades.
What people expect from you is to hold aggro and be the meatshield.
Get the 2.5 speed blades and spam taunt style.
I guess 42+ shield and 20+ parry will be pretty nice for group PvE.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 11:53 PM by Jiraishin
Freedomcall wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:53 PM
You can also slightly drop LW for slightly higher parry cuz parry means something on 1v1.

And you might benefit more with 50LW 50Valor if you have another melee that can slam.
So there are 2 options:

I am not sure how much blades you should get as a champ, but I had no problem being a main tank as a Hero in DS only with 10 blades.

Hey thanks as well for your answer. I dont understand "For solo RvR, 50Valor, 42shield, 39LW and rest parry." That means you have a shield but no 1h weapon styles? how does that work and whats the diffrence to solo with 50LW, 50Valor rest parry?
Tue 22 Sep 2020 12:11 AM by Kurbsen
best all around spec that'll work for 8 man and solo is:

50 valor
50 lw
10 blades
23 shield ( or 27 )
17 parry ( or 10 )

50 valor is a must, if you go anything under it you are hindering yourself. Red str/con debuff is too strong and also gives you the best str/con buff for yourself in game. 50 lw is also a must because you need all the damage you can get and annihilation is way too good of a style not to have. With 23(27) shield you still can numb people to bait a purge or even numb then quick side snare from 10 blades. Remember to practice your shield swapping between every hit. Always keep your shield out to block enemy attacks, then swap to your 2h and style when your swing timer is ready. Also practice your run thru back stuns to maximize your damage from the class.. Run through enemy, hit face immediately and then simultaneously queue up annihilation for back stun. ( I made a macro to queue up backstun and my anytime, so if I fail my backstun, I still get an anytime off)
Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:23 AM by Noashakra
Best champions go 50 valor 39 LW 42 shield for solo.
The thing is you switch to your shield between hits to increase your defense between hits. You never use the 1h.

For groups there is only one spec, 50 LW 42 shield 38 valor and 10 blade for the side peel.
Tue 22 Sep 2020 9:13 AM by Jiraishin
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:23 AM
The thing is you switch to your shield between hits to increase your defense between hits. You never use the 1h.

For groups there is only one spec, 50 LW 42 shield 38 valor and 10 blade for the side peel.

Is there any reason you go 50LW 42Shield 38Valor and 10Blades instead of 38LW, 42Shield, 50Vales and 10Blades?
Tue 22 Sep 2020 9:23 AM by Freedomcall
Jiraishin wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 11:53 PM
Freedomcall wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:53 PM

So there are 2 options:

Hey thanks as well for your answer. I dont understand "For solo RvR, 50Valor, 42shield, 39LW and rest parry." That means you have a shield but no 1h weapon styles? how does that work and whats the diffrence to solo with 50LW, 50Valor rest parry?

42shield is to numb/slam your opponent, and to swap to shield between your 2h swings.
You won't swing your 1h weapon on 1v1.

And you get rear 9sec stun style with crazy damage at 50LW, so sometimes people say that slam is not needed even on 1v1.
Although that can be true in some cases against people not very good at duel(people just sticking to you during the whole fight or just standing still),
it is not that easy to land rear style to people who are experienced, and even harder against stealthers who can perma snare+disease.
So I personally think 42 shield for slam is a must in 1v1 pov.
Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:34 AM by inoeth
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:23 AM

for what 38 valor? 37 would make sense, 38 is wasted
Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:07 PM by Kurbsen
please dont gimp yourself and go 38 valor.. 42 shield is nice sure.. but as champion youre not the main peeler. You can still guard and have a 30% blockrate or so with 27 shield and numb/sidesnare.. but in groups your role is pure dps, keep enemy tanks full debuffed, and debuff str/con on your MA target.
Wed 23 Sep 2020 12:16 PM by Jiraishin
Hey all thanks for all the answer I feel a bit confused right now.

For solo we have 2 possible specs if I recall correctly: 50LW, 50Valor, rest Parry or 39LW, 50Valor, 42Shield, rest Parry

And for groups: 50LW, 50Valor, rest parry (like solo spec because somebody said you do only damage in groups as champs + debuffs) or 50LW, 37Valor, 42Shield, 10Blades, rest parry?

Thanks all for the good information but I still dont know whats the way to go for the champ spec. Is it that hard to decide of what to spec. When I compare it with Skald its mostly pretty obvious what you want to go for.
Sat 26 Sep 2020 4:59 PM by gotwqqd
Kurbsen wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020 12:11 AM

50 valor
50 lw
10 blades
23 shield ( or 27 )
17 parry ( or 10 )

50 valor is a must, if you go anything under it you are hindering yourself. Red str/con debuff is too strong and also gives you the best str/con buff for yourself in game. 50 lw is also a must because you need all the damage you can get and annihilation is way too good of a style not to have. With 23(27) shield you still can numb people to bait a purge or even numb then quick side snare from 10 blades. Remember to practice your shield swapping between every hit. Always keep your shield out to block enemy attacks, then swap to your 2h and style when your swing timer is ready. Also practice your run thru back stuns to maximize your damage from the class.. Run through enemy, hit face immediately and then simultaneously queue up annihilation for back stun. ( I made a macro to queue up backstun and my anytime, so if I fail my backstun, I still get an anytime off)
Why a rear style shield attack when you have a LW style that does the same thing better?

I think a good spec would be
50 valor/LW
26 Parry
7 Shield
10 Blades
Sat 26 Sep 2020 9:35 PM by Kurbsen
gotwqqd wrote:
Sat 26 Sep 2020 4:59 PM
Kurbsen wrote:

50 valor
50 lw
10 blades
23 shield ( or 27 )
17 parry ( or 10 )

Why a rear style shield attack when you have a LW style that does the same thing better?

50 valor/LW
26 Parry
7 Shield
10 Blades

you’re not using the rear style in shield. it’s for block rate. If you aren’t shield swapping. you’re doing it wrong.
Sun 27 Sep 2020 1:52 AM by gotwqqd
Kurbsen wrote:
Sat 26 Sep 2020 9:35 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Kurbsen wrote:

50 valor
50 lw
10 blades
23 shield ( or 27 )
17 parry ( or 10 )

50 valor/LW
26 Parry
7 Shield
10 Blades

you’re not using the rear style in shield. it’s for block rate. If you aren’t shield swapping. you’re doing it wrong.
Always hated the ability to swap a shield in instantly between weapon swings
Mon 28 Sep 2020 10:35 AM by inoeth
gotwqqd wrote:
Kurbsen wrote:

50 valor
50 lw
10 blades
23 shield ( or 27 )
17 parry ( or 10 )

50 valor/LW
26 Parry
7 Shield
10 Blades

i went with that spec now and killed hogge with that yesterday without shield swapping though im only rr4 atm and he is rr10
Wed 14 Oct 2020 5:11 PM by Horus
What about this for a solo Champ looking to hunt assassins and other solo gankers...

50 Valor
45 LW
29 Shield
20 Parry

The thought process is that the 29 shield style is a stun after block.
So engage the target with shield
After block stun shield 29 style
Switch to LW and slide to side and Demolish Then go into the anytimer haste debuff and front snare styles

Still has a little bit of parry for defense. Decently high LW for good dmg and full valor

Thoughts?
Thu 15 Oct 2020 4:01 PM by stewbeedoo
Horus wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 5:11 PM
What about this for a solo Champ looking to hunt assassins and other solo gankers...

50 Valor
45 LW
29 Shield
20 Parry

The thought process is that the 29 shield style is a stun after block.
So engage the target with shield
After block stun shield 29 style
Switch to LW and slide to side and Demolish Then go into the anytimer haste debuff and front snare styles

Still has a little bit of parry for defense. Decently high LW for good dmg and full valor

Thoughts?
Personally I run 50 valor, 42 Shield, 39 LW rest Parry and have absolutely no problem killing assassins.

Slam, switch to LW, strafe to side, Obliteration/Demolish, if they purge drop ST to reset stun timer, repeat. Quite cheesy but effective.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics