Merc build?

Started 6 Feb 2019
by Defiler
in Albion
What weapons should a Merc dps with? Going 42 Shield and...?/DW? Any suggestions for the skill split here on Phoenix?
Wed 6 Feb 2019 6:23 AM by Cadebrennus
42 Shield
50 DW
Composite 52 base weapon (your choice of weapon)
rest in Parry
Wed 6 Feb 2019 7:19 AM by Koljar
Keep in mind that slash and thrust get AT so you'll end up with a few more points in parry. Not much bit it's something...
Wed 6 Feb 2019 12:02 PM by Algarakai
Don t forget the 6sec. Stun on Anytime (bludgeon/contusion) in the Crush Lines
It s quite interesting both in pve and pvp
Crush Rules !!!!
Mon 18 Mar 2019 7:47 PM by DinoTriz
Koljar wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 7:19 AM
Keep in mind that slash and thrust get AT so you'll end up with a few more points in parry. Not much bit it's something...

There's no AT on this server
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:42 AM by Turtle006
DinoTriz wrote:
Mon 18 Mar 2019 7:47 PM
Koljar wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 7:19 AM

There's no AT on this server

You get the AT points for free, so they are correct that an AT line will get more parry.
Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:46 AM by dancingvicpie
Algarakai wrote:
Wed 6 Feb 2019 12:02 PM
Don t forget the 6sec. Stun on Anytime (bludgeon/contusion) in the Crush Lines
It s quite interesting both in pve and pvp
Crush Rules !!!!

I hoped to have Stun on Anytime too. but I couldn't turn my back on my lovely inconnu...
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:33 PM by k3mra
What about ...
34 slash
34 thrust
44 da
42 shield
9 parry

... for higher rr Merc?

You would always have the + dmg for armor weakness or not?

Back in the days i ran also with 50 dw but was solo most time.
In a 8v8 Szenario i can imagine it would be that Bad since you dont want your target to bleed so it dont break cc
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:45 PM by Cami
k3mra wrote:
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:33 PM
What about ...
34 slash
34 thrust
44 da
42 shield
9 parry

Never ever drop your dual wield below 50 unless it is for a specific utility style (e.g. 44 thrust).
if you want to go split spec, going 50 dw and dropping slash and thrust to 30 each will give you more damage than your suggested spec.
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:57 PM by k3mra
Cami wrote:
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:45 PM
k3mra wrote:
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:33 PM
What about ...
34 slash
34 thrust
44 da
42 shield
9 parry

Never ever drop your dual wield below 50 unless it is for a specific utility style (e.g. 44 thrust).
if you want to go split spec, going 50 dw and dropping slash and thrust to 30 each will give you more damage than your suggested spec.

Why does it lower dmg? I thought the max dmg is caped or the benefits are heavily reduced above 61... if so then 44+11+6(rr7) would be enough to reach that
Tue 19 Mar 2019 2:18 PM by Cami
k3mra wrote:
Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:57 PM
Why does it lower dmg? I thought the max dmg is caped or the benefits are heavily reduced above 61... if so then 44+11+6(rr7) would be enough to reach that
I have to admit, I only tested with Armsman Pole split spec which might be a different mechanic. So hitting a doll 400 times with each Merc spec might be the only clear answer.
Tue 19 Mar 2019 4:33 PM by k3mra
Cami wrote:
Tue 19 Mar 2019 2:18 PM
k3mra wrote:
I have to admit, I only tested with Armsman Pole split spec which might be a different mechanic. So hitting a doll 400 times with each Merc spec might be the only clear answer.

xD .. ok i will try to remember if i hit rr7 with my Merc some far away day
Wed 4 Dec 2019 9:41 PM by Ipponme
Reviving a dead post....

I have leveled up with crush, and rely on the 6 sec stun for positionals. What about going 15 crush for bludgeon 6 sec stun...freeing up alot of slam spec points, maybe:

50 DW
44 Thrust
15 Crush
36 Parry

Or would the 15 spec in crush make it hard to hit the target?

If 15 crush is too low, would you need 50 (or 51) composite to maximize chance to hit?
Fri 6 Dec 2019 5:25 PM by Ajvar
If i can add my 2 cents:

- if you wanna run with groups 42 shield is a must,your role will be mainly peeleing and dmg.
- if you plan to solo most of the time,this is just my opinion, 50/50/28 works pretty fine,in 9/10 cases your enemies will purge stun + Dual Shadows is really nice style and easy to land.

- Debeli
Sun 8 Dec 2019 1:03 AM by Gainsboreaux
k3mra wrote:

Total Phoenix noob here and it's been a while since I played live so I might be very wrong here. I remember from my time on a rr9+ nightshade that secondary weapon skills (Dw, Cs, CD, Two-hand) did not really ever cap on damage. Even at high RR, 50 + x CD or CS always provided more damage as well as more chance to avoid avoidance (hidden weapon skill that's not shown on the character sheet) than 44 or 39 specs. This was proven by independent testers at various points in live and I conducted my own limited tests that agree.

Whether or not there was diminishing returns after 61, I dont recall but if it was there, it wasnt a particularly strong effect.

Edit: This also depends on targets. Most of the testing I looked at and conducted was stealther vs stealther when high evade was an issue.
Mon 9 Dec 2019 8:15 AM by Sepplord
main weapon styles also don't cap on damage....

the speccs that go to weaponspecc+11+RRbonus=52 for "cap" all ONLY use styles from different lines than the weapon line

If you use styles from the mainweapon line, then speccing the mainweaponline will increase your damage for every speccpoint
Thu 26 Dec 2019 11:56 PM by Cadebrennus
I've been super busy with RL but trying to find time to come back (I miss keep assaults with defenders to attack.)

Here's what I ran with great success when I did have time to play (spec from memory so it may not be exact)

50 DW (use for most styles)
44 Thrust (use only for the 2 part anytime snare)
23 Shield (use positional stuns backed up by Numb)
leftover in Parry

I love Thrust the best for Alb because it's neutral to all of Hib and has a bonus to most of Mid. The ones you have a penalty to in Mid have lower ABS anyways so it evens out. When I'm shield swapping I'll typically use the shield stun immediately followed by the snare then work then with positionals. If I know they're stun immune then I'll go straight for the snare chain.
Thu 2 Jan 2020 12:48 AM by MacPrior
With thrust a Merc has 23 Points less in main weapon attribute 184 compared with 225 for strg-weapons like slash and crash. So, with strg wapon build a merc will have
like aug strg. 5 for free. Its plenty for a mg dealer, I think.
Additional a merc with slash will have the 29th - 50th style chain with strongest in the game to hit bonus for light or heavy melee.
Actually I will don't care about lack of peel for merc, melees should attack in assist train and for snare and stun is a reaver or an armsman there.

But merc can skill the hammer line for open 6s anytimer stun and use for damege the dw--line styles and use for snare a side style. So, absolutely no reason for thrust skill. And no reason for split skill. Just 50weapon/50DW and provide the damage.
Thu 2 Jan 2020 1:07 AM by Cadebrennus
MacPrior wrote:
Thu 2 Jan 2020 12:48 AM
With thrust a Merc has 23 Points less in main weapon attribute 184 compared with 225 for strg-weapons like slash and crash. So, with strg wapon build a merc will have
like aug strg. 5 for free. Its plenty for a mg dealer, I think.
Additional a merc with slash will have the 29th - 50th style chain with strongest in the game to hit bonus for light or heavy melee.
Actually I will don't care about lack of peel for merc, melees should attack in assist train and for snare and stun is a reaver or an armsman there.

But merc can skill the hammer line for open 6s anytimer stun and use for damege the dw--line styles and use for snare a side style. So, absolutely no reason for thrust skill. And no reason for split skill. Just 50weapon/50DW and provide the damage.

Don't forget that with a high dex race (like Saracen) you have more WS for Slam/etc. as well as a better chance to block and Parry
Thu 2 Jan 2020 2:42 AM by MacPrior
Cadebrennus wrote:
Thu 2 Jan 2020 1:07 AM
Don't forget that with a high dex race (like Saracen) you have more WS for Slam/etc. as well as a better chance to block and Parry

I ve never seen other WA then for main Weapon in this game.

And as for chance to Block/Parry those depend on the Shield Spec and the Parry Spec to main part. Your dex will be added to the block/Evade chance too, but devided by 100 in the formula.

So it is just a very small value especially compared to main weapon ability which is damage, chance to hit the enemy, the chance to penetrate his defence, and also be hited by enemy too.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics