Re: No swapping in weapons from your inventoy in a fight and poisons become instant-spells with a shared cooldown-timer

Adwaenyth wrote:
Sun 2 May 2021 4:48 PM
Consider the survival rate against small / 8 / zerg as a solo. That and the archers being much harder to play effectively against assassins obviously gives assassins a very high survivability rate compared to all other classes when solo. It's not that assassins have such a high survivability because the switch mechanic is easy but because they are the least likely to just get killed by every passerby there is.

Yes. The problem is that, for a number of reasons, they don't actually trade off a meaningful amount of combat ability for stealth on this server. On the top end of players this is obviously unrelated to /switch, but there is a large swathe of the current assassin population that would struggle without the commands and certainly perform much better than they otherwise would with it in place.

Re: No swapping in weapons from your inventoy in a fight and poisons become instant-spells with a shared cooldown-timer

DJ2000 wrote:
Sun 2 May 2021 1:10 PM
For the Love of god, then why are they still a thing? Why do they even exist as they are now?
Why not simply combine these "absolutely braindead" chants into one?
Why not implement a macro similar to /switch? Call it /chant, where you can load your chants into, which you then activate by pressing the macro once.

While I can see the macro being added being a viable solution to remove the need for AHK, they can't really add them all into one spell for the simple reason that there is a world of difference between having all your effects up for 62.5% of the time vs 100% of the time (recast delay vs duration); the classes would need to be rebalanced from the ground up if we gave them 100% uptime on their chants (that, or the chants themselves would have to be reduced numerically to the point of uselessness).
<Countered By Skill>
Actively Recruiting North American Time Zone Players: https://discord.gg/AhR6pU4

Magesty wrote:
Sun 2 May 2021 9:50 PM
Yes. The problem is that, for a number of reasons, they don't actually trade off a meaningful amount of combat ability for stealth on this server. On the top end of players this is obviously unrelated to /switch, but there is a large swathe of the current assassin population that would struggle without the commands and certainly perform much better than they otherwise would with it in place.

Well class balance being what it is, most difficulties I've got against offtanks (zerker, merc) and fulltanks (arms, warri) just like I had on pre-ToA Live-Servers.

The biggest problem that solo players have outside stealthers and speedsters is that there are just a tiny few hotspots that are viable for them most of the time. Areas that are more frequented by players are likely to also have small / 8man groups run around in hope of finding easy pickings. Beno area in particular has the problem that almost every alb and his mother will come running if you engage in a 1v1 fight, thus this is also a problematic location, but Bled and DC aren't that much better.

With a lot of players in the rp/h being most important mindset, I get it why non-stealth/speed soloers aren't very happy that enemies they will most likely encounter are always the same classes. However that is less of a class balance / QOL issue.

I'm however not really sure if there is a way to fix that issue. Unless you want to make massive class changes to all assassins that would require extensive rebalancing, the only thing you can do is give people incentives to go elsewhere. The problem is, what incentives that will not be vulnerable to being exploited as rp farming methods on the one hand but enough so that there is a healthy community of soloers wanting to go after them without making it a /bow duelling arena.
Phoenix
Conneletha - Enchanter
Adwaenyth - Nightshade
and more...

Logres
Adwaenyth - Nightshade

Magesty wrote:
Sun 2 May 2021 9:50 PM
Adwaenyth wrote:
Sun 2 May 2021 4:48 PM
Consider the survival rate against small / 8 / zerg as a solo. That and the archers being much harder to play effectively against assassins obviously gives assassins a very high survivability rate compared to all other classes when solo. It's not that assassins have such a high survivability because the switch mechanic is easy but because they are the least likely to just get killed by every passerby there is.

People act like if assassins were weak on normal servers. They were shredding everything because of the dot could be reapplied with each swing, and people just had to chain garrot to win. They are definitly not overtuned compared to live here.

The community is so bad on this server, they make most visible stop.
People /rofl and /rude visible soloer for no reasons after zerging them. If you want to kill the solo game completly, nerf the assassins, and you will have nothing left.

I don't play solo anymore, it was too stressful for me the past times I played. You chain rel vs 3+ all the time, 0 fun.

Noashakra wrote:
Mon 3 May 2021 9:19 AM
The community is so bad on this server, they make most visible stop.
People /rofl and /rude visible soloer for no reasons after zerging them. If you want to kill the solo game completly, nerf the assassins, and you will have nothing left.

This.

Honestly if you look at the results of assassins in the 1v1 arena its fairly obvious they arent overtuned because of the presence of /switch.

Give a competent soloer the ability to play a visi class solo and theyll do well, if not better than on their sins. A few have made a bit of a move and done so but the server attitude is so toxic to visi solos or solos in general that this is what u get.

On top of every roaming group steamrolling visi solos you got 5man hunter grps camping bled 12hrs a day, you got 8mans of rangers and ns’s camping dc waiting til their timers are up to vanish at first sign of trouble, you got the minstrel brigade at beno...

None of whom fight each other, they just go and look to farm solos/smaller numbers than them and rarely, if ever have to go and fight each other, because they just wait to prey on the people who would rather go out/adventure/play the game.

ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Sun 2 May 2021 11:30 PM
While I can see the macro being added being a viable solution to remove the need for AHK, they can't really add them all into one spell for the simple reason that there is a world of difference between having all your effects up for 62.5% of the time vs 100% of the time (recast delay vs duration); the classes would need to be rebalanced from the ground up if we gave them 100% uptime on their chants (that, or the chants themselves would have to be reduced numerically to the point of uselessness).
I know that. Trust me, there are 1000 ways on how to deal with any of this.

My complaint wasn't even about these "braindead" chants in itself.

It was about gruenes double standards. (him as a person, not as a gm)

On one side the /switch macro was implemented, because he "reject(s) the idea of clunky and weird user input being something that should be in any way expected or even rewarded". The manual weapon swap, that is.
Because, "without macroing it was used and would be used" anyway, so at least make it simple to use then.
Then, going on about how "not doing any weird contortions or incantations to actually do them" as to why this is a change for the better. Presenting the Minstrel, of all things, as an example as it was "utterly stupid to play because you're not really playing the character but fighting the archaic daoc interface".
On the other side, he complains about the "absolutely braindead idea of instant chant swapping on pala and skald" and basically promotes the use of AHK/macros to deal with that? Looks like "not doing any weird contortions or incantations to actually do them" doesn't seem to happen here; or the fact that "without macroing it was used and would be used" anyway is not a factor this time...

THEN, and i like this one even more, he is displeased by "the currently perfectly valid 2h + shield swap abuse", and i guess the DW+shield one as well....but I'm only guessing.
But is trying to sell the fact, that the "strafing to get positionals off" as a form of "(movement) skill" to be achieved by the players.
And to remind you: An abuse of the Game mechanics where you can hit an opponnent in an angle to not only get a positional style, but also to circumvent any of the enemy defenses, as you are hitting them outside their defense block/parry/evade angles (light tanks have a 360-evade).
And to top it all off, i guess this also is considered to be a "clunky and weird user input," so the help of AHK is also OK to make it easier.

Irkeno wrote:
Mon 3 May 2021 9:51 AM
Honestly if you look at the results of assassins in the 1v1 arena its fairly obvious they arent overtuned because of the presence of /switch.

Give a competent soloer the ability to play a visi class solo and theyll do well, if not better than on their sins.
If that data is representative, the only conclusion would be to buff the assassin classes. (unless they were never supposed to win in the first place)
If that data is not representative, then your comment is useless.

Irkeno wrote:
Mon 3 May 2021 9:51 AM
On top of every roaming group steamrolling visi solos you got 5man hunter grps camping bled 12hrs a day, you got 8mans of rangers and ns’s camping dc waiting til their timers are up to vanish at first sign of trouble, you got the minstrel brigade at beno...

None of whom fight each other, they just go and look to farm solos/smaller numbers than them and rarely, if ever have to go and fight each other, because they just wait to prey on the people who would rather go out/adventure/play the game.
What is there to fight, hmm?
The sheer mention of DC, Beno or Bled area in the same sentence with "solo" is a joke.

You do realize if ppl would "watch and wait their turn" would cause bans? Unless the server hosts less than 100 players total, there is 0 chance to not break the rules, when a visi shows up at these border keeps/bridges/dock.

Don't get me wrong here, the solo visi experience is dreadful at best. For a LOT of reasons.
But complaining about it, when trying to get fights around these keeps, is delusional.

The problem of the /switch (and macros) for assassing is that it is quite easy for them to spam the target with any type of effects without any effort and without any downside, they need just to prepare their weapons before the fight and they are done. If a warrior swap to 2h from 1h+shield, he has more damage but less defence and slower swing rate. So in this case the player needs to evaluate what he needs in that moment. Assassins just spam you any effect to dead using different weapons without any negative side doing that (a part of the strong ego of some of them )

I get the whole justification for AHK that the DAOC interface is shonky at best, it is at least a level playing field. The /switch command is a great addition to the game but having styles and back-ups etc essentially automated with 1 button press but only with 3rd party software is just not fair. You're supposed to anticipate actions in a fight, probably even more so in a 1v1, selecting the correct styles when/where/who and being able to pull them off (positionals etc) is the entire point.

Frankly, those that win with AHK, do not win.

Not to mention, many players push well past the rules on AHK use, which is largely undetectable.
Pagan Death Cult