Bring back TOA without the Artiifacts/MLs

In order to keep things interesting, I believe we need more PvE content in game and more non RoG options for templates. I think it would be great to bring back TOA and just not implement the artifacts and either overhaul or not implement the MLs as well. Maybe make the artifact skins unlockable through the encounters instead of buyable etc. There were a lot of amazing encounters and great non-artifact equipment that could a great addition to the server. The only reasons people did not like TOA was because of the imbalance artifacts and MLs brought to RVR as well as the grind for scrolls/arti xp that came with it. If you take those things out, you add many hours of new content. More PvE players leads to more RvR players and a healthy population.

Re: Bring back TOA without the Artiifacts/MLs

New PvE encounters are currently in the works. Which can be way better tuned, balanced and maintained then the plethora of ToA encounters ever could be.
There is also the aspect of adding basically 90% useless maps/npcs, that would just take up Server resources.
If you break ToA Features down, then it always leads to the fact that ToA itself is unnecessary, as evrry aspect can be introduced in other ways more easily and efficiantly.

DJ2000 wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 4:31 PM
New PvE encounters are currently in the works. Which can be way better tuned, balanced and maintained then the plethora of ToA encounters ever could be.
There is also the aspect of adding basically 90% useless maps/npcs, that would just take up Server resources.
If you break ToA Features down, then it always leads to the fact that ToA itself is unnecessary, as evrry aspect can be introduced in other ways more easily and efficiantly.

Agreed. TOA was a mistake. Why would you want to bring back those bad memories?

Smricha1 wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 4:40 PM
DJ2000 wrote:

Agreed. TOA was a mistake. Why would you want to bring back those bad memories?
Since many people have good memories? I liked ToA encounters and PvE.

I think a lot of people have very good memories from ToA if you remove the aspects that had a negative impact on the rest of the game as a whole (i.e. artifact grinds, MLs being required to compete). To this day it remains some of the best PvE content I've played in an MMO, in large part because there was a huge amount of discovery to be done by players since Mythic was very secretive about the whole thing. That secrecy obviously came at a cost, since the lack of a large beta for it meant a ton of stuff didn't get the amount of testing it required. Anyone who ran ML2 at launch can attest to how broken it was until the first couple patches.

I still remember when people finally figured out that the mysterious glowy/wavy cylindrical shape that randomly showed up for a few hours in a random spot across ToA was actually a portal to a completely new, secret Master Level. It was a realm-wide mad rush to find the entrances and beat the thing.

DJ2000 wrote:

I could not disagree with this more. If ToA is unnecessary then so is SI and most of the main continents that never see use. I respect whatever direction the devs decide to go in with the server, but I think viewing a space with some of the most interesting and fun encounters as unnecessary is a mistake. My best memories of PvE are from ToA and its encounters. Are they needed for DAoC to function? Of course not. Are they desired by people I know for a fact they are.

While I appreciate new PvE encounters, they scale of them is always very small. If we are taking ToA off the table, I and many other people I have talked to, would love to see more radiable content that takes more than 30 minutes to complete and has an impact on how you gear yourself etc.

The thing you do have to keep in mind is that the data needed to populate zones on DAoC freeshards isn't actually in the client and needs to be recreated by developers to the best of their ability, so just because ToA zones exist on this server doesn't mean any of the content in the zones does (and possibly some of the server-side mechanics). Populating ToA would be a huge undertaking unless there is already a publicly available source from another freeshard that actually did this in the past.

Takii wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 10:23 PM
The thing you do have to keep in mind is that the data needed to populate zones on DAoC freeshards isn't actually in the client and needs to be recreated by developers to the best of their ability, so just because ToA zones exist on this server doesn't mean any of the content in the zones does (and possibly some of the server-side mechanics). Populating ToA would be a huge undertaking unless there is already a publicly available source from another freeshard that actually did this in the past.

This is available already on other freehsards through DOL. I have done all the MLs and many artifact encounters etc on them and they all worked perfectly.

Throck wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 11:06 PM
Takii wrote:
Sun 28 Mar 2021 10:23 PM

This is available already on other freehsards through DOL. I have done all the MLs and many artifact encounters etc on them and they all worked perfectly.
The models probably the scripting not really. 1 ML a month would be awesome; )