Arena match making adjustments

Started 27 Mar 2021
by keen
in Suggestions
To make arena a bit more balanced in match making, I have a suggestion. What about having an algorithm to check win rates of teams and make it more likely that grps with similar win rates are matched together with a higher priority. Not sure what impact that would have on queue times, but I think it's more fun for everyone to fight against teams that perform similarly.
Sat 27 Mar 2021 3:33 PM by Nephamael
I think the que tries to do exactly that already.

After a time window of no enemy team found it will then check enemy teams with higher/lower winrates/ enemy teams of your own realm.
Thu 1 Apr 2021 1:02 PM by gruenesschaf
For the 1v1 arena it would be conceivable to just slap on an elo system but at the same time also not really worth it that much. For group vs group you have the problem that pretty much all of the popular rating mechanisms kind of break down on non fixed teams while at the same making it potentially more punishing to join / make new pugs if the rating ever becomes visible, nobody wants to be the bronze player that ofc is only held back by his team mates.
For 8v8 you also have the very limited amount of participating teams.

Right now for 8v8 you have a 2h timer before being able to encounter the same group again (in case of 8v8 5 accounts being the same would count as the same group), coupled with the reward for participating this should encourage even those who just want to try 8v8 to pug.
Mon 5 Apr 2021 8:53 AM by radix
gruenesschaf wrote:
Thu 1 Apr 2021 1:02 PM
For the 1v1 arena it would be conceivable to just slap on an elo system but at the same time also not really worth it that much. For group vs group you have the problem that pretty much all of the popular rating mechanisms kind of break down on non fixed teams while at the same making it potentially more punishing to join / make new pugs if the rating ever becomes visible, nobody wants to be the bronze player that ofc is only held back by his team mates.
For 8v8 you also have the very limited amount of participating teams.

Right now for 8v8 you have a 2h timer before being able to encounter the same group again (in case of 8v8 5 accounts being the same would count as the same group), coupled with the reward for participating this should encourage even those who just want to try 8v8 to pug.

What about a very simple Winner/Looser-Bracket?
My team wins - the next fight is against a group that also won their last fight (and vice versa).
That would at least increase the chance for average groups to be matches against equal groups.
Also I think the 2h timer for same group match up is too high with ~15 grps running in the 8v8 arena.
Thu 8 Apr 2021 12:34 AM by Nephamael
What about a very simple Winner/Looser-Bracket?
My team wins - the next fight is against a group that also won their last fight (and vice versa).
That would at least increase the chance for average groups to be matches against equal groups.

It could simply try to find equal win/loss rate for 1 min and then open to all. Most of the time this would still lead to open matchmaking, but those nice skill/lineup balanced fights every now and then would be a great morale boost for pugs or underpowered comps.

Also I think the 2h timer for same group match up is too high with ~15 grps running in the 8v8 arena.

I agree, i think no timer is needed here at all. Especially if the win/loss ratio is close it might be great to find a group again, where both sides can win.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics