Re: Old and New Frontiers Idea

i really dont know where these lies come from "of maps are smaller" and "of provides quicker action"
nf portal system/boats is so much faster than travel 4 maps by foot and nf maps are exactly the size of of maps, are exactly the size of every other daoc map....
still the same three people are not getting tired of claiming the same lies over and over again.
uthgard offers of maps so why dont you go and play there? let me guess: there are no ppl to play with there and do you know why? because of sucks!
Horg solo Hunter Einherjar Lone Enforcer ~42,8% solo kills
Eik solo Shadowblade Flammen Fru ~50% solo kills

newest project: Gael SlaveKnight rr4 Infiltrator (atm 52% solo kills )

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.

Why do these kinds of threads always get necro’d?

OF is an objectively worse design than NF when it comes to facilitating multiple styles of play. That’s all there is to it.

The boomers in these threads mainlining nostalgia and spewing hyperbole are a fairly straightforward example of a vocal minority.

There is a healthy and consistent population on Phoenix because the devs are competent, communicative, and have been willing to make “tough” decisions like implementing NF.

Magesty wrote:
Fri 9 Apr 2021 7:04 PM

OF is an objectively worse design than NF when it comes to facilitating multiple styles of play. That’s all there is to it.

The boomers in these threads mainlining nostalgia and spewing hyperbole are a fairly straightforward example of a vocal minority.

There is a healthy and consistent population on Phoenix because the devs are competent, communicative, and have been willing to make “tough” decisions like implementing NF.

A bit late to the party with this but wanted to comment as it is a big deal for lots of people still.

OF had it's negative areas as much as it had it's positive. The design was far better in my opinion as frontiers felt more like a frontier, as opposed to NF which is an oversized BG.

Nostalgia plays a huge part and I agree with that, but to say it is the only factor in people wanting it is totally wrong. I liked OF for the points made before. RVR was easier to access, keep takes were more simple and (objectively speaking) more fun as they could end more quickly.

I play Phoenix and I love it here, but I also do RVR on Uthgard and have done now for about a year. With the benefit of doing both I still insist on OF being better.

The point about Phoenix keeping a high population is not a great argument. The population has not grown on Phoenix post-NF change over. Had OF still been on offer here then other servers would not hold that appeal as it is more or less the only difference and preference.

As far as suggestions go, I always thought having 'event' style OF openings. Don't shut it down completely but don't make it primary since that that was the decision.

Cheers.

Magesty wrote:
Fri 9 Apr 2021 7:04 PM

A bit late to the party with this but wanted to comment as it is a big deal for lots of people still.

OF had it's negative areas as much as it had it's positive. The design was far better in my opinion as frontiers felt more like a frontier, as opposed to NF which is an oversized BG.

Nostalgia plays a huge part and I agree with that, but to say it is the only factor in people wanting it is totally wrong. I liked OF for the points made before. RVR was easier to access, keep takes were more simple and (objectively speaking) more fun as they could end more quickly.

I play Phoenix and I love it here, but I also do RVR on Uthgard and have done now for about a year. With the benefit of doing both I still insist on OF being better.

The point about Phoenix keeping a high population is not a great argument. The population has not grown on Phoenix post-NF change over. Had OF still been on offer here then other servers would not hold that appeal as it is more or less the only difference and preference.

As far as suggestions go, I always thought having 'event' style OF openings. Don't shut it down completely but don't make it primary since that that was the decision.

Cheers.