Yet another realm timer suggestion

Started 22 Feb 2021
by hopzx
in Suggestions
It seems to me the point of the realm timer is to prevent people from swapping realms to the dominant realm just to farm realm points. There *is* a problem, currently, for non-zerg play, where you get stuck on a realm if you don't plan well. This happens in many forms:

- I solo, and then want to play with my friends, but am realm locked.
- I am playing with my friends, and the only people playing 8v8 etc are on the same realm, so there is nobody to fight, and we all just log off.

What if, instead of a hard realm timer, there was a different approach:

- If you get a kill ungrouped, the realm timer is something like 15 minutes.
- If you get a kill in a group, but not in a BG, the realm timer is 30 minutes.
- If you are playing with the zerg, the realm timer is 4 hours.

Just a more flexible way to help us self regulate population, while not risking everyone just farming RPs on the powerful realm for the day.
Tue 23 Feb 2021 1:23 AM by boridi
How are they going to write the code to differentiate between getting a kill in a group and getting a kill while in the zerg? What if you are ungrouped but running with the zerg?
Tue 23 Feb 2021 1:37 AM by joshisanonymous
Personally not a fan of 4 hours let alone 15 or 30 minutes. Your suggestion implies that only zergers will swap to the winning side, but I have doubts about that.

In any case, I can understand that your preferred style is either solo or 8v8, but there are other things you can do as an 8man at least other than looking for /cleanfights with other 8mans, and in the meantime, more groups might log on in opposing realms.
Tue 23 Feb 2021 7:22 AM by Taln
Something has to be done because this timer is getting boring, just make it 30 mins to prevent spying for the zerg or just make it like you can only move away form the most populated realm and you cannot move in.
Fri 26 Feb 2021 4:25 PM by Reklewt
In my personal opinion, 4 hours is a happy medium. I think that groups need to start getting creative when there aren't a ton of GvG groups out. Drakula's group in NA, for example, will zerg bust when the action is slower.

As a soloer, I have to get creative when docks and bridges are a nightmare, and the more creative I get the more valuable my playing experience is. Rather than running to the docks and dying over and over again, I'll try camping a road to a task or zerg instead for a while until the quicker action at docks and bridges has reached a point where I can get fair fights.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be 'for the Realm', but I really don't think we want to edge closer and closer to the situation on Live, where I literally watched a guy stream himself playing on Hib, and he was in Discord with an Alb, and he told the Alb guy to keep kiting cause he would log on Alb and come help. That devastates everything about Dark Age of Camelot's RvR system.
Fri 26 Feb 2021 9:43 PM by keen
If Realm timer was sth like 1-2 hours i could play my solo a bit till 6pm or 7pm then still be able to join your friends for grp play at 8pm. They most likely will plan the grp between 1-2 hours ahead of prime time. If it's 4pm you most likely won't have a lot of time to log your solo toon or will miss the time frame groups usually build.
Also two hours can be filled with cooking rl stuff etc. if I need to wait 4 hours it's rather stay in one realm and sacrifice the one or the other.
So for me a 4 hours timer is more like I make the choice once a day, while with 1-2 hours I'd have the chance to choose to go for a second realm my friends are playing.
Fri 26 Feb 2021 10:16 PM by gotwqqd
keen wrote:
Fri 26 Feb 2021 9:43 PM
If Realm timer was sth like 1-2 hours i could play my solo a bit till 6pm or 7pm then still be able to join your friends for grp play at 8pm. They most likely will plan the grp between 1-2 hours ahead of prime time. If it's 4pm you most likely won't have a lot of time to log your solo toon or will miss the time frame groups usually build.
Also two hours can be filled with cooking rl stuff etc. if I need to wait 4 hours it's rather stay in one realm and sacrifice the one or the other.
So for me a 4 hours timer is more like I make the choice once a day, while with 1-2 hours I'd have the chance to choose to go for a second realm my friends are playing.
Or maybe if you anticipate wanting to immediately play with your friends you solo on that realm!
Sat 27 Feb 2021 9:36 AM by Lollie
Timer reset stone, can buy for bp/feathers/plat.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics