Suggestion: Limit all Pet Ranges to "fix" Pet Pathing.

Started 13 Jul 2020
by DJ2000
in Suggestions
Is it possible to limit Pet Ranges (attack Range, Leash Range to Master) in Towers, Keeps and Gates?

I mean, Pets are basically a big buggy mess all throughout DaoC History. No way to balance or fix them properly. While Pathing is just 1 aspect of it.

Pet Pathing is something that can't be fixed without breaking almost everything around it, tried it once myself. (DoL)
I don't care about whom the biggest offenders are, nor do i care whom the least offenders are.

Just a Suggestion to all Pet Classes, by taking the Animist approach as an inspiration.

Type 1: Cabbalist, Minstrel, Sorcerer, Bonedancer, Spiritmaster, Hunter, Enchanter, Druid, Mentalist
Type 2: Theurg
Type 3: Necromancer

Type 1:
Limit Leash Range at Tower/Keep to 1000 or less /// OR /// 750 with a Timer starting, by exceeding that limit, till Leash ends.
They may still go through Doorways like this, but they can't get that far; unless the Master is close to the Wall/Door/Tower/Keep himself.

Type 2:
Shorter Casting Range, 1500 or less, when near Tower/Keeps /// OR /// faster decaying rate, 2x, when near Tower/Keep.

Type 3:
Shorter Leash Range 500 or less, when near Tower/Keeps, /// OR /// 350 with a (grace) Timer to give the Necromant some leeway, when near Tower/Keeps
Tue 14 Jul 2020 10:35 AM by Seelixh
Is type 3 a joke? Play a necromancer and say 500/350 range again...
Tue 14 Jul 2020 11:11 AM by DJ2000
I do.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 6:32 AM by DJ2000
Bump
Wed 29 Jul 2020 7:15 AM by Neso
But why though, what would this solve?
You mention pathing, but I'm unsure how this ties to pet tether range when all you're doing is reducing range within a set area.

I've never seen pets as an issue in keep/tower raids. Maybe an annoyance, but never game changing... this idea seems to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 11:18 AM by Noashakra
The necro being able to give the perfect GA to the BG inside a keep is stupid.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 2:31 PM by LolaEbola
I agree. No class should be able to physically step outside the keep doors into a zerg, and be impossible to harm, especially when only one realm has that.

The other pet classes, I don’t see as a problem, but something should be done with necros.

Edit to add: What if necros pet just automatically followed you through gates, even when on stay? This would mean they still have a large chance of success doing exactly what they do now, but a well focused zerg could stand a chance of killing them.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 7:29 PM by Neso
LolaEbola wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 2:31 PM
Edit to add: What if necros pet just automatically followed you through gates, even when on stay? This would mean they still have a large chance of success doing exactly what they do now, but a well focused zerg could stand a chance of killing them.

And when the gates open?
The only reasonable fix would be to use the necro from live, where the shade and pet are combined.
Wed 29 Jul 2020 8:00 PM by LolaEbola
Neso wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 7:29 PM
LolaEbola wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 2:31 PM

And when the gates open?
The only reasonable fix would be to use the necro from live, where the shade and pet are combined.

Forgive me, I don’t understand the question. When the gates open, everyone’s vulnerable to attack. Am I missing something here?

That being said, I’m not against the change you suggested, just trying to understand the issue you’re bringing up.
Thu 30 Jul 2020 7:18 AM by Sepplord
i think he means, your suggestion only fixes a defending necro

the issue of a necro being able to freely go into towers/keeps to set GTs while the pet stays in the safety of the zerg is still a problem
Fri 31 Jul 2020 1:06 AM by LolaEbola
Ahhh yeah, I get it now. Fair point, I’m just spitballing here.
Thu 10 Sep 2020 8:16 PM by DJ2000
Bump this.
Fri 11 Sep 2020 2:47 PM by Horus
I've accepted pets ignore doors and such. It would not be so bad if the pets were not able to be healed through closed keep doors.

It is laughable to see an Abomination or cabbie pet in the lord room against a couple defenders basically unbeatable. Getting healed without LoS from outside the keep, ignored by the lord.

If a fix was going to be done, the Abomination needs to be the one getting the attention 1st. Then do something about the no LoS heals. I know working as designed now, but making it so pets could not be healed without LoS or through closed doors or something would be a move in the right direction.
Sun 13 Sep 2020 4:59 PM by daytonchambers
Horus wrote:
Fri 11 Sep 2020 2:47 PM
I've accepted pets ignore doors and such. It would not be so bad if the pets were not able to be healed through closed keep doors.

It is laughable to see an Abomination or cabbie pet in the lord room against a couple defenders basically unbeatable. Getting healed without LoS from outside the keep, ignored by the lord.

If a fix was going to be done, the Abomination needs to be the one getting the attention 1st. Then do something about the no LoS heals. I know working as designed now, but making it so pets could not be healed without LoS or through closed doors or something would be a move in the right direction.

100% this

This issue can't be fixed. I get that.

Pets going through the walls of keeps is only part of the problem. Pets going through walls and getting healed from OUTSIDE the keep making them all but unkillable is the problem.

put a damn LOS block on the pets so they cant rampage behind the wall while getting spam-healed
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics