Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

dearen75 wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 7:41 PM
So you are telling that the intercept rate is 50/50 totally random .. it could be 10 intercept in a row .. like 10 hits in a row and so on ?
What I don't understand (but this is maybe a question for who has created DAOC) is why SM should to be able to cast while being attacked in melee while all the others casters can't except using MOC or quickcast.

BD can execute spells without casting.
Necro shade can cast while its pet is being attacked.

By and large, DAOC has a consistent framework. However, Mythic was foolish enough to consistently break this framework when selling expansions.

Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

dearen75 wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 7:41 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 4:57 PM
SM pet intercept is one of the only chance based melee combat related things that still use the normal rng making streaks (positive or negative) possible. Adding streak avoidance here would actually change something rather fundamentally as then the caster would never be able to cast while being attacked.

The same argument can be made for guard / dashing, however, here the most common use case is guarding a target that is being assisted on to reduce the damage while peeling the melees making the interrupt prevention a minor and not really relied upon benefit whereas the sm pet intercept has solo play as the most common use case where it is somewhat expected that you can get out some nukes in some fights.

So you are telling that the intercept rate is 50/50 totally random .. it could be 10 intercept in a row .. like 10 hits in a row and so on ?
What I don't understand (but this is maybe a question for who has created DAOC) is why SM should to be able to cast while being attacked in melee while all the others casters can't except using MOC or quickcast.

Because that is what makes SM unique is that the pet intercepts and then the SM can cast. Why should BDs be allowed to insta life tap? They can life tap through melee and through normal casting interrupts. Why can minstrels stun and DD while getting interrupted. skalds can mezz, snare and DD. Champs can snare and DD.

The pet now takes 3X more damage than before. I have had plenty of times were I would have to recast the pet before the nerf. If your not killing the pet now than I am going to assume your doing something wrong. Look at the number of solo SM kills for the week. It has dropped down significantly. I don't know what solo players want. They want everyone to be the same class with the same abilities? Nerf minstrels next. Than skalds and necro and then the only solo we are going to see are stealthers. And good lord we know that most of them don't like to solo. A class without speed or stealth needs to be strong 1v1 if they have any chance of being successful solo.
Bombzz - SM

Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

Isavyr wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 8:45 PM
dearen75 wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 7:41 PM
So you are telling that the intercept rate is 50/50 totally random .. it could be 10 intercept in a row .. like 10 hits in a row and so on ?
What I don't understand (but this is maybe a question for who has created DAOC) is why SM should to be able to cast while being attacked in melee while all the others casters can't except using MOC or quickcast.

BD can execute spells without casting.
Necro shade can cast while its pet is being attacked.

By and large, DAOC has a consistent framework. However, Mythic was foolish enough to consistently break this framework when selling expansions.

Wait, are you telling me the Warlock was OP? Pfft I don't believe it...or the Vamp...or the Banshee...don't remember about the brawler though, or was it something else? I never played them much. The Vamp was amazing though I will admit. I love reading about how everyone talked about how easy it was to kill a Vamp, but when I played them I think I lost like once during a 1v1 and I fought almost every class. The one time I lost I still think he had outside help...
It's a game and a game is meant to be enjoyed by everyone, not just a select few who want everyone to play their way!

Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

borodino1812 wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 10:11 PM
Not sure I have ever played a class more OP than Warlock when the class released.

When Warlock first released there was nothing that compared.

That charge system was just stupidly OP and they destroyed everything.
It's a game and a game is meant to be enjoyed by everyone, not just a select few who want everyone to play their way!

Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

Quik wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 11:44 PM
borodino1812 wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 10:11 PM
Not sure I have ever played a class more OP than Warlock when the class released.

When Warlock first released there was nothing that compared.

That charge system was just stupidly OP and they destroyed everything.

Yup. Dumbest thing ever. You could get killed entirely by a DoT, and an instant chamber spell. After which the warlock would run away, and leave you to die if you didn't have a cure, or purge. You really couldn't win, even if you landed PA, and CD, they would just insta dump all the damage on you, and heal themselves lmao. Lots of OP stuff was released in the expansions... though I ended up loving Valkyrie once they added all the mending changes. Bainshee become reasonable after some nerfs, and heretic became mostly reasonable as well eventually.
Anberlin, Reigel, Automata
Crossbreed, Solyria
Amery, Aristocrat

Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

vxr wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 9:02 PM
Because that is what makes SM unique is that the pet intercepts and then the SM can cast. Why should BDs be allowed to insta life tap? They can life tap through melee and through normal casting interrupts. Why can minstrels stun and DD while getting interrupted. skalds can mezz, snare and DD. Champs can snare and DD.

The pet now takes 3X more damage than before. I have had plenty of times were I would have to recast the pet before the nerf. If your not killing the pet now than I am going to assume your doing something wrong. Look at the number of solo SM kills for the week. It has dropped down significantly. I don't know what solo players want. They want everyone to be the same class with the same abilities? Nerf minstrels next. Than skalds and necro and then the only solo we are going to see are stealthers. And good lord we know that most of them don't like to solo. A class without speed or stealth needs to be strong 1v1 if they have any chance of being successful solo.

As you say, it's unique .. all others casters have to quickcast or moc (bd is another category and is from SI) .. champ/minis/skalds aren't straight casters .. I compare SM with Cabby .. they both have summoned pet .. that stuns .. they both have lifedrain .. they both have root .. so why SM has to able to cast while in melee and Cabby don't? .. but ok . let's say that Mythic in far 2001 thinking about "realm balance" give the SM pet the ability to intercept .. the problem here isn't the intercept itself .. but how often it occurs .. I could understand that "sometimes" a SM can cast while in melee .. but not that he's "sometimes" hit while the majority of the blows directed to him are intercepted .. and that's the feeling when attacking SM .. and I hadn't this feeling in all the other servers I've played since 2001 .. so what I'm thinking is that this thing is related to Phoenix server
Tirigon RR10 Lone Enforcer Nightshade

Re: Nerf Spiritmaster pet intercept again

dearen75 wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020 2:00 PM
vxr wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020 9:02 PM
Because that is what makes SM unique is that the pet intercepts and then the SM can cast. Why should BDs be allowed to insta life tap? They can life tap through melee and through normal casting interrupts. Why can minstrels stun and DD while getting interrupted. skalds can mezz, snare and DD. Champs can snare and DD.

The pet now takes 3X more damage than before. I have had plenty of times were I would have to recast the pet before the nerf. If your not killing the pet now than I am going to assume your doing something wrong. Look at the number of solo SM kills for the week. It has dropped down significantly. I don't know what solo players want. They want everyone to be the same class with the same abilities? Nerf minstrels next. Than skalds and necro and then the only solo we are going to see are stealthers. And good lord we know that most of them don't like to solo. A class without speed or stealth needs to be strong 1v1 if they have any chance of being successful solo.

As you say, it's unique .. all others casters have to quickcast or moc (bd is another category and is from SI) .. champ/minis/skalds aren't straight casters .. I compare SM with Cabby .. they both have summoned pet .. that stuns .. they both have lifedrain .. they both have root .. so why SM has to able to cast while in melee and Cabby don't? .. but ok . let's say that Mythic in far 2001 thinking about "realm balance" give the SM pet the ability to intercept .. the problem here isn't the intercept itself .. but how often it occurs .. I could understand that "sometimes" a SM can cast while in melee .. but not that he's "sometimes" hit while the majority of the blows directed to him are intercepted .. and that's the feeling when attacking SM .. and I hadn't this feeling in all the other servers I've played since 2001 .. so what I'm thinking is that this thing is related to Phoenix server

It is not related to Phoenix server. I also played live since release and played a solo SM (somewhere around 2008-2011). The pet had the same intercept there. Solo SM was even stronger on live because you could buff the pet. The pet would rarely die intercepting. Also with faster casting from ToA stats and buff bots you could get more casts in during intercept. MLs also helped with ML9 pet, brittle guard and SL nodes.

I haven't played live in about 7 years so SM might be different now.

Cabbys have nearsight and disease which makes them much more desirable to groups. SM has intercept which allows them to solo but is pretty useless in 8 Mans.
Just take a look at RPs per class. Cabbys have a lot more RPS. SM is the ONLY class not represented on the top 250 RP list.
Bombzz - SM