Re: Style Overhaul Attempt 2

I wonder if there would have been the same outcry if the style review would have been the other way around inventing the old styles.
People would have complained that armsman has best snare and class x gets this which no one else gets and that they can not play like this.

I wonder if there would have been the same outcry if the style review would have been the other way around inventing the old styles.
People would have complained that armsman has best snare and class x gets this which no one else gets and that they can not play like this.

I think most players expected a "classic" approach with an innovative touch.

So far classic elements have been removed from most classes completely, which is a big problem for a server, that has a playerbase that loves convenient immensely
qol-improved, well balanced classic DaoC, as Phoenix created it pre style overhaul.
Xpovoc, Jukaron, Nephamael, Mauril, Lareya, Aideen, Njoro

classic daoc is long gone on phoenix, and staff has multiple times said that classic 1.65 was only a starting point

There have been so many changes, globally impacting everyone and individual changes to classes, the server did not have many similarities with classic anymore long before the style changes (and that's okay imo). I am surpised that someone would assume the style-change to take a classic approach, when the announcement pretty much stated what they will use as starting point and then tweak a bit...

RvR-tasks, NewFrontier, no buffbots, streak-protection, shroomcaps, multi-debuffs, poison application, LOS-PBAE, TWF-adjustments, NS-heals, newRAs, i could go on and on for quite some time listing big changes, and i haven't even started thinking about individual class changes

I don't believe the "that's not classic"-argument has much weight anymore.
If someone quits NOW because of "the game isn't classic enough anymore" i would assume they were lying to themselves. Either about the reason to quit now, or about how classic the server still was before the style changes

Sepplord wrote:
Thu 1 Jul 2021 9:18 AM
RvR-tasks, NewFrontier, no buffbots, streak-protection, shroomcaps, multi-debuffs, poison application, LOS-PBAE, TWF-adjustments, NS-heals, newRAs, i could go on and on for quite some time listing big changes, and i haven't even started thinking about individual class changes

Well at least for me the mile stones for not playing anything like classic daoc anymore are combined debuffs / base line nukes and style changes.
The other stuff was already used on Uthgard or just a minor customization.

I don't believe the "that's not classic"-argument has much weight anymore.
If someone quits NOW because of "the game isn't classic enough anymore" i would assume they were lying to themselves. Either about the reason to quit now, or about how classic the server still was before the style changes

After-enemy-block/parry is coming back, the world is saved, all is good

If we see similar changes to other classes, bringing back some "classic" flavor i am very positive about the future.

I thought it would be fixed fast but wasn't so far, so i'll point at it:

Right now there are some anytimers that are better than positionals and reactionaries.

The style-foodchain as it should be imho:

from low to high dmg:

(lowest)
-Anytime
-Frontal
-Anytime Followup
-Frontal Followup
-Positional (side/back)
-Reactionary
-Reactionary/Positional (side/back) Followup
(highest)

On top of that all reactionary openers should have neutral or positive defense bonuses, as you just "defended" a blow = better defense and they are the hardest requirement.

Please make VW front snare, part 2 of a 2 part chain, i can live with that, but currently being repeatedly and constantly snared, kited and nuked down at will and not being able to do anything about it is just silly, I have RA parry 6 and there is still no way to defend it.

and the 150 delve proc 50 style thats for 300 is equally silly on a front chain, but ill pick my battles with just stick with the snare

Nephamael wrote:
Wed 7 Jul 2021 4:04 AM
I thought it would be fixed fast but wasn't so far, so i'll point at it:

Right now there are some anytimers that are better than positionals and reactionaries.

The style-foodchain as it should be imho:

from low to high dmg:

(lowest)
-Anytime
-Frontal
-Anytime Followup
-Frontal Followup
-Positional (side/back)
-Reactionary
-Reactionary/Positional (side/back) Followup
(highest)

On top of that all reactionary openers should have neutral or positive defense bonuses, as you just "defended" a blow = better defense and they are the hardest requirement.

I've come to realise that i do not agree with a universal style-foodchain at all... I liked that Reavers had great Backstyle and VWs a great side-chain, both of which at the cost of having poor anytimes/frontals. I liked that Friar had a great anytime at the cost of good positionals.. etc....

I've come to realise that i do not agree with a universal style-foodchain at all... I liked that Reavers had great Backstyle and VWs a great side-chain, both of which at the cost of having poor anytimes/frontals. I liked that Friar had a great anytime at the cost of good positionals.. etc....

Special styles that break the general rule are totally ok and add uniqueness and flavor, the general rule should be true for all classes that have no such unique styles tho.

And right now that general rule is completely broken for a lot of characters, often favoring a playstyle of pressing exactly 1 button = the anytimer.