Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

gruenesschaf wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 6:59 PM
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 6:31 PM
If this becomes a permanent feature, I know at least a dozen people who are bailing.

DAoC is not an arena game, and intentionally splitting the low population is just silly.

It'll never be permanent, it is however a candidate to become a regular thing for a couple hours each time.
Maybe it relies on some mechanic where these 8mans must open up the event by some participation in full world rvr that benefits all play types

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

The following idea could be toally dumb, i haven't decided myself, but maybe it would work out in a positive way:

Link this event to the 5vs5 leveling event so they are active at the same time:

possible positive effects:
-less "elite"-players with premades in the levelling event
-RvR being deserted is less aweful -> there are two different options to play
-less servertime with an active event that impacts RvR (this is twosided though...)


possible negative effects:
-population is split between events....might result in the arena event not being utilized much
-a possibly positive effect on smallmen/solos when most 8mens are in the arena, is negated because the lvl-event is drawing that population anyways
-people who love both events have to split their time onto both events

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

What would be great for the next arena is the starting position each fight.
At the moment, some starting points are bad for casters to get space. The start of the 2. round or 3. round is the same as on the first round. Which means if you are unlucky and spawn with your castergrp at a position where the hill is behind you (volcanus f.e.) you are fucked, 2 times.

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

Even if I am a big fan of 8vs8, I think the 8vs8-Event is a nice idea, but it should only be an Event and not a permanent thing,
because I think open pvp is a important part of DAOC.

Maybe you should include a system like you did with the BG-Event.
When the people wont the 8vs8 event, they have to do/pay something for that.

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

Gilbert wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 12:45 PM
Even if I am a big fan of 8vs8, I think the 8vs8-Event is a nice idea, but it should only be an Event and not a permanent thing,
because I think open pvp is a important part of DAOC.

Maybe you should include a system like you did with the BG-Event.
When the people wont the 8vs8 event, they have to do/pay something for that.

Gruenes already confirmed it isn't a permanent feature. Right now, it's mainly used to quickly test balance changes.

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

How about working The Arena into the task rotation?

You could have it after every EV task (6 45 min Arenas per day)

Give the option to queue as a premade or get put in a random group like the demons breach event. Premades fight other premades, random grps vs random. Also, some kind of system that takes the average RR of the group itself and matches against a similar strength group.

Allow 8v8, 4v4 or 5v5, and 1vs1

If thats too much you could always reduce it to after every full task cycle for roughly 3 1hr arenas per day.
Norseka ~Healer (active)
Lycanorse ~ BD (active)
Norsegod ~ Savage (active)
<By The Sword>

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

This Friday, the 29th, we'll run another Arena test with group cap 8. This time there will be 2 runs:
EU prime time: 8pm cet to midnight cet
NA prime time: 8pm est to midnight est

This round will introduce scheduled starting and ending of the arena at specific times. This round will also start everyone at RR7L0 inside the event zone.

This round will be the first test of a new feature allowing us to set starting realm points / rr for an event. Events utilizing this feature, like the arena in this case, will have a separate set of realm points. Your RA point distribution can also be different while in the event zones and RA respecs for these will be free.
While in the arena you will earn RP at the rate of your event RR for both, your actual RP as well as your event RP. For example, if your actual RR outside of the event is RR10 and in the event you are RR5 you will, inside the event, earn as much RP as an RR5 person would and these earned rp are added to your normal RP as well as your event RP.

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

gruenesschaf wrote:
Mon 25 Jan 2021 10:49 PM
This Friday, the 29th, we'll run another Arena test with group cap 8. This time there will be 2 runs:
EU prime time: 8pm cet to midnight cet
NA prime time: 8pm est to midnight est

This round will introduce scheduled starting and ending of the arena at specific times. This round will also start everyone at RR7L0 inside the event zone.

This round will be the first test of a new feature allowing us to set starting realm points / rr for an event. Events utilizing this feature, like the arena in this case, will have a separate set of realm points. Your RA point distribution can also be different while in the event zones and RA respecs for these will be free.
While in the arena you will earn RP at the rate of your event RR for both, your actual RP as well as your event RP. For example, if your actual RR outside of the event is RR10 and in the event you are RR5 you will, inside the event, earn as much RP as an RR5 person would and these earned rp are added to your normal RP as well as your event RP.

Soo if I am reading this right, if you are RR3, and enter the event you are boosted to RR7 and if you are RR11 you are knocked down to RR7. So the RR3 guys will gain less rps than he normally would and the RR11 would gain more rps than he normally would....Did I misinterpret that?

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

You are correct. You will get rps like being rr7.

Ofc you can argue that you will get less rps because of being rr7 and not rr3. But on the other hand, you are having the same rank as the rr11 player and hence (in theory) you should have way better chances to win the fight (rr7 vs rr7 instead of rr3 vs rr11) and getting rps for killing players and not just getting rps for the cleanfight.
Building your world since 2017

Re: The Arena - FAQ & Feedback

Uthred wrote:
Tue 26 Jan 2021 12:47 AM
You are correct. You will get rps like being rr7.

Ofc you can argue that you will get less rps because of being rr7 and not rr3. But on the other hand, you are having the same rank as the rr11 player and hence (in theory) you should have way better chances to win the fight (rr7 vs rr7 instead of rr3 vs rr11) and getting rps for killing players and not just getting rps for the cleanfight.

K thanks, just making sure I wasn't interpenetrating that wrong, I was assuming you wanted to have more low RR players for more group diversity for testing, not just the standard high RR groups running the same setups in an instanced battleground. But your point makes sense as well.